For Full-timers restricted by the Schengen 90/180 rule. (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Not sure when that was written but freedom of movement was agreed in the Withdrawal Agreement and the only outstanding thing is trade agreement
So exactly what IS the agreed arrangement then? 🤪

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have driven through a good few boarders and mostly there is no one there to look at the passport, and even if they did know, would they care? or would they think, here is someone bringing much needed cash to my country?
There are no borders between Schengin countries,,BUSBY.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
The Withdrawal Agreement re visiting Europe . Signed and agreed by U.K. and the EU nations.
There's a lot of "You May" in that article?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
There's a lot of "You May" in that article?

If you would like to read the complete transcript it is above .
I do not see a ‘ may’ regarding the 90/180 rule but if you read it differently then I have no problem with that .

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Yes because the whole purpose of B was to stop freedom of movement and it works both ways ! There is all the information you need re overstay in The Schengen zone on the internet . It isn’t anything new . It exists for all other countries outwith like USA , Australia etc so U.K. us just added to the list .
This subject has been done to death previously so maybe check back to previous threads
I didn’t think we were ever in the shengen area so surely this 90 day rule was always the case.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I didn’t think we were ever in the shengen area so surely this 90 day rule was always the case.
Indeed but never implemented as we were a member of the EU but after year end we become TCN ‘s ie Third Country Nationals with different terms . Me too until my French nationality comes through .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The Withdrawal Agreement re visiting Europe . Signed and agreed by U.K. and the EU nations.
I've read that previously but there are so many 'get out of jail' comments in it that to imply it is agreed is IMV not totally correct. Once it says 'must' instead of 'may' then that will definitely be the final agreement, until then it's still not totally settled from my reading of it.

Feb 19, 2017
Leighton Buzzard
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Ten years
Because it doesn’t matter which countries you visit in the zone until you leave . And your arrival will be logged in whatever country you enter and logged again when you leave on the computer if the zone not the country . If you leave the zone eg to visit Morocco it will be logged you have left the zone as there is border control with any countries outwith the zone .

I think I’ve found a work around, twice we have visited BIH via the corridor, despite lots of offices we have never seen anyone let alone get a passport checked. I’m going to claim I spent 90 days there.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It all depends on what type of "residency " each EU state will be conferring on there permanent foreign residents.

""The Withdrawal Agreement offers two possibilities for dealing with the documentation process: (1) Establish a procedure by which the above residents and their family members must apply for a new residence permit in the host nation (Article 18.1); (2) Not initiate this procedure and issue a residence document that expressly identifies citizens as beneficiaries of the Agreement (Article 18.4). ""

Spain has opted for the second one so as I have already done I have changed my certificate for a plastic ID card. This has the benefits of containing all biometric info + fingerprints & allows me to travel cross border using the card only
The spanish version from here in English;

https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en/brexit/howtoprepare/Paginas/190108residence.aspx

My understanding that as a permanent resident I can travel in any other EU state exactly the same as a spanish national remaining for up to 90 consecutive days then pop next door.
When I tour it is as a permanent Spanish resident & using the new TIE card which gives no indication that I am not a spaniard. Nor now will I bother with the passport anywhere in the EU as the card is sufficient.

here from spanish Agreement;
"as it is a physical card that includes biometric elements that will allow many administrative procedures to be carried out, including crossing foreign borders within the European Union. "

//Lesson now but later I will see what the spanish government site states &

I am classed as a 'beneficiary of the withdrawal agreement' & therefore the following applies to me as taken from the spanish Q&A page of the EU withdrawal agreement

**If I am a beneficiary of the Withdrawal Agreement, I am in possession of a residence document issued on the basis of that agreement and want to move to reside in another EU country, can I do so?
The Withdrawal Agreement recognises the right to reside in the host country, however future mobility will be subject to negotiations within the framework of the future relationship between the UK and the EU. Should there be a lack of agreement in this matter:For short stays: the rules for short stays within the Schengen area apply For stays longer than 3 months, the national legislation of each EEA shall apply.**

As you can see the last paragraph states that the rules remain the same for under 3 month stays in each EU state for those who are entitled.
above from here the spanish Q&A page;

https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en/brexit/Documents/GUIDE BREXIT eng.pdf

The problem is if you wish to permanently move to another state then the withdrawal agreement has no rights & you have to comply as a 3rd country national.
Some of it is vague & can be interpreted in different ways?

How any country would know what length of time a card carrying permanent resident of another state had been in theirs ,especially travelling in a vehicle registered in the resident state ,i've no idea? Not as if they can check a passport ?

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
No passport controls entering or leaving Switzerland recently so how do they know who’s been where.
Unless each country actually implements border controls again how can they enforce it,
Unless it’s policed at the U.K. border, at the moment no one seems bothered unless your flying anywhere.

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
No passport controls entering or leaving Switzerland recently so how do they know who’s been where.
Unless each country actually implements border controls again how can they enforce it,
Unless it’s policed at the U.K. border, at the moment no one seems bothered unless your flying anywhere.

Aren’t are passports checked as enter france from the Uk now.After we leave the ferry (ell maybe as we enter the ferry)

from next year the french will stamp our passports and add a tourists visa.

all held electronically.

then check us as we leave the EU and give us an exit date., so we can work out how many days of our 90 we have used in the 180 days.

no doubt our controlled borders will do the same for EU nationals entering the UK.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes when you leave passport will be stamped. If stopped anywhere in the EU & in excess of 90 days then probably fined /banned from returning. If not stopped & returning to the UK in excess of 90 days the same would apply.

