Bargain Burstner Elegance - Price drastically reduced (1 Viewer)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I always explain brokerage as being like an estate agency with a bit of conveyancing mixed in. A broker simply finds a buyer and 'introduces' them to the vendor, playing the part of the intermediary throughout the sale, handling the money transfer and ensuring the paperwork is completed.
Brokers cannot agree the selling price, they can only pass on the offer to the vendor who then decides to either accept or reject; whereas dealers are selling their own asset and can decide without consultation to accept or reject an offer.
Because the broker is only being paid a commision for finding a buyer, and the vendor isn't selling as part of a business, then there are no consumer rights attributed to the buyer/purchaser. It is pretty much the same as buying privately.

The bit where the broker handles the money transfer is the bit where the private seller is most at risk. Not a risk I would take, personally. This is why solicitors (not the Agent) handle the money on a house sale, because their client is 100% protected financially.

If I was using a broker (including a dealer selling on commission) I would insist that my money is properly protected. There are various ways of doing this but the broker / dealer collecting full payment from the buyer isn't one of them.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Thanks for explaining the brokerage system so clearly Cornish Boy.

Not sure this is necessarily a bad time to sell, this type of van will appeal to the "Snowbirds" who will be thinking of migrating soon.

I sold my Hymer S820 privately in October.

Best of luck with the sale

Andrew

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
The bit where the broker handles the money transfer is the bit where the private seller is most at risk. Not a risk I would take, personally. This is why solicitors (not the Agent) handle the money on a house sale, because their client is 100% protected financially.

If I was using a broker (including a dealer selling on commission) I would insist that my money is properly protected. There are various ways of doing this but the broker / dealer collecting full payment from the buyer isn't one of them.
There is also an added complication if the buyer has a trade in, which the dealer also needs to sell.
You could potentially be waiting ages to get the full payment.

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
The bit where the broker handles the money transfer is the bit where the private seller is most at risk. Not a risk I would take, personally. This is why solicitors (not the Agent) handle the money on a house sale, because their client is 100% protected financially..

The solicitor regulation Authority state they receive on average 43 reports of misappropriated client money each quarter!

Over 90% of boats are brokerage sales and having bought and sold a number of vessels over the years well in excess of motorhome prices, I have no qualms about using them. Of course you need to ensure you are protected, that goes without saying and I will only deal with brokers who openly operate client accounts for exactly this purpose and more importantly, whose bank will verify the fact that they also view the account as a secure client holding account. When selling I also have written into the brokerage contract that cleared funds are transferred into my nominated account on the date of sale transfer.
You can always go down the Escrow route if you want but that will have a cost implication.

Last edited:

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
There is also an added complication if the buyer has a trade in, which the dealer also needs to sell.
You could potentially be waiting ages to get the full payment.

From my experience of brokerage and from talking to an aquaintance who sells (and brokers) top end sports cars. The owner takes the PX as part of the deal and at which point the broker/dealer may (if the vehicle is good enough) buy it off them for a trade price or put it on the forecourt on a new brokerage agreement. Most sellers will want the PX underwritten before doing the deal for understandable reasons.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since Nov 2010 after 25 yrs under canvas.
Nice van but not my cup of tea. I would prefer to stick with my Globecar campscout.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
If you can wait until Saturday morning I will have it ............assuming my lotto numbers come good.

Another idea how about pitching it up somewhere as a holiday home.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Not sure if that is aimed a bit at me but I certainly wasnt being negative about the van, its a real cracker. (y)
No one in particular just a lot of comments saying "it's getting older" " no one buys this time of year " etc etc....im sure the seller is aware of that ....the vans a cracker ...thetes a right buyer out there for it at somepoint...everything always sells in the end

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
No one in particular just a lot of comments saying "it's getting older" " no one buys this time of year " etc etc....im sure the seller is aware of that ....the vans a cracker ...thetes a right buyer out there for it at somepoint...everything always sells in the end
At the right price?

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001

I don't see any negativity expressed unless you consider realism negative.

I think perhaps you're seeing negativity where there is none, for instance where are all the comments saying "it's getting older" because I can't see them.

I also stated that I sold my van at this time of year.

Also the OP stated he wanted it to be sold before the end of September, now I know this could have been because he'd arranged to take it to a dealer, but it does also indicate, that he doesn't want it hanging around forever.

Personally, I would prefer helpful, informative and realistic comments rather than the "I'll buy it if I win the lottery type".

The reality is, it's difficult to sell a high value van privately, and you have to have realistic views in respect of price and timescale.

This is what I think people have been saying, and if that's considered negative so be it.

Andrew

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Ingleby Barwick,,Teesside
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Well thats it!
It has now been delivered to the dealer and the next time you see on t'internet will be on Nick Wales web site.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
Well thats it!
It has now been delivered to the dealer and the next time you see on t'internet will be on Nick Wales web site.

Looks like a very well put together web site.

Notice you've dropped the price a bit, must be sad to see it go.

Good luck with the sale

Andrew

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Not to mention you have now missed the best selling time and folks wont be thinking about motorhomes with Xmas around the corner and when trade picks up your van is going to be a year older:(

From what we have been told that`s not true at all, the best months for selling are from October to December a bit like the sailing world, people buying a new one ready for next season.

John Stanton

Free Member
Jul 11, 2017
Chipping Campden
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 (Heap of crap)
Exp
10 years
Well thats it!

If that's Nick Whale motor homes, that's a heck of a long way from where you are ! But anyway, assuming it's the one near Evesham we've been there many times and can vouch for them being genuinely helpful and better than your usual dealer (we met Paul and Tim).

Good luck with your sale, I suspect it won't take long :)

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
@cornish boy, I said it was a risk and there are ways of properly protecting the money, so we are in basic agreement.

I am not convinced that unregulated MH brokers and dealers who sell on commission should be thought of as on a par either with ship brokers or solicitors. I suspect that many private sellers don't know that when the proceeds of sale of their MH is paid into a general business bank account and mingled with the dealer's own money they have no protection at all against fraud or insolvency.

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
If that's Nick Whale motor homes, that's a heck of a long way from where you are ! But anyway, assuming it's the one near Evesham we've been there many times and can vouch for them being genuinely helpful and better than your usual dealer (we met Paul and Tim).

Good luck with your sale, I suspect it won't take long :)

Yep dealt with both Paul and Tim. The workshop staff seem competent too.

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
That's a fantastic looking van - I don't think it will be many days before you get the call saying 'deal done'.

All the best,

Andrew

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
The solicitor regulation Authority state they receive on average 43 reports of misappropriated client money each quarter!

Which is actually a very tiny number of wrong-doers who each commit a number of offences. The key point is that clients won’t lose a penny because the rest of the profession contributes to a central compensation fund. No other profession offers this level of security to its clients.

Apr 23, 2014
Spain ??
Funster No
MH
Ice cream van
Exp
Since 2011
Sad and sorry to hear your having to sell your pride and joy Mike & Gwen,
it really is a beautiful vehicle, the funsters will miss your company in Morocco,
hoping your able to sell it soon, and wishing you both the very best for the future
Marc & Sam

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Are you not getting another van? Maybe downsizing, you can just as much fun in a PVC.

I do hope you are OK and have a good future. Best of luck.

Jun 18, 2012
Preston
Funster No
MH
Grandad's Camper-CPC
Exp
Since 2012
Maybe downsizing, you can just as much fun in a PVC.

Now that's sound advice

PVC.jpg

OP
OP
makems

makems

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2011
Funster No
MH
Sadly had to give up
Exp
2010-2017
Are you not getting another van? Maybe downsizing, you can just as much fun in a PVC.

I do hope you are OK and have a good future. Best of luck.

We started with a PVC 10 years ago and have had a lot of fun with all our vans.
However we are packing it in for medical reasons.
Anyway, the van is now gone to Nick Whale Motorhomes who are selling it on commission for us.

Jun 22, 2011
Onchan, Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
So sorry to hear that!

I wish You all the best.

We are just starting out on our retirement adventures, hope they will be good for a few years.

I hope all goes well for you.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back