Hymer / Hella spoil my weekend again (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Hi David

That really isn't good, I did think about your CCTV as well. You might have to swallow your pride and talk to TW along the lines of not fit for purpose "pretty please"

Take some really good photos of just the glass area to point out that there are no stone chip markings.

Good luck.

Martin

it will be like wasting good breath Martin, talking to TW hoping for any recompense.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I

have put LEDs in the drls so they don’t get so hot(y)
Had both of the DLR bulbs blow in the same month at about 2½ years old and the bulb holders were quite burnt, as I had already done the deal to change the van didn't bother with leds, would have done if keeping. Some atribute the glass going due to the heat from the DLR's but I don't think so, a headlamp bulb gets 2½ times as hot.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Does anybody know why they are so expensive, who is making their fortune here?

Hymer? Hella? Dealers?

Somebody is onto a good thing for a headlight, that's for sure. If they were a respectable price then it wouldn't be so bad, but how much:mad:

@funflair just bought some of the older type for his Flair for about £70

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
You buying from Campirama?
No Dürrwang gave me nearly what we paid for ours three years ago and the have the van we wanted, we are going home that way to have a look at it and hopefully set a date to collect it.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Does anybody know why they are so expensive, who is making their fortune here?

Hymer? Hella? Dealers?

Somebody is onto a good thing for a headlight, that's for sure.

I did try a direct approach to Hella last time, they will not deal direct

I think the UK dealers are taking the p1ss, they have been changed in Germany for quite a lot less, but there are variations, mine has Bi Xenon lights and washers, some don't

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
I did try a direct approach to Hella last time, they will not deal direct

I had a friend in Germany get mine from a local dealer.
But first, as the company he works for manufacture components for Hella and he had a contact there, he tried to source either the complete unit or a glass direct. Still absolutely no chance.

Al-Di

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 15, 2014
prestwich
Funster No
MH
Eura Mobil A Class
Exp
since 2013
can the lens be replaced with a poly carbonate sheet,??

I'd like to try if someone has an old len's(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
No Dürrwang gave me nearly what we paid for ours three years ago and the have the van we wanted, we are going home that way to have a look at it and hopefully set a date to collect it.
Yes German/Belgium trade in prices are amassing, not greedy like UK dealers.
When we traded ours for €60k our dealer said it someone wants without a warranty they can have it for €60k if they want a warranty €65k a couple of week later it was on his website for €65½k tyre to his word.
At the time €60k was £54k UK dealer offered £40k robbing basteds.
That's why I won't buy from UK dealers on principle. So far we have have bought 1 caravan in Germany & 3 Motorhomes in Belgium, can't afford to buy the UK.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

I will definitely keep this casing, but not sure how good a seal you would get with a bonded cover, my next issue could be changing HID bulbs

Sstiously annoyed though, posted on Hymer owners group on FB there are masses of similar on there but Hymer will not admit fault

Looks like the earlier thoughts of 06-09 models was a red herring, apparently one of the fixings is an adjuster but I don’t think mine has one, maybe mine was too early a build

I do know I will be selling mine to a Hymer dealer when fixed let them have the risk and not buying another Hymer, once sold I will do my very best to put anybody else off buying one with this type of light

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Yes German/Belgium trade in prices are amassing, not greedy like UK dealers.
When we traded ours for €60k our dealer said it someone wants without a warranty they can have it for €60k if they want a warranty €65k a couple of week later it was on his website for €65½k tyre to his word.
At the time €60k was £54k UK dealer offered £40k robbing basteds.
That's why I won't buy from UK dealers on principle. So far we have have bought 1 caravan in Germany & 3 Motorhomes in Belgium, can't afford to buy the UK.
Certainly a better deal that’s why we have gone back to them the van we are buying is loaded with extras and still a lower price than UK.(y)(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
file:///C:/Users/David/Downloads/HELLA-HEADLAMP-FAILURE.pdf

this made a very interesting read for all Hymer owners with tear drop lights

edit - oops link doesn't work, let me try and work that out

Attachments

• HELLA-HEADLAMP-FAILURE.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 61
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I will definitely keep this casing, but not sure how good a seal you would get with a bonded cover, my next issue could be changing HID bulbs

Sstiously annoyed though, posted on Hymer owners group on FB there are masses of similar on there but Hymer will not admit fault

Looks like the earlier thoughts of 06-09 models was a red herring, apparently one of the fixings is an adjuster but I don’t think mine has one, maybe mine was too early a build

I do know I will be selling mine to a Hymer dealer when fixed let them have the risk and not buying another Hymer, once sold I will do my very best to put anybody else off buying one with this type of light

What are you going to replace it with David, any thoughts yet?
Is it really over a £1000 to replace a headlight?

