Could this be a workaround for the EU Pet Passport after 1 Jan 2021? (1 Viewer)

Jan 30, 2014
Midlands
Funster No
MH
IH 630 FL
Exp
So, do I still have to visit a vet when coming back to the UK having gone out with the AHC, that can cost 50.00 plus also

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So, do I still have to visit a vet when coming back to the UK having gone out with the AHC, that can cost 50.00 plus also
Yes, assuming you are travelling from mainland Europe, you need to get the worming treatment done. If coming back from Ireland/NI the return worming isn't required but outgoing worming is instead.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just read this article <Broken link removed>

which says:

a pet passport issued in an EU country can still be used by a pet travelling from the UK to Spain or to any other EU country. An EU pet passport is valid for the life of the pet. The nationality or residency status of the pet’s owner is irrelevant.

Defra has also confirmed that the UK Government still accepts EU pet passports for entry into the UK because EU countries continue to have “Part 1 listed status” with regard to pet travel.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Just used Beech's new Portuguese passport which had her rabies transferred over from her old passport. No problems at pet check in and we're all on our way back to uk!

Dec 5, 2017
York, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Almost approaching average
So a question then. If your dog used to (or still has) a uk issued pet passport, you could travel to the eu but would have to obtain a AHC first. Then, once in the EU, you can visit a vet and get an EU doggy passport and have whatever existing jab information entered in there for the future?
Clearly the worming for return is still required and would be entered in the EU passport. From then on, it’s all go just using the EU passport both ways.
Is that all correct?

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
So a question then. If your dog used to (or still has) a uk issued pet passport, you could travel to the eu but would have to obtain a AHC first. Then, once in the EU, you can visit a vet and get an EU doggy passport and have whatever existing jab information entered in there for the future?
Clearly the worming for return is still required and would be entered in the EU passport. From then on, it’s all go just using the EU passport both ways.
Is that all correct?
Yes. (y)

But also check out the Vets in EU thread for individual country info.

Nov 26, 2014
Never on the wrong road ......
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2014, before that 20 years of boating & caravanning
Is that all correct?
Yes 👍

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
I think there's still a question mark over whether all EU vets will copy over the current rabies vaccination information, and what documents they will be happy with as a source. But with that caveat, yes.

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
So, went to local vet yesterday , in Seaside, Eastbourne ( Sorry, that’s a bit confusing but the road is actually called Seaside, even though it is not actually by the seaside, and Eastbourne actually is a seaside town) for 🐕 to get a kennel cough spray. Whilst they’re the (Spanish) bet chatted to me about the new certificate. They will be charging £125 and he says that the document that needs to be filled in takes about 40 minutes (!) he talked me through the process, making sure that you have your appointment ready before you go, dog micro chipped, up-to-date vaccinations et cetera et cetera but he did say that he is sort of suggesting to people to get the EU passport for the dog if you are going to travel fairly regularly.I kind of got the feeling that they would be happier if you did that also as its a pain for them too despite the ££s.
Referendum anyone?
🤣

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
he did say that he is sort of suggesting to people to get the EU passport for the dog if you are going to travel fairly regularly.
Yes, wouldn’t it be refreshing if this alternative to AHCs was clearly explained on the government website?

I forgot to mention in this thread (although I posted elsewhere) that I got a French pet passport for my dog on my way back from Italy last month. :Smile: Details in link below:

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...rinaire-des-epinettes-laon.376/#sc-comment-72

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
The Times is reporting that as part of the negotiations on easing food shipments to and from Northern Ireland (NI), the question of pet passports is being discussed:

"They have also raised the prospect that pets would also be able to travel freely using the pet passport scheme and that the ban on British soil being sent to Northern Ireland would also be lifted."

Presumably they mean that the pet passport system could be used to mainland Europe, not just between mainland UK and NI. Early days yet, but by 2022 ...?

IanB2

Free Member
Jun 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
The Times is reporting that as part of the negotiations on easing food shipments to and from Northern Ireland (NI), the question of pet passports is being discussed:

"They have also raised the prospect that pets would also be able to travel freely using the pet passport scheme and that the ban on British soil being sent to Northern Ireland would also be lifted."

Presumably they mean that the pet passport system could be used to mainland Europe, not just between mainland UK and NI. Early days yet, but by 2022 ...?
I do think that will be the end point, with mutual recognition of the scheme, as happens in Norway. It's an obvious political benefit to travellers both ways, with no obvious downsides. The pressure from NI will speed this along, and I don't know whether we'll see an NI-specific workaround in the shorter term.

