Co-Pilot, MASSIVELY unimpressed (understatement) - it is GARBAGE. (1 Viewer)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I could go along with that Michael but the format of the screens in exactly the same as the current version where I thought the older CoPilot with these options had a different look to the screens.

Martin
Looks the same to me Martin as the old version except landscape not portrait, it is the Caravan version not the Truck version. Personally I would very much like to know.
M

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
This is what I bought. I’ll try and find the version number.

F40C14B4-CBFF-47BB-A72E-7AFD338DAC26.png

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Apparently I bought it in January.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yep same as mine but I hadn’t noticed those preferences before you posted, cheers.
Our co-pilot sometimes freezes, you have to close the app and restart, which is annoying if you haven’t noticed it’s frozen.
I now use an Avtex tourer one in the motorhome, for the larger screen.

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
Version 10.11.1.80 on Android. It does not have the road preferences option.

I actually resent people suggesting it's the way people have it set up a) without finding out how it's setup, and b) assuming it's 'user error' just because they haven't seen the same problem.

I've used many sat-navs over the years, be they app or device, and have never encountered one as bad as Co-Pilot. Admittedly I've only seen the problems in France, but I've also not tried it any where else (because it was so bad when I did try it).

It's routing suggestions are weird, in my experience, but it's re-routing is utterly garbage (again, in my experience in France).

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.

I actually resent people suggesting it's the way people have it set up a) without finding out how it's setup, and b) assuming it's 'user error' just because they haven't seen the same problem.

I agree. I found myself getting more and more angry as I read some particularly ill considered responses. Now we discover that those of us with problems are using a 'crippled' piece of software....

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp

I've used many sat-navs over the years, be they app or device, and have never encountered one as bad as Co-Pilot. Admittedly I've only seen the problems in France, but I've also not tried it any where else (because it was so bad when I did try it).

It's routing suggestions are weird, in my experience, but it's re-routing is utterly garbage (again, in my experience in France).
Out of interest why is it OK for you and others to make grossly disparaging comments about a solution but resent people suggesting that setup may well be the problem. Like you I have used many different dedicated Truck navigation solutions and my experience is the opposite to yours.That does not make me right or you wrong but neither would I defame your ability to read instructions in the same manner that some have chosen to do with CoPilot. I have no affinity to the software, indeed choose to use an alternate but not because its garbage, but because I have found an alternative that I prefer.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Thats the same version that I'm using except mine is on IOS and run on an iPad Pro.
There are no road preference options, they disappeared when CoPilot was taken over by Trimble and the name changed to CoPilot GPS.

CoPilot Caravan Europe, as purchased by cliffandger, was discontinued and the app changed to CoPilot GPS when Trimble took over.
Having purchased the Caravan version a few months before, I just downloaded the replacement GPS version at no cost and then set up the vehicle dimensions.
Seems to work OK.............most of the time.

Richard.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
I am experimenting with a 9" Android tablet with a built in 1080p resolution dash cam, using the same iGo software and HERE 2019 maps. Navigation wise, it is as reliable as the cheaper 7" units, with excellent dash cam video quality. It was the mounting bracket that let it down, causing me to revert back to my 7"unit for our Irish tour, however, that bracket failure has now been addressed. (y)
My useless but dealer supplied Teletrac... subs run out next year so was thinking similar. My Nozetec has also proved accurate & fairly reliable but the hardware is very old now & fairly ropey... can I ask what tablet and what mounting bracket solution you're using?

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Good to see the Road Preferences has been put back. I know they had a lot of bad reviews about removing this feature. When they make the traffic information free and produce a CarPlay compatible version I might try it again. I refused to renew the traffic subscription when for the third time it tried to route me down the M3 when it was closed for the weekend.

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
Out of interest why is it OK for you and others to make grossly disparaging comments about a solution but resent people suggesting that setup may well be the problem. Like you I have used many different dedicated Truck navigation solutions and my experience is the opposite to yours.That does not make me right or you wrong but neither would I defame your ability to read instructions in the same manner that some have chosen to do with CoPilot. I have no affinity to the software, indeed choose to use an alternate but not because its garbage, but because I have found an alternative that I prefer.

I'm happy for all the people that have not had problems. Good for them. I never said other people are wrong because it works for them, likewise nobody should intimate that I'm wrong (or others are) without first asking about the setup we have. "And looks like it's how user sets it up" is the kind of comment I find resentful as it in no way tries to find out how it is set up, nor offer any potential solutions to help.