Reactions: DBK
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Aren’t are passports checked as enter france from the Uk now.After we leave the ferry (ell maybe as we enter the ferry)

from next year the french will stamp our passports and add a tourists visa.

all held electronically.

then check us as we leave the EU and give us an exit date., so we can work out how many days of our 90 we have used in the 180 days.

no doubt our controlled borders will do the same for EU nationals entering the UK.
Qué¿

AXO66

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Chasson 510
Exp
Qué¿

just picking your point about who bothers now.

always thought when using the ferry into The EU via france our passports are checked .

so next year they can and will tighten up..........c’est la vie.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
You also only have 2 months to import your motorhome after that you have to pay import tax on the value of the
Hi.
We imported our mo/ho when we bought over here and took up residency... However, you are only allowed ONE imported vehicle at this special rate,this one now in progress, is going to cost around 5.000 euro. You and matamoros are right about the licencing,waiting now for the paperwork to arrive.
Cannot come back to the UK. Covid 19, and........ They have burnt my BED !!
Tea Bag

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
I understood that in Portugal if you bought a property and a car through a company rather than personally there were considerable tax advantages?

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Amazing how some folk still do not fully understand what Brexit and Freedom of Movement means, trying to find a way around something that is done and dusted, signed off, agreed on, is in my opinion going to land some folk in very hot water.........I am very pleased I have jumartoo and gus-lopez at my disposal.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Because your passport will be logged into the system when you enter the zone , whichever country . Then logged again when you leave whatever country So flagging up your time in the zone . Not any particular country
You can always use two passports one to enter one to leave

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Sorry good idea but doesn’t work . Daughter has both Australian and British passport and must use same passport entering and leaving whichever one you choose . Or computer says no ! As has no record of you entering . So illegal entry .

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Sorry good idea but doesn’t work . Daughter has both Australian and British passport and must use same passport entering and leaving whichever one you choose . Or computer says no ! As has no record of you entering . So illegal entry .
Ah ok have traveled with a friend who used his British passport on check out his US one On return it’s a strange world.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I don’t think people realise that it’s not just boarders where people can be traced, credit and debit cards, ANPR, social media, and good old Data SIM cards can show where you have been. I’m sure there are other methods but that’s just a few. Never in before in history can a government find out so much about an individual citizen and their movements.

Brockley

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Chausson 630 + mods!
Exp
Since 2006
Just tell them on departure that you‘re Syrian, you’ve lost your passport and want to return home because the 4 star hotel wasn’t up to much. Coming back you shouldn’t need to tell them anything - sorted 😉

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Have you ever watched the 'Border Control' TV programmes?

No way would this get past the 'officials' and you'd probably be investigated much more thoroughly than normal thus taking more time and you'd be stuck answering loads of questions, then, if they find you've done it for 'naughty' reasons, such as being an overstayer you can expect a fine and a ban for a number of years ... is it worth it?

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
However, there is case law to suggest that it is different if after 5 years one obtains a Permanent Resident's Permit

News to me ?
My understanding that as a permanent resident I can travel in any other EU state exactly the same as a spanish national remaining for up to 90 consecutive days then pop next door.
When I tour it is as a permanent Spanish resident & using the new TIE card which gives no indication that I am not a spaniard. Nor now will I bother with the passport anywhere in the EU as the card is sufficient

I believe once ‘permanent’ residency is obtained, it is anticipated that you will indeed be exempt from the 90/180 as per citizens. However this is still under negotiation according to the U.K. embassy in Lisbon.

The confusion may arise for expats differing between types of residency! ( yes, there are two types, but they are the same, but may affect the future😆)

Here in Portugal, there’s temporary and permanent, however, that actually only actually applies to the physical certificate, the initial one is valid for 5 years and is referred to as temporary, and as long as you satisfy the immigration rules during those 5 years (ie. don’t leave, or abuse the system by ‘living’ in the uk and spending more than 3 months at your holiday home 😉) then you have to apply for your ‘permanent‘ status, and a new certificate. However, once you have ’residency’, you have it! But again, it is said you would need the ‘permanent’ status to benefit from not being subject to the 90/180. In other words, not until after your first five years.
........clear as mud😳😎

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I believe once ‘permanent’ residency is obtained, it is anticipated that you will indeed be exempt from the 90/180 as per citizens. However this is still under negotiation according to the U.K. embassy in Lisbon.

The confusion may arise for expats differing between types of residency! ( yes, there are two types, but they are the same, but may affect the future😆)

Here in Portugal, there’s temporary and permanent, however, that actually only actually applies to the physical certificate, the initial one is valid for 5 years and is referred to as temporary, and as long as you satisfy the immigration rules during those 5 years (ie. don’t leave, or abuse the system by ‘living’ in the uk and spending more than 3 months at your holiday home 😉) then you have to apply for your ‘permanent‘ status, and a new certificate. However, once you have ’residency’, you have it! But again, it is said you would need the ‘permanent’ status to benefit from not being subject to the 90/180. In other words, not until after your first five years.
........clear as mud😳😎
Actually that mud was very clear to me at least. :giggle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back