Could this be a workaround for the EU Pet Passport after 1 Jan 2021? (1 Viewer)

Apr 20, 2020
Northern Ireland.
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC.
Exp
Since 2017
just to make it even more complicated, Northern Ireland will continue to issue pet passports but the old UK passport will need to be replaced. “A new style UK (NI) branded EU Pet Passport will be available shortly and these will be distributed to veterinary practices in due course”

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If it's allowed we'll do likewise, can't be doing with pratting around visiting our vet 10 days beforehand not lining their pockets more than we have already this year.

No, No, and No, you will have checks now on the outward journey, hence the ahc issued by uk vet. Bruce
I'm talking about having an EU pet passport in place of a UK issue one which is now obsolete. A EU pet passport (issued in an EU country) will be valid so this is what would be checked in place of the AHC, and negate the trip to the vet before leaving the UK, hence if we are able to get an EU pet passport that's what we'll do as it means no messing about getting an AHC before we leave the UK. We'll still have to do the visit to the EU vet before returning though just as we did previously.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
:Eeek: When I say it's clear to me, because all pet passports are European Union regardless of what country they are issued in. 🙄

Consequences of the UK's choice to leave the EU, Single Market & Customs Union.

Under Mobility EU pet passports no longer valid. 🤔
View attachment 451528
So Janie shouting at me, 😲 does that make her right. 😉 🤐 Bob.
Yes, I saw that - and it is what I was referring to in post #114 as needing clarification. It’s too basic a summary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I'm talking about having an EU pet passport in place of a UK issue one which is now obsolete. A EU pet passport (issued in an EU country) will be valid so this is what would be checked in place of the AHC, and negate the trip to the vet before leaving the UK, hence if we are able to get an EU pet passport that's what we'll do as it means no messing about getting an AHC before we leave the UK. We'll still have to do the visit to the EU vet before returning though just as we did previously.
Minxy has got it! (y)

Jul 4, 2017
Newton Stewart, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Imala 615
Exp
Since 2000
just to make it even more complicated, Northern Ireland will continue to issue pet passports but the old UK passport will need to be replaced. “A new style UK (NI) branded EU Pet Passport will be available shortly and these will be distributed to veterinary practices in due course”
An Animal Health Certificate will be required for travel from GB to NI, as well as tapeworm treatment.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before

Hi Minxy girl If you are right, and things are changing all the time I will be in the queue behind you but I thought that you have to have an address in a eu country in order to get an EU PP issued. This was looked at a couple of years ago on here and ruled out for that reason but as I said before things are changing all the time. We will watch with interest to see if it's possible, if it is, it's a bonus. Bruce.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Minxy girl If you are right, and things are changing all the time I will be in the queue behind you but I thought that you have to have an address in a eu country in order to get an EU PP issued. This was looked at a couple of years ago on here and ruled out for that reason but as I said before things are changing all the time. We will watch with interest to see if it's possible, if it is, it's a bonus. Bruce.
Would be very interested to see that thread, Bruce. I’ve tried a search for it without any luck. Any way you could track it down for us, please?

Bolti

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 13, 2017
Hondon Valley and the Kellets
Funster No
MH
Rapido V43
Exp
Since 2015
I fail to see the relevance/ requirement for an EU address when obtaining a pet passport. It is not verified in any way. Number 1 la la land Spain would suffice.
Here in Spain even with a bonafide address and postcode you have no chance of anyone finding the property even the postlady just rings if she has something requiring a signature.

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
Would be very interested to see that thread, Bruce. I’ve tried a search for it without any luck. Any way you could track it down for us, please?

