Does anyone else think their motorhoming in France has finished. (1 Viewer)

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
I don't think it's 'off' the list for the future but certainly for now, hence why we're going to do a nice holiday up in Scotland instead for early summer and take it from there. If we can get abroad for a winter holiday again, all things considered, then we will.

As we're not now in the EU the requirements to go there and return related to covid, plus the new rules for non-EU member countries' citizens, are likely to be a pain for a while we don't think its worth the extra hassle or concern to go there at present. We also appreciate, for us at least, that holidaying in the UK will require a lot less preparation work than if we were going abroad (dogs etc) also less expense (although that's not a major consideration).

We are already planning for Scotland (hopefully allowed over the border!) and not having to worry about the extra stuff for a foreign holiday has lifted quite a weight off my shoulders especially so for the first time in over a year I feel almost 'excited' about being able to have a lovely holiday, even if the weather isn't brilliant I don't care!

Put simply we want a relaxing break and that's what staying in the UK for the time being will hopefully give us.
Hi Mindy Girl. If you get over to Stranraer let us know and you can pop in for a cuppa (and empty your cassette/ fresh water etc). PM me if you ever get this far over :giggle:

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
Hi all, we also booked for September, already moved twice, we also had to get new passports as they would have expired 2 days before return to uk, still don’t know if we are going, I think not at the moment. Last year was to be our last big trip, that’s gone out of the window. We are glad that at least we have had 10 good years of travelling abroad, but still want to go again when possible, the dog misses her holidays travelling in the van.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Hi all, we also booked for September, already moved twice, we also had to get new passports as they would have expired 2 days before return to uk, still don’t know if we are going, I think not at the moment. Last year was to be our last big trip, that’s gone out of the window. We are glad that at least we have had 10 good years of travelling abroad, but still want to go again when possible, the dog misses her holidays travelling in the van.
I am not on my own then, strange int it, at least three of us had the same plans, we have been going for 12 years and over that time had more or less completely give up on UK holidays, except for special circumstances, like being close to something we wanted to go to or trying the van out.
And as I said , I am not being morbid or after sympathy or anything, just stating the fact that if we have to wait till next year that will be three years later than we intended having the last big one.
Can't keep extending it I'm afraid, if I was ten years younger I would also say there's always next year but there will come a time when there isn't.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I am not on my own then, strange int it, at least three of us had the same plans, we have been going for 12 years and over that time had more or less completely give up on UK holidays, except for special circumstances, like being close to something we wanted to go to or trying the van out.
And as I said , I am not being morbid or after sympathy or anything, just stating the fact that if we have to wait till next year that will be three years later than we intended having the last big one.
Can't keep extending it I'm afraid, if I was ten years younger I would also say there's always next year but there will come a time when there isn't.
I remember thinking life would be over when, and if, I got to 30. Thank goodness it wasn't. Embrace life whatever it brings and no regrets.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Ours are missing their holidays too, going to places with different terrains, forests to snuffle in, beaches to run about on and sand to dig in, waves to jump around in, lakes and rivers to splash about and go frog hunting (no they never catch any), lots of different smells, making new doggy and human friends, as well as just laying down relaxing and watching the world go by before slobbing around inside the MH after a long enjoyable day's holidaying!

Apr 26, 2016
South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur LVX 9
Exp
since 2000
Up until this week, as I have said on the numerous threads, I have been confident we would be booking the tunnel any day now for what would have been our final big tour of Europe, should have been last year , but obviously didn't happen.
Now with age catching up, and legs not what they were, and to put the top hat on it ,these latest figures and regulations it looks as if we might have done our final tour.
Won't be the end of holidays abroad hopefully but probably by other means if we are ever allowed, and to be honest air travel as also lost a lot of appeal now.
To be honest lockdown hasn't troubled me a lot, as I didn't go out much anyway, but this last lot of circumstances has really put a damper on all my plans now.
Does anyone else think the same or is it just miserable old Chas. :(
The way Eurocrats have (and are) treating us Brits over our Brexit decision,
never mind the Covid in Europe nightmare
When allowed we will be perfectly happy meeting English, Scottish, Irish, Manx, and Welsh Brits,
on our own shores and Islands, and really looking forward to the pleasure,
No passports for us or the pet no language difficulty, and no multiple regulations.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
The way Eurocrats have (and are) treating us Brits over our Brexit decision,
never mind the Covid in Europe nightmare
When allowed we will be perfectly happy meeting English, Scottish, Irish, Manx, and Welsh Brits,
on our own shores and Islands, and really looking forward to the pleasure,
No passports for us or the pet no language difficulty, and no multiple regulations.
Not sure about Manx ... they're a funny lot over there! :giggle:

Ian.s

Free Member
Jan 18, 2016
Oban
Funster No
MH
Rs Endeavour
Exp
Since 1991
We've booked a very out of the way place for two months September and October in Spain no deposit on the understanding that if we are able to travel we will. Although we love France I seem to be unable to drive through without being fined no matter how careful I am, that and the tolls and the cost of fuel we're going to bypass one of the most beautiful countries in Europe. Not to mention the stickers for cyclist to read all over the MH and the fact that Macron has a distain for the British. The ticket is only one way as we plan to go on to Morocco to beat the 90 day thing. If non of these plans come to fruition then the uk is a wonderful place to be

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Oh never been to Eastbourne maybe I should give it a try, can see the humour, will dispense with TMI
It's part of the Costa Geriatrica that starts at Worthing and spreads eastwards towards Eastbourne. Characteristics include lots of 'past their sell by date' individuals who drive ancient cars at 25mph and accelerate onto traffic islands on their way to the supermarket [which has now become a 4 days trip incorporating 2 overnight stays on the outward and inward journies]; and the local authority dispensing with burials, preferring instead to install the deceased in a beach deckchair with a 50p hire ticket clenched in the right hand by the establishment of rigor mortis ...

It says everything that the National Association of Undertakers held their Annual Conference in Worthing in 1991 or 1992. I lived and worked in Worthing at that time and was bemoaning my inability to increase the customer base to a rather urbane Accountant business acquaintance. 'My dear boy,' he drawled, 'if your customer base is mainly biodegradable, you are going to face an uphill struggle ...' :rolleyes: :LOL:(y)

Steve

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
I remember thinking life would be over when, and if, I got to 30. Thank goodness it wasn't. Embrace life whatever it brings and no regrets.
God yes, i remember as a teenage hearing someone had died in their mid 40’s and thinking well they had had a good run and were really old anyway. Or forecasting to 2000 and realising I would be 36 and obviously pass it!

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
I remember Richard beckonsdale, him from porridge. When he died of heart attack and as we got older saying we was in the danger zone.
We are all in God's Waiting Room; the only problem is that the bum shuffling along the banches is picking up speed and those people with whom we identify from our long ago youth are dropping like flies ...
'When your number is pulled out of the hat', and all that, but I hope that I can keep the Grim Reaper guessing my particular set of digits ... :rolleyes: :unsure:

Steve

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
I took a chance on spending £180 on four grandstand tickets and hope to be in Angoulême in the van in September.
We usually park up on a straight bit of road on the route of the rally on the Saturday, hopefully we can do it again this year. Eurotunnel have just extended my frequent traveller until late December.

Jun 7, 2020
London
Funster No
MH
Morelo Palace Liner
Exp
Since 1980
Ok .So I,m getting depressed now, If I may I lift the tone, and say what is booked for us.
8th Dec 2021to 18th Jan 2022 Penang,eor Christmas, only missed two in the last 18 years. The tsunami year and the Covid year. 26th Jan to 12 march 2022 in the motorhome to the Canaries. 19th March to 9th April 2022 beach hol. Grenada, 11th April to 17th May 2022 motorhome Greece, 4June for 90 days Turkey.
Its great for the head to have something planed to look forward to. If it doesnt I will move it again.

