Co-Pilot, MASSIVELY unimpressed (understatement) - it is GARBAGE. (1 Viewer)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Jock, just re read your post ?. Where did you get the iGo software for your Android tablet?
Just re re read and realised it is installed on the unit you purchased ? DOH! Also found it on Google play so am going to install it and see what happens ?

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
On a projected journey of 200 miles surely you would only preview the general route, looking at which town or part of town it was going through. Surely you are not going to look at EVERY junction? I am describing CoPilot telling you to turn off a major route then struggle for 200 - 300 meters then take you back onto the major route with no obvious reason.

Obviously you've not used the preview facility. While we have different sat navs in the cars and the motorhome they both do the same thing. You set the route to preview and then watch it follow the route at whatever speed and magnification you want. Ours can be slowed down at difficult points, or you can pause it and rewind to review bits again. It generally takes just 5 minutes to preview a 200 mile route. I remember a small roundabout on one route which led onto a motorway, but there were 7 junctions in all. It was great to zoom in and watch the preview in slomo to see exactly which exit to take.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
Correct, they are all Garbage.

I haven't used sat nav for about 3 years and the journey is now totally stress free. It's just a case of following the signs to the next city/town or "Toutes Directions"
I have Google maps on so I always know where we are and maybe switch to navigation mode for the last couple of turns to guide us in.

I've used sat navs regularly for over 10 years in UK, on the continent, in the US, Canada and New Zealand. Totally stress free, just listen to the voice commands, and an occasional glance at the screen when coming up to a difficult junction. Very, very rarely had a problem. If I think its turning down a narrow road, I simply carry straight on and let it find a new route.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I've used sat navs regularly for over 10 years in UK, on the continent, in the US, Canada and New Zealand. Totally stress free, just listen to the voice commands, and an occasional glance at the screen when coming up to a difficult junction. Very, very rarely had a problem. If I think its turning down a narrow road, I simply carry straight on and let it find a new route.
How patronising.. ?
My first sat nav was the Garmin iQue3200 in 2003 it cost me about £750 by the time I'd bought the 256mb memory card (£75) and the bean bag dash mount. It was so bad I vowed not to buy anything Garmin again. And to this day I haven't... What I did do is buy a few Tomtoms as they seemed to be leading the way back then, but with successive disappointments i now use Google maps/navigation it has left dedicated hardware units standing.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Can we nudge the civility up a little please and the my cat's blacker than yours down a bit..Thanks

IMO you are all using your sat navs wrong :D

I use satnav even when I know the route, as its nice to know arrival times and distance to junctions etc but mostly I'm ignoring it. However , driving oversize vehicles for years means it's important I stay on track but life's too short to watch route previews. If it's a route I don't know or I haven't travelled in a while, then I tell the sat nav where to guide me. Not the other way round. I choose the precise route I want to take, and then squirt that to the Garmin, via basecamp, so no surprises at all. Not one. (y)

Last edited:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
The night before, We had thought to stop in Reims, but the Aires was impossible to find, so we retraced our route and went to Chamery.

Yesterday, on leaving Chamery, It took us through some tiny roads and villages - too small to be named on the map! However, when we passed through the village of Courville, I worked out that it had navigated us from Chamery onto the D31 at Fismes by going ‘cross country’ rather than directing us back onto the D980, which would have been better, I suppose.

However, once we got onto the D31 it was fine.

It wanted to turn left onto another minor road, but we stayed on the main road into Amiens.

The only reason I can think of for this is that it wants to take you on the shortest route, even though we’ve programmed it to follow the ‘fastest’ route.

The jury is still out - we know our way to the final stop tonight, so we don’t have to follow it blindly today!

Jun 15, 2009
Pontefract Yorkshire.
Funster No
Can we nudge the civility up a little please and the my cat's blacker than yours down a bit..Thanks

I use satnav even when I know the route, as its nice to know arrival times and distance to junctions etc but mostly I'm ignoring it. However , driving oversize vehicles for years means it's important I stay on track but life's too short to watch route previews. If it's a route I don't know or I haven't travelled in a while, then I tell the sat nav where to guide me. Not the other way round. I choose the precise route I want to take, and then squirt that to the Garmin, via basecamp, so no surprises at all. Not one. (y)
To do that would I have to put in waypoints to tell the device the route I want?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Jock, just re read your post ?. Where did you get the iGo software for your Android tablet?
As you've discovered Neil, it was already on there with TomTom maps, which I have totally replaced with the better HERE maps.

