Co-Pilot, MASSIVELY unimpressed (understatement) - it is GARBAGE. (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Oh My Goodness! We had an horrendous day yesterday- being taken off the RN 7 through little towns and then back onto the main route in France! We ignored it twice, but followed it twice - what a nightmare!

I was just about to add to the comments here - when I looked at settings ...... after installing the new caravan version, I didn’t see the road preference section ......

It was in neutral for every type of road, with speeds just above walking pace!

We are driving from Chalon - sur Soane to Reims today - on new settings - I’ll let you know how we get on!
Does that mean the road preferences are back? If so perhaps they have read the rotten reviews they got for dropping the feature.

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I have used copilot for many thousand miles in Europe with only a couple of minor glitches. I also use a chinese cheapy so always have a second opinion if needed. The routing on the chinese cheapy always seems to be the best. I always use the 'easy' route option, which minimises road changes.
I would just use the chinese as the main one but know the hardware can sometimes be unreliable.
Can you tell me which Chinese cheapie you have as I like the sound of the 'easy route' option and wouldn't mind having a dedicated satnav (I'm well overdue to buy a new gadget). Or if anyone else has used a mobile satnav with a similar setting I would appreciate the information thanks

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Does that mean the road preferences are back? If so perhaps they have read the rotten reviews they got for dropping the feature.
They’re on the version I bought a few months ago.

Although Martin Mr Mousy and Phil Taran_Las both said this version took them down roads not fit for vans! Maybe they didn’t see the road preference section either - it’s not easy to find!

We’re on a non toll motorway now - we didn’t go anywhere near one yesterday!

NorthernSands

Free Member
Jun 25, 2019
North Notts
Funster No
MH
Hymer E700
Exp
Since 2016
I completely agree with the OP. Co-Pilot is garbage in France.

The worst thing it's tried to do was continually try to route me on to a ring road that doesn't exist, and looks to have never existed, nor was in the process of being built. This was tricky as the route through the town was fraught with low bridges and narrow one way systems. No matter where we turned, it was always trying to put us on the ring road. Now this will be down to whomever Co-Pilot use as a mapping service (Here?), so I'll try and forgive it that. But how can you pre-check the route for that?

But I can't forgive the re-routing it does, if you, even slightly, deviate from the route, like by getting fuel already on a road en-route, it'll have you doing all manner of circles, down weight limited roads to take you through a small housing estate, change its mind half way through, to take you to a roundabout that was on the main road the garage was on and where you would have been if you hadn't stopped for fuel! You don't know this, though, because it's already re-routed you and you don't know what the original route was anymore, you just rock up at the roundabout, look tight and see the sodding garage you were at 10 minutes ago!

I've also noticed that, if you ignore it for a time, it'll try to re-route you the shortest way back to its original route, not the best way to the destination, and some of the suggestions are ludicrous.

These are some examples of many times it messed up.

I also don't find the display very clear. It's worse than TomTom I had on my old Windows CE device I had 20 years ago.

In France we just use proper French maps (IGN usually) on a tablet using Memory-Map and I plan my own route. It's what I always use to do before contemplating Co-Pilot.

I still use sat-nav in the UK, but not Co-Pilot!

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Although Martin @Mr Mousy and Phil @Taran_Las both said this version took them down roads not fit for vans! Maybe they didn’t see the road preference section either - it’s not easy to find!

cliffandger
Ger, I updated the van dimensions but it still sent me down tiny roads! The avoid tolls part worked okay.

So I would say CoPilot Caravan / Moho is rubbish.

The new van has a Kenwood / Garmin moho satnav integrated into the stereo so I hope it works better...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Quite a while.....though not long enough
Sorry to say, that I'm glad to see that it's not just me having fun and games with it (moreso than any other specific navigation system that I've used over the last 10 years or so).

There is something fundamentaly flawed in my version (IMHO), perhaps it could be rebadged "Co-Pilot Moped / Scooter and Kayak Edition".

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
I get the impression this was written for the US market and has not adapted well to the older roads found in Europe. Could be wrong, perhaps it is just naff.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
So this has got me thinking, does anybody use TomTom on their phone?

I did years ago but then swapped over to CoPilot.

Martin

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
cliffandger
Ger, I updated the van dimensions but it still sent me down tiny roads! The avoid tolls part worked okay.

So I would say CoPilot Caravan / Moho is rubbish.

The new van has a Kenwood / Garmin moho satnav integrated into the stereo so I hope it works better...

Martin, did you find the ‘road preferences’ section though? I don’t mean the toll/non toll, but the Prefer motorways etc, etc,? Since changing the settings on this today, it seems to be keeping us on main roads ....

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Was wondering how long it would take :D
... I was wondering how long it would be before someone noticed .... ?

