Does anyone else think their motorhoming in France has finished. (2 Viewers)

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I don’t think ours is finished or at least I hope not as we’re only in our early 50s, hopefully when we retire in a couple of years all will be back to normal or as close as it will ever get.
In your 50s, you are real youngsters, when I was in my 50s I was travelling anywhere and everywhere in Eastern and Western Europe, you’ve got at least 25 years left before your finished and even then you’ll just start slowing down, I really wish I was only your age again.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
In your 50s, you are real youngsters, when I was in my 50s I was travelling anywhere and everywhere in Eastern and Western Europe, you’ve got at least 25 years left before your finished and even then you’ll just start slowing down, I really wish I was only your age again.
The actual age of the early 50s age group plus the retirement time and pension income of the 65+, with the bravado of the 18-30s, and the reduced motorhome insurance risk of the 55 and upwards age group, allied to the fashion sense of the late 30s/early to mid 40s [to ban those M&S beige unisex trousers and matching cardigans ...] seems to be the ideal combination for prolonged motorhoming. Other combinations may be available ... :rolleyes: :LOL:(y)

Steve

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Real youngsters, thanks 😂😂

We do our best to travel as much as possible when work permits and pre Covid, we plan to retire in 3 years at 56 and 55 so we can travel as much as possible. If the pandemic has done anything it made is more determined to do this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
Yes my passport run out last year , I was going to use it to the hilt and probably not renewing, anyway circumstances decreed that I would have to have a new one just to go this year :doh: , will it ever get used?:unsure:
Listen to what people are telling you, don't be depressed, I have had depression a while ago, couldn't understand why I kept wanting to burst into tears for no reason. I'm mostly over it now and I firmly believe that looking out in my back garden and seeing my van every day is what keeps me positive. I cannot see me not having one after all the years.
Fibromyalgia muscle pain, Mygrains,Back,legs all giving me gip. now got high blood pressure and having my C1 reviewed every year. lost so much time with delay's at dvla. cand drive abroad on expired licence when at swansea. Now Covid and all the shit with brexit. I am not throwing in towel yet. Nil Pemisimo Bastardo Carberundum. ( Don't let the Bastards grind you down) If you can drive a car you can drive your van, If you can walk fifty feet before having to sit down then sit in your van and drive as far as you and your pain killers will last. Then have a sleep and start all over again, even if it's the next day.
I still manage my 6.5t Carthago, It's the same as a car to me just a bit higher, and with tech I don't even have to turn my neck that far.
I don,t know all your problems, but keep positive and optimistic and never assume that something is enevitable until it hits you in the face like a wet fish. Best regards to you both, Stay safe. Bruce Sorry If I sound harsh but it comes with a positive attitude, my wife hates it.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
Not ALL Motorhoming in Europe has finished. I seem to have got myself stuck in Greece. After a four month trip at the end of last year I decided to leave the van with a friend in the Peloponnese and fly back for Christmas to Blighty. I’ve now flown back after having jab to retrieve the van but now have a decision of whether to drive across Covid ravaged Europe with self isolating and two expensive PCR tests plus PCR tests across Europe in the trail of Northernraider or just stay in Greece until everywhere including UK opens up.

There are a good few others touring around the Peloponnese as well...weather really hotting up...ongoing 23 degrees from Thursday....people starting to swim, flowers all coming out. Chatted to a German guy yesterday...he’s been touring around Peleponnes for 5 months and loving it....and these two parked up on beach for last week or so.

So not all is lost...once you are on the move especially once you’ve had your jabs it’s fine. Apparently the British Embassy are pulling out all the stops to allow expat Brits to get the jabs in Greece as they don’t want them flying back to UK to get them.

so would YOU drive back to UK or stay in Peloponnese? Answers on a postcard (from UK) please.

