LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Tell me how that is different in a house? For example: If you are 400 miles from home and your van breaks down and you have the virus I reckon you will have to communicate with more people than if you are tucked up at home.
Ok if you live next door to the super market but otherwise the same risk if you drige there or take a bus

I actually broke down when i set off on this trip and was recovered 550 miles

Or the van was ...i drove a hire car

Mask and sanitizer ....easy peasy

If i had the virus then id have eother stayed in the van till i didnt or id have went to hospital same as if i lived in a house

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
People in the higher risk bracket should not be out and about, they should be shielding,

All this caos caused by a lockdown to protect the minority, most of the higher risk bracket come in the older population (not all I know) so have a nice pension being paid monthly, Thank you very much

But the majority are being penalised! and they don't have the safety net of monthly pension payments

Shielding has stopped along with a lot of the practical help that went with it.

I was shielding and it wasn't great for either physical or mental health ...... I'm not old enough for a state pension so live on a mix of a small private disability pension and savings. We continue to live quietly and have little contact with the outside world, our shopping is delivered along with most other requirements.

Eggs

Free Member
Jan 3, 2018
Suffolk
Funster No
Tell me how that is different in a house? For example: If you are 400 miles from home and your van breaks down and you have the virus I reckon you will have to communicate with more people than if you are tucked up at home.

I don't get it, when I've been recovered one bloke came and got me on his truck, if I had the virus and my central heating failed in a house one bloke would come out to repair it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Smudger27

Free Member
Dec 24, 2019
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Pinnacle
Exp
Since 2008
I don't get it, when I've been recovered one bloke came and got me on his truck, if I had the virus and my central heating failed in a house one bloke would come out to repair it.

Remember you have the virus. You need medical help & your van needs mending.
You can't really argue that it is just as safe to be ill in your van as at home.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
If you happen to run out of water, gas, food, need to let’s dogs out for pee, feed etc. When you can’t lift your head off the pillow, believe me a 7.5 mar Mh isn’t all it’s made out to be! Be on own and it lasts for 7 days, my money is on home😢
Why? Id have to do the same in a house

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Reminds me of the old phrase "everybody is out of step except our Johnny". Anyway have fun and stay safe & enjoy your van.
Maybe if you tried fulltiming you would see just how crazy your assumptions are 😉

Janecambridge

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
3months
But you don’t. My loo at home is a flush, no emptying. My food can be delivered. As can any drugs I may need should I get ill with covid. I don’t go out to empty my bins where everyone else does. I don’t go to a public tap for water. If I did drive anywhere, I don’t pay tolls, need diesel or show my passport. I very rarely open my front door at the moment unlike my habitation door when I’m away.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
But you don’t. My loo at home is a flush, no emptying. My food can be delivered. As can any drugs I may need should I get ill with covid. I don’t go out to empty my bins where everyone else does. I don’t go to a public tap for water. If I did drive anywhere, I don’t pay tolls, need diesel or show my passport. I very rarely open my front door at the moment unlike my habitation door when I’m away.

So it is OK for others 'out there' at risk to support your life?......... not everyone can hide away....................

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
First off i dont have a house my van is my home.
My loo is also a flush ...it comes from a 130 litre tank. I have 2 cassette's thats 8 to 10 days ..but as far as im aware the main symptoms of covid don't involve toilet problems.

Because of covid im actually carrying enough tinned food i could last nearly 2 months without visiting a shop if i needed to

Im carrying a good supply of ibruprofen , paracetamol drugs which is all id take with a cold or flu ....granted im not carrying a ventilator

Unless the virus completly crippled me within 24 hours which it doesnt appear to do then id have time to make sure i had enough water and to park somewhere i would be closer to help if need be
I have a phone and a tablet i can make calls from both , and i could if need be write notes to attach to windows to warn people i was infected ....even in a foreign country i could find a way to have food or medicine dropped off at my van if need be

If i was so ill i needed hospital treatment that would also be done
My travel insurance does provide emergency medical covid help and repatriation if necessary

I wouldn't be driving anywhere once i knew i had virus so no reason for diesel tolls or passport showing

If i was parked in the uk i would have everyone of these same issues

Only id be in poorer weather with a lower immune system and about 1000 times more at risk of catching the virus in tye first place.