Yes I'm no longer a GOAFer, now a COASTer ...
1570875696811.png

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Have a look at the Floureon on eBay I have got one it performed perfectly on my trip to Weymouth I never hit any bridges or got stuck in a narrow lane £32:00 free maps and lodsa of uver stuff.
That looks very much the same as the Nozatec and XGody 714 units. The XGody 886 is a much better unit, than the earlier versions. (y) (Edited............ it appears to be the same as the 886 unit, ie, with the capacitive screen. (y) )

I have used copilot for many thousand miles in Europe with only a couple of minor glitches. I also use a chinese cheapy so always have a second opinion if needed. The routing on the chinese cheapy always seems to be the best. I always use the 'easy' route option, which minimises road changes.
I would just use the chinese as the main one but know the hardware can sometimes be unreliable.
I've been using one for several years myself, but always with updated Truck mapping. I am currently using 2019 Q1 maps, with the all important .ftr Truck files. (y)

I never really liked Co Pilot and soon regretted paying for it. However the latest version no longer has the road profiling so as far as I am concerned it is now a complete waste of space.
That's exactly where I found myself, regarding Co-Pilot :(

Can you tell me which Chinese cheapie you have as I like the sound of the 'easy route' option and wouldn't mind having a dedicated satnav (I'm well overdue to buy a new gadget). Or if anyone else has used a mobile satnav with a similar setting I would appreciate the information thanks
As above, I would recommend the XGody 886 with the capacitive screen. however, no matter which Cheapy Chinese Sat nav you buy, you WILL have to update the maps, as more often than not, they do not come with the "all important" Truck Files. Their own "Lifetime Free Maps" source is absolute pants, however, there are more reliable sources, ie, Facebook Nozatec Sat Nav User Group.

I am experimenting with a 9" Android tablet with a built in 1080p resolution dash cam, using the same iGo software and HERE 2019 maps. Navigation wise, it is as reliable as the cheaper 7" units, with excellent dash cam video quality. It was the mounting bracket that let it down, causing me to revert back to my 7"unit for our Irish tour, however, that bracket failure has now been addressed. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Last edited:

Mr Mousy

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2013
Llanelli
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840
Exp
First moho 11/2013, second 11/2014 current from 09/2019.
Martin, did you find the ‘road preferences’ section though? I don’t mean the toll/non toll, but the Prefer motorways etc, etc,? Since changing the settings on this today, it seems to be keeping us on main roads ....
@cilffandger my version does not have 'road preferences'.

Version 10.11.1.80

What version do you have?

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Just as way of an update. It wasn't down to my being tired and I didn't miss it offering other routes.

If you already have a destination set, and then you decide to go for another without first cancelling the other route it DOES NOT offer any options and just defaults to it's preferred route (in our case the zig zag s**t route).

The same would go for having a route and wanting to insert another destination, it won't give you the 3 options.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Going from what the OP said it sounds like it was set to 'shortest' it wouldn't have used any of the routes shown but instead went straight through Ouistreham and Collevile, hence the issues they had.
I did not have shortest set, I had quickest.

OP
OP
Ian-n-Suzy
Feb 2, 2009
North West
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp

Version 10.11.1.80

Mine does not have them either. There is very little to configure preferred routing, other than quickest, shortest, tolls and ferries.

Bugger all mention of Motorways on mine as I can find.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Mine does not have them either. There is very little to configure preferred routing, other than quickest, shortest, tolls and ferries.

Yes I am slightly confused by the reference to preferred routing as all this disappeared when Trimble took over ALK and really I think it was a good feature, you will have the option to "avoid tolls" "always" or "if possible" this can be set differently for different profiles say for car or motorhome.

Martin

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
I wont pass comment on the basic management of routing setup as others have covered that. One thing to bear in mind is the GPS within the device. I have found with both Sygic and CoPilot that erroneous routing instructions can be advised, such as described "come off a motorway" to only go back to it even within the same junction. This can be because the navigation software believes it to be at a different position due to lack of sight by the internal device GPS. I resolved this by using a remote bluetooth GPS like Garmin glo.
The reference to road profiling was a feature of CoPilot which many of us used and made a superior difference to routing and ETA calculation. Its removal led me to move to Sygic Truck.
We run 2 off 10 tablets both with full CoPilot and Sygic Truck licences and at the beginning of this trip we noticed a difference in the routing between the 2. I checked and found that when I set up the new tablets I set Sally's to Rv and mine to Truck. Stupid. Also one was use main roads and one was shortest. They made massive and ridiculous differences to the routing. I could have said they were garbage when in point of fact I was the garbage in the scenario.
M

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009

Would you honestly trust a device from a manufacturer whose only claim to fame was making domestic mixers? :unsure:

:D:D
:getmecoat:

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I've found co pilot as good maybe better than any sat nav. None are perfect And looks like it's how user sets it up

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013

Version 10.11.1.80

I’ve just screenshot the screens. Will transfer to phone and show you in a minute ?. The screen is on the Motorhome icon section.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Not sure if it’s an older version or not. I bought it from the App Store a few months ago.

I’ll try to find out which version I’ve bought!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back