A74657C8-3CB7-4A6E-B1E0-44A6ABEA63DA.jpeg
0C28ADD9-52F1-40F6-A358-335F11B621EA.jpeg
0D85686D-9333-4674-BBC1-C372AB0221E3.jpeg
24E03964-736C-47F3-8093-21BDC2B1228B.jpeg

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I think a few people got the wrong end of the stick here.
I am not depressed or bored or whatever, never have been in my life, enjoy every moment on the farm I have lived and worked on all my life, and as to driving, I am driving tractors everyday, in fact except for not being able to go to France in the van, lockdown hasn't made the slightest bit of difference to me.
No, what I meant to say was is it all over going to Europe in the time I have left hopefully a fair bit yet, but you have to face realaty that if they keep pushing the timescale back, it's going to come one day that it's too late to go on a big tour.
But we still have coach tours , Ryanair, touring in car and hotels, even maybe cruise.
But definitely not depressed, no time for that (y) :sun::sun::sun:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not ALL Motorhoming in Europe has finished. I seem to have got myself stuck in Greece. After a four month trip at the end of last year I decided to leave the van with a friend in the Peloponnese and fly back for Christmas to Blighty. I’ve now flown back after having jab to retrieve the van but now have a decision of whether to drive across Covid ravaged Europe with self isolating and two expensive PCR tests plus PCR tests across Europe in the trail of Northernraider or just stay in Greece until everywhere including UK opens up.

There are a good few others touring around the Peloponnese as well...weather really hotting up...ongoing 23 degrees from Thursday....people starting to swim, flowers all coming out. Chatted to a German guy yesterday...he’s been touring around Peleponnes for 5 months and loving it....and these two parked up on beach for last week or so.

So not all is lost...once you are on the move especially once you’ve had your jabs it’s fine. Apparently the British Embassy are pulling out all the stops to allow expat Brits to get the jabs in Greece as they don’t want them flying back to UK to get them.

so would YOU drive back to UK or stay in Peloponnese? Answers on a postcard (from UK) please.

View attachment 478817View attachment 478818View attachment 478819View attachment 478820
Stay where you are ...if i hadn't bought this bus to convert id not have come back .. id have went south to turkey or in to Bulgaria or something. No point coming back here if you can avoid it

Mar 16, 2021
Riddings, UK
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
30 YEARS

View attachment 478817View attachment 478818View attachment 478819View attachment 478820
Stay put if you can, the situation will improve in europe, warm here at the mo (midlands), but frost and snow showers forecast for the end of the week, i know where i'd rather be;)

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Hymerbell
One reason to come home would be nearing 90 days in 180.
I m trying to think of another one to help you with your quandary.

Enjoy it
Ah yes as Tam said I went through all the hoops just before transition ended to get Greek Residency status....no quite full Greek Residency (you have to be here 5 years for that) but a Greek Residential Status type of passport also known as a beige card. I have to convert it to a Biometric card by end of June.

I present it at passport control and they wave me through otherwise I could not have flown out of UK. That was an unforeseen benefit...I got it so that I could stay in Greece as long as I want and it won’t count towards the 90 days in 180. When I go into Greece I go through EU passport control and show it then they don’t stamp my passport.

in fact chatted to passport control guy and he said that when I go out of Schengen zone and back in they won’t know how long I have been in Greece so won’t be able to calculate the 90 days in 180 but have yet to test that out.

Anyway 180 days in Schengen and any length of time in Greece is fine by me...plus Morocco and Asia etc. I just didn’t like the 90 days in 180 for the whole of EU including Greece so hatched my cunning plan.

A lot of people with yachts in Greece are doing the same thing which is where I got the idea from.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
The way Eurocrats have (and are) treating us Brits over our Brexit decision,
never mind the Covid in Europe nightmare
When allowed we will be perfectly happy meeting English, Scottish, Irish, Manx, and Welsh Brits,
on our own shores and Islands, and really looking forward to the pleasure,
No passports for us or the pet no language difficulty, and no multiple regulations.
Yeah....just the weather mate...and the sea temperature...and Mark Drakeford 🙄

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
did anyone else think they were running out of years if we keep getting knocked back,
Yes.
74 tomorrow, another one gone
Happy belated birthday Hope you enjoyed it.(y)
.Mythos beer €1.16 for 500ML...decent bottle of wine (if you know where to look) for €2.75. If that doesn’t get you off your Ar*e nothing will.
Not if you don't drink.:giggle:
Sounds like sheer hell to me.
Parents used tyo do them years ago dragging me with them. 10 hours on an old coach stinking of hot diesel on a good day. 12 or 14 hours on a bad day.
Just for info the exchange rate on Revolut today for euros is 1.1724 (y) :ROFLMAO:
I got 1,1746€ yesterday:dance2:

