138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We’re booked to go but waiting to see what happens. I completely agree that Covid will be around, if not permanently, then probably for at least my lifetime.

However, I’m very hopeful that things will get better as the vaccines continue to be rolled out. There is no doubt that these vaccines are a game changer.

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
I don't think it's anything to do with the test itself, it's more likely to be to do with the process. Having just done a Lateral Flow Test for attendance at an event here's the steps:

1. Get a free kit
2. Carry out the test
3. Go onto the Government website and put in your details including the unique test kit number
4. Add your positive or negative test result
5. Receive an email or text from the Government website confirming your test result
6. Show the email or text confirming that you tested negative for Covid to whoever needs to know it

Hardly a robust process for people to be able to show that they are free from Covid is it?
Agreed, i found it very difficult to find a definitive answer to the antigen test, so went on the eurotunel website on things that are required to go to france, no free nhs tests, meaning i think, one you have to pay for, i can't see the difference myself.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Agreed, i found it very difficult to find a definitive answer to the antigen test, so went on the eurotunel website on things that are required to go to france, no free nhs tests, meaning i think, one you have to pay for, i can't see the difference myself.
💶💶💶💰💰💷💷💷 all about money. What difference does who paid for it make to the validity of the test?

Nov 6, 2019
Lancaster and Morecambe area
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 120
Exp
Since 2020
💶💶💶💰💰💷💷💷 all about money. What difference does who paid for it make to the validity of the test?
With the free NHS tests, you can do them yourself and then get 'proof' from the Government that you tested negative for Covid. Even if you had Covid at the time and tested positive! That's why other parties will not accept them. Would we be happy to accept similar 'proof' from visitors to the UK?

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
With the free NHS tests, you can do them yourself and then get 'proof' from the Government that you tested negative for Covid. Even if you had Covid at the time and tested positive! That's why other parties will not accept them. Would we be happy to accept similar 'proof' from visitors to the UK?
I think that's the only difference between the two, who does the recording of the test.
Makes the free NHS tests not worth the paper they are written on.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
So what is the cheapest cost for the test to get into France ?
The cheapest tests for getting back from Amber France ?
And the cheapest cost for getting back from a future (hopefully) green European country ?

No need to add them up for me, I m ok at figures ;)

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
I will read with interest, happy you had a good crossing though (y)
It is here if you have not already seen it.

Okay, so as I mentioned, I said I was going to leave a review of our recent sailing on Brittany Ferries new Flagship, Galicia. Its not good, from my point of view. So if any aficionados of Brittany Ferries that may be offended, please do not read on.

As big fans of Brittany Ferries, especially of its Spanish routes, we were looking forward to the new vessel arriving from China (Stena Ro-Ro). We like Cap Finistere and Pont Aven So, we have been waiting wit excitement to travel on Galicia.

We arrived far too early for the Ferry in our car, so turned away and had a packed lunch by the sea. We returned for check-in at 6pm, more than four hours before departure. The check in was slow, very. When we eventually arrived at the desk, the man we dealt with was rude and abrupt. I explained that I had not input our vehicle registration because the data they hold puts it over 1.83m, its not its 1.7. So after some grumbling he decided not to measure the height or apply a charge. When I questioned the £245 cancelation charge on my ticket, the reply was, "Nowt to do with me that, nothing I could do about it". Okay, so if that's the case, be more polite. They do have the facility to take payments for under declared vehicle dimensions though!.

Anyway, loading of the boat was quite efficient and quick I thought, despite being one of the last groups of vehicles to be a loaded.

At the car deck, plenty of space and wide lanes, not trucks to negotiate.

On trying to locate our cabin, there was no direct lift from car deck 5 Green. The lift did go to 9, but only to the Crew quarters. So, lift to floor seven, try to find stairs to deck 9. Cabin was easy to find though.

First impressions of the cabin were good. But as time went on, it was a big disappointment.

We had treated ourselves to a commodore Suite. Double bed, brewing up facilities, mini bar, direct access to the ships deck.

