FRANCE ON THE CARDS (1 Viewer)

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012
We are now in France having managed to get away on Sunday, so I can add our experience for the benefit of others.
We went with DFDS from Newhaven, (£123 one way with their over-60's discount). I booked it Thursday as soon as Boris announced the new rules.
Ordered the Antigen Tests from C19 as above. Very fast and arrived the next day. This is a simple Lateral flow test like the free ones from the NHS, but of course you need a 3rd party to verify so have to pay £29 a pop. Bear in mind you have just 48 hours from test time to travel time. We didn't know how long it would take to get the result so did it 47 hours before our sailing time. In fact the certificate was back by email within an hour so we could have left it longer to allow a better window. Live and learn.
A side note. We decided to leave the return test for now, after all it could change before we return, but now I'm thinking maybe it was worth buying 2 more for later? I didn't realise that a lateral flow test like this was acceptable for the return trip nor that we could get an approved certificate so quickly via email.
Careful studying of the rules confirmed that as well as the negative test we need proof of our vaccinations and to download and complete an honesty declaration that we haven't been in contract with any covid cases. Although all available on the phone I decided to print them out so the border folk had an easier time. It really was easier than fiddling around with little screens at 10.30 PM with a queue behind....
The ferry was scheduled for 17.30. On arrival the check-in was done inside their office rather than at the entry posts. The lady had to pop out and tell us (both) to come inside. She was very relaxed and friendly and as well as passports wanted to see the negative test certificate. She commented on it having just an hour before expiry otherwise was happy.
Once the gate opened a single guy had a brief conversation with each vehicle. It was very brief, He only asked if our gas was turned off and poked his head inside the hab door without going in. There were no other officials around and certainly no one from the French side.
It wasn't long before were boarded.
When I say we, I mean literally 5 cars, 4 trucks, 3 vans, 2 foot passengers and one motorhome (us). Only the partridge in a pear tree was missing.
The sea was smoother than a millpond. Euro final was on the screens and Italy got their equaliser as it docked.
We were soon awaiting checks at the border control kiosks. As mentioned previously, the ones fiddling with screens took the longest. When our turn came (we were last but that was hardly a big deal) I handed over the passports and printouts and few minutes later we were driving into Dieppe for the night. Simples.
So apart from needing to show the aforementioned covid documents it was a lot easier than prior to Brexit proper, we still had a fridge full of dairy and meat too.
Obviously not everyones experience will mirror that, presumably the sunday evening crossing is especially quiet? But we found it much easier than expected so hope this helps others?

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
We’re booked on next Tuesday’s ferry to Santander then travelling over the border to just south of Biarritz. Given we’ll be travelling from a Green list country into France I don’t know whether to get the antigen test or not. I’ll obviously have proof of double vaccinations and will take a completed Health control form for Spain and a Sworn statement for France, but what are your thoughts on an antigen test being worthwhile as a backstop or a waste of money? I’m aware some funstere have reported that no checks made at the Spanish/ French border. Planning on taking 2 for the return trip but may not need those either.

