European map (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Can anyone recommend a decent map of Europe without spending a fortune. I know AA and Collins do them but just wondered if anyone had found anything better ?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Google maps is the only map we use. Free to buy and constantly updated. Shows you the best route from A-B, with or without tolls and takes trafic conditions into account too.

Also, unlike a paper map it always shows you exactly where you are

It's never let me down

Last edited by a moderator:
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Google maps is the only map we use. Free to buy and constantly updated. Shows you the best route from A-B, with or without tolls and takes trafic conditions into account too.

Also, unlike a paper map it always shows you exactly where you are

It's never let me down

Yep, it's all I ever look at.....(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We like to have a paper map, even though I do use google maps too. We use the A3 size ring bound detailed road map book for day to day planning and a flat fold out one for long distance planning.
I bought mine last year from this site
https://dash4it.co.uk/european-maps.html
Really good range of maps, not only Michelin, and also a good discount if you are a CAMC member and enter this code. CAMC17

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Trying to quote your post @Robert Clark which was quoted above by @Smith and Sharp . I find it mysteriously edited to remove "Unlike a paper map, it always shows you exactly where you are"

I always know exactly where I am on the paper map and where I have come from to get there.

Maybe it comes from all those years of rallying.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Haven't used paper maps for years, we use Autoroute and sometimes Google maps. If we want something for wandering about towns we use maps.me.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I do use Google maps, but I do like a good paper one to look at as well to see the bigger picture. On Google if you zoom out a lot of roads are not always clear

Reactions: DBK
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
AA big atlas Europe are good less than a tenner :)

Large Europe ok for general overview but you really need a map of the country you are visiting to navigate properly,,,BUSBY.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I like a paper map too, I just renewed all of mine, aa large road atlas of france, one of gb, one of Spain and Portugal, all 2018 and all less than ÂŁ5 each off eBay with free postage

I like to be able to find small roads of the beaten track and they are good for general planning.
I also have a atlas of Europe I've had for years but it's a pain to flick through

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
SatNav for navigating, Michelin Maps for plotting my own routes then downloading to my device.. (using Mapsource).

How do you get Google Maps to work off-line?

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Al through We have two sat navs My boss has to have a paper map , she likes to know just where we are.. So have to buy a new map every year.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Gave up paper maps years ago now. We simply use the maps.me phone app on our phones and also on our tablet.
Free. Covers as many countries as you want in tiny detail. Is stored on your device so always available off line. Can be used for route planning and realtime guidance by vehicle or cycle or walking. You can add any number of imported poi lists and choose to show/hide each set.
For us it's utterly brilliant.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Gave up paper maps years ago now. We simply use the maps.me phone app on our phones and also on our tablet.
Free. Covers as many countries as you want in tiny detail. Is stored on your device so always available off line. Can be used for route planning and realtime guidance by vehicle or cycle or walking. You can add any number of imported poi lists and choose to show/hide each set.
For us it's utterly brilliant.

Would not have a clue how to download it or use it,,wish i did,,BUSBY.

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I use a sat nav but like a map so that i can see what is 50 or so miles east or west or north or south of where i am heading,,,,BUSBy.
You do it by varying the scale and ones 7 inch screen the other 5 inch , works for me , the co pilot helps :D

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Not for me.. if I disconnect from the internet, I just get a screen telling me..

"You’re not connected
And the web just isn’t the same without you.
Let’s get you back online
Check that your network cables are plugged in.
Make sure you’re not in flight mode.
See if your wireless switch is turned on.
Restart your router".

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
I use Google maps which is great for traffic info and re-routes and Garmin for speed limits and back up!

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Always worked offline, phone, tablet and laptop
Not for me.. if I disconnect from the internet, I just get a screen telling me..

"You’re not connected
And the web just isn’t the same without you.
Let’s get you back online
Check that your network cables are plugged in.
Make sure you’re not in flight mode.
See if your wireless switch is turned on.
Restart your router".

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015

I just had a play, laptop does indeed need the wifi on to work google maps, but on phone it works offline as does maps.me which I also use. Can`t try the tablet at the moment but I`m sure that`s same as phone

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
It's the same with my phone, Fine if there's a data connection, but otherwise nothing..

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
IMG_0778.JPG
To me this is the holy grail of maps this ones just France but they do Europe ones as well.

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
View attachment 183314 To me this is the holy grail of maps this ones just France but they do Europe ones as well.
Absolutely! this is what I use to plan my routes, it gives the width of the roads too.

My wife thinks I'm odd when we sit and read, she reads her novels, I read my Michelin maps..

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
Absolutely! this is what I use to plan my routes, it gives the width of the roads too.

My wife thinks I'm odd when we sit and read, she reads her novels, I read my Michelin maps..
I am the same as you Les , I could look at maps all day my wife thinks I'm strange I won't let here touch the Michelin map as she destroyed a map once before we where half way down France I let her use a lesser map much to her annoyance lol

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
By coincidence I've just replaced my 2007 A3+ sized European map. Decided to go for an A4(ish) sized map this time as the A3 size was a bit of a pain to store without getting tatty at the edges. Anyway, went for the A4 size Philips 2018 Multiscale Europe Road Atlas Spiral bound. About ÂŁ10 from Amazon retailer. The only thing I don't like is the paper seems quite thin but the printing is nice and bright and should do for what I want. I mostly use a variety of digial maps but for route planning I like a book to flip through (and the co-pilot likes a book to follow our progress).

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I am the same as you Les , I could look at maps all day my wife thinks I'm strange I won't let here touch the Michelin map as she destroyed a map once before we where half way down France I let her use a lesser map much to her annoyance lol
I wouldn't have found half the off the beaten track places in Scotland without spending time just flicking through the map book

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back