Problems:

*Poor water flow to cabin, second day, a dribble for a shower
*BF Quote "Large Flatscreen TV" Its not large. But I guess Larger than those in other cabins. You need binoculars to read anything on screen from the bed. It is also poorly located.
*The fixtures and fittings are poor quality.
*The Minibar was a cheap Chinese fridge with the control actually written in Chinese. The sort of thing you buy from Argos (it was cold though !)
*The BIG problem was the direct outside deck access.

First time we opened the door, a couple of people were sat up against it, they were very apologetic as were we. But then they put their chairs back when we closed the door.

When we managed to get to sit outside and be able to get a couple of chairs. Several people tried to walk inside. One couple were inching past me when I said "Sorry, that's our room". I think the man thought I had said "Have you got enough room?". The lady actually walked into our cabin and then was mortified as she had also misheard me. I just laughed it off and she was so apologetic. It was quite entertaining for the rest of the people on deck. There was piece of rope next to the door, so we had to wedge the door open with the bin and then put the rope across. You know what happened next!.

Dining & Bars:

Now onto food, mediocre at best. The cabin came with Commodore club access (£35 pp if they have availability with other cabins). We had tom queue for 20 mins the first time for some Tapas and a glass of wine. The second day we used it, another 20 min queue. I was given half a glass of wine, the bottle had run out. I thought no bother, I will go back later and get a refill. My wife queued again for 10 mins. Only to be told, they don't serve wine after 2pm. I guess a lot of people who have access, will sit and get there monies Worth. In truth, if we were paying, what we ate and drank on the two short visits would have cost us around £25-£30 on similar BF crossings. So for us, not worth the £35pp.

Evening dinner:

We are allocated a time slot of 6:15 for our sitting in the Al a Carte restaurant at the Bow of the Ship. The queue was 35 mins to getting to the counter. Your request food from the servers and take your tray to any free table. The food looked nice, it was shockingly poor. Luke warm a best. I guess we could of gone back to the end of the queue and selected other meals. But we rally could not be bothered. I ate a small bowl of Langoustines and my wife poked around looking for squid under some much of potato. The fries were like cardboard. We paid for a bottle of Chablis, £22, I've had better €1,50 wines from Spanish Supermarkets. We left, bitterly disappointed.

The Commodore Suites come with Continental breakfast served in the room. No order was taken for Friday morning, so we had to go to reception to request it. Saturday was the same lack of order. On both occasions, they did not even provide milk or sugar for the tea.

The main bar was closed.

Shopping:

I Noticed how much cheaper the shop is, now it is Duty Free. 200 Cigarettes which is the suggested limit is around £32, wines are cheaper, but you have reasonable limits on those kind of Purchases. We spent a lot of money in the shop as there were some good buys. One of My wife's preferred perfumes, normally £60 UK price, £50 reduced to £35. Some good wines from £4 upwards. they were also selling individual cans of beers, Maybe because the main bar was closed.

The Ship Itself:

I am not an Engineer, more a Technician who can Engineer things. Call me a jack of all trades, master of none I guess. That said, I think I could make a better job than some of the work I saw. Ill bet with some practice, My grandchildren all aged under 12 could weld better seams.

The ships tannoy system was inaudible On our deck, in our cabin and shower. Just let's hope there is not any emergency, if so the signal works better. looking around at details like, Pieces of make do wire, make do rope, over sized cable grommets packed out with silicone, worse still, on the car deck, insulation tape. missing screws from balustrades that dip and twist. Ill fitting flip mats, distorted door seals. Galicia has been in service for just over 6 months. I wonder how the build quality will stand up to the high volume of passengers. When I look around the Old Pride of Brugge, Stenas Holandica / Britanica, then Pont Aven and Cap Finsitere. You can see the difference in build quality.

The Crew:

All French that we met and spoke with. We could not fault them. Polite, courteous, even humorous. All smartly dressed as always and all happy to help, chat and even crack some jokes. One of the Maintenance Engineers accidentally (so he claimed) gave some passengers a slight shower as he mishandled his hose (clean thoughts folks). The funniest thing was, he spoke little or no English, As he tried to apologise, sounded like the Poloceman In 'Allo 'Allo!.