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Up until this week, as I have said on the numerous threads, I have been confident we would be booking the tunnel any day now for what would have been our final big tour of Europe, should have been last year , but obviously didn't happen.
Now with age catching up, and legs not what they were, and to put the top hat on it ,these latest figures and regulations it looks as if we might have done our final tour.
Won't be the end of holidays abroad hopefully but probably by other means if we are ever allowed, and to be honest air travel as also lost a lot of appeal now.
To be honest lockdown hasn't troubled me a lot, as I didn't go out much anyway, but this last lot of circumstances has really put a damper on all my plans now.
Does anyone else think the same or is it just miserable old Chas. :(
Have given up on Frnce in view especially of less that 50% of the population are for vaccination.Keep away for the place!

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
The way Eurocrats have (and are) treating us Brits over our Brexit decision,
never mind the Covid in Europe nightmare
When allowed we will be perfectly happy meeting English, Scottish, Irish, Manx, and Welsh Brits,
on our own shores and Islands, and really looking forward to the pleasure,
No passports for us or the pet no language difficulty, and no multiple regulations.
Each to their own, and one less van on the roads of Europe!

We would miss the ability to tour abroad and really don't want our motorhoming life to be restricted to the UK, as beautiful as it is.

We are optimistic that we will get abroad this year, although realistic that our end of June Tunnel booking is looking 50/50 at the moment.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
A return visit to Montoire sur Le Loir [Municipal Site in a delightful riverside setting, usually occupied by French motorhomers and caravaners in the 65 to 'Hang on God, on my way' age group, all of them absolutely charming and perfectly willing to show off their old, but lovingly maintained vehicles, would be a wonderful start to our motorhome 'career'. Sadly, I doubt it will be this year, unless the COVID infection rates and related curfews and other restrictions improve beyond all recognition, 'mais je reve, je reve' [getting all Edith Piaf in my old age now...] :rolleyes: (y)

The first photo shows an abandoned Elaine as I dashed for the loo block. On the more leisurely return leg, I realised that I had both sets of keys ... Oops.

Steve & Elaine

Attachments

• IMG_20180828_193208.jpg
    IMG_20180828_193208.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20180828_200652.jpg
    IMG_20180828_200652.jpg
    781.6 KB · Views: 35

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3

Does anyone else think their motorhoming in France has finished.​

It would appear that you asked about other people’s motorhoming in France by using the term “their”.
I am pretty certain that we’ll be back to France before too long. My wife hasn’t seen our son for coming up to a year now.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Follow up on my original post in this thread , chaser Emmit ,
Phoned Eurotunnel today , told a slight porky pie , that my dog had passed away so could I , get a refund on price paid for the dog on our june ticket . (£40) . told no problem ,refund to my credit card ) , so I dropped into the conversation that I didn't think we would be able to go on this trip due to only having had 1 covid vaccination & the high rates of covid over in France , & would they be able to extend my ticket in some way or do I just lose my £219 (mostly in Tesco vouchers) . Too my surprise he said he would look into it & let me know in the next 14 days if they could give me credit note for the value to use at a later date , Keeping my fingers crossed !!!
Pays to ask , will let you know the 3rd installment as and when .
Terry FIDGET

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Follow up on my original post in this thread , chaser Emmit ,
Phoned Eurotunnel today , told a slight porky pie , that my dog had passed away so could I , get a refund on price paid for the dog on our june ticket . (£40) . told no problem ,refund to my credit card ) , so I dropped into the conversation that I didn't think we would be able to go on this trip due to only having had 1 covid vaccination & the high rates of covid over in France , & would they be able to extend my ticket in some way or do I just lose my £219 (mostly in Tesco vouchers) . Too my surprise he said he would look into it & let me know in the next 14 days if they could give me credit note for the value to use at a later date , Keeping my fingers crossed !!!
Pays to ask , will let you know the 3rd installment as and when .
Terry FIDGET
When you say porky pie....do you mean it just had a tummy ache or that you didn’t have a dog at all ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back