For Full-timers restricted by the Schengen 90/180 rule. (1 Viewer)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
This thread is prompted by a letter that Jim posted in this month's Fun Magazine.

It was by a long-term Fullime MHomer who was bewailing the fact that some of his favourite wild spots in UK are being filled up and he is unable to park.

He has previously spent a lot of time touring the Continent but now anticipates that he will have to restrict this to the 90 days in 180 days permitted by Schengen rules.

A Solution

For him and others in the same situation there is a possible solution.

That is to become 'Resident' in an EU country. This gives one the right of free movement, only subject to the limit of 90 days in any one country, as for any EU resident.

To achieve this will depend on the rules in various countries and some detailed research will be necessary.

It does assume that one does not have any permanent ties to UK such as a house available for one's own occupation etc. Rented out does not matter.

Some countries make it fairly difficult e.g. France, but others, as in my case, are quite relaxed as long as one can give an address. This could be achieved via friends or relations, or if necessary rent a pied a terre.

Some countries ask if you are resident in another country. UK does not have a residency registration system for UK Citizens and a full-timer is not resident, so the answer would be no.

There may be local taxes to pay, e.g. if your friends/relatives have to pay per head of occupants or you rent.

There is your own tax situation to consider; some countries will try to tax 'Residents' on world income, but others only on income arising in that country. In other cases if one's income is taxed in a country which has a double-taxation agreement with your host country there may be no tax to pay, or the marginal difference. UK has agreements with most EU countries.

As it happens I do not intend to go full-time but if I did it is easy enough for me to satisfy the requirements for residency here.

I am sure there will be many commenttors on why this is not possible, but if so I hoe they can back up their reasons.

Geoff

Deleted User
I to
This thread is prompted by a letter that Jim posted in this month's Fun Magazine.

It was by a long-term Fullime MHomer who was bewailing the fact that some of his favourite wild spots in UK are being filled up and he is unable to park.

He has previously spent a lot of time touring the Continent but now anticipates that he will have to restrict this to the 90 days in 180 days permitted by Schengen rules.

A Solution

That is to become 'Resident' in an EU country. This gives one the right of free movement, only subject to the limit of 90 days in any one country, as for any EU resident.

To achieve this will depend on the rules in various countries and some detailed research will be necessary.

It does assume that one does not have any permanent ties to UK such as a house available for one's own occupation etc. Rented out does not matter.

Some countries make it fairly difficult e.g. France, but others, as in my case, are quite relaxed as long as one can give an address. This could be achieved via friends or relations, or if necessary rent a pied a terre.

Some countries ask if you are resident in another country. UK does not have a residency registration system for UK Citizens and a full-timer is not resident, so the answer would be no.

There may be local taxes to pay, e.g. if your friends/relatives have to pay per head of occupants or you rent.

There is your own tax situation to consider; some countries will try to tax 'Residents' on world income, but others only on income arising in that country. In other cases if one's income is taxed in a country which has a double-taxation agreement with your host country there may be no tax to pay, or the marginal difference. UK has agreements with most EU countries.

As it happens I do not intend to go full-time but if I did it is easy enough for me to satisfy the requirements for residency here.

I am sure there will be many commenttors on why this is not possible, but if so I hoe they can back up their reasons.

Geoff
I took out Portuguese residency two years ago, we have a 5'er permanently sited, used this as an address, relatively easy, not fully aware of any tax implications but have heard nothing so far.

There are at least four others on our site that have done the same and at least one funster.

The only downside that I know of so far is driving licence requirements. I am supposed to change to a Portuguese licence, which in itself is not too difficult at the moment but it then means that I cannot drive a UK registered vehicle in Portugal.
As the campervan is our largest investment I am reluctant to change but if necessary I will sell and rethink our arrangements, got to be willing to change as circumstances change :Smile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

A Solution

Geoff
How about a second referendum that should do it. ;) :giggle:

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
Obviously not much interest from full-timers in this idea.

I am just posting to bump the thread up, in case some missed it, as posts get relegated to page 20 of New Posts very quickly these days.(I blame Newbies and Happy Birthdays)

Geoff
Ok Geoff I won’t wish you a happy birthday when the time comes 😂

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
We have Greek residency as we want to continue to use our boat there for several months a year. This leaves us able to use our 90/180 in the rest of the EU. Either travelling back and forth to Greece or other holidays elsewhere.s

You are able to use the whole year in the rest of the EU, as long as you do not stay more than 90 days in any one country.

Geoff

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Obviously not much interest from full-timers in this idea.

I am just posting to bump the thread up, in case some missed it, as posts get relegated to page 20 of New Posts very quickly these days.(I blame Newbies and Happy Birthdays)

Geoff
Absolutely too many don’t know a search option exists and all They do is dumb down so many threads.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
One thing to be aware of in Portugal you will loose your grandfather rights if you change your driving licence

You also only have 2 months to import your motorhome after that you have to pay import tax on the value of the motorhome our friends had to pay 6k
They also had to see a accountant to register for tax

Not 100% sure but I also think if you do not change your licence before January you will have to take a test

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
You are able to use the whole year in the rest of the EU, as long as you do not stay more than 90 days in any one country.