Jun 2, 2017
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleff Trend
Exp
5 yrs +
We are now in France having managed to get away on Sunday, so I can add our experience for the benefit of others.
We went with DFDS from Newhaven, (£123 one way with their over-60's discount). I booked it Thursday as soon as Boris announced the new rules.
Ordered the Antigen Tests from C19 as above. Very fast and arrived the next day. This is a simple Lateral flow test like the free ones from the NHS, but of course you need a 3rd party to verify so have to pay £29 a pop. Bear in mind you have just 48 hours from test time to travel time. We didn't know how long it would take to get the result so did it 47 hours before our sailing time. In fact the certificate was back by email within an hour so we could have left it longer to allow a better window. Live and learn.
A side note. We decided to leave the return test for now, after all it could change before we return, but now I'm thinking maybe it was worth buying 2 more for later? I didn't realise that a lateral flow test like this was acceptable for the return trip nor that we could get an approved certificate so quickly via email.
Careful studying of the rules confirmed that as well as the negative test we need proof of our vaccinations and to download and complete an honesty declaration that we haven't been in contract with any covid cases. Although all available on the phone I decided to print them out so the border folk had an easier time. It really was easier than fiddling around with little screens at 10.30 PM with a queue behind....
The ferry was scheduled for 17.30. On arrival the check-in was done inside their office rather than at the entry posts. The lady had to pop out and tell us (both) to come inside. She was very relaxed and friendly and as well as passports wanted to see the negative test certificate. She commented on it having just an hour before expiry otherwise was happy.
Once the gate opened a single guy had a brief conversation with each vehicle. It was very brief, He only asked if our gas was turned off and poked his head inside the hab door without going in. There were no other officials around and certainly no one from the French side.
It wasn't long before were boarded.
When I say we, I mean literally 5 cars, 4 trucks, 3 vans, 2 foot passengers and one motorhome (us). Only the partridge in a pear tree was missing.
The sea was smoother than a millpond. Euro final was on the screens and Italy got their equaliser as it docked.
We were soon awaiting checks at the border control kiosks. As mentioned previously, the ones fiddling with screens took the longest. When our turn came (we were last but that was hardly a big deal) I handed over the passports and printouts and few minutes later we were driving into Dieppe for the night. Simples.
So apart from needing to show the aforementioned covid documents it was a lot easier than prior to Brexit proper, we still had a fridge full of dairy and meat too.
Obviously not everyones experience will mirror that, presumably the sunday evening crossing is especially quiet? But we found it much easier than expected so hope this helps others?
Thanks for the info. Just planning our trip and a little confused by your post where you state you had an email back within an hour of taking the test.

Excuse my ignorance but how does this work? Which test did you buy from C19 as I can only see ones where you purchase the test and have a Royal Mail 24 hr delivery service to get the test to them?

TIA

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
C19 do the antigen test where you just need to send a picture of their completed test with your photo. They list all the tests they do on their home page

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Jul 22, 2017
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
This should show you all the centres in Seine-Maritime

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Is there a place at La Mailleraye to get the covid test done?
Yes Rita, that's what Bob was saying. Brotonne pharmacy three doors up from vets. I booked for Friday morning on the Wednesday lunchtime. A French friend had already spoken to them for me and they said they do do walk-ins but an appointment is best. €25.01 each for the antigen.
Vets is now €15.50
Vets said could issue a pet passport. €7.30 but that the rabies booster is €42 something. That they didn't need an address.
BUT, in Montreuil I also asked (while dropping a stray dog at the vets) and they said 'Sorry new rules, new instructions' The dog you want to passport, and really it's more the owner, has to have been at an address in France for 3 months or they are not allowed to issue one 😬, it seems France has been inundated with new dog registrations from UK residents and they don't like it. Janie

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We’re booked on next Tuesday’s ferry to Santander then travelling over the border to just south of Biarritz. Given we’ll be travelling from a Green list country into France
What is green? Spain is red as classed by France, Germany, Loads of others.
it seems France has been inundated with new dog registrations from UK residents and they don't like it. Janie
come here .we'll accept anyone.:giggle:

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
What is green? Spain is red as classed by France, Germany, Loads of others.

come here .we'll accept anyone.:giggle:
diplomatie.gouv.fr says European countries are considered green by France. That's where I got it from, having been sent there by gouvernement.fr
Where did you get your information from?

