Covid in a motorhome... (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
"Long term Winter travellers of 45 years"..............how old are these folk?

Where do they get the money?

Does it make any sense?
They could be like Tam,,work hard for 6 months and travel for 6 months
Wish it had occurred to me years ago..We could easily have done the same when I was 40 as we had no ties.Would have been in my 35 year now..BUSBY.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
There are numerous problems, getting ill in a motorhome as one of The long standing members proved only a few weeks ago!
lets get to the nitty gritty, you are not self sufficient. You need power, water and food. Unless you are plumbed in to black waste/ water and power you will struggle after a few days.Some more then others.
The difference with Covid,over most other ailments, is that you are a bio hazard. You cant leave the motorhome! So how do you get water, empty the cassette, walk the dog etc..etc
If you are at a fixed base or home, you will have the basic essentials, like power/ water/ flushing toilets, food, washing machine and the ability in most cases to call upon the numerous support services to help.
It must of been horrendous for those involved, and I hope they recover, but they knew the risks and will have to take the consequences of travelling Abroad whilst The World is battling a Pandemic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 26, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680st
Exp
since 2001
But what about the risks of you spreading the virus to people in a higher risk bracket ?
People in the higher risk bracket should not be out and about, they should be shielding,

All this caos caused by a lockdown to protect the minority, most of the higher risk bracket come in the older population (not all I know) so have a nice pension being paid monthly, Thank you very much

But the majority are being penalised! and they don't have the safety net of monthly pension payments

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
Must admit

sorry to here that , but if I fail ill I would rather be here in stead of any motorhome
Personal choice really but somehow being ill in your home is comforting but if we worried about that we would never travel. BUSBY.

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Being ill sucks but to be honest it doesn't sound to me much worse than it would be at home. I've had proper flu once in my life and it wouldn't make much difference where I was as long as I had a comfortable bed and a toilet nearby as I felt so poorly I could not even watch tv. If you have covid and can't leave the house and no one is allowed in to help you then does it make much difference where in the world you are? Slightly better to have a whole house to roam when you're feeling a bit better but personally for the small risk of catching it/having a severe reaction I'd take the trip but then I'm in the much lower risk age bracket so it's a very personal decision.
But wouldn't fancy emptying a toilet cassette or filling up with water or even finding out the gas has run out when it's all you can do to drag yourself out of bed. On the other hand, the loo is always close by in a MH :)

Caggsie1

Free Member
Sep 2, 2013
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2008
Hubby and I got Noro Virus whilst in MH. That was horrendous. Two dogs and a cat. Luckily he got it first then gave it to me. Something I wouldn’t want to repeat. Couldn’t even start to imagine what it would be like to have COVID In such a confined space.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think the OP was just trying to be helpful , not everyone on here could be classed as seasoned motorhomers and it is handy to point out that you’re not quite as self contained as you think if you’re on your own and bedridden for more than a few days or there’s two of you both ill. Emptying a casette might be a on a par with a 20 mile hike over rough terain when fit. Replacing a gas cylinder if it was offsite would be impossible. Most of us have have probably already decided what risks we’re willing to accept , Nick and I have which is why we’re not in Beni this year!

There may still be some people thinking about going in the NY if things improve a bit so the thread may help them. Sorry just realised that the last few posts have said much the same as me!

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
My motorhome is my home ....ive been ill in it on 2 occasions and while it wasnt pleasant being ill it wasnt much different from being in a house.

Last time was in cold wet belgium in november.

My major concern would be my dogs

But i refuse to spend my life worrying about something that may or may not happen .....this virus is here to stay ...even with a vaccine it will mutate each year like the flu

Sooner we learn to live with it and the most vulnerable take the decision to protect themselves without government telling them too then things will improve
Till then i fear years of recession and higher taxes to recover from it are going to be the norm.

Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Just some random thoughts in no particular order
Most people that are still out and about think they can better isolate in their vans
The people on the fb story must have had contact to pick up Covid
They must of had interactions with others to get moved to the cabin

Full-timeers don't have a choice but for the rest of us who can stay at home I am of the belief we should at present
It's fine that we can do our own assessment of risk but that needs to include our impact onto others.
I agree that at some point we will have to get back to a form of normality but with number's climbing I don't think it's now

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
People in the higher risk bracket should not be out and about, they should be shielding,

All this caos caused by a lockdown to protect the minority, most of the higher risk bracket come in the older population (not all I know) so have a nice pension being paid monthly, Thank you very much

But the majority are being penalised! and they don't have the safety net of monthly pension payments
You don't get a pension until your old and have worked for nearly 50 years..Pensions are also not free.You reap what you sow..I was lucky to be able to retire at 55 but without a pension until I was 60..When I say lucky but I always worked 6 days a week usually 12 hours a day.BUSBY.

