Covid in a motorhome... (1 Viewer)

Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Don't usually do this, but copied the following from a FB site. Apologies if you've seen it elsewhere before.
An acquaintance and his wife on a year trip round Europe were struck down by a really bad dose of flu a couple of years ago and they said it was a nightmare being in MH and both so ill. Food for thought...

"As long term winter travellers of 45 years experience, we set off for our annual 6 month trip on the 11th October, against FO advice. ( We can do this as we have a seasonal business which is closed in the winter). Because of Covid we decided to drive straight to Portugal, our safe haven, without stopping in Spain this time. Normally we would stay in the beautiful north of Portugal until the weather breaks, but, again because of covid, we decided to drive straight down through Portugal to the Algarve avoiding the covid hotspots. We had 3 pleasant overnight stops and arrived on the Algarve on 15th October.
I can now tell you, with hindsight, that is the night we caught covid. By 22nd October I was feeling ill, by 26th October, very ill. Managed to get a test on 31st October, tested positive. My husband, who was asymptomatic was tested on 3rd November, and he was positive too. He is now feeling ill, but I am getting better.
I'm telling you it is no fun having covid in a motorhome, confined to the van, can't use the communal showers, etc. nor washing machines. Lying in bed with a fever, in soaking wet sheets that you cannot wash or dry.
We have now been moved into a tiny wooden bungalow with our own shower and clean linen, we are grateful, but it is actually appalling. It is for summer living and eating outside. We have a dining table and 4 chairs inside, that is all. We must not go outside or speak to anyone. Our shopping is left on the step. At least we now have access to food, before that we didn't, but we did not want to eat anyway.
I don't know what the moral of my story is, we haven't come to the end yet. Just be aware, no amount of experience or caution can protect you."

Comment

Janecambridge

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
3months
I saw this on Facebook too.My biggest fear would be getting corona virus abroad.This couple paid heavily for leaving the U.K. thinking they were as a safe or if not safer than staying in UK.Thank the Lord they weren’t admitted to a Portuguese hospital,all alone and sick. lesson learnt.
wishing them well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
I saw this on Facebook too.My biggest fear would be getting corona virus abroad.This couple paid heavily for leaving the U.K. thinking they were as a safe or if not safer than staying in UK.Thank the Lord they weren’t admitted to a Portuguese hospital,all alone and sick. lesson learnt.
wishing them well.
Do you mean thank the lord because they weren’t ill enough to be hospitalised, or do you mean thank the lord they didn’t go to a Portuguese hospital because that wouldn’t have helped them recover?
Janecambridge

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Being ill sucks but to be honest it doesn't sound to me much worse than it would be at home. I've had proper flu once in my life and it wouldn't make much difference where I was as long as I had a comfortable bed and a toilet nearby as I felt so poorly I could not even watch tv. If you have covid and can't leave the house and no one is allowed in to help you then does it make much difference where in the world you are? Slightly better to have a whole house to roam when you're feeling a bit better but personally for the small risk of catching it/having a severe reaction I'd take the trip but then I'm in the much lower risk age bracket so it's a very personal decision.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
So how/where do you think it was caught?

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
but personally for the small risk of catching it/having a severe reaction I'd take the trip but then I'm in the much lower risk age bracket so it's a very personal decision.

But what about the risks of you spreading the virus to people in a higher risk bracket ?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Don't usually do this, but copied the following from a FB site. Apologies if you've seen it elsewhere before.
An acquaintance and his wife on a year trip round Europe were struck down by a really bad dose of flu a couple of years ago and they said it was a nightmare being in MH and both so ill. Food for thought...

"As long term winter travellers of 45 years experience, we set off for our annual 6 month trip on the 11th October, against FO advice. ( We can do this as we have a seasonal business which is closed in the winter). Because of Covid we decided to drive straight to Portugal, our safe haven, without stopping in Spain this time. Normally we would stay in the beautiful north of Portugal until the weather breaks, but, again because of covid, we decided to drive straight down through Portugal to the Algarve avoiding the covid hotspots. We had 3 pleasant overnight stops and arrived on the Algarve on 15th October.
I can now tell you, with hindsight, that is the night we caught covid. By 22nd October I was feeling ill, by 26th October, very ill. Managed to get a test on 31st October, tested positive. My husband, who was asymptomatic was tested on 3rd November, and he was positive too. He is now feeling ill, but I am getting better.
I'm telling you it is no fun having covid in a motorhome, confined to the van, can't use the communal showers, etc. nor washing machines. Lying in bed with a fever, in soaking wet sheets that you cannot wash or dry.
We have now been moved into a tiny wooden bungalow with our own shower and clean linen, we are grateful, but it is actually appalling. It is for summer living and eating outside. We have a dining table and 4 chairs inside, that is all. We must not go outside or speak to anyone. Our shopping is left on the step. At least we now have access to food, before that we didn't, but we did not want to eat anyway.
I don't know what the moral of my story is, we haven't come to the end yet. Just be aware, no amount of experience or caution can protect you."

Comment
Read that on Facebook,,must be awfully for them.Hope they recover ok.BUSBY.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
"45 years - 6 month annual trip".......?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I do wonder whether they infected others on the journey?

I hope not
If their journey was like ours it's doubtful,,4 empty Aires on way down,,3 weeks on a 100 pitch site with 3 vans on it plus us and 5 weeks on 300 pitch site with 50 well spaced vans on it..4 Aires going home,,again all on our own.BUSBY.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The 'scientists' are getting desperate infecting Facebook with this sort of rubbish................

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back