Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Been really lucky in as much as Jazz is just not bothered by fireworks. We've not had any go off too close yet, but some bangs that I know would have worried some dogs, she just ignores. I think all the bangs she heard with the Wild West show at Malvern when she was just 8 weeks have stood her in good stead. Big fireworks display on the site were on tomorrow, hopefully she'll be cool about it,

Jazz is 5 months old this weekend, this was her an hour or so ago. she was tied to the motorhome wing mirror, watching me put my boots on.

jazz23.jpg

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
A very beautiful GSD there.
I was just thinking the other day, I've never had a dog that's scared of fireworks. Cass might bark at the first few but as soon as I speak to her she settles down. Holly wouldn't flinch at anything going off--- but I think she might have been a Cypriot hunting dog in her young days.

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A very beautiful GSD there.
I was just thinking the other day, I've never had a dog that's scared of fireworks. Cass might bark at the first few but as soon as I speak to her she settles down. Holly wouldn't flinch at anything going off--- but I think she might have been a Cypriot hunting dog in her young days.

I saw a large Husky cross at Malvern. A gun was fired and this poor thing was beside itself with fear. It tried to bolt, dragging his lady owner, nothing she could do would calm him. Then the shots rang out again and the lady was off at 30mph being dragged back to her van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bulldog Boxy

Free Member
Sep 28, 2015
stoke
Funster No
MH
caravan was motorhome.
Exp
Saw her at melvern how much she had grown what a beauty she is,our late departed dog storm was never bothered by fireworks either think it's the breed lovely faithful and intelligent dogs.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Our little terrier never used to be bothered by bangs but she absolutely sh1ts herself as she's got older. We have purposely gone away this weekend to try to lessen the impact of fireworks, but its inevitable that we will hear some or at least she will.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
@Jim it's not the fireworks to be worried about but my yorkies ray xx lol still lol the boys what to know we she comes on heat :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Its good to get them used to things when they are young, we had a Lab x Shepherd great dog on and off lead no fence around our garden, Janie used to walk along the main road with the buggy the dog off the lead she would sit outside the shops waiting, one day Janie was half way home and had to go back and get her, she missed her come out the bakers and go in the Co Op :rolleyes: Anyway we think one day they had a shoot and she ran off hearing all the :whistle: and calling and they shot over her head, :( From that day on, she was petrified and one day when home alone she destroyed a lot of our furniture. :eek:
The next dog was not bothered about anything, fireworks she would run up and down the garden barking at them.:LOL:
And as for Izzy you only have to say bang and she shakes, ;) still she is not a proper dog. :p
Lovely looking dog @Jim . (y) Bob.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Our two a cocker and a terrier have lived on Salisbury plain training area all their lives and hear gunfire nearly every day but when it comes to fireworks they are absolutely terrified we think is the intensity of the bangs.

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
In the middle of France and someone here is letting fireworks off! Brits, I assume. Fortunately it doesn't bother our dog.

Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
My dog hates them - they started an hour ago.

Having said that, I've given him Theanine and he's sat on the rug with his bone. He'd usually be hiding in his bed all evening.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Had my two JRT in the shower with me again as the fireworks started at about 6-30 tonight, been on and off for the last week..

Be glad when they just have them at shows/events and stop selling them to the public...

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our Westie, who has spent the last couple of hours shouting back at the few fireworks he can hear, has just tried to crawl onto my lap as I read this thread. Thought maybe he was a little scared, but then I noticed a couple of his favourite treats on my desk................ Oh oh, he's back.......

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Very cute @Jim, always had a soft spot for GSD's.

As for fireworks, our Rosie isn't bothered by them, she's just utterly convinced that someone is knocking on the door! :D

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
She is one gorgeous looking dog... :inlove:

Hope she keeps those markings as she grows up... :nod: :nod: (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Daisy the doodle couldn't give a monkey's whereas Jack the terrorist is leaping at the back door (time after bloody time) trying to get out to see what all the noise is about.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hope the calmness continues for those that have it, like Ken and his terrorist, Lola was fine for her first 8 years, the last 2 years she has been beside herself with fireworks, she is trying to get under my chair as I write :(

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Loud bangs, bright flashes of light - don't indicate food, a snack or a treat... so Kerry ain't interested :p!
Sorry for those who suffer :(

ploots

Free Member
May 31, 2013
gloucester
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt bessacarr 765p
Exp
Our little daschund absolutely hates fireworks, it's a nightmare trying to get him to go out for a toilet after he's heard them

Oct 11, 2016
Bognor Regis
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 69-4
Exp
6 years
I hate this time of year, from now until after New Year. Charlie, our springer spaniel gets beside himself when the fireworks start. He will find the smallest space and crawl into it but won't settle for long. He just doesn't know how to cope with it. No amount of reassuring from us helps.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
Beautiful dog:) our 2 dogs are not too bad as long as the fireworks and bangs are not too close or loud. Previous bonfire nights we have sat outside with them watching the displays (we are on a hill) and they have nodded off at our feet and they will sit and watch the lights in the sky quite happily. Now the smoke alarm is a different matter and will freak them out!

Deleted User
Aww what a cutie, :)Our three are fine with them, oldest 2 grew up on Army camps so used to gunfire sounds from 8 weeks old. I think if they are introduced to stuff very young it helps. My old rescue hated fireworks, she could even smell them, if we didn't get her walked before dark, wouldn't leave house, one sniff off the night air, then straight back inside. Strangely though when I married Nige and she began going to work with him, the noise from the ranges never bothered her, assume she had a bad experience with fireworks before I adopted her.
There are recordings you can get now to play to young puppies to get them accustom to loud noises, bangs etc. Might be some use for older dogs too if introduced slowly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My muts were always very confused on bonfire night as nothing with feathers fell out of the sky :).

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dogs and humans are hard coded in their dna to react to loud noises and unless`puppies are desensitised to gunfire or fireworks, then they trigger the fight or flight response. its natural behaviour and is hard to change in older animals.
most people dont realise it, but how you respond to such incidents effects your dog´s behaviour. a calm firm demeanour is reassuring to your pets and they look to you for leadership. dont react to fireworks and any puppies will not react either

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Kept her hungry and fed her just as the fireworks started, they were right overhead a couple of them so loud they shook the ground beneath us, She didn't bat an eyelid. yy

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
A few have just gone of up the village...

And Daisy has gone Ape-shit... :(

Can you hear her...

Jul 2, 2014
Leeds
Funster No
MH
Ih tio
Exp
We are looking after my sons little one year old terrier she.s been sat on my knee watching the fireworks she.s not a bit botherd

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
Always have got my dogs used to the loud noises. Make a point of taking the latest 2 year old out to see the flashes and bangs.she's quite interested .not frightened in the least.it's all part of training them.
Agree sometimes it can be the owners creating a problem in the dogs which gets worse as they get older.
Our last dog used to lay with us by the bonfire not taking any interest at all.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Out Lily is doing her panting jelly-fish impression again ... poor bairn won't even eat her grub and she LOVES her food ...

Feb 19, 2015
Devon
Funster No
MH
AClass
Exp
4 years
Why why why can’t people go to an organised display - my dog is a bag of nerves now after over an hour of people setting off fireworks close to us.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back