Hi Maz, I wouldn't know where to start, It's It's something that is stuck in my memory bank!! but the way things have been moving at the moment I think I would be looking at searching for new Info as nothing that far back is relevant now any way.Just read some up to date info on this from a link posted on here, or another post, there are a couple running now, there seems to me a couple of contradictions on with regard to going to N/ Ireland, will have to read that again. As for posting links on here, I am a computer twat but dosn't help that lap-top is screwed up more than me!! I have to rely on Funsters getting there first,they usually do anyway. It will all come out in the wash, things have to get sorted with vets etc.
Good luck, Someone will find a way if it,s possible Regards Bruce Just seen a thread on here," Pet passports after 31st Jan 2021- New Govn't advice? " have a look at that.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
Hi Maz, Just one thing that might happen yet, according to DEFRA they have said that they are continuing to press our Govn't for part 1 listing, this "deal" we have only covers trade, to EU. So there is a lot of talking still to be done yet. It's possible but Highly unlikely that they give us Part 1, Gibraltar and I think N/ Ireland has it, we meet all the criteria for it cos we have met the standards for years and there is a uk PP to give us so all they need is ok from EU .
Lots of websites not been updated yet cos of holidays

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
I fail to see the relevance/ requirement for an EU address when obtaining a pet passport. It is not verified in any way. Number 1 la la land Spain would suffice.
Here in Spain even with a bonafide address and postcode you have no chance of anyone finding the property even the postlady just rings if she has something requiring a signature.

Posts like yours will always be considered. Bruce

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp

Screenshot_20201227-181612_Chrome.jpg

🤔 Bob.

Ps 😉 I'm only wasting my time looking at this because someone not far from me is arguing. 😁
None of this concerns me or the vet that will sell you anything, but it does border control. 🤔

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
ut I thought that you have to have an address in a eu country in order to get an EU PP issued.
As Bolti said most vets would just write down anything you wanted , some would even use there own practice address. I think I might start charging for
#petpassportsrusaddressadog :xlaugh:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
AFAIK at present those not in an EU country, eg USA, can obtain an EU pet passport even though they don't have an address there, so hopefully that'll be the same for UK residents.

Until we have full details from the UK govt we're all hoping for the best (existing PP) but planning for the worst (ie AHC).

Reactions: maz
Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
One of my dog's passports needed renewing back in the summer, and I emailed the practice in La Maileraye to see if they could do it and had no response, even after a reminder. Normally they are very good at replying to emails, and they have a record of us using them at least twice a year for several years. It's supposition, but I took that to mean they didn't want to get involved.
Rather than rely on Defra maybe one of the forums French residents could ask their vet if they would be prepared to issue a French passport to an English dog?

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
A French vet issued our pooch with a pet passport as our vet had put an incorrect digit of the microchip number on our passport issued in the UK. Unfortunately when we returned to the UK vet to get the original passport amended we didn’t get the French one back. Wonder if they still have it in our records, may come in handy? But basically from our experience a French vet can issue a passport to a UK dog.

Mar 28, 2019
DERBY
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo
Exp
since 2012
Or maybe that should read ‘was able’ to issue passport to UK dog?? 🤔

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Hi Maz, Just one thing that might happen yet, according to DEFRA they have said that they are continuing to press our Govn't for part 1 listing, this "deal" we have only covers trade, to EU. So there is a lot of talking still to be done yet. It's possible but Highly unlikely that they give us Part 1, Gibraltar and I think N/ Ireland has it, we meet all the criteria for it cos we have met the standards for years and there is a uk PP to give us so all they need is ok from EU .
Lots of websites not been updated yet cos of holidays
Yes, the government issued a press release dated 16 Dec:

The UK government is continuing to press the European Commission to secure Part 1 listed status. The UK has one of the most rigorous pet checking regimes in Europe and currently meets all the requirements for Part 1 listed status under the EU Pet Travel Scheme.

If we meet all the requirements then surely we should have been given Part 1 listed status since all this nonsense began?

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
View attachment 451638
🤔 Bob.

