Don’t Breakdown in the Outer Hebrides (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
So looks like our 3 week trip around Scotland and the Outer Hebrides is coming to an end after 10 glorious days of sunshine on Skye and the Islands.

Currently in a lay-by near the Eriskay Ferry as the Fiat automatic gearbox has decided there are no gears available.

AA trying to assist but using a garage on the mainland so the first recovery vehicle could not fit our Laika on it so towed is a few metres off the road to a lay-by but now need something bigger which might have to come from Mallaig but the ferry’s are full for days on end to recover us back to a Fiat dealer somewhere in the UK

lovely view from the layby though but not going anywhere anytime soon.

fridge is full and toilet is empty so could be worse…

Attachments

• 6E451649-01F3-4649-BF79-9C060632E449.jpeg
    6E451649-01F3-4649-BF79-9C060632E449.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 625
Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
So looks like our 3 week trip around Scotland and the Outer Hebrides is coming to an end after 10 glorious days of sunshine on Skye and the Islands.

Currently in a lay-by near the Eriskay Ferry as the Fiat automatic gearbox has decided there are no gears available.

AA trying to assist but using a garage on the mainland so the first recovery vehicle could not fit our Laika on it so towed is a few metres off the road to a lay-by but now need something bigger which might have to come from Mallaig but the ferry’s are full for days on end to recover us back to a Fiat dealer somewhere in the UK

lovely view from the layby though but not going anywhere anytime soon.

fridge is full and toilet is empty so could be worse…
im sure you would have checked but as its basically a manual box with a robotised clutch, is there no manual overide to " get you home"

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We were once stuck in Ullapool after we'd broken down in Stornoway but managed to limp onto the ferry and off again. It's not much better as the breakdown service couldn't find us even with me giving directions. We found out later they were in Poolewe not Ullapool having put the wrong info into their satnav. I had a hospital appointment later that week and ended up going home on bus and train and then taxi.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
im sure you would have checked but as its basically a manual box with a robotised clutch, is there no manual overide to " get you home"
That’s a good shout, happened to me couple of years ago on our Infiniti car (posh Nissan). We got home but switching it to manual and just going through the gears, took a couple of minutes before the engine came out of limp mode, but if you went back in to auto, it would go back to limp mode.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
If it's the Comfortmatic box then there are a couple of known problem areas that may be worth a scrat around:
Check for wiring chafing against the wiper motor mechanism behind the nearside headlamp & check that the starter battery is at least 110Ah

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Hey, look at it as a nice holiday exptension as long as the weathers nice :)

BDM

Aug 17, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008
When I had that kind of problem with my comformatic it was a 30 amp fuse under the bonnet which had blown. Replaced and everything fine for about 500 miles before it went again. Eventual diagnosis was low oil in the robot hydraulics caused by a leakiing something.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
If it's the Comfortmatic box then there are a couple of known problem areas that may be worth a scrat around:
Check for wiring chafing against the wiper motor mechanism behind the nearside headlamp & check that the starter battery is at least 110Ah
Wiring appears ok but battery is only 95ah and was changed by the AA about a month ago though.

Sep 23, 2020
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 744
Exp
I'm a newbie

This - try a new battery or ask the breakdown to connect to you with Jump Leeds and try. If you battery is a bit iffy this can impact.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
Beautiful place to break down. We spent 6 days near Scourie a few years ago waiting for a new tyre after a blowout. Those were the days when my brain didn't want to carry a spare wheel. Never been without one since, no brained.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
its the clutch slave cylinder that has blown......thats why its saying no gears available, get the AA guy to check the clutch fluid reservoir, it'll either be empty or full of gear oil.
thats what it was when mine did the same thing
No AA Here nearest AA representative is in Mallaig and earliest they can recover us is August 13th.

So I suggest not using AA for any breakdown in the Islands as they have no people.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Update: +24 Hours

AA only have one garage for the Highlands & Islands in Mallaig and earliest they can recover us is August 13th or we can leave the van at the side of the side and travel home until it’s recovered.

I cannot see the insurance covering abandonment of the vehicle and suggest it would not be here come the 13th.

The other option is to try to find a local firm to recovery to the Mainland via ferry ourselves but the AA seems to have washed their hands with us due to the Location.

May 3, 2016
Ayrshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki

AA only have one garage for the Highlands & Islands in Mallaig and earliest they can recover us is August 13th or we can leave the van at the side of the side and travel home until it’s recovered.

I cannot see the insurance covering abandonment of the vehicle and suggest it would not be here come the 13th.

The other option is to try to find a local firm to recovery to the Mainland via ferry ourselves but the AA seems to have washed their hands with us due to the Location.
That is poor service.
Hope you get sorted soon.

OP
OP
orridge
May 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Surely the AA could sub the job out to someone else, I imagine you won't be bothered what colour truck brings you home ?
You would think so but at the moment the line is we have one Garage looking after the Highlands and it’s in Mallaig so wait until 13th August or leave the van and we will organise to get you (minus the van) back home.

BDM

Aug 17, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2008

When I had that kind of problem with my comformatic it was a 30 amp fuse under the bonnet which had blown. Replaced and everything fine for about 500 miles before it went again. Eventual diagnosis was low oil in the robot hydraulics caused by a leakiing something.
Have you had a look at the fuse I mentioned?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back