Disembarkation:

It took some time, but it doesn't bother me. I can sit in the car and plan routes check emails, whatsapps etc. But some people did get a but agitated.

Customs/Border Control:

When we left the ship, we stopped at passports and were asked if we had residency. All checked at off we drove. We were pulled in again customs/aduana, checked and sent away again. Only to be stopped briefly as we left the port exit. No real drama and we had nothing that we should no have. There were some trailers and vans being pulled over. I think they had brand new building materials on. Some discussions were taking place with the Guardia

I have 6 future Sailings booked on Galicia, I changed to of them last night and looking to change all the others.

We are not snobs, just paying customers who work very hard and expect what we pay for. I have contacted Brittany Ferries and I am still awaiting an explanation regarding several charges, lack of credit notes and refunds. If and when we get back to normal, we may be booking less Spanish routes in future.

I will pop some Photos on......

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Okay, so as I mentioned, I said I was going to leave a review of our recent sailing on Brittany Ferries new Flagship, Galicia. Its not good, from my point of view. So if any aficionados of Brittany Ferries that may be offended, please do not read on.

As big fans of Brittany Ferries, especially of its Spanish routes, we were looking forward to the new vessel arriving from China (Stena Ro-Ro). We like Cap Finistere and Pont Aven So, we have been waiting wit excitement to travel on Galicia.

We arrived far too early for the Ferry in our car, so turned away and had a packed lunch by the sea. We returned for check-in at 6pm, more than four hours before departure. The check in was slow, very. When we eventually arrived at the desk, the man we dealt with was rude and abrupt. I explained that I had not input our vehicle registration because the data they hold puts it over 1.83m, its not its 1.7. So after some grumbling he decided not to measure the height or apply a charge. When I questioned the £245 cancelation charge on my ticket, the reply was, "Nowt to do with me that, nothing I could do about it". Okay, so if that's the case, be more polite. They do have the facility to take payments for under declared vehicle dimensions though!.

Anyway, loading of the boat was quite efficient and quick I thought, despite being one of the last groups of vehicles to be a loaded.

On trying to locate our cabin, there was no direct lift from car deck 5 Green. The lift did go to 9, but only to the Crew quarters. So, lift to floor seven, try to find stairs to deck 9. Cabin was easy to find though.

First impressions of the cabin were good. But as time went on, it was a big disappointment.

We had treated ourselves to a commodore Suite. Double bed, brewing up facilities, mini bar, direct access to the ships deck.

Problems:

*BF Quote "Large Flatscreen TV" Its not large. But I guess Larger than those in other cabins. You need binoculars to read anything on screen from the bed. It is also poorly located.
*The Minibar was a cheap Chinese fridge with the control actually written in Chinese. The sort of thing you buy from Argos (it was cold though !)

First time we opened the door, a couple of people were sat up against it, they were very apologetic as were we. But then they put their chairs back when we closed the door.

When we managed to get to sit outside and be able to get a couple of chairs. Several people tried to walk inside. One couple were inching past me when I said "Sorry, that's our room". I think the man thought I had said "Have you got enough room?". The lady actually walked into our cabin and then was mortified as she had also misheard me. I just laughed it off and she was so apologetic. It was quite entertaining for the rest of the people on deck. There was piece of rope next to the door, so we had to wedge the door open with the bin and then put the rope across. You know what happened next!.

Dining & Bars:

Now onto food, mediocre at best. The cabin came with Commodore club access (£35 pp if they have availability with other cabins). We had tom queue for 20 mins the first time for some Tapas and a glass of wine. The second day we used it, another 20 min queue. I was given half a glass of wine, the bottle had run out. I thought no bother, I will go back later and get a refill. My wife queued again for 10 mins. Only to be told, they don't serve wine after 2pm. I guess a lot of people who have access, will sit and get there monies Worth. In truth, if we were paying, what we ate and drank on the two short visits would have cost us around £25-£30 on similar BF crossings. So for us, not worth the £35pp.

