Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If you use it then it's a necessity
If you don't then it's just a toy
Very true. I have had various gadgets and extras over the years, some I have used others have been relegated to the shed. It’s definitely each to their own. I don’t have a tv but take the laptop to watch films on. We rarely use ehu so rely on the solar panel to charge phones etc. I wouldn’t be without the shower, not exactly a gadget but as the wife of a motocrosser it comes into its own in the middle of muddy or dusty fields. Our Moho came with blue floor lights tho :LOL:

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
I just pick up one of these on the way....don’t need a TV then.....or indeed anything else.

57A568E1-875E-4C4F-805B-347DA6C139DE.jpeg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Well guilty as charged :giggle: we like our van to be a mini apartment that we can take anywhere with all the mod cons of apartment living, I love being able to do this in the middle of a field without being tied to the National grid, so yes all the toys and the batteries and solar to power it.

Done all the tent camping, cycle camping, sleeping in an estate car, caravans etc etc and now we want spoiling(y)

But to answer the question posed, none of it is essential, it's just nice to have.

Martin
Is the new van all you wished for and more?!

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I feel sorry for the people that have motorhomes that cost more than we have bought houses for .....
Nice that you feel sorry for us, but our first house cost us £5000. Now where did I see that caravanette with pop-up and damp? 🤣

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Is the new van all you wished for and more?!
Hi Anthea

Yes thanks we like it, not saying it’s perfect of course and we would change some things if we could (but we can’t) I was worried I might not like the exterior style but it’s nice:giggle: and it drives nice so phew what a relief. Hope to give you a tour one day.

Martin

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
What are these 'oils' that are 'essential' that I have seen on my wife's get ready table? If they are 'essential', how come I haven't got any? :crying:

Craig

I've got liters of the stuff in my motorhome.
5 liters of Castrol GTX, but also some three in one, and of course WD40, I think they are all essential, even that expensive all weather cycle chain lube that costs about £8 for a shot glass size bottle.

Then there is the neck oil that I store in the fridge........ :drinks:

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hi Anthea

Yes thanks we like it, not saying it’s perfect of course and we would change some things if we could (but we can’t) I was worried I might not like the exterior style but it’s nice:giggle: and it drives nice so phew what a relief. Hope to give you a tour one day.

Martin
So glad you are happy !
I’ll be first in the queue for a nosey!!😂

The Coops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2019
The Fylde
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact DL
Exp
Yes, thank you
This could turn into a comic thread?
Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

Terry Jones: You're right there Obediah.

Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin'here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

EI: Without milk or sugar.

TJ: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
Licked the road? Luxury we just use an old DAMP cardboard box and forage off the local tip

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've got liters of the stuff in my motorhome.
5 liters of Castrol GTX, but also some three in one, and of course WD40, I think they are all essential, even that expensive all weather cycle chain lube that costs about £8 for a shot glass size bottle.

Then there is the neck oil that I store in the fridge........ :drinks:
You forgot the most important oil of all, one that you cannot buy ... it's usually a vital requirement when you come to wash and polish it ... what is it?

Elbow oil! :LOL:

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
This could turn into a comic thread?
Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

Terry Jones: You're right there Obediah.

Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin'here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

EI: Without milk or sugar.

TJ: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

I would prefer an Australian wine, as per the Monty Python Australian wine review:

"Another good fighting wine is Melbourne Old-and-Yellow, which is particularly heavy and should be used only for hand-to-hand combat.

Quite the reverse is true of Château Chunder, which is an appellation contrôlée, specially grown for those keen on regurgitation; a fine wine which really opens up the sluices at both ends.

Real emetic fans will also go for a Hobart Muddy, and a prize winning Cuvee Reserve Château Bottled Nuit San Wogga Wogga, which has a bouquet like an aborigine's armpit."

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
Most things in life aren’t a necessity, but they do make life easier and more fun:giggle:

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
I find it fascinating how many threads I read on here about the "gadgets" and "necessities" that seem to be carried around in Funsters' MHs. Coffee machines, Instant Pots, curling tongs, washing machines, TVs and DVD players, sine wave inverters and huge banks of batteries to power the aforesaid "things". I could go on but you are probably bored already. I naively thought that the idea of a MH was to "get away from it all" and enjoy a more relaxed existence! Now, I do admit to taking my computer with me as I always keep a travel blog, but I used to hand write it (remember handwriting??) long ago and I do have solar panel and battery master to ensure my battery is always topped up. I find an EHU a good convenience but I would hate it to be a necessity when I go away (mere dreams at the moment!) when "encumbered" by my "necessary" electrical items. Each to their own I know, but a good book, a glass of wine and a sunny evening under the awning seems to do me OK and has done for almost ??? years now.

I'm with you on this one. I see the van as a way of being as self-sufficient as possible while making my way through the world, so I am a bit perturbed at some current trends to sell even relatively small PVCs with microwaves, induction hobs, and fridges that rely on EHU.

