LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Unbelievable you are so biased it's unreal you have obviously never stayed on decent Aire where the marked pitches are often larger than cramped campsite ones.
Not worth discussing with you any further.
And equally have you stayed in lovely spacious campsite... horses for courses.
Not all aires are spacious, not all campsites are crowded.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Bit crowded for my liking

temp00_copy_800x600.jpeg

...and I like a bit of grass :p

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Its an interesting thread, taking away all the daft 'willy waving' on here it does make you think about your style of motorhoming.

We prefer wild/offsite spots, usually in lovely locations next to rivers, lakes, beaches, in forests etc, somewhere quiet and often with only a few others there, sometimes none at all.

We have had cheap site offers, one was £1 a night for 5 nights max on a good quality site but it just didn't do it for us, too much like being in a gold fish bowl for all the others on the site to oggle at and we felt restricted by not being able to let the dogs potter in/out as they always had to be kept on a lead (which I understand needs to be done on a site), in the end we forfeited the last £1 night to go elsewhere and park up 'wild' so we could have privacy from the onlookers.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Either free or charged is for 24 hours from time of arrival.
Just to be controversial, the last time we were there the aire at Moulins by the river was charged x cents per hour via the card reader on the barrier.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Perhaps instead of wild campers and campsite campers, the title of unsociable campers and sociable campers might be more appropriate. It would appear those who want to wild camp enjoy their own company, whilst on a campsite you have the choice to do both.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Perhaps instead of wild campers and campsite campers, the title of unsociable campers and sociable campers might be more appropriate. It would appear those who want to wild camp enjoy their own company, whilst on a campsite you have the choice to do both.
Not necessarily, you can be sociable whilst 'wild' camping too, we've had nice chats to other MH owners on aires, in wild spots etc, we've helped out quite a few too which we are more than happy to do, however had they been on a site we may not even have got chatting to them as we don't like to invade their space and likely they ours, off site people tend to be more approachable so you can be as involved or not with other MHers wherever you are.

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year

I don’t think that could be further from the truth, I find people are sociable by default, be it on a site, in a pub or in a rural setting.

I don’t always engage in a long conversation but I’m never not open too, and always willing to be polite and helpful when needed.

OP
OP
pandas
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Can't remember seeing a motorhome advert, with the van parked 6m from others. They are always lake side, beach side, vineyard side, meadow side....never side by side :D
What about posting a link to all those hide away places you have discovered Jim so we can all have an opportunity to enjoy them.

OP
OP
pandas
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Unbelievable you are so biased it's unreal you have obviously never stayed on decent Aire where the marked pitches are often larger than cramped campsite ones.
Not worth discussing with you any further.
Aires fill quite a specific type of camping opportunity and we have found at times to be very useful, not I might add based on cost but their convenience. They also have a code of conduct and are managed on a local basis either privately or by the local authorities. Their location and facilities are also widely published. Please, please somebody communicate a link to the equivalent in the UK. The concept here would be brilliant.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Aires are not "accommodation"... they're carparks...
Here's a few 'car parks' I've stayed in, there are dozens more like this, come and go as you please, no booking in/out and mostly free or less then ten quid.
Aires (1).jpg
Aires (2).jpg
Aires (3).jpg
Aires (4).jpg
Aires (5).jpg
Aires (6).jpg
Aires (7).jpg

I'm beginning to believe you've never stopped on a French aire.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Having toured France over the past 15 years I agree their are numerous nice aires, equally there are as many not so nice aires/car parks. Nobody ever posts the bad ones with sometimes facilities that are disgusting.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
No accommodation* on the planet works like that...

*Apart from some dodgy hourly rate motels.
Have you ever stayed on an Aire? Whenever we have had to pay (which isn’t often) then the charge is for twenty four hours from time of arrival. Most chargeable Aires work this way.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
What is an Aires in France?
A campervan road trip allows you to travel where you want, when you want - and to stay for free, believe it or not. ... These motorhome stopovers, known as Aires, are car parks and farms that allow campervans to stop overnight, often for free.

