Fridge help please (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I have had problems getting three way dometic fridge to stay lit on gas. It flashes, lights on gas, stops clicking. But after holding the button in for 20/30 seconds it starts flashing again, ie not lit.
I have just replaced the thermocouple but still doing the same.
Is there any technique to replacing thermocouple ? At the valve end I just pushed it on and tightened nut. At flame end, it sits firmly above the flame.
Anything else that could cause symptoms ?
Thanks

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have had problems getting three way dometic fridge to stay lit on gas. It flashes, lights on gas, stops clicking. But after holding the button in for 20/30 seconds it starts flashing again, ie not lit.
I have just replaced the thermocouple but still doing the same.
Is there any technique to replacing thermocouple ? At the valve end I just pushed it on and tightened nut. At flame end, it sits firmly above the flame.
Anything else that could cause symptoms ?
Thanks
Position of the thermocouple is critical. The tip should be red-hot in use. The last one that gave me trouble was no more than 2mm out of place (it pushed through a ferrule in the burner shroud).

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
as @tonyidle said..

and the hottest part of the flame is the tip of the dark blue cone which is inside the flame

persevere, and all hold the gas valve a bit longer, up to a minute

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Not all that common but I have had a new thermocouple that's faulty. If possible try another thermocouple. Also make sure the flame is burning correctly, blue and be sure the gas valve end of the t'couple is tight

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Unscrew the jet and give it a good blow out, just in case a minuscule bit of grit or some thing is partially blocking it..

But DON`T try poking anything down the TINY hole...

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
Unscrew the jet and give it a good blow out, just in case a minuscule bit of grit or some thing is partially blocking it..

Hear, hear, never ever poke the jet hole out with something, someone I know nearly set fire to his van doing that as the jet material is soft it opened up the tiny hole and flames whipped up the side of the van!

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984

We use fuse wire as it's too soft to damage the injector, if it's too small for fuse wire try a single brisle from a paint brush, or even wash out with water. If you hold the injector up to the light and look through it the hole should be round and even if not it has some dirt in it.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
In years past, I too have used a piece of fine fuse wire to clear a gas jet, but these days, I find air pressure from a 12v tyre inflator compressor does the job, using the plastic coned nozzle.

I've also used the same to blow back on a friend's gas cooker on his narrow boat, when insufficient gas was getting through. The cause turned out to be a dead spider, somewhere in the gas line. ;) It all worked a treat after that. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Edit.......... @Figaro, I too agree about the Thermo Couple being the possible cause of the problem.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
If you can unscrew the jet you can soak it in petrol overnight and that will probably clear it. It always fixes the turbo torch anyway.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Mine had similar symptoms a few years ago (model RM6401L). It was caused by a faulty control box into which the thermocouple is linked. It is located up to the left looking at the rear of the fridge. It was diagnosed and replaced for me by Dave Newell.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I tried lighting again and held button for 60-80 seconds and it lit. Woopie. Does that suggest probe badly positioned over piolt flame ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back