And I'm OK making "grossly disparaging comments about a solution" if I've tried said solution several times, looked at how it's setup (which I have) and found it to be utterly useless! Yes, it is my opinion, but a valid one given how I researched the product, set it up appropriately, tried it, found it wanting, looked in the setup again and found no answers there, tried it some more (everything has an off day) and still found it to be useless. Less than useless, it had me turning on to a major ring road that turned out to be a very narrow side road, with a tight corner that gave me no option than to rejoin the main road I'd just left as the ring road didn't exist. Or when it tried to take me directly back to its original route when I'd strayed, rather than intelligently re-route me on a better way. Or when it re-routed me from a petrol station on a main road, that was on the original route, back the way I'd come, take me down a road I wasn't meant to be on (weight restricted), round a small housing estate, to a roundabout back on the main road that the garage was on, in the direction I was already heading.

I don't need other people's permission to disparage a product that I have tested, is setup correctly, used appropriately and found to be useless on several occasions.

There have been some useful comments, such as looking for certain options (which don't exist in the - up to date - version I have), or suggesting it's potentially dodgy GPS that thinks you're on a side road next to motorway you're actually on. Neither are relevant in my case, but they were constructive.

Saying something along the lines of "mine's fine so it must be your setup" (and I'm paraphrasing here) is neither use nor ornament.

I commented in this thread to show the OP some solidarity, in the face of nay-sayers with no constructive comments, by offering my verified problems.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
My useless but dealer supplied Teletrac... subs run out next year so was thinking similar. My Nozetec has also proved accurate & fairly reliable but the hardware is very old now & fairly ropey... can I ask what tablet and what mounting bracket solution you're using?
This is the 9" Android Truck Sat Nav unit I am experimenting with Stephen.

The more substantial mounting bracket came from Fleabay, and I swapped a couple of bits over. (y)
PM on it's way shortly. :)

Good to see the Road Preferences has been put back.
I have not used the Co-Pilot for a long time, so after seeing cliffandger's screen images, I decided to update ours. There are no road preferences in the latest version, nor is there the ability to add vehicle weights and dimensions. It has retained the MH icon.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I'm happy for all the people that have not had problems. Good for them. I never said other people are wrong because it works for them, likewise nobody should intimate that I'm wrong (or others are) without first asking about the setup we have. "And looks like it's how user sets it up" is the kind of comment I find resentful as it in no way tries to find out how it is set up, nor offer any potential solutions to help.

And I'm OK making "grossly disparaging comments about a solution" if I've tried said solution several times, looked at how it's setup (which I have) and found it to be utterly useless! Yes, it is my opinion, but a valid one given how I researched the product, set it up appropriately, tried it, found it wanting, looked in the setup again and found no answers there, tried it some more (everything has an off day) and still found it to be useless. Less than useless, it had me turning on to a major ring road that turned out to be a very narrow side road, with a tight corner that gave me no option than to rejoin the main road I'd just left as the ring road didn't exist. Or when it tried to take me directly back to its original route when I'd strayed, rather than intelligently re-route me on a better way. Or when it re-routed me from a petrol station on a main road, that was on the original route, back the way I'd come, take me down a road I wasn't meant to be on (weight restricted), round a small housing estate, to a roundabout back on the main road that the garage was on, in the direction I was already heading.

I don't need other people's permission to disparage a product that I have tested, is setup correctly, used appropriately and found to be useless on several occasions.

There have been some useful comments, such as looking for certain options (which don't exist in the - up to date - version I have), or suggesting it's potentially dodgy GPS that thinks you're on a side road next to motorway you're actually on. Neither are relevant in my case, but they were constructive.

Saying something along the lines of "mine's fine so it must be your setup" (and I'm paraphrasing here) is neither use nor ornament.

I commented in this thread to show the OP some solidarity, in the face of nay-sayers with no constructive comments, by offering my verified problems.
Excellent post confirms my thoughts.

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.

I added my comments for the same reason.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Well - my comments after today’s trip, having changed the preference settings.

Yes it took us onto more ‘major’ roads, and I have to say it was better than yesterday, but I still think we went on more secondary roads than we are usually guided to.

Having said that I don’t think we’ve done this route before, so we have nothing to compare it with.

Looking at the map today, I think it did pretty well.

The jury is still out - I will report tomorrow, when we head to Amiens.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Screen shotView attachment 338733I am happy with this but I have a crap radio
Now, after a LOT of work,

and our Pioneer being in and out of it’s casing more often than the okey cokey,

and some discussion with Steve and Denise and Techno Andy,

and the luck in having a panel on our bonnet that could take an aluminium casing, and an aerial,

We have a radio that works brilliantly on FM, DAB and Apple Car Play.