Google search.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I have frequently stayed on carparks..
Have you stayed in a hotel which charges by the hour :whistle2:
I’m not that sort of man. Where did the hotel bit come from? As far as I’m aware we’re talking about campsites, Aires and the like. If I wanted to stay in a hotel I wouldn’t have a motorhome.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Even the companies running them describe them as car parks. I will continue to use them no matter what we like to call them.
Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 00.07.29.png

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Equally few post photographs of campsites, or the industrial estate, or the supermarket car park, or the lay bye, or the street, always the scenic photograph by the lake or the mountains. In these threads why not have a balanced view.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Carparks charge by this method, accommodation doesn't.

I have stayed in accomodation charged for 24 hours from arrival - aires which become accomodation as soon as I park my comfortable MH on it.

Geoff

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Bit crowded for my liking

View attachment 435823

...and I like a bit of grass :p
For us it really depends on where it is, couldn't really care less about the cost unless its excessive and don't really need/want ablutions. I don't recognise this spot but if it wawas next to something we wanted to visit or had a fantastic view then we would almost certainly choose it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
When i park somewhere close to what i want to visit i couldn't really care less what it looks like. I dont plan to sit outside in it admiring the view. I'm inside with the blinds closed either watching tv, reading , cooking or sleeping. The view inside is the same wherever i park. Its the location to where i want to be , the convenience and whether its likely to be quiet and secure or not.

Carparks suit me just fine if they fall in to that category.

P.s. Grass etc especially when wet just creates mess inside .......ill take the hardstanding concrete

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
I'm not a fan of wildcamping

I am confused about the definition of ‘wild camping’. Pub car parks, lay-byes, boy racers, burying your toilet waste! Doesn’t sound like much fun to me. Had a brief look at the park4night sight for areas near ish us in the South East just to see what people are recommending. Ditto the issues I mentioned above with the occasional cul-de-sac in remote/rural area but also near houses where I would personally miffed if a few motorhomes stayed overnight. Not sure what the incentive is, they are not Aires, they are not in remote parts of Italy or Canada just seems to be an incentive based on cost. Why not stay in CL sites where they are set up, they have some facilities for dumping waste, grey and black and are in places that will not hack anybody off. If you want tob’wild’ it buy a small tent and walk off into the woods - just take your rubbish (and waste) back with you.
What about posting a link to all those hide away places you have discovered Jim so we can all have an opportunity to enjoy them.

Make you blooming mind up man!!

Also the point of a hide away place is it’s just that, a hide away.

I won’t be sharing any otherwise next time you’ll be there before me, probably looking for EHU and moaning that there’s no waste point.

Mar 8, 2015
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Scout SE
Exp
Since 2015
Download Search for Sites app. It’s great. Tells you where you can park up. Carparks that are free of small charge. Pub stopovers. Attraction carparks offering camping some with facilities. And it even tells you about actual camp sites including C&MC type ones as well. Uses GPS or you can tell it where your looking. I did a week in Scotland and only paid for 1 night at a site. (To empty and refuel). All the rest were free at the attractions i visited. Loads of recent reviews so you know people’s experiences and how safe you’ll be. Quietest night I had was me and 3 other vans. Definitely recommend it. Paid up subscription is £5 a year or website free.

The Lobster

Free Member
Aug 13, 2011
Borders of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Bürstner A576
Exp
Still getting started
Wild Camping does have a legal definition in Scotland.

That's because the definition was needed as part of the Scottish Outdoor Access Code (the so-called Right to Roam).

Whilst wild camping by that definition doesn't including sleeping in Vans, the two are quite complementary. Stopping overnight at side of a public road is perfectly legal under the road traffic act, and in Scotland there are plenty of out of the way places to do that. Having parked up you can then exercise your right to roam, in the knowledge that trespass is a hard to prosecute civil offence.

Of course nothing stopping you basing yourself in your van, then going off into the hills for some overnight 'wild camping' with a tent

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back