The Lord Squid

Free Member
Dec 28, 2016
The West Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Sleepers panel van
Exp
since 2017
The Le Mans Classic, due to take place in the first week of July, has been postponed to 2022.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Up until this week, as I have said on the numerous threads, I have been confident we would be booking the tunnel any day now for what would have been our final big tour of Europe, should have been last year , but obviously didn't happen.
Now with age catching up, and legs not what they were, and to put the top hat on it ,these latest figures and regulations it looks as if we might have done our final tour.
Won't be the end of holidays abroad hopefully but probably by other means if we are ever allowed, and to be honest air travel as also lost a lot of appeal now.
To be honest lockdown hasn't troubled me a lot, as I didn't go out much anyway, but this last lot of circumstances has really put a damper on all my plans now.
Swop you . Would love to visit the U.K. as haven’t seen family in nearly 2 years .

Apr 20, 2012
Bristol, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro 83
Exp
since Feb 2012

chaser

Oh no, not chaser of all funsters losing faith. I am probably not alone in taking comfort and strength from your long-term optimism that we can all return to Europe very soon.
Have you really lost confidence or are we all to get a surprise early April fool reveal?

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years

chaser

Oh no, not chaser of all funsters losing faith. I am probably not alone in taking comfort and strength from your long-term optimism that we can all return to Europe very soon.
Have you really lost confidence or are we all to get a surprise early April fool reveal?
No I haven't lost confidence mate, my original op was just meant to be a question , did anyone else think they were running out of years if we keep getting knocked back, but as always the thread has drifted, I know there are places in UK, that is not what I was asking, and believe me , as soon as there is a glimmer of getting over there as long as I am still mobile I will be jumping at it.
Hoping for July now as we did last year, and if things get better the big one is September.
Just no interest in UK whatsoever, I would rather stay in my own country garden. (y) :sun::sun::sun::sun::sun:
74 tomorrow, another one gone:Eeek:

Feb 20, 2010
winchcombe
Funster No
MH
swift sundance 630g
I think it will all open again in july! Countries will be rolling out jabs,summer will be here covid cases down they we be screaming for our money! I went last July/August and we still didnt know whitch direction we where going at least we do now,I've booked for 17th july in south west of france for 3 weeks(only deposite) if not we will enjoy the summer here and back to france next year,Had my 1st jab today out of the blue text this morning i'm 48 so we are getting there.

Hymerbell

Free Member
Apr 2, 2014
Winchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer 674
Exp
Since 2002 plus 20 years in a tent
No I haven't lost confidence mate, my original op was just meant to be a question , did anyone else think they were running out of years if we keep getting knocked back, but as always the thread has drifted, I know there are places in UK, that is not what I was asking, and believe me , as soon as there is a glimmer of getting over there as long as I am still mobile I will be jumping at it.
Hoping for July now as we did last year, and if things get better the big one is September.
Just no interest in UK whatsoever, I would rather stay in my own country garden. (y) :sun::sun::sun::sun::sun:
74 tomorrow, another one gone:Eeek:
Travel keeps you young....Motorhoming even younger...sunshine...vistas...meeting people...culture...cheap booze...sense of freedom....why would anyone stop. As long as you can drive keep going till you drop. As soon as French borders open....GO ! Keep going until you get to the Peloponnese....gorgeous. Swanning around there now...some pics to keep you going...Mythos beer €1.16 for 500ML...decent bottle of wine (if you know where to look) for €2.75. If that doesn’t get you off your Ar*e nothing will.

B58121B9-E5D8-401D-A9C4-E1870C37AD6D.jpeg
674754E8-3698-46EE-AF43-8C745EA0D6C8.jpeg
D6822E48-029F-4F91-A87B-D59541E72B98.jpeg
59FDF3DB-0C6E-45D2-AAF0-AA5D4CFC9A9C.jpeg

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I would not mind having a go on a coach holiday. It would have to be a coach like the football teams use, with less seats and more room on it. Dropped outside of the hotel, no stress. Never done it so I cannot knock it.
Can be nice, but wouldnt go on one without a looooooooooooooo

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Did a plane/coach/railway holiday to Scotland about four years ago.It was absolutely brilliant but only lasted five days..Flew up to Edinburgh,,coach to near Inverness and then four railway journeys. Cost as much though as a month in Europe,,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back