So no matter how lost we get, we can still STOP FOR POPMASTER!!

:notworthy2: Go The Bruce:notworthy2:

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I use CoPilot the latest version so no road preferences and have to fully agree that the routing is awful at times taking you off a main road for a slightly shorter frustrating difficult route. I have made ourselves bigger in all dimensions but to no avail. And I still do not fully understand the effect of shortest and quickest.

But other than that so far I have found it one of the easiest to use. Specifically moving around the map checking the route which is very important, poi support, destination entry, display themes.

I have tried many satnavs over the years. Most recently Sygic, this has similar routing issues, but the map display and method of moving around the maps are poor. Have tried the iGo (??) built in with Pioneer and Blaupunkt truck versions, had similar routing issues and chargeable updates.

I have also met people with Garmin and TomTom camper versions that complain of stupid routing.

Have no idea what to try next may try the Xgody or Novatec that keeps getting a mention.

But because of the ability to check the route fairly easily as driving with CoPilot I will continue to use it, but would love a better option.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
That looks very much the same as the Nozatec and XGody 714 units. The XGody 886 is a much better unit, than the earlier versions. (y) (Edited............ it appears to be the same as the 886 unit, ie, with the capacitive screen. (y) )

I've been using one for several years myself, but always with updated Truck mapping. I am currently using 2019 Q1 maps, with the all important .ftr Truck files. (y)

That's exactly where I found myself, regarding Co-Pilot :(

As above, I would recommend the XGody 886 with the capacitive screen. however, no matter which Cheapy Chinese Sat nav you buy, you WILL have to update the maps, as more often than not, they do not come with the "all important" Truck Files. Their own "Lifetime Free Maps" source is absolute pants, however, there are more reliable sources, ie, Facebook Nozatec Sat Nav User Group.

I am experimenting with a 9" Android tablet with a built in 1080p resolution dash cam, using the same iGo software and HERE 2019 maps. Navigation wise, it is as reliable as the cheaper 7" units, with excellent dash cam video quality. It was the mounting bracket that let it down, causing me to revert back to my 7"unit for our Irish tour, however, that bracket failure has now been addressed. (y)

Cheers,

Thanks Jock it's appreciated

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
That looks very much the same as the Nozatec and XGody 714 units. The XGody 886 is a much better unit, than the earlier versions. (y) (Edited............ it appears to be the same as the 886 unit, ie, with the capacitive screen. (y) )

I've been using one for several years myself, but always with updated Truck mapping. I am currently using 2019 Q1 maps, with the all important .ftr Truck files. (y)

That's exactly where I found myself, regarding Co-Pilot :(

As above, I would recommend the XGody 886 with the capacitive screen. however, no matter which Cheapy Chinese Sat nav you buy, you WILL have to update the maps, as more often than not, they do not come with the "all important" Truck Files. Their own "Lifetime Free Maps" source is absolute pants, however, there are more reliable sources, ie, Facebook Nozatec Sat Nav User Group.

Cheers,

Jock, just re read your post ?. Where did you get the iGo software for your Android tablet?

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Lost track of the number of posts I have read about satnavs good & bad, I got a snooper 8 years ago, just had one problem when the sound went funny 2 years ago , repaired for £38 by a local independent, my van is 9.5m long x 3.6m high so I need a reliable satnav so I will stick with Snooper even though they are expensive

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have 2 versions of Copilot on my phone, blue app (caravan version given free because I complain about speed limits) and dark grey app (Copilot gps, free version)
The blue version give road preferences but the dark grey version does not, I use blue version in the car, not bad apart from the occasional freezing.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
This is the 9" Android Truck Sat Nav unit I am experimenting with Stephen.

The more substantial mounting bracket came from Fleabay, and I swapped a couple of bits over. (y)
PM on it's way shortly. :)

I have not used the Co-Pilot for a long time, so after seeing cliffandger's screen images, I decided to update ours. There are no road preferences in the latest version, nor is there the ability to add vehicle weights and dimensions. It has retained the MH icon.

Cheers,

Is your copilot installed on an iPhone or an android phone / tablet? My android copilot install no longer has the mh option but has mgv instead which allows you to input the vehicle dimensions but the road preferences have disappeared. I did have copilot truck but an update changed it to copilot GPS which I believe has replaced most if not all copilot versions. I have an old iPhone with the old version installed as I haven't updated it, this still has the road preferences etc. I must remember to try both in tandem and see what differences there are with routes!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back