HOW ESSENTIAL IS/ARE....? (1 Viewer)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I find it fascinating how many threads I read on here about the "gadgets" and "necessities" that seem to be carried around in Funsters' MHs. Coffee machines, Instant Pots, curling tongs, washing machines, TVs and DVD players, sine wave inverters and huge banks of batteries to power the aforesaid "things". I could go on but you are probably bored already. I naively thought that the idea of a MH was to "get away from it all" and enjoy a more relaxed existence! Now, I do admit to taking my computer with me as I always keep a travel blog, but I used to hand write it (remember handwriting??) long ago and I do have solar panel and battery master to ensure my battery is always topped up. I find an EHU a good convenience but I would hate it to be a necessity when I go away (mere dreams at the moment!) when "encumbered" by my "necessary" electrical items. Each to their own I know, but a good book, a glass of wine and a sunny evening under the awning seems to do me OK and has done for almost ??? years now.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
This could turn into a comic thread?
Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

Terry Jones: You're right there Obediah.

Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin'here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

EI: Without milk or sugar.

TJ: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
While I concur with the vast majority of what you say, I note you say, " I find an EHU a good convenience "
For that reason we have an inverter. It allows me to utilise other equipment that can be used for maximum convenience and economy.
I fail to see why the lack of AC Electricity should prevent me taking full advantage of equipment already in the vehicle and go to places without an EHU in sight.
Addendum.
I am surprised that 'vans are not already fitted with Inverters. Many come with with solar panels, why not Inverters. It would be an additional selling feature.
Please Note. I appreciate that this would probably not apply to UK manufactured 'vans. It took makers here years to believe that anything bigger than a 6kgs gas bottle could be carried.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well guilty as charged :giggle: we like our van to be a mini apartment that we can take anywhere with all the mod cons of apartment living, I love being able to do this in the middle of a field without being tied to the National grid, so yes all the toys and the batteries and solar to power it.

Done all the tent camping, cycle camping, sleeping in an estate car, caravans etc etc and now we want spoiling(y)

But to answer the question posed, none of it is essential, it's just nice to have.

Martin

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We have our Kindles for the evenings although I still prefer to read a paperback. No TV. A travel kettle is about as gadgetty as we get. To be surrounded by nature is why we go away.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I have all the gadgetry at home but barely get time to use it - always some chores to get in the way...

...so, sometimes, being away in the van allows me [motivates] me to enjoy those pleasures.

It's a very luddite opinion - why stop at electric powered gadgets? Surely getting away from it all should include, the fridge for that wine.
Let's not bother with heating, or hot water, or a cooker. Get a camp fire going for those necessities :doh:.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
I was trying to add the quote from SpeedyDux and Funflair which were next to each other but failed miserably. :(

Just wanted to say that this shows how similar we are and yet how differently we motorhome. Both ways are great, both ways suit and make the participants happy and neither are wrong or right.

Just to confuse, sometimes we go away with just food, drink and a good book, othertimes the motorhome is full of gadgets such as lap top, IPads, hair curlers and yes, the flashing pole lights. All depends on where we are going, who with or just our mood. Vive La Difference!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It,d be pretty boring if we all wanted the same!. It's like cars some see them as just a way of getting from a to b some want more comfort or speed some unashamedly want luxury or a flashy one to show off. Some like getting the best out of an old one others want the latest reg plate to show off but try to justify it to themselves as saving on garage bills although they know the depreciation will dwarf them.

Sep 19, 2016
Llyn Peninsula
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globebus t7
Exp
Four years
Some people even take bikes with them that haven't got electric motors, how weird.

Very weird Lenny. I have to thank you for keeping Roy busy during lockdown, he has read all your posts on your upgrades and is currently working his way through them, thanks for putting on links to buy everything, just waiting for the deliveries now .

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I am proud to say we have the minimum tech in our van and locker space to spare.
A sat nav was a big leap forward brought after having one in the work van. A small TV / DVD player was nice for winter trips. The kids bought me an I Pad a couple of years ago, he will never work it was the passing comment. This year I have bought a thing to get the internet when we are away. Not used it yet so I can’t comment on it. The latest toy is a small slow cooker.
I didn’t buy this van for its tech features and modern gizmos. It was the layout we wanted and low mileage at a price we could justify. It was nice to find it had an extra leisure battery and a solar panel fitted. The bike rack has come off and the tow bar is handy as a parking stop.
I feel sorry for the people that have motorhomes that cost more than we have bought houses for and full of gizmos and gadgets that have been out of use during lockdown. Cheaper and simpler is our way of thinking.

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Very weird Lenny. I have to thank you for keeping Roy busy during lockdown, he has read all your posts on your upgrades and is currently working his way through them, thanks for putting on links to buy everything, just waiting for the deliveries now .
Think Roy has been ‘ Suckered’ 😀

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Now the one gadget I would add, is a trailer........well a Sauna to be honest just how decadent would that be to have your own with you :)

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
Our first moho had a bike rack which we never used , didn’t have a bike. Our current one doesn’t have one but now I have a folding death trap which takes up too much room so it lives at home in the shed 😀
I nagged the boss until she let me buy a Huawei mifi unit which came with 12gb data preloaded. We used it up very quickly and never reloaded it because it’s cheaper now to use my iPhone as a hotspot ! Shall I go on ?

Thought not 😀

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
I thought of an I Phone instead of the Huewei thing but I am of the age when phones are for phone calls. I have learnt how to delete text messages. The phone sales people dont like me when I wont buy there clever phones, smart phones because they do to much.
Now I know what he trailer is for, thanks Coolcats.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
I find an EHU a good convenience

Well after a few days off grid and with solar we find that we need to top off our electric, would be more than an inconvenience if John's CPAP failed overnight more than occassionally. have yet to test this van in earnest, little room for a second leisure battery, but may well spend the money we have saved, by not being away, on a lithium battery. use a small solar charger for phone and kindle.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Ignoring the fact that I'm tighter than a ducks arse, I always travel as light as possible so avioding buying any more fuel than is strictly necessary.:whistle2::whistle2:
But - I have definitely noticed that 'stuff' gets put in the van - but is rarely is ever taken out again. :Eeek: :Eeek:
Vans, like me, seem to gain weight as they get older.:drinks::drinks:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I would say I’m probably guilty of having gadgets but I think if you are going to be out in your van for three or four months at a time over wintering it’s quite nice to have a telly for the dark evenings or the option of an inverter instead of hook up.😊 everyone has different needs I don’t read many books but like other things.

Jul 31, 2019
Devon
Funster No
MH
Swift Bessecar 584
Exp
Since April 2019
This could turn into a comic thread?
Michael Palin: Ahh.. Very passable, this, very passable.

Graham Chapman: Nothing like a good glass of Chateau de Chassilier wine, ay Gessiah?

Terry Jones: You're right there Obediah.

Eric Idle: Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin'here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?

MP: Aye. In them days, we'd a' been glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.

GC: A cup ' COLD tea.

EI: Without milk or sugar.

TJ: OR tea!

MP: In a filthy, cracked cup.

EI: We never used to have a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
Then we' d get out of hole in the ground and lick road clean with tongue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back