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Not if you think about it. Water, gas, loo are on tap, you don’t have to replenish any of these. You can bet your bottom dollar, the gas will be needin refill, the loo will fill up twice as quick, water needs filling up too- worse case scenario. in my only one experience of flu, the house could have burnt down around me, I’m not on my own so one of us could do the above. However, being on your own with Covid, will anyone want to help, for fear of contracting it. I’ve not had it and only until recently knew no one who’ve had it either. My daughter had it recently, she is still in isolation, says it’s one of the worst things she’s ever had.
soz too slow, you reacted to above post before I had chance to say same thing! 🥴

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not if you think about it. Water, gas, loo are on tap, you don’t have to replenish any of these. You can bet your bottom dollar, the gas will be needin refill, the loo will fill up twice as quick, water needs filling up too- worse case scenario. in my only one experience of flu, the house could have burnt down around me, I’m not on my own so one of us could do the above. However, being on your own with Covid, will anyone want to help, for fear of contracting it. I’ve not had it and only until recently knew no one who’ve had it either. My daughter had it recently, she is still in isolation, says it’s one of the worst things she’s ever had.
soz too slow, you reacted to above post before I had chance to say same thing! 🥴
My gas while in the climate im currently in lasts around 2 -3 months between filling

At the minute due to lack of emptying facilities in greece ive 2 empty cassettes ....so if struck ill ive nearly 2 weeks reserve already ....lots of water on hand and plenty people around who could easily fill my water tank for me without any contact with me

Ive never had covid obviously but i think im just as prepared here as i would be in a house and just as likely to receive help if i required it

Other peoples situations may differ but the main point is im at less risk of catching it where i am than if i was in the uk

My sisters father in law whos asmatic has covid at present in spain ....hes 80 and seems to be doing ok at present

One thing has been established with this virus ....it affects everyone different and im not putting my life on hold for what ifs

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Not judging you Tam. I’m away too. Heaven to get out and about.
you did however use “house“ as a comparison. That where I’m coming from with my response. 🤪

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not judging you Tam. I’m away too. Heaven to get out and about.
you did however use “house“ as a comparison. That where I’m coming from with my response. 🤪
Yeah i know ....but after 3 years living in the van fulltime a house is a distant memory and you just learn to adapt.

Sure its not pleasant being ill anywhere but personally when im ill i just stay in bed and sleep lol.
My biggest goal is not catching the virus in the first place so then i wont have to suffer it in the van
But if i did id just have to try and deal with it as best i can ....and if i need help hopefully id get it.

My biggest worry is my dogs as they would need out etc ....but ive been in that situation before and we managed

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Nobody supports me at home or when away. I was merely making a comparison between staying at home as advised or going off in a motorhome and the extra risks.

Your electricity, water, internet and gas, bins are emptied, food, medications prepared and delivered........

........all and much more (lots not essential) kept going by those that cannot afford to shield

Janecambridge

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
3months
At home my external bins are emptied once a week. In my van I leave the van daily to put rubbish in communal bins. 🦠

In my home the gas, water, electric is delivered as usual and paid for online. In my van I have to top up the water regularly from a communal tap. 🦠

In my home I have large enough fridge freezer to supply most of my needs. In my van I would have to go out to buy food.🦠

I do not have any medications prepared or delivered from pharmacy. I have plenty of off shelf medications. In my van if I got ill I would have to leave the van to go to a pharmacy to get off shelf medications. 🦠
I would not in any way expect those that need to shield, to provide for me or risk their health. Equally so I would not want to put anyone at risk should I get Covid whilst travelling around in my van whilst trying to get home early.

..and so on. 🤦‍♀️

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
At home my external bins are emptied once a week. In my van I leave the van daily to put rubbish in communal bins. 🦠

In my home the gas, water, electric is delivered as usual and paid for online. In my van I have to top up the water regularly from a communal tap. 🦠

In my home I have large enough fridge freezer to supply most of my needs. In my van I would have to go out to buy food.🦠

I do not have any medications prepared or delivered from pharmacy. I have plenty of off shelf medications. In my van if I got ill I would have to leave the van to go to a pharmacy to get off shelf medications. 🦠
I would not in any way expect those that need to shield, to provide for me or risk their health. Equally so I would not want to put anyone at risk should I get Covid whilst travelling around in my van whilst trying to get home early.

..and so on. 🤦‍♀️
Then you need to plan better in your van lol

My water supply does me at least 8 days but could easily spread to 14 -16 days or more

Always carry off the shelf medication you never know when you may need it

Long lasting food doesnt need freezing

I think what i have in my van at present i could not go hungry for at least 3 months

My electricity is self generated ...gas when full lasts a few months if not using heating
Which is why im in a country i dont need to use heating.

