Don’t Breakdown in the Outer Hebrides (1 Viewer)

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
So what do you do if you are working and are having a week or 2 break for a holiday, I certainly couldn’t just extend my AL by a few weeks. Terrible service.

We would have to leave the van and get maybe some kindly people to park up next to until it was recovered but who would want to do that?

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
There appear to be at least a couple of garages on the Uists that offer breakdown services. Might be worth doing a Google search to see if they can help? Laings Car Hire in Lochboisdale is one.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
There appear to be at least a couple of garages on the Uists that offer breakdown services. Might be worth doing a Google search to see if they can help? Laings Car Hire in Lochboisdale is one.
Thanks probably my next port of call but Laings came out yesterday but could not load it onto the truck and did not seem to have the capability/tools to troubleshoot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 24, 2019
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
Over 30yrs and still learning
We broke down with our comfortmatic gearbox in France 2 years ago.
Fiat camper assist looked after us, but it's a rotten position to be in.

I would be tempted to tell the AA that you want a local garage to take where you have at least the basics of water and a dump.
I would also mention that many thousands of members on motorhome fun are watching the outcome.
All the best, hope you get sorted sooner rather than later

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Couldn’t you get a farmer to tow you somewhere to stay rather than a lay-by.
Hoping to get a tow later today to a campsite about 3 miles away where we can stay/leave it until it can be picked up.

Jun 22, 2015
lancs
Funster No
MH
carthago 5.8 c line
Exp
since 2006
just check the clutch fluid, its a small plastic bottle under the bonnet, over the gearbox, on bulk head.
if its empty try filling it up......you may be lucky .....its a clutch problem not a gearbox problem.
the fuse you need to check is a green 30amp if its blown you've a problem with your hydraulic pump

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Comfortmatics have been around a long time, I've got to believe that the AA should know how to deal with this stuff. Have they even looked at it properly or just taken a cop out?

BDM

Aug 17, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
No one has actually looked under the bonnet or checked the OBD yet….
The fuse box I referred to is the one under the bonnet. Their are additional fuses to what is shown in my handbook, 2012 Ducato, I have shown this on the attached pic, look for a green 30a fuse in the place marked.
fuse01.jpg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
No one has actually looked under the bonnet or checked the OBD yet….
You re being a lot more patient than I would be, Mind you I would be having a look myself first. If its outside your comfort zone, couldnt you ring a local garage and take it up with the AA afterwards? If it turns out to be a fuse you could embarrass the hell out of them.

The other shower recently left a friend of my wife sitting on a motorway hardshoulder for 5 hours in the middle of the night - a woman travelling on her own.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Thank you I did check that whole row and all seem to be ok.
The fuse box I referred to is the one under the bonnet. Their are additional fuses to what is shown in my handbook, 2012 Ducato, I have shown this on the attached pic, look for a green 30a fuse in the place marked.View attachment 520735

however with the ignition on there is a wining noise from a relay not sure that is normal or not.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I feel a complaint to the AA coming on. (y)

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Whats the betting they blame Covid!
No need to, got it covered here……..

Matters outside the AA’s reasonable control
18. While the AA seeks to meet the service needs of Members at all times, its resources are finite and this may not always be possible. The AA shall not be liable for service failures where the AA is faced with circumstances outside its reasonable control. Events which might constitute circumstances outside the AA’s reasonable control include (but are not limited to) Acts of God, outbreak of hostilities, riot, civil disturbance, acts of terrorism, acts of government or authority (including the refusal or revocation of any licence or consent), fire, subsidence, explosion, flood, snow, fog or other bad weather conditions, vehicle, roads that are not reasonably accessible by the AA, equipment or systems failures, shortages of fuel or other necessary supplies, failure of telecommunications lines or systems, default of suppliers or sub-contractors, theft, malicious damage, strike, lock out or industrial action of any kind.

The catch all clause. 🤷‍♂️

Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
If it's the Comfortmatic box then there are a couple of known problem areas that may be worth a scrat around:
Check for wiring chafing against the wiper motor mechanism behind the nearside headlamp & check that the starter battery is at least 110Ah
I can't see how the capacity of the starter battery would have any effect on the gearbox. When the engine is running power is coming from the alternator.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
No AA Here nearest AA representative is in Mallaig and earliest they can recover us is August 13th.

So I suggest not using AA for any breakdown in the Islands as they have no people.

That’s very poor service it’s not as if you are in Outer Mongolia.

I had similar terrible service from the AA in Galashiels, my husband was left stranded in Kelso (different cars and different faults) and we were also stranded in Ullapool. I fixed mine myself after 3 hours of being told they were only 10 minutes away. A local garage recovered my husband's car..... temporary fix done by a local garage in Ullapool, enough to get us home as the car was still under guarantee.

We are now with another breakdown company that use local garages.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
I had similar terrible service from the AA in Galashiels, my husband was left stranded in Kelso (different cars and different faults) and we were also stranded in Ullapool. I fixed mine myself after 3 hours of being told they were only 10 minutes away. A local garage recovered my husband's car..... temporary fix done by a local garage in Ullapool, enough to get us home as the car was still under guarantee.

We are now with another breakdown company that use local garages.
The AA also use local garages. In our area, the same garage serves AA and Greenflag.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I can't see how the capacity of the starter battery would have any effect on the gearbox. When the engine is running power is coming from the alternator.
This was a fairly common problem with Actroses, they didnt half crash and bang if the battery wasnt 100%. Mind you they sensibly had a switch that you could lock it into 5th to get you home, ( 5th is not particularly high when you should have 12, but you could limp home in it.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
So we are now at a Campsite for a few days to sort out things. AA Managed to get two tow trucks to arrive at the same time and argue over whose job it was but neither wanted to fix the problem which we think is a leaking slave cylinder.

Managed to shame AA via Social Media to take some action and they miraculously have managed to find an earlier slot on a ferry now for August 4th.

Plan to hopefully leave the van here on the campsite and travel as foot passengers to Skye where we have family and then fly back down south whilst the van is recovered to SMC for fixing.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Plan to hopefully leave the van here on the campsite and travel as foot passengers to Skye where we have family and then fly back down south whilst the van is recovered to SMC for fixing.
I would take plenty of photographs of front, back, sides & especially the roof all over, to ensure it doesn't get damaged & you get the " it was like that when we collected it".

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Me neither tbh but there are a few on various forums that have found it works

Aug 18, 2020
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
IMG_5605.JPG

Might not be able to help but I've found these:

IMG_5606.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun