Could this be a workaround for the EU Pet Passport after 1 Jan 2021? (7 Viewers)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
One thing. I am still uncertain as to whether the pet of a UK resident cannot hold an EU Pet Passport. Or, if it can, if it will actually be recognised at the border in or out. BUT what I have read time and time again is:
If your pet has an EU Pet Passport any entries in it will have to be made by an EU vet or the document will be invalidated. So any entries for boosters have to be made (and they have to be given obviously) when you are in the EU.
Janie

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
One thing. I am still uncertain as to whether the pet of a UK resident cannot hold an EU Pet Passport. Or, if it can, if it will actually be recognised at the border in or out. BUT what I have read time and time again is:
If your pet has an EU Pet Passport any entries in it will have to be made by an EU vet or the document will be invalidated. So any entries for boosters have to be made (and they have to be given obviously) when you are in the EU.
Janie
Do you know how charges compare in say Spain/Portugal to uk for passport and vaccinations? I've not been that happy with my uk vet and plan to live abroad half the year so wondering about switching to eu passport.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Do you know how charges compare in say Spain/Portugal to uk for passport and vaccinations? I've not been that happy with my uk vet and plan to live abroad half the year so wondering about switching to eu passport.

As said I don't know for sure if it will be a workaround because I was sure I heard rumblings about the residency (pet and owner) being the same country. However, if it was allowed, the cheapest vaccinations I have come across are in Portugal. Just my experience. When we were stopping with friends there I was astonished at the cost of repeats and we got Izzy's rabies done there. A three year booster for €15 including visit. The passport was done in Spain, reasonable is all Iremember. Janie

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes, you’ll need an AHC - presumably because the boundary is now to be located in the Irish Sea.
So why can the Irish come & go without restrictions?
I pay 18€ for rabies yearly & 17€ for DHPPil yearly vaccines.
3€ for drontal & the passport signed ,stamped & sealed for travel.
Passport cost me 33€ all completed back in 2015.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
As said I don't know for sure if it will be a workaround because I was sure I heard rumblings about the residency (pet and owner) being the same country.

According to the vet who posted, in detail, on Facebook, it's the place of residence of the owner and not the country of issue of the passport, which determines the requirement for the AHC.

Hi Janie. Perhaps bellabee could provide a link to this vet on Facebook?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've just done a little bit of googling and came up with the below which is mainly aimed at US citizens taking pets to the EU but it could also be applied to UK citizens taking their pets to the EU too ... it seems to suggest that you CAN get an EU pet passport despite you not being a resident of the country you obtain it in.

How to Get an EU Pet Passport - Long Haul Trekkers

similar on this LINK too which says:

How to Get a Pet Passport​

I obtained an EU Pet Passport for my dog during a six-month stay in Paris. At first, I was worried that not having EU citizenship or permanent resident status would disqualify me from applying. I found out this was not true.

It was an easy exercise and completed in a 30-minute visit to a veterinarian clinic. The cost was 70 Euros, and when compared to what I spent for Danny’s Annex IV ($150 USD all in), very reasonable.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I've just done a little bit of googling and came up with the below which is mainly aimed at US citizens taking pets to the EU but it could also be applied to UK citizens taking their pets to the EU too ... it seems to suggest that you CAN get an EU pet passport despite you not being a resident of the country you obtain it in.

How to Get an EU Pet Passport - Long Haul Trekkers

similar on this LINK too which says:

How to Get a Pet Passport​

I obtained an EU Pet Passport for my dog during a six-month stay in Paris. At first, I was worried that not having EU citizenship or permanent resident status would disqualify me from applying. I found out this was not true.

It was an easy exercise and completed in a 30-minute visit to a veterinarian clinic. The cost was 70 Euros, and when compared to what I spent for Danny’s Annex IV ($150 USD all in), very reasonable.
Those links are 2 of the 3 which I posted at the very start of this thread - and were the reason I started this thread! :RollEyes:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Those links are 2 of the 3 which I posted at the very start of this thread - and were the reason I started this thread! :RollEyes:
All I can say is my brain has been fried by the numerous visits to my Mum so I forgot about them! :giggle:

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
Janie
Not sure where that info came from, we are UK resident at the moment, our dog has an EU passport and we have been back and forth to France for the last three years with various vets in both countries adding bits to his passport without issue. A pet passport should have the same function regardless of where you live, it is about animal health recording not where the beast spends his holidays! The EU pet passport is simply a unified document recognised by all the member states, it does not convey any citizenship etc. rather provides a vehicle for recording animal id/health in a format recognised by all the member states. As we leave the EU and are no longer a member state we cannot conform to the rules that exist for the other members, hence any UK produced document will have to conform to the listed country rules instead. Would appear to be no logical reason for a current EU pet passport to become redundant but the current brexit 'negotiations' could throw up any range of bizarre outcomes hence we have not made any plans to take our dog away until there is some level of certainty about EU/UK travel.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Not sure where that info came from, we are UK resident at the moment, our dog has an EU passport and we have been back and forth to France for the last three years with various vets in both countries adding bits to his passport without issue. A pet passport should have the same function regardless of where you live, it is about animal health recording not where the beast spends his holidays! The EU pet passport is simply a unified document recognised by all the member states, it does not convey any citizenship etc. rather provides a vehicle for recording animal id/health in a format recognised by all the member states. As we leave the EU and are no longer a member state we cannot conform to the rules that exist for the other members, hence any UK produced document will have to conform to the listed country rules instead. Would appear to be no logical reason for a current EU pet passport to become redundant but the current brexit 'negotiations' could throw up any range of bizarre outcomes hence we have not made any plans to take our dog away until there is some level of certainty about EU/UK travel.
I think what Janie means is that any rabies vaccination has to be entered into the pet passport by an ‘Authorised Vet‘ (unlike the worming treatments for example, which can be entered by just a ‘Vet’). While we are still members of the EU we will still have ‘Authorised Vets’ in the UK, but will they remain as ’Authorised’ after 31 Dec? Probably not, but who knows for sure at the moment?

I am working on the basis that next time I visit Europe clutching my AHC, I will then obtain an EU Pet Passport in a European country and any subsequent rabies booster vaccinations will be administered by a European ‘Authorised Vet’.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I was hoping Faye could travel on her Cypriot passport, but looking unlikely. More bad news. Another full lockdown December 28th, hardly any cases here, can we turn the clocks back a year x
I'd be turning them forward not back ....you dont want to relive this year

Although I have to say mine hasn't been that bad ....( fingers crossed)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not sure which would be the best way to go with this one. According to an article in the Guardian :
Meanwhile, the government is continuing to press the European commission to secure Part 1 listed status, stating that the UK meets all the requirements for it.
Full article here:
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ificate-for-travel-to-eu-and-northern-ireland

If we do manage to get Part 1 status, then a UK Pet Passport would still be valid.

If we end up as Part 2 listed, then if it was me I would be looking to obtain an EU Pet Passport on my next trip to Europe, so would not bother with getting a UK one. As with so many things, it has been left rather late for people to deal with sensibly.

If you don’t have a Pet Passport of some description, where does the worming get recorded for entry back into the UK?

PS You won’t hear any preaching from me. :wink:
Eu passport needs to have been issued before 1st january 2021 to be accepted.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
As said I don't know for sure if it will be a workaround because I was sure I heard rumblings about the residency (pet and owner) being the same country. However, if it was allowed, the cheapest vaccinations I have come across are in Portugal. Just my experience. When we were stopping with friends there I was astonished at the cost of repeats and we got Izzy's rabies done there. A three year booster for €15 including visit. The passport was done in Spain, reasonable is all Iremember.
Eu passport needs to have been issued before 1st january 2021 to be accepted.
How do you know this?

