Fridge help please

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Figaro, Jun 22, 2018.

1. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Ratings:
    +2,709
    I have had problems getting three way dometic fridge to stay lit on gas. It flashes, lights on gas, stops clicking. But after holding the button in for 20/30 seconds it starts flashing again, ie not lit.
    I have just replaced the thermocouple but still doing the same.
    Is there any technique to replacing thermocouple ? At the valve end I just pushed it on and tightened nut. At flame end, it sits firmly above the flame.
    Anything else that could cause symptoms ?
    Thanks

2. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Ratings:
    +8,167
    Position of the thermocouple is critical. The tip should be red-hot in use. The last one that gave me trouble was no more than 2mm out of place (it pushed through a ferrule in the burner shroud).

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +33,602
    as @tonyidle said..

and the hottest part of the flame is the tip of the dark blue cone which is inside the flame

persevere, and all hold the gas valve a bit longer, up to a minute

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. The gasman

The gasman Funster

Ratings:
    +286
    Not all that common but I have had a new thermocouple that's faulty. If possible try another thermocouple. Also make sure the flame is burning correctly, blue and be sure the gas valve end of the t'couple is tight

5. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Ratings:
    +72,207
    Unscrew the jet and give it a good blow out, just in case a minuscule bit of grit or some thing is partially blocking it..

But DON`T try poking anything down the TINY hole...

• Like it Like it x 1
  6. Shrimp

Shrimp Funster

Ratings:
    +2,925
    Hear, hear, never ever poke the jet hole out with something, someone I know nearly set fire to his van doing that as the jet material is soft it opened up the tiny hole and flames whipped up the side of the van!

• Like it Like it x 1
  7. The gasman

The gasman Funster

Ratings:
    +286
    We use fuse wire as it's too soft to damage the injector, if it's too small for fuse wire try a single brisle from a paint brush, or even wash out with water. If you hold the injector up to the light and look through it the hole should be round and even if not it has some dirt in it.

• Like it Like it x 1
  8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +33,602
  9. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Ratings:
    +33,780
    In years past, I too have used a piece of fine fuse wire to clear a gas jet, but these days, I find air pressure from a 12v tyre inflator compressor does the job, using the plastic coned nozzle.

I've also used the same to blow back on a friend's gas cooker on his narrow boat, when insufficient gas was getting through. The cause turned out to be a dead spider, somewhere in the gas line. ;) It all worked a treat after that. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Edit.......... @Figaro, I too agree about the Thermo Couple being the possible cause of the problem.

10. Richard and Ann

Richard and Ann Funster

Ratings:
    +3,307
    If you can unscrew the jet you can soak it in petrol overnight and that will probably clear it. It always fixes the turbo torch anyway.

11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Ratings:
    +2,603
    Mine had similar symptoms a few years ago (model RM6401L). It was caused by a faulty control box into which the thermocouple is linked. It is located up to the left looking at the rear of the fridge. It was diagnosed and replaced for me by Dave Newell.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Ratings:
    +2,709
    I tried lighting again and held button for 60-80 seconds and it lit. Woopie. Does that suggest probe badly positioned over piolt flame ?