Does anyone else think their motorhoming in France has finished. (1 Viewer)

Sep 18, 2010
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Benimar 486 tessoro
Exp
2010?
Chaser I think it might just be confidence issue. We all haven’t took to the wheel for so long now
But I’m sure once nice weather comes and you go out and about, each time will be further and further you see 🌞💙

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No doubt France will be available to us September 'ish, just as most of their sites normally start closing.
Hope so, that's when we useally do the big ones, but have shorter ones before.
When I asked the question it was just Europe, I know we can go places here but not very interested in that, been near enough all the places I want to go here, and can't do with campsites at ridiculous prices.

marchie

Free Member
Mar 9, 2021
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Well if the ginger nut up in Scotland survives you can go on a foreign holiday up there, and no need to worry about booking ferries or trains, and the bonus is they almost speak the same language
The First Minister of Scotland, Ms Sturgeon, has survived the Vote of No Confidence. A ginger nut is a style of biscuit.

Steve

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
That's rough mate, can you get it back off holiday insurance?

Thanks Mel, I first would have to get them back from tunnel , that depends on Boris sticking to no travel until end of June. As trip booked for 3 weeks in June , not going to use it any way as not happy about french attitude to vaccinations and current high rates of covid over there. Good thought though , will keep it in mind

FIDGET. You have a Conversation. You will not get the vouchers back from ET because they in turn get paid by Tesco for the Vouchers that you have submitted to them.
However, I have suggested a course of action which may have a positive result. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
FIDGET. You have a Conversation. You will not get the vouchers back from ET because they in turn get paid by Tesco for the Vouchers that you have submitted to them.
However, I have suggested a course of action which may have a positive result. (y)
Can't you put it on here for anyone who may be in the same situation?

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Can't you put it on here for anyone who may be in the same situation?
Lets see what Fidget thinks first. I'm not being secretive but I wrote to him because he had/has the problem. I could be talking out of my rear end but I value his judgement.

Jan 11, 2018
Malvern Link, Malvern, UK
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 85
Exp
Since 2018
It’s miserable old Chas.😀 You just need to adjust your targets abroad, and maybe add an electric bike to your essentials. One of the many reasons we have a MH is that in our opinion it’s the most comfortable way to travel, and as long as you are ok driving it should remain so. Even if you limit your movement to an hour a day you are still travelling.The mere thought of airports horrifies me. I used to travel to Western Europe a lot, and even then sometimes spent longer at airports than in the air, and it’s even worse now.
Reminds me of one time we landed in Palma where we had reserved a hire car with Goldcar.
I think the flight was about 2.5 hrs which is the time it took to get hold of the hire car!
Never used Goldcar after that.>:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I took a chance on spending £180 on four grandstand tickets and hope to be in Angoulême in the van in September.
Thanks for that I was wondering whether it was still on this year:
Reminds me of one time we landed in Palma where we had reserved a hire car with Goldcar.
I think the flight was about 2.5 hrs which is the time it took to get hold of the hire car!
Never used Goldcar after that.
Whatever airport you use all the goldcar desks are like that.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
We used to go on Wallace Arnold coach trips years ago, and very good they were too, been to the south of France and Italy on them, and loved it, great going but the coming back seemed to take for ever.
In fact we have also been to the sol e mar in albufeira that is the next best to the motorhome. (y) :sun:
we went on a mystery coach trip once they did a sweepstake to guess the destination driver won

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
we went on a mystery coach trip once they did a sweepstake to guess the destination driver won
Like you my aunts in there late 70's , who lived on the Isle of Wight at the time , they loved coach trips , so they went across to Portsmouth by the ferry to get the coach (Mystery tour) only to find the coach went back on the ferry to a trip around the Isle of Wight.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Lets see what Fidget thinks first. I'm not being secretive but I wrote to him because he had/has the problem. I could be talking out of my rear end but I value his judgement.
chaser
I have received a response from Fidget and as he hasn't put any holes in my suggestion, I'll put it up for anyone who is in a similar situation.

Fidgets problem is that he is booked on a ET trip and his ticket, because of COVID is well past it's sell by date.
There may be others on here who are in similar spot with tickets booked through 2021 up to June. to coincide with the restriction on foreign travel which is not due to end BEFORE 17TH MAY.

This is what I wrote to Fidget making alterations to allow for those on here that may have trips booked in May or even April

"As I write this, the Gov. have introduced Law which states that to travel to any country, (except for very specific circs.) would be illegal and may make you subject to a possible £5000 fine.
In other words, as it stands, merely turning up at Folkestone could incur a £200 fine for anyone seeking to get a train, even though they've got a ticket. Watching the news right now, I was reminded that the earliest possible date for foreign travel is the 17th May. It was said that even this date could be extended.

Assuming that your ticket is for June I would write to Eurotunnel and time it so that the communication arrives on or about 1st May. If your journey is for a trip before or including 17th May,, I WOULD WRITE NOW. If things remain the same then Eurotunnel would be in the position that, by insisting that you travel at a date in the future which, ON THAT DATE, (the date of the letter,) it would be an illegal act. If your journey is for June I would point out to them that to travel the following month, (June) would be more than inconvenient because as a result of the ongoing pandemic, you have had to REASONABLY make alternative holiday arrangements in the UK. Be conciliatory, and suggest that you do not wish to receive anything other than your trip to France. Point out to them that, even if after the 17th May travel was allowed, it would be foolhardy, even reckless to travel, exposing yourself to the potential for illness, something that could be mitigated with the passage of time. Ask that, in these very special circumstances, purely as a result of the pandemic, you want further time to use the trip you have already paid for, (and for which Eurotunnel has been paid by Tesco.)"