Our current van can go without hook-up pretty much indefinitely when it comes to electric; the LPG needs topping up maybe once a month at most. So, it's just the bog (that needs emptying after about four/five days) and the water that needs filling maybe at about the same interval. If I were rich I would probably fit a gas-fired combusting toilet, so no need to bother about cassette-emptying. That would just leave the water to find. Rain-harvesting would be good, but too much solar on the roof to allow that. Maybe the solar panels could be angled so that the rain slid off into a channel?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I use the same in the van as in the house. which isn't anything. No tv, rarely even listen to radio/music. No use for a micro wave/oven. I do have a 3kw inverter that I bought some years back for the other van but couldn't think why I wanted to fit it? Trying to summon up a reason to fit it in this one but can't at the moment.:unsure:

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
When we ordered as we were offered all sorts of extras as part of deal. Said no but they came anyway. First thing I did was remove TV, next the microwave. As long as we have plenty of gas and a reasonable drop of 12 volt I'm happy. Don't worry about what others have or haven't got as long as they're happy and enjoying life.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I was trying to add the quote from SpeedyDux and Funflair which were next to each other but failed miserably. :(

Just wanted to say that this shows how similar we are and yet how differently we motorhome. Both ways are great, both ways suit and make the participants happy and neither are wrong or right.

Just to confuse, sometimes we go away with just food, drink and a good book, othertimes the motorhome is full of gadgets such as lap top, IPads, hair curlers and yes, the flashing pole lights. All depends on where we are going, who with or just our mood. Vive La Difference!
Just tap the righthand word quote

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
To each his own. I like convenience and flexibility while I travel. I bought a Motorhome to travel when and where I like, and fitted it with gadgets for convenience (and no small degree of comfort. I’ve done my time in a tent, and have no wish to repeat it.) Convenience is very important to me because as a lone parent I rarely get five minutes downtime, so all those things that ‘only take five minutes’ can mean no downtime at all, and that’s not much of a holiday.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Well guilty as charged :giggle: we like our van to be a mini apartment that we can take anywhere with all the mod cons of apartment living, I love being able to do this in the middle of a field without being tied to the National grid, so yes all the toys and the batteries and solar to power it.
Done all the tent camping, cycle camping, sleeping in an estate car, caravans etc etc and now we want spoiling(y)
But to answer the question posed, none of it is essential, it's just nice to have.
Martin
Opulence and silver service lifestyle have their place but to me this place is not while camping. It is a bit like having a static caravan that needs wide load assistance to up routs and move.
Camping mobility is all important.(y), I'm not a fan of static caravans that can move under their own steam.;):giggle:.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Opulence and silver service lifestyle have their place but to me this place is not while camping. It is a bit like having a static caravan that needs wide load assistance to up routs and move.
Camping mobility is all important.(y), I'm not a fan of static caravans that can move under their own steam.;):giggle:.
;)
i known that one BUT how do I do a multi quote ?

Hi Scotch mist I usually shy away from multi quotes but thought I would try;) so I clicked +quote on both posts and then went to reply as normal and then a box of quotes pops up and you can insert them, I think they insert in the order that you pick them but you can rearrange with cut and paste, then you just reply in between the quotes, give it a go.

You can always use "preview" to see what you have done and if you mess up just delete it(y)

Martin

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Trying again
You

you could create a banned league table based on number of times banned or length of time you were banned for (still not sure if there are different length bans)
We have our Kindles for the evenings although I still prefer to read a paperback. No TV. A travel kettle is about as gadgetty as we get. To be surrounded by nature is why we go away.
;)

Hi Scotch mist I usually shy away from multi quotes but thought I would try;) so I clicked +quote on both posts and then went to reply as normal and then a box of quotes pops up and you can insert them, I think they insert in the order that you pick them but you can rearrange with cut and paste, then you just reply in between the quotes, give it a go.

You can always use "preview" to see what you have done and if you mess up just delete it(y)

Martin
Same here - can do one but if I do a 2nd the 1st one disappears?

Way hey - it works - sort off - I kept missing the button which says insert quotes - thanks.
I am going to drive you all bonkers now with my multi quotes until I get bored with it :giggle: (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Same here - can do one but if I do a 2nd the 1st one disappears?
When you're on the post you want to quote click on +Quote (the one in the middle):
1591175795875.png
Once you've done that you can move to the next post you want to quote and click +Quote again, as many times as you like, once you've done quoting go down to your reply box and you can insert the quotes and reply to each (make sure you're outside each of the quote boxes though otherwise it will be included with the one you've quoted.

The only request I would make though is that if you want to quote a lot or posts and reply to each of them individually, don't put too many in a single response as it can get difficult for others to then wade through them and/or respond afterwards ... gus-lopez is a 'master quoter'. :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back