Is your copilot installed on an iPhone or an android phone / tablet?
On and Android phone and tablet, upgraded to Co-Pilot GPS.

Wonder why it's using Android 4? Current version is at least 9. Does it accept Android updates?
Sorry Tony, I haven't a clue. I bought it for the 9" screen and dash cam facility.

They don't usually accept updates, I had a cheap one once. Very slow too.
Myself and TheHat Bill (who put me on to it) are using them successfully, with no delay or freezing to the navigation at all. As I posted earlier, the video quality for the GPS dash cam is pretty good. (y) I've not had a chance to try it out on night driving yet.

Just re re read and realised it is installed on the unit you purchased ? DOH! Also found it on Google play so am going to install it and see what happens ?
Good luck Neil. Let us know how you get on please. (y)

Not quite all Jim. ;) I often input co-ords from Google Maps, taking me on the route I want to take, rather than follow the unit blindly. Zooming right in on the maps allows me to be careful not to pick up the co-ords for the wrong side of a dual carriageway or motorway along the route. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Reactions: Jim
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Not quite all @Jim. ;) I often input co-ords from Google Maps, taking me on the route I want to take, rather than follow the unit blindly. Zooming right in on the maps allows me to be careful not to pick up the co-ords for the wrong side of a dual carriageway or motorway along the route. (y)

Cheers,

All I ever do is put in the Post Code or co-ords then follow the instructions. I've been caught out by weird campsite access once or twice but I don't care because I've no schedule. I have tried various 'size of vehicle' settings but none work that well so I keep my eyes open for narrow routes. I have set the vehicle icon as a mh though :D . Vehicle is 8 metres towing 4+ metre trailer. We always get very near to where we're headed.

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
That looks very much the same as the Nozatec and XGody 714 units. The XGody 886 is a much better unit, than the earlier versions. (y) (Edited............ it appears to be the same as the 886 unit, ie, with the capacitive screen. (y) )

I've been using one for several years myself, but always with updated Truck mapping. I am currently using 2019 Q1 maps, with the all important .ftr Truck files. (y)

That's exactly where I found myself, regarding Co-Pilot :(

As above, I would recommend the XGody 886 with the capacitive screen. however, no matter which Cheapy Chinese Sat nav you buy, you WILL have to update the maps, as more often than not, they do not come with the "all important" Truck Files. Their own "Lifetime Free Maps" source is absolute pants, however, there are more reliable sources, ie, Facebook Nozatec Sat Nav User Group.

I am experimenting with a 9" Android tablet with a built in 1080p resolution dash cam, using the same iGo software and HERE 2019 maps. Navigation wise, it is as reliable as the cheaper 7" units, with excellent dash cam video quality. It was the mounting bracket that let it down, causing me to revert back to my 7"unit for our Irish tour, however, that bracket failure has now been addressed. (y)

Cheers,

It might amuse you to know that I bought my first Nozatec on your recommendation and then upgraded to Xgody. I also have gone down the route of an Lenovo Android tablet and tried to use the iGo Next Generation system, but I have not a good experience with it at all. Didn’t like the look of the screen app and had great difficulty in getting voice guidance to work at all. Contacted iGo with my grievances and eventually we agreed that getting a refund was the way to go as they were still working on a resolution to the problem.
Back to the research.

Jan 3, 2017
Huntly
Funster No
MH
Frankia i640 SD
Exp
Since 2004
As you've discovered Neil, it was already on there with TomTom maps, which I have totally replaced with the better HERE maps.

On and Android phone and tablet, upgraded to Co-Pilot GPS.

Sorry Tony, I haven't a clue. I bought it for the 9" screen and dash cam facility.

Myself and TheHat Bill (who put me on to it) are using them successfully, with no delay or freezing to the navigation at all. As I posted earlier, the video quality for the GPS dash cam is pretty good. (y) I've not had a chance to try it out on night driving yet.