Evening dinner:

We are allocated a time slot of 6:15 for our sitting in the Al a Carte restaurant at the Bow of the Ship. The queue was 35 mins to getting to the counter. Your request food from the servers and take your tray to any free table. The food looked nice, it was shockingly poor. Luke warm a best. I guess we could of gone back to the end of the queue and selected other meals. But we rally could not be bothered. I ate a small bowl of Langoustines and my wife poked around looking for squid under some much of potato. The fries were like cardboard. We paid for a bottle of Chablis, £22, I've had better €1,50 wines from Spanish Supermarkets. We left, bitterly disappointed.

The Commodore Suites come with Continental breakfast served in the room. No order was taken for Friday morning, so we had to go to reception to request it. Saturday was the same lack of order. On both occasions, they did not even provide milk or sugar for the tea.

The main bar was closed.

Shopping:

I Noticed how much cheaper the shop is, now it is Duty Free. 200 Cigarettes which is the suggested limit is around £32, wines are cheaper, but you have reasonable limits on those kind of Purchases. We spent a lot of money in the shop as there were some good buys. One of My wife's preferred perfumes, normally £60 UK price, £50 reduced to £35. Some good wines from £4 upwards. they were also selling individual cans of beers, Maybe because the main bar was closed.

The Ship Itself:

I am not an Engineer, more a Technician who can Engineer things. Call me a jack of all trades, master of none I guess. That said, I think I could make a better job than some of the work I saw. Ill bet with some practice, My grandchildren all aged under 12 could weld better seams.

The ships tannoy system was inaudible On our deck, in our cabin and shower. Just let's hope there is not any emergency, if so the signal works better. looking around at details like, Pieces of make do wire, make do rope, over sized cable grommets packed out with silicone, worse still, on the car deck, insulation tape. missing screws from balustrades that dip and twist. Ill fitting flip mats, distorted door seals. Galicia has been in service for just over 6 months. I wonder how the build quality will stand up to the high volume of passengers. When I look around the Old Pride of Brugge, Stenas Holandica / Britanica, then Pont Aven and Cap Finsitere. You can see the difference in build quality.

The Crew:

All French that we met and spoke with. We could not fault them. Polite, courteous, even humorous. All smartly dressed as always and all happy to help, chat and even crack some jokes. One of the Maintenance Engineers accidentally (so he claimed) gave some passengers a slight shower as he mishandled his hose (clean thoughts folks). The funniest thing was, he spoke little or no English, As he tried to apologise, sounded like the Poloceman In 'Allo 'Allo!.

Disembarkation:

It took some time, but it doesn't bother me. I can sit in the car and plan routes check emails, whatsapps etc. But some people did get a but agitated.

Customs/Border Control:

When we left the ship, we stopped at passports and were asked if we had residency. All checked at off we drove. We were pulled in again customs/aduana, checked and sent away again. Only to be stopped briefly as we left the port exit. No real drama and we had nothing that we should no have. There were some trailers and vans being pulled over. I think they had brand new building materials on. Some discussions were taking place with the Guardia

I have 6 future Sailings booked on Galicia, I changed to of them last night and looking to change all the others.

We are not snobs, just paying customers who work very hard and expect what we pay for. I have contacted Brittany Ferries and I am still awaiting an explanation regarding several charges, lack of credit notes and refunds. If and when we get back to normal, we may be booking less Spanish routes in future.

Photos are on the original post

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
If they are free, then they are no good i'm afraid
copied from eurotunnel website,

A negative COVID test (B)

Customers aged 11 and older travelling on our passenger service require a negative result from a non-NHS PCR or a non-NHS Antigen (lateral flow) test taken in the previous 48 hours. At French border controls you will need to present digital or paper evidence of the negative result provided by the test provider.
But is this a UK rule or a French one . I can see why the UK would say this £££ but why would the French be bothered ?