Geoff
There’s been a lot of debate about this on a certain fb group.
My understanding, confirmed by many others, and the U.K. embassy in Lisbon, is that the 90/180 applies in the schengen zone, not an individual eu country. The only ‘right’ conferred by eu residency is the right to remain in your country of residence. If you leave to tour, then you do so as a uk citizen ( 3rd country national) and are subject to the 90/180 rule throughout schengen. Not 90 days in each country consecutively. There may also be an ETIAS visa requirement, but this is still upin the air😉

This is as a RESIDENT. It would be different for a CITIZEN.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
As they didn't check in the past, and if you visit more than 1 country are they likely to check in future, it has always been 90/180 and nobody cared , will they now?
Because your passport will be logged into the system when you enter the zone , whichever country . Then logged again when you leave whatever country So flagging up your time in the zone . Not any particular country

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Because your passport will be logged into the system when you enter the zone , whichever country . Then logged again when you leave whatever country So flagging up your time in the zone . Not any particular country
I have driven through a good few boarders and mostly there is no one there to look at the passport, and even if they did know, would they care? or would they think, here is someone bringing much needed cash to my country?

OP
OP
N
Oct 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

Geoff

It appears that I am wrong in my post above.

It is only possible on an EU Residence Permit to stay 90/180 days in the rest of the EU, outside one's country of residence.

Bit of a disappointment to me.

However, there is case law to suggest that it is different if after 5 years one obtains a Permanent Resident's Permit.

The logging in and out hardly applies to somebody living in a Schengen country. Even if one travel outside Schengen when returning one has the right to re-enter to one's host country, with no time limit on stay.

Geoff

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I have driven through a good few boarders and mostly there is no one there to look at the passport, and even if they did know, would they care? or would they think, here is someone bringing much needed cash to my country?
Because it doesn’t matter which countries you visit in the zone until you leave . And your arrival will be logged in whatever country you enter and logged again when you leave on the computer if the zone not the country . If you leave the zone eg to visit Morocco it will be logged you have left the zone as there is border control with any countries outwith the zone .

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
Freedom and security for travellers

The Schengen provisions abolish checks at the Union's internal borders, while tightening controls at the external borders, in accordance with a single set of rules. These rules cover several areas:
  • a common set of rules applying to people crossing the EU external borders, including the types of visa needed and how checks at external borders have to be carried out
  • harmonisation of the conditions of entry and of the rules on visas for short stays (up to three months)
  • enhanced police cooperation (including rights of cross-border surveillance and hot pursuit)
  • stronger judicial cooperation through a faster extradition system and transfer of enforcement of criminal judgments
  • establishment and development of the <Broken link removed> (SIS)

And when ETIAS is introduced in 2022 Schengen border security will be even tighter.

Broken Link Removed

Pete

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ok, so when you go away in your MoHo do you leave your CH on auto and just reduce the thermostat, or are you Yorkshire and leave it switched off ? On the premise that you don’t want to waste heat when your not there.🤔
We turn off the cold water and have the heating set to come on a couple of times a day as we need to keep it on for our insurance terms and also to keep our place 'happy' as older properties don't do well it they are constantly cold ... not to mention my lovely house plants!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
This is from the Spanish Consulate website in London. I’ve circled the part that matters to us so we leave for Spain next month and return 31 March next year exactly 90 days into 2021 and then they have the summer to sort it out.

4244E2D7-2630-43EB-8D96-D15DA07EA744.jpeg

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The only ‘right’ conferred by eu residency is the right to remain in your country of residence. If you leave to tour, then you do so as a uk citizen ( 3rd country national) and are subject to the 90/180 rule throughout schengen.

News to me ?
My understanding that as a permanent resident I can travel in any other EU state exactly the same as a spanish national remaining for up to 90 consecutive days then pop next door.
When I tour it is as a permanent Spanish resident & using the new TIE card which gives no indication that I am not a spaniard. Nor now will I bother with the passport anywhere in the EU as the card is sufficient.

Even if one travel outside Schengen when returning one has the right to re-enter to one's host country, with no time limit on stay.
& returning all I would be showing would be the National identity card , especially from the UK , as knowing them they'd stamp a passport as though you were a traveller.

//Lesson now but later I will see what the spanish government site states & also see about booking using card only

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It appears that I am wrong in my post above.

It is only possible on an EU Residence Permit to stay 90/180 days in the rest of the EU, outside one's country of residence.

Bit of a disappointment to me.

However, there is case law to suggest that it is different if after 5 years one obtains a Permanent Resident's Permit.

The logging in and out hardly applies to somebody living in a Schengen country. Even if one travel outside Schengen when returning one has the right to re-enter to one's host country, with no time limit on stay.

Geoff
Are there customs checks at the Polish border?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
But will they care?
Yes because the whole purpose of B was to stop freedom of movement and it works both ways ! There is all the information you need re overstay in The Schengen zone on the internet . It isn’t anything new . It exists for all other countries outwith like USA , Australia etc so U.K. us just added to the list .
This subject has been done to death previously so maybe check back to previous threads

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
On the borders which are Schengen external borders, yes.

On the borders which are just Schengen internal, no.

Geoff
So someone who was happy to bend the rules could sneak out through the unguarded bit and visit France etc and not be limited to 90 days. Probably best not to reply. :)

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I thought the very last sentence more important.
View attachment 421922
Not sure when that was written but freedom of movement was agreed in the Withdrawal Agreement and the only outstanding thing is trade agreement

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back