Nov 8, 2019
Surrey
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2017
Taken away the risk. Just cancelled Santander and booked the ferry to Caen. So if anyone looking for a nice cabin to Santander next Tuesday there's one available.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
WE DONE IT 😂🤡
We are in France 🇫🇷
After SWMBO getting call for annual health check and blood test early July we could organise once she got the all clear. PCR test booked Monday 12th. Ferry booked Dover 14th. Results 5:20 on 13th showing Negative ✔️
Printed off at friend’s in Dover.
Dover docks, a car in front, back and forth with ‘phone and eventually moves.
I hand over Passport having printed off Vaccine record, PCR test and declaration and tucked in each of our passports.
He briefly looked at each. Stamped Passport ! smiled and waved us on. Took around 1 minute. Simple for him.
Then pulled into security shed, was asked if we had pets, no, she swabbed the buttons on the lockers and did a quick test and wished us a good trip.
No food court on ferry but to use lorry driver’s restaurant. All meals £5.99 🤡
As we are due to leave docks private vehicles being stopped and questioned. There is a lane for declarations but no one using it. We got to front of queue, he looked at number plate and Angle Mort stickers. He smiled and waved us through.
My Marmite sausages were safe ✔️
All very easy and simple. Just ensure you have done the necessary.
Now at Montreuil. Very full, we are in corner of car park. Shops including some supermarkets closed as Bastille Day holiday.
It can be done so do it !!!!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
WE DONE IT 😂🤡
We are in France 🇫🇷
After SWMBO getting call for annual health check and blood test early July we could organise once she got the all clear. PCR test booked Monday 12th. Ferry booked Dover 14th. Results 5:20 on 13th showing Negative ✔️
Printed off at friend’s in Dover.
Dover docks, a car in front, back and forth with ‘phone and eventually moves.
I hand over Passport having printed off Vaccine record, PCR test and declaration and tucked in each of our passports.
He briefly looked at each. Stamped Passport ! smiled and waved us on. Took around 1 minute. Simple for him.
Then pulled into security shed, was asked if we had pets, no, she swabbed the buttons on the lockers and did a quick test and wished us a good trip.
No food court on ferry but to use lorry driver’s restaurant. All meals £5.99 🤡
As we are due to leave docks private vehicles being stopped and questioned. There is a lane for declarations but no one using it. We got to front of queue, he looked at number plate and Angle Mort stickers. He smiled and waved us through.
My Marmite sausages were safe ✔️
All very easy and simple. Just ensure you have done the necessary.
Now at Montreuil. Very full, we are in corner of car park. Shops including some supermarkets closed as Bastille Day holiday.
It can be done so do it !!!!
Brilliant, enjoy. We hopefully aren’t far behind. Off on Monday.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
We've been on the aire in Capbreton for the past 3 nights, must have seen 300+ mhs, only seen two with angles mortes stickers. Both french, 1 probably under 3500kgs, the other a twin wheel Lvx.
Don't think I have seen 50 Motorhomes on the road in six weeks.Buisiest Aire or site I have been on in France is tonight,about ten vans.BUSBY.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I have seen 1 English van, 1 Welsh Van and 1 Southern Ireland since Wednesday. Probably fewer than usual now quarantine is required.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
Yes Rita, that's what Bob was saying. Brotonne pharmacy three doors up from vets. I booked for Friday morning on the Wednesday lunchtime. A French friend had already spoken to them for me and they said they do do walk-ins but an appointment is best. €25.01 each for the antigen.
Vets is now €15.50
Vets said could issue a pet passport. €7.30 but that the rabies booster is €42 something. That they didn't need an address.
BUT, in Montreuil I also asked (while dropping a stray dog at the vets) and they said 'Sorry new rules, new instructions' The dog you want to passport, and really it's more the owner, has to have been at an address in France for 3 months or they are not allowed to issue one 😬, it seems France has been inundated with new dog registrations from UK residents and they don't like it. Janie
Thank you.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Don't think I have seen 50 Motorhomes on the road in six weeks.Buisiest Aire or site I have been on in France is tonight,about ten vans.BUSBY.
That all changed on Fri in Josselin.Aire rammed with French vans.Market tomorrow.Lovely town.BUSBY.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Full at this aire. Don’t know why, funny town, without much going on. Maybe the other 3 vans are thinking the same.

TheDentons

Free Member
Aug 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki
Exp
I'm a newbie bought our first motorhome 7months ago and love it
We crossed last Sunday 17th no problems only seen one British van on the road here until end of August so will have to wait and see what happens for our return

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back