Really you put no more people at risk in a van than you do in a house

Janecambridge

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
3months
That’s your opinion based on long term residency in a van. I’ve been referring to those who think they are safer wandering round Europe thinking they are safer.
I admire you for your honesty and your adventurous life. Be safe and take care. 👍

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
even in a foreign country i could find a way to have food or medicine dropped off at my van if need be

Exactly, plenty of people have got help on here, and you even had visitors awaiting your German test results.

Noone has mentioned the risk of staying at home and disappearing down a sink hole, much harder for them to hit a moving target.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
So in your opinion anyone setting off anywhere is stupid and arrogant, it’s just the same if you set off to a supermarket/shop or Portugal, you are setting off on a journey so know the risks as being equal, or maybe less going to Portugal

How is it different, please enlighten me
At a time when people are being asked to work from home where possible and to avoid mixing with people in general I think at the moment anyone going on a holiday jolly is being selfish. If people are full timing and moving as little as possible they aren't. The virus spreads by people being in indirect or direct contact with others and to areas that were safe by people bringing it from areas where they have become infected. It seems to me that most people on a jolly are unlikely to stay in one place and are likely to visit shops petrol stations etc more often than at home I know we would be unlikely to be able to get a weeks shopping in the MH and store it but we easily do at home. So there's increased risk of both catching and spreading.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I know we would be unlikely to be able to get a weeks shopping in the MH and store it but we easily do at home. So there's increased risk of both catching and spreading.
Thats simply a case of being prepared and changing what you eat.

Sure perishable items would run out but personally when im ill the last thing i want to do is cook ....and often eat.

Soi have lots of canned soup, tuna even custard and tinned rice. Ive rice and pasta and several jars of sauce
Plenty cereal and 8 cartons of long life milk

Plenty coffee , sweeteners etc

I can survive literally a few months just on that if I needed to

Plenty painkillers too just incase

The last time i shopped now was 9 days ago as been locked down a week in Greece

I still have plenty fruit ,veg , eggs and other perishables at the minute and theres a van comes everyday with bread , cakes , milk , eggs , yogurt etc

There are people coming and going here which i dont agree with ....ill stay put for the 3 weeks they stated ....if thats extended then i may have to move somewhere else and shop on route as ive ran out of wine and the beer is getting low even for me.

But there is a difference on being ill and having posh food etc and being ill and having essentials

Anyone travelling at this time should at least be prepared to be isolated for at least 14 days and have stocked up accordingly

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

Sure perishable items would run out but personally when im ill the last thing i want to do is cook ....and often eat.

Soi have lots of canned soup, tuna even custard and tinned rice. Ive rice and pasta and several jars of sauce

I still have plenty fruit ,veg , eggs and other perishables at the minute and theres a van comes everyday with bread , cakes , milk , eggs , yogurt etc

There are people coming and going here which i dont agree with ....ill stay put for the 3 weeks they stated ....if thats extended then i may have to move somewhere else and shop on route as ive ran out of wine and the beer is getting low even for me.

But there is a difference on being ill and having posh food etc and being ill and having essentials

Anyone travelling at this time should at least be prepared to be isolated for at least 14 days and have stocked up accordingly
I don't mean shopping after you've caught it I meant the frequency of shopping and risking catching it. Although do agree with your points yes if you aren't going to risk giving it someone else you need stuff in ready . At least no-one yet has suggested the option of driving back if you get it like someone suggested a while ago that has to be the most stupid idea of all.

Feb 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
McLouis Steel
Exp
20 years
I don't mean shopping after you've caught it I meant the frequency of shopping and risking catching it. Although do agree with your points yes if you aren't going to risk giving it someone else you need stuff in ready . At least no-one yet has suggested the option of driving back if you get it like someone suggested a while ago that has to be the most stupid idea of all.

I gotta say I like the cut of Northern raiders jib, he's planned to be a survivor.He's not out being Cavalier but just realistic. If you are flu poorly food is irrelevant, water won't need much, toilet requirements therefore reduced, power won't be needed but will have solar etc, washing m/c irrelavent, the main essential would be a comfy bed. If one gets really sick there are hospitals in most countries and with a bit of pre-planning notes for windows etc will already be in the bag. Of course one can have a few days food in the van, that's only going to be needed when on the recovery anyway and need not be gourmet, rice, pasta few sources job done. The biggest issue for me would be walking the dogs. As long as we could get them out for the loo that would have to suffice.
I think folks who have done real adventurous stuff are probably better able to cope with adversity as they have thought through the risks and how to deal with it. Having spent 3 nights in a snow hole on the summit of the Marmolada following a mega dump of snow and whiteout, we'd find a way of coping being holed up in a m/h. I just think myself lucky there are millions of people for whom being stuck in a m/h would exceed their wildest dreams.
As North Face say "keep exploring"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back