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
But is this a UK rule or a French one . I can see why the UK would say this £££ but why would the French be bothered ?
I believe it is the method of recording the test, the french are bothered because the home test is not worth the paper it's written on, ie, it can be manipulated.
Paid for tests cannot (in theory).

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
I believe it is the method of recording the test, the french are bothered because the home test is not worth the paper it's written on, ie, it can be manipulated.
Paid for tests cannot (in theory).
I can see their point tbh , easy to flog a test yourself result. thanks 👍

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Problems:

Dining & Bars:

Evening dinner:

The main bar was closed.

Shopping:

The Ship Itself:

The Crew:

Disembarkation:

Customs/Border Control:

I too was disappointed with the ship.Lifeboats spoil the view out of the lounge Windows for a start.As you say Tannoy system and internet terrible.Breakfast decent evening meal poor.
Much prefer Pont Avon

Problems:

Dining & Bars:

Evening dinner:

The main bar was closed.

Shopping:

The Ship Itself:

The Crew:

Disembarkation:

Customs/Border Control:

You do what you want to do I’m off abroad 👍
I am there now and managed ten weeks last year. BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Either the NHS are supplying lower accuracy tests OR the government not wanting to subsidise travel OR they want to make it harder for people to access tests. Hmm.
If you read my post on the medical staff that were denied boarding despite being tested daily they were told that the test,of whatever type,is not valid "unless it has been paid for" = all about money.
And while we are on the subject, i think that the fees some people charge is daylight robbery, profiteering nothing more.
I have been adding up the cost of 2 tests for us to get in to France, 2 more to enter the Uk on the assumption I won't be able to get there inside the 72hours even having tests done at spanish border, as I will have to stop somewhere to get the dogs passport sorted, another cost as usually I do it here & can get to Dunkirk no problems. Then we have day 2 & day 8 tests to pay for x2 Then another 2 x tests to leave the Uk . = 602€ All are additional costs in excess of the usual boat & diesel.
So it appears far cheaper to stay here & have the wifes CAT scan done here for a bargain 300€

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
602€ All are additional costs in excess of the usual boat & diesel.
How much are the day 2 and day 8 and the leave UK tests in total for 2 people and no dog ?

As if I were leaving Uk to France and returning on Amber ?

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS
How much are the day 2 and day 8 and the leave UK tests in total for 2 people and no dog ?

As if I were leaving Uk to France and returning on Amber ?
I have just paid £298 for the day 2 and 8 tests, £119.90 for an antigen test to enter France, we will obviously need a test to return to the uk, costs unknown at the mo.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I have just paid £298 for the day 2 and 8 tests, £119.90 for an antigen test to enter France, we will obviously need a test to return to the uk, costs unknown at the mo.
Can I assume that is for a party of 18 2 going over ?

So roughly £500 quid tax for 2 for a trip to France ?

OP
OP
MITHRANDIR
Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS

Yes that's correct.

Sorry i forgot to add that i feel somewhat violated by this additional cost. ;)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
best I could find was £98 the 2 x 2 people = £196
Leaving UK I used someone else's Boots price at £ 58 each = £116 , so £312 + you need the lick & spit , lateral flows each to get France to UK so another 30€ each unless you find ones doing them free.** I hadn't added the French dog pet passport cost**
similar to my 602€

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
best I could find was £98 the 2 x 2 people = £196
Leaving UK I used someone else's Boots price at £ 58 each = £116 , so £312 + you need the lick & spit , lateral flows each to get France to UK so another 30€ each unless you find ones doing them free.** I hadn't added the French dog pet passport cost**

similar to my 602€
Makes me even more grateful to live this side of the channel with no plans to cross it in the other direction lol

Captain Lloyd

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 18, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094df
Exp
5 years
Never mind whether your insured in France the problem might be getting there, have you read the 4th June Brittany ferries update.
Two crossings have been cancelled until the 27th June and the Caen and Roscoff crossings will not be taking passengers until 20th June.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

Would have been cheaper getting Brittany Ferry to Santander and driving back into France .BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back