Does anyone else think their motorhoming in France has finished. (1 Viewer)

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
At 76 it has crossed my mind but I'm not quite old enough for a SAGA coach trip for the 'Young at Heart' to the Lego 'Sol et Mar' hotel at the Costa del Concrete (even though the coaches have loos on board).
'Have Tena Pad, will travel; especially if the lady at the gym with 'a secret weapon down her pants' [quote/unquote] is onboard ... :LOL:

Saga is the only company to offer tours to the continent to the incontinent ... (y)

Steve

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Maybe prudent to help kick start our own economy this year, and look forward to when we can travel safely. Although I firmly believe that our motor homing way of life is one of the safest forms of holidaying in this current climate.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Maybe prudent to help kick start our own economy this year, and look forward to when we can travel safely. Although I firmly believe that our motor homing way of life is one of the safest forms of holidaying in this current climate.
Funny everyone think that their way is safe or best. I was at the till in the coop this morning, when an older bloke with only a paper cut to the front and right on my shoulder. I told him 2 metres, to which he replied not always and besides I am old !

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I would not mind having a go on a coach holiday. It would have to be a coach like the football teams use, with less seats and more room on it. Dropped outside of the hotel, no stress. Never done it so I cannot knock it.
We did one years ago. Travelsphere to Turkey. Different hotel every night, the only crap bit was the flights each way, don't know why airports have to be such horrible places.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
HI chaser , I'm like you in two minds , frustrated just coming up to 75 b,day , me & wife with medical issues , just gonna lose our June euro tunnel crossing as been moved and extened a couple of times , now they won't extend anymore Ā£250 worth of tesco tokens down the drain , still hopefull of possibly going 2022 for 1 or 2 trips ( I say hopefull ) ,then passport runs out early 2023 not sure we will bother renewing.
Thankfull for all the times we have been over to France and really enjoyed there aires & hospitality generally. Glad I was born just after the war & gratefull to have been able to do the things I have , with health limitations .
That's rough mate, can you get it back off holiday insurance?

Aug 22, 2007
essex
Funster No
MH
2017 sunlight t69s euro6
Exp
since 1999
hoping for a trip in sept if the house move dont get in the way

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
No as it was bought with Tesco vouchers which would now be out of date
Have you contacted Tesco to see if they can help?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
'Have Tena Pad, will travel; especially if the lady at the gym with 'a secret weapon down her pants' [quote/unquote] is onboard ... :LOL:

Saga is the only company to offer tours to the continent to the incontinent ... (y)

Steve
On my way to the ferry some years ago there was a large sign at the roadside: 'Dover for the continent' under which some wag had spray-painted 'Eastbourne for the incontinent'.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Is it just me or does anyone else think that if the only restriction left is no foreign travel then why worry? We are the first generation in the UK who have been able regard foreign travel as a right rather than a privilege - my parents didn't feel deprived or restricted because foreign travel was special, expensive, and regarded as indulgence. If all our generation has to worry about is foreign holiday restrictions we've got it easy and should be grateful we're otherwise unaffected.
Aye and sadly the next generation are now back to it being a privilege.ā˜¹ļø

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
On the plus side the staycations will do wonders for our economy and help all the businesses who have been hit hardest to hopefully recover a bit.

I think European travel will be allowed by the end of the Summer provided this South African variant doesnā€™t get out of control.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Have you contacted Tesco to see if they can help?
Thanks Mel, I first would have to get them back from tunnel , that depends on Boris sticking to no travel until end of June. As trip booked for 3 weeks in June , not going to use it any way as not happy about french attitude to vaccinations and current high rates of covid over there. Good thought though , will keep it in mind

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Unlikely this year. Our planned trip to France in September wonā€™t be happening thatā€™s for sure. France will still be there when the virus is properly under control and when it is, the french will welcome us back with open arms!

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
On my way to the ferry some years ago there was a large sign at the roadside: 'Dover for the continent' under which some wag had spray-painted 'Eastbourne for the incontinent'.
Oh never been to Eastbourne maybe I should give it a try, can see the humour, will dispense with TMI