Janecambridge

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
3months
“The people on the fb story must have had contact to pick up Covid
They must of had interactions with others to get moved to the cabin”

yes they got it from a Dutch couple in a restaurant.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
“The people on the fb story must have had contact to pick up Covid
They must of had interactions with others to get moved to the cabin”

yes they got it from a Dutch couple in a restaurant.
Thats why ive not been in a restaurant, bar,cafe,pub etc etc etc since covid started
The only places ive been indoors are supermarkets and shops .... mask on and hand sanitizer in my pocket.

The amount of people classed as at risk or in the risk age group who rushed out from july when lockdown was lifted and ate out to help covid out or rushed to campsites etc astounds me

What did they think would happen?

Stupidist idea ever to have masks mandatory in supermarkets and not wear them inside bars and restaurants with alcohol involved

And now people complain about others travelling or getting on with life .

Janecambridge

Free Member
Jan 14, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
3months
Forgot to say that there ere only those 2 couples in the restaurant.Outside tables were full.The Dutch man got too close and started shouting about British politics.

Agatha

Banned
Mar 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
McLouis Glen
Exp
10 years
The problem is that cases may be increasing. But the cases are based on a test that has been known to be flawed since they started using it. Just heard on Talk Radio that the "new" test they are using in Liverpool is showing that there are very very few positive cases. Must be a worry for the government as no doubt they were hoping for thousands so they could isolate more healthy people!
I would happily go away in our motorhome if I was sure that our insurance would still be valid. At the moment it seems to be something they can't decide.
We have had a few weekends away in this country and will continue to do so
Life is full of risks.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
"Long term Winter travellers of 45 years"..............how old are these folk?

Where do they get the money?

Does it make any sense?
"45 years - 6 month annual trip".......?

It did say they had a seasonal business so it's not impossible for them to work very hard and make a lot of money for 6 moths and then go traveling for 6 months. The immediate businesses that come to mind would be ice cream vendors, seaside snack kiosks and fairground ride proprietors.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
The moral of the story lies in the first sentence: "we set off... against FO advice". At that point, any sympathy I might have had went out of the window. How utterly stupid and arrogant.
Most people aren't on forums. Many do not even read papers ,watch the news. many would not even know FO advice existed. Many ,like me , it would never even occur to them to read it unless I was thinking of travelling overland to syria , or the Lebanon.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Most people aren't on forums. Many do not even read papers ,watch the news. many would not even know FO advice existed. Many ,like me , it would never even occur to them to read it unless I was thinking of travelling overland to syria , or the Lebanon.
Advice is just that ....advice

I wonder if these things exsisted centuries ago if many of lifes inventions and explorations would have ever taken place

I can just imagine columbas and scot thinking hmmmm its too risky lets not do it 😁

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Well on a positive note you’re both still here to tell the tale. If someone told you you were going to get COVID-19 you’d be horrified. If they then added that you’d survive albeit in uncomfortable conditions you’d say ‘Bugger the conditions, at least I’ll come out the other side!!’

OP
OP
SmithsInFrance
Sep 2, 2016
France
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2015
Well on a positive note you’re both still here to tell the tale.
Just to be clear, it wasn't actually us, it was another couple that had written on FB (so OK it might not be true, but the issues they raised were worth thinking about) - but you are right at least they got through it :)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The problem with going away in your motorhome is that in truth you are not really self sufficient if things go wrong. You catch the virus and you could affect the lives of others. It is selfish.
Tell me how that is different in a house?

Im pretty self sufficient

Smudger27

Free Member
Dec 24, 2019
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Pinnacle
Exp
Since 2008
Tell me how that is different in a house? For example: If you are 400 miles from home and your van breaks down and you have the virus I reckon you will have to communicate with more people than if you are tucked up at home.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
The moral of the story lies in the first sentence: "we set off... against FO advice". At that point, any sympathy I might have had went out of the window. How utterly stupid and arrogant.
By the way, may I ask what FO stands for, please.
Thank you
Frankie

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
By the way, may I ask what FO stands for, please.
Thank you
Frankie
Foreign Office, just an abbreviation Frankie. It’s sometimes FCO which is Foreign, Commonwealth Office or more correctly FCDO which is Foreign, Commonwealth, Development Office but it only recently changed to that!

Al n Val

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2019
West Yorkshire occasionally
Funster No
MH
Rapido i1090 Distinc
Exp
since 2018

So in your opinion anyone setting off anywhere is stupid and arrogant, it’s just the same if you set off to a supermarket/shop or Portugal, you are setting off on a journey so know the risks as being equal, or maybe less going to Portugal

How is it different, please enlighten me

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back