Gaslow (1 Viewer)

Jan 8, 2022
Funster No
MH
Bessacar 599
Hi, Message below posted to Gaslow Company. Has anyone experienced this problem?

Steve
Below
Hi

Thanks for help

2 Images attached

As mentioned, we filled both up on Friday and both gauges showed as full

Since Friday we have boiled 3 kettles and used cooker once and now half empty. When we did same in spain last year one bottle lasted five weeks as we were on hook up for heating all the time as we are at moment. This morning it had used 1/4 tank approx. but now shows half empty?

Attached

Regards

Steve

Full Bottle and tap closed.jpg

Half full and closed at moment.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Although the gauges are the float type that are supposed to be fairly accurate a lot of people have problems with them. Best way is to weigh them.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
Be aware folks
I've just discovered that the only local garage for LPG has taken the pump out!
It seems I'm going to have to swap back to Calor.

Sod's law. I've just fitted a Dimes Wave to be able to remotely read the gas level in the first of the 2 x 11kg Gaslow tanks so it looks like I'll have no use for it now :mad::cry:

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Be aware folks

Sod's law. I've just fitted a Dimes Wave to be able to remotely read the gas level in the first of the 2 x 11kg Gaslow tanks so it looks like I'll have no use for it now :mad::cry:
Where are you . I have only recently got refillable and as yet had no issues I top.up when I need it

Asda in Cardiff has 2 lpg pumps

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Where are you . I have only recently got refillable and as yet had no issues I top.up when I need it

Yes just fill up on the road, as you do with diesel. I think I would have a diesel heater fitted, to reduce gas use, before returning to calor.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Be aware folks

Not having one locally doesn't bother me. Only filled up in my home town once in 3 years. If I am travelling I will be going a reasonable distance - there will be one somewhere near my route. I just look on the LPG.EU app for the nearest one on my route. I travel a lot in Europe too and most garages have them over there. I run just one Gaslow and have a calor as a back up.

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
As said Gauges are not accurate. Turn one off and run the other until it no longer works - then you will know how long it lasts.

Basildog

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 21, 2018
Funster No
I would agree that the clip on gauges on the older type Gaslow / Gasit bottles are not good at all.
But these newer Gaslow / Alugas multivalve gauges are pretty good 👍
Here’s a picture of roughly how to read the gauge.

image.jpg

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Be aware folks

You dont state where you are, so it could just be in your location.
In my area I am lucky to have several within a few miles, I am finding taxi companies are installing their own tanks to supply their drivers converted cars and also sell to the public. (y)

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria

North Devon.
Nearest garages now Minehead, Milton Damerel & Exeter area.

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
Why not just fill up on route like most of us do?
I don't drive & am not en route to anywhere as living in my MH until find new home.
My son has been coming once a fortnight to drive to what was nearest garage (about 30 mins away) which now has no pump

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I don't drive & am not en route to anywhere as living in my MH until find new home.
My son has been coming once a fortnight to drive to what was nearest garage (about 30 mins away) which now has no pump

Ahh, yes refillables aren’t great if you’re living in your van at a single location and don’t drive! That‘s quite a unique scenario that doesn’t apply to the vast, vast majority of users.👍

Ian

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
North Devon.
Nearest garages now Minehead, Milton Damerel & Exeter area.
It's just a matter of picking it up before you run out.
The nearest to my house is about 10miles away but I'd never use it as its not on route to anywhere
I just top.it up either on my way home or on the way out.
I did run.out of calor a few times but now have a back up canister cooker
Try not to worry just it it filled and then keep topping up
I understand gas anxiety but once you get into the route of topping up it so goes.

Edit just seen your not mobile. Maybe consider a very large calor bottle and get it delivered if possible. Your in a unique situation not sure how close you are to a campsite that has gas .they may help you

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Living in the van full time it's not going to be the cheapest option reverting to calor.
As said, fit a diesel heater for warmth and just use gas for cooking etc.
Diesels going to be available at any garage for a long time to come.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Frankly, it would have been if you were living in a caravan rather than a motorhome.

Motorhomes are designed for short stays in one place.
Caravans are much better for long term stays in one location.

My van is fitted with Gaslow AND Calor.
My local garage has also stopped selling LPG, so I simply fill up en-route to wherever I'm going.
I have the Calor as emergency back up (last swapped the bottle in 2019)

What it means is if I were static like yourself, I could get a couple of the large (47 Kg) domestic bottles delivered (About £80 quid each).
And plug them into the gas system on a 2m hose, but keep the GasLow system as backup.

It's a simple enough conversion to do DIY, but as it involves gas I'd recommend you get a gas certified person to do it.

If you get your son to take your van to VanBitz at Taunton they could sort it out whilst you wait. (Book ahead!!!)

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Get an emergency hose and use a big calor bottle if you aren’t moving for a while. 👍

daveclare

Free Member
Jun 26, 2018
North West
Funster No
MH
Florium Wincester
Exp
Europe & USA since April '21
Never had a problem with gauges on our 11kg gaslow bottles. Seem to be quite accurate. Never have a problem getting lpg, wherever we go in UK or Europe. Never used or needed calor and probably never will.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
I got a Gaslow 11kg about 2 years ago, so maybe I have one of the newer gauges? The gauge points at full for about the first 20% or so. But the end of red is roughly where empty is. So I think it's ok.

Jan 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Pilote P732 2011
Exp
3rd Time around, since 2000
Get an emergency hose and use a big calor bottle if you aren’t moving for a while. 👍

That would be the best idea, they deliver too so no need to move van other than to give it a run out.

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
Frankly, it would have been if you were living in a caravan rather than a motorhome.

My local garage has also stopped selling LPG, so I simply fill up en-route to wherever I'm going.

What it means is if I were static like yourself, I could get a couple of the large (47 Kg) domestic bottles delivered (About £80 quid each).
And plug them into the gas system on a 2m hose, but keep the GasLow system as backup.

It's a simple enough conversion to do DIY, but as it involves gas I'd recommend you get a gas certified person to do it.

If you get your son to take your van to VanBitz at Taunton they could sort it out whilst you wait. (Book ahead!!!)
MH was bought when my husband (who drove) was alive. I've just kept it on.

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria
Living in the van full time it's not going to be the cheapest option reverting to calor.
As said, fit a diesel heater for warmth and just use gas for cooking etc.
Diesels going to be available at any garage for a long time to come.
I'm ashamed to say that I know nothing about diesel heaters - not even where one would/could be fitted.
Is there a good site online which would tell me more?

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Adria

RV Installations in South Molton suggested a mix & match much as you suggest. They're qualified to do gas work, too, so if I end up having to make alterations they'd be nearer but many thanks for the Taunton info.

I'm moving to another site at the weekend. I'll look around to see if anyone else uses the big bottles as they're definitely the more economical option. If not, when I'm more settled in, I'll ask the owners.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Since Friday we have boiled 3 kettles and used cooker once and now half empty. When we did same in spain last year one bottle lasted five weeks as we were on hook up for heating all the time as we are at moment. This morning it had used 1/4 tank approx. but now shows half empty?
In Spain you are not likely to be putting the heating on much if at all which I assume you are here so it will gobble your gas.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back