Good luck Neil. Let us know how you get on please. (y)

Not quite all Jim. ;) I often input co-ords from Google Maps, taking me on the route I want to take, rather than follow the unit blindly. Zooming right in on the maps allows me to be careful not to pick up the co-ords for the wrong side of a dual carriageway or motorway along the route. (y)

Cheers,

Would you honestly trust a device from a manufacturer whose only claim to fame was making domestic mixers? :unsure:

:D:D
:getmecoat:
We bought a Kenwood dishwasher on a Which recommendation and it has been good.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
We bought a Kenwood dishwasher on a Which recommendation and it has been good.
I can’t get one on my dashboard but I am hoping that next years iPhone will do the washing up. :)

Jan 17, 2010
Northants
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach740SE
Exp
Since 2006
I'm coming into this probably too late to be viewed as constructive but if anybody does read it, the current version of copilot is the same on Android and IOS, ie the way it works, if the road resrtictions are in place within the Routing Profile then any road that doesnt meet the dimension critera will be lined each side in Red. If your not seeing these restricted roads and there a lot of them then your routing profile is not quite right.
This happens all over Europe for me, I have two profiles set up one for the Motorhome and one for the Car.
I am not using the caravan version just the standard version which I will admit bought 10 years ago and has updates for life so I can say it is Version 10.11.1.80 map is Road Network 1.4.1.1 Build2

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
We always get very near to where we're headed.
Without wishing to sound cocky, the method I use as posted above, takes us to exactly where we are headed Tony. ;) Using Google Street View, allows me to view the approach and entrance at my destination, if it's not one I have been to before. (y)

Back to the research.
Back to the Xgody 886 then, with 2019 maps and .tfr files. ;)

Cheers,

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Without wishing to sound cocky, the method I use as posted above, takes us to exactly where we are headed Tony. ;) Using Google Street View, allows me to view the approach and entrance at my destination, if it's not one I have been to before. (y)

Back to the Xgody 886 then, with 2019 maps and .tfr files. ;)

Cheers,

I always use street view Jock, a left over from RV days, when they answer an email enquiry "I have a 12metre long 4 metre high RV do you have any access restrictions" with "no problem we look forward to seeing you". Then street view. "I have seen you have an arch over your entrance can you advise its height" "Sure that is 3.8 metres". "So how do I get under that if I am 4 metres". "Ah, you are that high?"
And so on. Now I dont even bother to ask, go straight to street view.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use Xgody and Copilot together. I always like a second opinion. I have also tried Sygic which seems OK and Navmii which is free with a RV setting. Navmii is much slower at calculating a long route than the others for some reason.
On the whole Xgody seems the best though new maps can be a problem unless you use the Faceache group. It also can use tomtom pois.

Ebby

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Milton Keynes
Funster No
MH
Rapido 787f
Exp
Since June 2004
I’ve been using copilot caravan for quite a few years now and I find it brilliant and easy to use,the only place it’s ever let me down is through Swaffham in Norfolk on the A1065 going north and south.Its been perfect in France but certainly doesn’t like Swaffham.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
But not in Germany, unfortunately.
How long has it been like that Brian, as a few years ago (2014/2015), before I sent the coordinates to others of a suitable a meeting area on the Autobhan Service Area, I viewed it on Google Street View first. :whatthe:
You are right of course, as a quick squint at Nordinglen before posting, was unsuccessful. :(

Cheers,

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
How long has it been like that Brian, as a few years ago (2014/2015), before I sent the coordinates to others of a suitable a meeting area on the Autobhan Service Area, I viewed it on Google Street View first. :whatthe:
You are right of course, as a quick squint at Nordinglen before posting, was unsuccessful. :(

Cheers,

Works for me (y)

Martin

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
How Martin, street view definitely does not work in Deutschland, Das ist Verboten!!

Google earth Pro on MacBook, I have just been in Dusseldorf town centre,

This is the Messe entrance from the motorway,

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 12.16.12.png

Martin

OK just an update, it works in some towns but not out in the sticks,

Last edited:
May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Seems to be working from the UK but with some blanked out bits, possibly residential buildings. Perhaps it would work in Germany if routed through a VPN and a UK server?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back