I hope the above is of help to someone.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Like you my aunts in there late 70's , who lived on the Isle of Wight at the time , they loved coach trips , so they went across to Portsmouth by the ferry to get the coach (Mystery tour) only to find the coach went back on the ferry to a trip around the Isle of Wight.
I had to laugh....😆

Apr 30, 2018
Mid Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670DC
Exp
Motorhoming since 2018.
Chin up Chaser, September will soon be here and we'll all be fighting for a place on the ferries or the under water train. The sun will be shinning and it'll be lovely and warm.
I know after 12 months of this, it gets bl**dy harder every day but stick in there. "Tomorrow will be a Good Day"

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
This article from The Times may be of interest to those hoping for relaxation of some lockdown rules.

The author does admit to his company and other companies' interest in the technology.

There would need to be international agreement on acceptance of the data, but within Europe with 4 vaccines having been authorised that may not be a problem.

Geoff

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Mine never really started france is just a thoroughfare to more pleasant pastures...only good for croissants and baguettes 😁

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
East Yorkshire Motor Services (EYMS) bus and coach company based in Hull used to do mystery tours and occasionally my Mum would take me on one, I remember one in particular took us to Driffield which isn't a coastal or normal tourist town ... with it being a Sunday there was nothing at all to do, no shops open, not even a sweet shop to get an ice-cream at!

togsontour

Free Member
Apr 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner salano
Exp
Since 2008
Never say never. We have set the bar low with little expectation of getting over to France, so when it happens it'll be a bonus, until then we'll be revisiting some of our UK gems, and finding some new ones. We love Backgardinia but the open road calls, bon voyage campers

Jun 21, 2020
Huntingdon ish.... the rundown backwater
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2007
We decided that the planned June Trip to Brittany was going to be off in January, so I have not booked but pencilled in Belgium for September, however if this Covid act is extended then that plan is also hijacked.....what I did in January is look at the better Half's annual leave from her NHS role( with loads left over of course) and booked CAMC sites, mainly in the North and Midlands.... And all out of school term times....we begin mid May, she's had both covid jabs and I'm awaiting my second one. Realistically Continental travel won't be until the end of the year at the earliest

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt C Class
Exp
Since 2015
Last year I had a 6-week tour of Europe planned and had to cancel. I transferred all the bookings to same time this year - looks like they will have to be changed AGAIN! There is no doubt that France, Spain and Italy in particular will move heaven and earth to open up for tourism asap - their economies rely so heavily on us Brits and our cash during the summer.
the big question will be whether we want to risk it? My wife and I will have had both jabs soon - but do we want to be potential carriers?
it’s a bummer but that’s the way it is right now. Whatever, as soon as its safe to do so we’re off. Meanwhile trying to find vacancies at sites in the uk is getting harder and harder.
Good luck everyone - stay safe.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Our plan for retirement included months in the EU, however we didn't plan for FIL's dementia, so we haven't been out of the country for a few years now. Until this situation we had always gone abroad for our holidays but we have now had some very good holidays all within 2 hours of home. When the situation changes we will go to France again but we haven't missed foreign travel as much as we thought we would.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Last year I had a 6-week tour of Europe planned and had to cancel. I transferred all the bookings to same time this year - looks like they will have to be changed AGAIN! There is no doubt that France, Spain and Italy in particular will move heaven and earth to open up for tourism asap - their economies rely so heavily on us Brits and our cash during the summer.
the big question will be whether we want to risk it? My wife and I will have had both jabs soon - but do we want to be potential carriers?
it’s a bummer but that’s the way it is right now. Whatever, as soon as its safe to do so we’re off. Meanwhile trying to find vacancies at sites in the uk is getting harder and harder.
Good luck everyone - stay safe.
Exactly the same as us. Apart from not really wanting to go anywhere here, always say where we live is the best place in UK, lived here all my 74 years and no intention of ever moving. (y) :sun:

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Next trip abroad tentatively planned (ie nothing yet booked) for 2022, to the Netherlands. I do 95% of my travelling in the UK anyway, using the van as a base for events and volunteering, and when the restrictions are lifted I'm expecting to do some even more local trips, exploring places closer to home than usual, and doing short trips. I want to get out and about when I can, and I want to use my van. But I don't want lots of extra stress, and I definitely don't want to be on packed out campsites so I'll be looking for small sites with minimal facilities, and Britstops. My last overnight stop away was in November, less than an hour away from home, at a Britstop. I had a very pleasant evening meal, a peaceful overnight stay, and an enjoyable day the following day exploring a pretty village with a camera. I was home again 24 hours after I'd left, but I still felt like I'd had a break and a change of scene.
I'm trying to look at what I can do differently and positively, and enjoy, rather than mourning what I've not been able to do and maybe won't be comfortable doing for a while yet.

Mar 6, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1987
Hi there folks,
We planned to get away this summer but it looks like we may end up stuck at home. So... the next plan is to actually do all the things we say we must do to the house - usually when we are away. We make the plans and never do them when we get back.
I am looking forward to picking off those little jobs on the MH that I always notice when I am away but forget the moment we park up at home. With luck, when we do get away, we will have made our lives a bit better.
Thant's the trouble with having a home and a motorhome - two lots of repairs!

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Hi there folks,
We planned to get away this summer but it looks like we may end up stuck at home. So... the next plan is to actually do all the things we say we must do to the house - usually when we are away. We make the plans and never do them when we get back.
I am looking forward to picking off those little jobs on the MH that I always notice when I am away but forget the moment we park up at home. With luck, when we do get away, we will have made our lives a bit better.
Thant's the trouble with having a home and a motorhome - two lots of repairs!
Hah, yes! As I type my bathroom is being worked on, and last week the electricians were knocking the place about. It's a bit stressy having workmen in the house but at least some very long overdue work is being done.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back