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Maybe, but can't see foreign travel any time soon.
How about this for an idea with a difference. I see that the new trend is the likes of P&O doing uk coastal cruising using proper cruise ships as a base to visiting places like Cornwall or the Scottish islands. You require proof of both jabs to come aboard but it is an option giving cruise credentials. :cool:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
How about this for an idea with a difference. I see that the new trend is the likes of P&O doing uk coastal cruising using proper cruise ships as a base to visiting places like Cornwall or the Scottish islands. You require proof of both jabs to come aboard but it is an option giving cruise credentials. :cool:
The Scottish tourism would like this. The sales at the distillery on the islands would do well from sales with that amount of customers coming ashore.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
The Scottish tourism would like this. The sales at the distillery on the islands would do well from sales with that amount of customers coming ashore.
i heard a brief tv report a few days ago that suggested some of these were just cruises. You didnt actually get to leave the ship at all!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Up until this week, as I have said on the numerous threads, I have been confident we would be booking the tunnel any day now for what would have been our final big tour of Europe, should have been last year , but obviously didn't happen.
Now with age catching up, and legs not what they were, and to put the top hat on it ,these latest figures and regulations it looks as if we might have done our final tour.
Won't be the end of holidays abroad hopefully but probably by other means if we are ever allowed, and to be honest air travel as also lost a lot of appeal now.
To be honest lockdown hasn't troubled me a lot, as I didn't go out much anyway, but this last lot of circumstances has really put a damper on all my plans now.
Does anyone else think the same or is it just miserable old Chas. :(
Well I don't Chaser,,,not as fit and agile as I was but still managing to walk most days and driving no problem what so ever so unless something tragic happens healthwise looking forward to a few years yet..I have met plenty of 80 plus Motorhomes still touring abroad...BUSBYšŸ˜ƒ

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Is it just me or does anyone else think that if the only restriction left is no foreign travel then why worry?
It must just be you.
they are drafting in the army and firemen to vaccinate.
Macron is saying he wants vaccines "morning noon and evening"
It doesn't matter what you do.You can't vaccinate people who do not want it or don't turn up.
I'd rather shoot myself. why would you want to get on a captive infection for anything vehicle? Bit like using public transport or airplane.

Dog's not happy he might miss another year of seeing his girlfriends.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I can't fly long haul (yawn - health issues) but I love train travel and cruising.

I am sure that at some point we will have a "new normal" and be able to adapt and comply to what is safe and allowed. I like to go in the van as it is safe environment for me but this year we'll be staying within the UK. THere are so many wonderful places to go and see right on the doorstep. It might mean a gold panning trip to Helmsdale (something I've always wanted to do) and there are lots of places to explore as I research deeper into my family history.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Europe will open again sometime but I understand your thoughts chaser on the time issues.. I myself donā€™t want to do uk based touring but there are some places that Iā€™d like to visit.... šŸ¤”

what this Covid thing has done for me though is the type of van I get next and when I get one, firstly it will be more stealth šŸ„· so I can park up where I want to be and secondly I donā€™t think it will be this year as I think we my have this Covid problem for years to come... I want to travel where I want but most of all I want to travel FREELY without all this virus worry....

I think some people will have to make some life changing decisions in the next year or two.... yes this might be all doom and gloom but the facts are already saying this...

if I was to have said this 2yrs ago Iā€™d be put in an asylum....šŸ˜³

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Well if the ginger nut up in Scotland survives you can go on a foreign holiday up there, and no need to worry about booking ferries or trains, and the bonus is they almost speak the same language
I got a feeling itā€™s gonna be very busy up there with vans and caravan this year

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Watching various threads on will I/we be able to get over to the continent to France beyond this year, plus watching the hassle that others have had to endure, the stress of having tests to cross borders, and then self isolation on return to the UK, made me decide to not build up my hopes for travel anywhere over the channel for 2021, that way I couldn't disappoint myself.
One thing I would like to point out to those who dont consider holidaying in The UK, is that had we not bought a MH, joined MH Fun, then we would have continued to maybe have a week in the SW Cornwall/Devon to play Golf, or foot to the metal over night driving past Watford heading north to Scotland to see family in Ayrshire (funerals/weddings) or play Golf. The bit in the middle was just a long motorway, with an annoying toll to be paid in the middle.
We thought that it was only a "proper" holiday if we jumped on a plane to head off to far flung foreign places, even the weekend City breaks in Europe, or a 10 day cruise round the Med, anytime spent in The UK was just a gap filler.

Since buying the van, we have been to Chester, Lincoln, Norwich, The Cotswolds, South Wales, Dorset, The New Forrest, Malvern Hills, Stratford on Avon, Thetford, even Peterborough! We spent our Honeymoon 2 years ago touring The Highlands early season, great weather, no midges, and only 3 nights on campsites out of 21, to fill & empty and "charge the batteries" down the local pub/hotel.
Followed on further by a few nights (rain on) on my families Ayrshire farm, where we slept in the van so as not to put any burden on them making up rooms, other than mealtimes of course:giggle:
Looking back at things we now realise that we would not have been to any of these UK places, especially those towns/places in "The Middle" and we have so many places to see yet, like the Yorkshire moors & dales, North Wales, Anglesey, Northumberland, D&G etc.
So its chin up everyone, make the best of what's on offer, it doesn't have to be a CMC, or CCC "Campshites", there are Fun Rallies, Farms, Pubs, even some wild spots left if you look hard enough, trust me it will be better than you would have imagined it to be, just a wee bit different.(y)
Happy touring folks.(y)
LES

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
For anyone who is really desperate here are lots of low mileage dinghies sitting in Kent. An almost guaranteed resale market once you get to the other side šŸ˜‚. Return trips available :wink:.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017

Here you go
<Broken link removed>

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back