The key questions for us will be

- whether this is likely to happen quickly enough to make the effort and cost of getting a new, EU-issued pet passport now, wasted? Which will obviously vary depending on how many trips each year you expect to make, when widespread travel eventually resumes

- whether, when it happens, previously issued pet passports when the UK was an EU member will become recognised again, and hence resurrected, or whether we'll all have to get a new passport from scratch?

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
The pressure from NI will speed this along, and I don't know whether we'll see an NI-specific workaround in the shorter term
We in N.I. are currently the only part of the UK to retain pet passports. Our dog's passport has already been updated.
This was a very high tech operation - the vet stuck a new sticker on the front page and validated it by adding a note inside.
Total cost = zero.
The only downside is that our dog now needs wormed (and passport stamped) prior to returning home from any other part of the UK!
When we return from France we use the tunnel and visit our son in Bath for a few days before returning home.
If we do this now our dog will need wormed twice in one week!!

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
I do think that will be the end point, with mutual recognition of the scheme, as happens in Norway. It's an obvious political benefit to travellers both ways, with no obvious downsides. The pressure from NI will speed this along, and I don't know whether we'll see an NI-specific workaround in the shorter term.

- whether this is likely to happen quickly enough to make the effort and cost of getting a new, EU-issued pet passport now, wasted? Which will obviously vary depending on how many trips each year you expect to make, when widespread travel eventually resumes

- whether, when it happens, previously issued pet passports when the UK was an EU member will become recognised again, and hence resurrected, or whether we'll all have to get a new passport from scratch?
Good news. I was told (by e-mail - SM-APHA-Pet Travel (APHA) <PetTravel@apha.gov.uk>) some months ago that the UK had made formal application to the EU to be re-listed so that we could get back to pet passports. In view of the hostile attitude of our government to the EU it was not expected to be dealt with quickly, but the need for all to work together regarding Ireland may well be the catalyist that brings this to the fore. Good news indeed if that proves to be the case.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
We in N.I. are currently the only part of the UK to retain pet passports. Our dog's passport has already been updated.
This was a very high tech operation - the vet stuck a new sticker on the front page and validated it by adding a note inside.
Total cost = zero.
The only downside is that our dog now needs wormed (and passport stamped) prior to returning home from any other part of the UK!
When we return from France we use the tunnel and visit our son in Bath for a few days before returning home.
If we do this now our dog will need wormed twice in one week!!
If I remember correctly the treatment is valid for 10 days and travel can take place after 24 hours, which depending on how long you stay in England with your family could still be OK for onward travel to Ireland.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011

It doesn’t require a special ‘scheme’, it just requires us to be Part 1 listed (as Norway is). IMO we should never have been Part 2 listed in the first place as we meet all the requirements for a Part 1 listed country already. However at the time of Br*x*t I think people were just relieved that we hadn’t become an unlisted country. It wasn’t until the implications of AHCs were more widely understood that people realised that Part 2 listing wasn’t actually particularly wonderful.

As you can obtain an EU pet passport for as little as 15€ (Portugal), it’s not going to be a great waste even if we do get granted Part 1 status at some point.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
It doesn’t require a special ‘scheme’, it just requires us to be Part 1 listed (as Norway is). IMO we should never have been Part 2 listed in the first place as we meet all the requirements for a Part 1 listed country already. However at the time of Br*x*t I think people were just relieved that we hadn’t become an unlisted country. It wasn’t until the implications of AHCs were more widely understood that people realised that Part 2 listing wasn’t actually particularly wonderful.

As you can obtain an EU pet passport for as little as 15€ (Portugal), it’s not going to be a great waste even if we do get granted Part 1 status at some point.
All our dear leader had to do was agree to maintain their standards and we could have had the scheme running, but they spent two years doing nothing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If I remember correctly the treatment is valid for 10 days and travel can take place after 24 hours, which depending on how long you stay in England with your family could still be OK for onward travel to Ireland.
The worming is only valid for 5 days from issue for onward travel, its the AHC that you can get up to 10 days before travel which I think you are mixing it up with.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
The worming is only valid for 5 days from issue for onward travel, its the AHC that you can get up to 10 days before travel which I think you are mixing it up with.
I stand corrected. We have not travelled abroad for over a year, and under the pet passport scheme it was at one time10 days, but it did keep changing, especially from the original scheme in 2002 if I remember correctly, which is pretty much what the new system is now!

IanB2

Free Member
Jun 1, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking

I am pretty sure that’s where we’ll end up.

That the government couldn’t sort this out during the FIVE YEARS they had to prepare for Brexit is a damning indictment on their lack of competence.

What’s going to happen is that UK will be recognised as a part one country after most of us have invalidated our UK/EU pet passports by having UK vets update our rabies records in order to use them to re-enter the UK.

Thus by the time we achieve part one status, we’ll all have to apply for new pet passports from scratch.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back