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
What are you going to replace it with David, any thoughts yet?
Is it really over a £1000 to replace a headlight?

knowing my luck the price will now be even higher than 2 years ago, the last one was £1500 + fitting

I don't really think I have any choice but use a UK dealer, the small consolation I have is getting the VAT back and some tax, so the net rpice will be similar to the continental price

But I think I will be selling it immediately, the FB Hymer owners group are seething with cross owners whose lights have failed, one has fitted three units already o_O

I cant see how this isn't happening to German versions and I cant believe Hymer are just shutting their eyes and ears to the problem

seems like it is an installation issue

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
knowing my luck the price will now be even higher than 2 years ago, the last one was £1500 + fitting

I don't really think IO have any choice but a UK dealer, the small consolation I have it getting the VAT back and some tax, so the net rpice will be similar to the continental price

But I think I will be selling it immediately, the FB Hymer owners group are seething with cross owners hose lights have failed, one has fitted three units already o_O

I cant see how this isn't happening to German versions and I cant believe Hymer are just shutting their eyes and ears to the problem

Can't blame you David for selling, it is disgusting price wise for a headlight, it makes you think that Hymer know that are crap but make so much money on them that they don't do anything. Wow 3 units at Hymer dealer price would be about 5 grand with fitting for headlights:mad:.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

I am pretty sure that it's a double curve so would need a tool making up and vac forming, not the end of the world though.

Martin

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Can't add any practical help or advice David, just feel gutted for you. Not what you need, especially after your recent run of events at home, business etc.
Bet you hoped your holiday was a fresh reboot.

Hope you get it sorted in good time for Chester. I've got some Gin for you to sample.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I am pretty sure that it's a double curve so would need a tool making up and vac forming, not the end of the world though.

Martin

I,m surprised Martin that someone hasn't already done this and started selling them from a van or unit somewhere. New ones could surely be engineered for a fraction of £1500 plus fitting.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Certainly a better deal that’s why we have gone back to them the van we are buying is loaded with extras and still a lower price than UK.(y)(y)
Local dealer has a couple similar spec to ours 28k more than what we paid.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I,m surprised Martin that someone hasn't already done this and started selling them from a van or unit somewhere. New ones could surely be engineered for a fraction of £1500 plus fitting.

I bet Hella have a small place in China attaching glass to the casing for 50p a go

If I had more knowledge I would have dived into TW's skip that they said they couldn't o_O and got mine back to get repaired

all that is wrong is the bloody glass, everything else is fine :mad:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I don't know how many have been replaced on warranty and how many have been paid for but yes it would seem like an opportunity for someone, I know I wouldn't be keen on spending that sort of money on a regular basis.

Martin

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
What you getting next?

Local dealer has a couple similar spec to ours 28k more than what we paid.

will you lot get a room and have a private meeting, I keep hoping I have some more advice for my plight and find you lot chatting :p

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I think you have been very patient with your Hymer @DavidG58 - think after the issues you have had I would have changed for a different machine before now.

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
I bet Hella have a small place in China attaching glass to the casing for 50p a go

If I had more knowledge I would have dived into TW's skip that said they couldn't o_O and got mine back to get repaired

all that is wrong is the bloody glass, everything else is fine :mad:

Yes I know what you mean David, I hate getting ripped off but its the same with a lot of vans not just Hymer, but our Hymer S820 double glazed side windows blew, Hymer wanted £1500+fitting for new ones. All for bits of double glazed glass, I bought some glass twice the size for the timber front house window for £35 from a local double glazing firm, operating from a unit, fitted them myself.
Wonder if £1500 is a figure they just make up for everything they have a monopoly on:LOL:.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

I don't really think I have any choice but use a UK dealer, the small consolation I have is getting the VAT back and some tax, so the net rpice will be similar to the continental price

But I think I will be selling it immediately, the FB Hymer owners group are seething with cross owners whose lights have failed, one has fitted three units already o_O

The market is buoyant at the moment so they just refer everything back to the dealer a few years ago when the market was down Hymer couldn't have been more helpfull, not just Hymer all manufacturers. Headlamps in new models are polycarbonate and a fraction of the price.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back