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
How do you know this?
20201220_232050.jpg

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
How do you know this?
As Northernraider says above. I saw about the EU passports (of UK domiciled pets) being 'issued before January 1st 2021' on a government or DEFRA post. I am sure so people do not all go and get EU passports for their pets once the UK has left the EU. But then, there seems to be more than one way of reading anything.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
As Northernraider says above. I saw about the EU passports (of UK domiciled pets) being 'issued before January 1st 2021' on a government or DEFRA post. I am sure so people do not all go and get EU passports for their pets once the UK has left the EU. But then, there seems to be more than one way of reading anything.
Not convinced I don't see how they will stop accepting new eu pet passports otherwise how will people from eu bring their pets to the UK in the future. That section is under returning to the UK. Anyway I will certainly wait and see for a few months what happens with the deal.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not convinced I don't see how they will stop accepting new eu pet passports otherwise how will people from eu bring their pets to the UK in the future. That section is under returning to the UK. Anyway I will certainly wait and see for a few months what happens with the deal.
They wont for eu citizens but in pretty certain that my dogs Spanish passports will become irrelevant as I have a british one

I'm hoping I'm wrong but I cant see how else they will do it.

The 4 month certificate is useless to me if i want to travel 6-9 months

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You are supposed to be able to get an ahc at a foreign vets. email defra & ask the qusetion of what you do if out over 4 months
Wont affect me on this trip but my next planned trip might be ....will have to wait and see. But current passports will get them back to the uk end of march

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
They wont for eu citizens but in pretty certain that my dogs Spanish passports will become irrelevant as I have a british one

I'm hoping I'm wrong but I cant see how else they will do it.

The 4 month certificate is useless to me if i want to travel 6-9 months
I don't think they know. They are making it up as they go along like everything else and this is quite a minor thing to them they've not considered properly and it's still all up in the air anyway.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
I think what Janie means is that any rabies vaccination has to be entered into the pet passport by an ‘Authorised Vet‘ (unlike the worming treatments for example, which can be entered by just a ‘Vet’). While we are still members of the EU we will still have ‘Authorised Vets’ in the UK, but will they remain as ’Authorised’ after 31 Dec? Probably not, but who knows for sure at the moment?

I am working on the basis that next time I visit Europe clutching my AHC, I will then obtain an EU Pet Passport in a European country and any subsequent rabies booster vaccinations will be administered by a European ‘Authorised Vet’.
I see the point; the question was perhaps, as you say, whether a currently 'EU' authorised vet remains so after brexit.
If you follow the apparent EU logic it would seem quite perverse for the EU to be accepting a signed AHC from the same vet they just said they do not trust to sign a pet passport! Same person, same info, different form. Having lived and worked in France and Germany I should be used to the stream of pointless admin required to accomplish simple tasks but there always seems to be room for another hurdle.
Is that right? APHA website says :-
"

Returning to Great Britain​

There will be no change to the current health preparations for pets entering GB from 1 January 2021.

Your pet must have one of the following documents when returning to GB from the EU:

• an EU pet passport (issued in the EU, or in GB before 1 January 2021), or a pet passport from a Part 1 listed third country
  • the AHC issued in GB used to travel to the EU – which you can use up to 4 months after it was issued
  • a UK pet health certificate (for travel into GB only "

from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-from-1-january-2021

I read that as meaning a Pets passport issued in the EU AFTER 1/1/2021 will be an acceptable document for entry into the UK.
The comma in the text is quite important - the date criterion applies to passports issued in GB not EU; if the date applied to both there would be no comma after 'EU'

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I see the point; the question was perhaps, as you say, whether a currently 'EU' authorised vet remains so after brexit.
If you follow the apparent EU logic it would seem quite perverse for the EU to be accepting a signed AHC from the same vet they just said they do not trust to sign a pet passport! Same person, same info, different form. Having lived and worked in France and Germany I should be used to the stream of pointless admin required to accomplish simple tasks but there always seems to be room for another hurdle.

The comma in the text is quite important - the date criterion applies to passports issued in GB not EU; if the date applied to both there would be no comma after 'EU'
Yes i thought that too

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I don't think they know. They are making it up as they go along like everything else and this is quite a minor thing to them they've not considered properly and it's still all up in the air anyway.
Yep i agree but after having been refused to cross last year and having to spend a further 21 days in cold wet france, Belgium etc due to an authorised vet not doing his job properly im kind of not looking forward to all the hassle now we have left eu and have to be out of shengen by a certain time etc

That incident last year would have put me over my allowed days.

Bloody shambles

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Beat me to it. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back