Ps 😉 I'm only wasting my time looking at this because someone not far from me is arguing. 😁
None of this concerns me or the vet that will sell you anything, but it does border control. 🤔
Hi Bob - let me play devil’s advocate here. :wink:

The opening sentences state that the owner’s country of residence matters - fair enough. However, there is nothing that states you have to have an EU residence address to obtain an EU pet passport. This is why the Americans (Part 2 listed country) are able to obtain them.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We beg to differ Maz, because Americans should use a health certificate, with all rules / laws there is always someone that has been doing it for years and got away with it. 🤐 Bob

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Just take dog abroad without passport and get a passport in europe that's what my daughter has always done as cheaper over here in France presume you can still do tha
I presume your daughter used your French address.

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We beg to differ Maz, because Americans should use a health certificate, with all rules / laws there is always someone that has been doing it for years and got away with it. 🤐 Bob
But have they been ‘getting away with it’? They use an AHC to initially enter the EU (as they are required to), but then are able to obtain an EU Pet Passport for subsequent use - which all seems to be above board. We’ll agree to differ. :Smile:

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i

The opening sentences state that the owner’s country of residence matters - fair enough. However, there is nothing that states you have to have an EU residence address to obtain an EU pet passport. This is why the Americans (Part 2 listed country) are able to obtain them.
In your link she states she was staying in Paris for 6 months. That's different to a touring holiday visit. Also with the new 6/180 rule I presume French entry points will have a record of your entry and exit to the EU.
As I've said before, although I don't want to fork out an additional 2 x approx £70 - £100 on top of all the other dog costs, I can't imagine a worse scenario than arriving in Calais and having a dog refused entry.
Having said that, where on earth are they going to put the dog checking facilities at the Tunnel or ports?

OP
OP
maz

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
In your link she states she was staying in Paris for 6 months. That's different to a touring holiday visit.
I’m not sure why that would make any difference. If you read through the comments at the bottom of that article you will see that many other people have obtained EU pet passports - in many different circumstances, and from various EU countries. The only country that seems tricky is Italy - much as I love the country, their bureaucracy is on steroids!

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Im being lazy and havent checked back on this thread, but Ill assume that a pet check point will be set up in the UK prior to boarding train/boat? As is the case with Pet reception in Calais.
The only checks at the moment are when you return to UK, but EU are now requiring checks to enter.
So from 1st Jan everyone will require an AHC before entering France/ Europe, but who's checking it?

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
Im being lazy and havent checked back on this thread, but Ill assume that a pet check point will be set up in the UK prior to boarding train/boat? As is the case with Pet reception in Calais.
The only checks at the moment are when you return to UK, but EU are now requiring checks to enter.
So from 1st Jan everyone will require an AHC before entering France/ Europe, but who's checking it?
As far as I can tell, space at the UK terminal for Eurotunnel or Dover docks is very limited, where will they put the equivalent of the Calais Pet Reception, and at Dover if the check is by ferry staff at check-in as at Calais, imagine the queues! Whether Pet Passport or AHC, the chip number will need to be matched to the dog(s)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Another thing to add to the mix ... if you were NOT allowed to obtain an EU PP whilst in one of the EU countries, no-one could 'adopt' a dog abroad, get an EU passport for it, and then bring it to the UK, which they do. This wouldn't be negated with Brexit as the dog PP would be produced in an EU country not the UK.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

As far as I can tell, space at the UK terminal for Eurotunnel or Dover docks is very limited, where will they put the equivalent of the Calais Pet Reception, and at Dover if the check is by ferry staff at check-in as at Calais, imagine the queues! Whether Pet Passport or AHC, the chip number will need to be matched to the dog(s)

Seeing as the EU is the one wanting the new AHC then it would be the EU country of arrival who would need to check it, if they realise the cost of doing it this might persuade them to give us Part 1 status!

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Seeing as the EU is the one wanting the new AHC then it would be the EU country of arrival who would need to check it, if they realise the cost of doing it this might persuade them to give us Part 1 status!
We have the pet reception set up for pets to enter UK, I can't understand how the AHC will work without a similar system for our pets to enter the EU. Unless its just a paper exercise, because we aren't in the club anymore!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back