Axe in the motor home UK law? (2 Viewers)

Nemie

Free Member
Sep 11, 2018
Essex/Hearts
Funster No
MH
FORD TRANSIT T350L 2.4 TD
Exp
I am nearing the end of my build, so now I am thinking about kitting out and would like to know is it legal to have an axe in my motor home? I do have a log burner.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Sounds fun, “ allo allo what’s going on ere then sir please remove your chopper “. Would need to take care in case of an accident of course.

Apr 26, 2015
Ottershaw
Funster No
MH
Hymer S820
Exp
First motorhome May 2021
I would think if it was in a tool box yes it would be legal, but if it was easily at hand from the drivers seat i would think not. Perhaps one of the ex or indeed serving police officers that are members will be along shortly to clarify.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
An axe is not an offensive weapon by design but by use , and carrying one going to a dance would be hard to explain , however
carrying one in a motorhome , which has a log burner , should present no real problem wherever located . Mind you waving it out the window due to road rage wouldnt be a clever move :)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
That's an interesting second post.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
If you are also carrying some logs that need splitting can't see a problem.

OP
OP
Nemie

Nemie

Free Member
Sep 11, 2018
Essex/Hearts
Funster No
MH
Exp
I want to hang it on wall near log burner, I have blocked off the drivers area so it would not be something I could grab while in the cab, not that I would anyway.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've carried one for years, but hidden away and never quickly accesible.

OP
OP
Nemie

Nemie

Free Member
Sep 11, 2018
Essex/Hearts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Ok I will hang it inside a cupboard.

Pugsy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 3, 2018
D&G
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I had an old firemans axe and pouch lying behind my drivers seat( in a rimor katamarano)
I had a full search coming of the ferry at Dover ,they asked if i had any guns or weapons ,i said 'no'
They just looked at it and shrugged it off when they saw it.
Mind you they did know i was an ex firefighter!!
As per previous comments,intended use and not waving it around at the window helps them decide it,s part of your van use and hopefully you are not an axe murderer!!!

Cheers Cris:cheers:.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
A few years ago whilst on holiday in the Black Forest, I bought a large axe with a handle about 3ft long, in a house sale, whilst exploring a village. On the way back to the camper, I had to go into the bank to get some cash, I did wonder what anyone would think when they saw me as I had to carry it in two hands, sort of ready for use :eek:, as it was so heavy. Our son had just installed a log burner at home and I thought he would like it, only 3 euros. My husbands face was a picture when I returned to camper with it...and the cash!
We brought it home on the floor of the camper as we had no garage it being a VW T4. We did wrap some cardboard from a beer carton around the axe head but I don’t think that disguised it much!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
No problem carrying an axe, I have one for chopping wood for having a fire if on a beach or on a site with a BBQ pit..
but why do you want a log burner.. ?

I considered one when living in an RV, but decided against.. I let me head rule my heart. Dirty and hard to control the heat output, logs to buy or find and store .. and also a fire risk.. romantic but impractical.

Just my view..

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
No problem carrying an axe, I have one for chopping wood for having a fire if on a beach or on a site with a BBQ pit..
but why do you want a log burner.. ?

I considered one when living in an RV, but decided against.. I let me head rule my heart. Dirty and hard to control the heat output, logs to buy or find and store .. and also a fire risk.. romantic but impractical.

Just my view..

I fully agree Jim but you do seem to see quite lot of lot burners in self builds, I think it's the music festival/hippie type romanticism responsible.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I fully agree Jim but you do seem to see quite lot of lot burners in self builds, I think it's the music festival/hippie type romanticism responsible.
probably..

Some years ago I considered a Russian 6x6 troop carrier truck for self build, can't recall the name, they have an air cooled Diesel engine.. and it had a log burner stove in the back, presumably to keep the cold at bay in the frozen waste of Siberia.. :eek:

I was talked out of it by a more sensible person.. :LOL:

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
Don't really see problem with having a log burner would love to have had one in our van but couldn't find insurance. If you are full timing and are based in the same place for longer periods whats the problem?

I was talked out of it by a more sensible person.. :LOL:

Yes I've one of these close by lol. When we where searching for our first american van in 2009 I really loved a 1996 American Eagle, Would have been superb for full-time living. Think the sensible one could see that id be paying/showing more attention to the Eagle than her so it was a big NO. Still maybe one day. She always says are now van is my second women.

I have a pickaxe handle in the van, incase I break the one I use for digging that hole to put my composting toilet waste in.....

Now I'm of to find a space in our ongoing van conversion for that log burner.

Shawn.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you are full timing and are based in the same place for longer periods whats the problem?

well, first all you can only stay for 28 days on a CL or 21 days on most sites .. (unless you know the owner and they are happy with you staying longer ) and I doubt if many would be happy with the smoke from a wood burner billowing over the site..

however, if you have your own bit of woodland with an abundance of fallen trees to chop up .. I can see the attraction.. I can just picture it.. converted bus, kids running about in rags.. dad chopping up wood.. mum gutting the rabbit caught in the snare.. yip.. go for it ..lol

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I am nearing the end of my build, so now I am thinking about kitting out and would like to know is it legal to have an axe in my motor home? I do have a log burner.
A hatchet would be less offensive. Lighter and cheaper (y)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As some will know, I carry a fairly comprehensive tool kit.. as many others do............
99% of which could be used for burglary or vehicle theft, so it could be said I am 'going equipped'

But I would have to be doing pretty odd to give police a reason to think that is what the tools are for !

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
The way our modern day culture is now it will soon be illegal to carry a feather duster.
I think you already need a good reason to carry one unsheathed in a public place !! :)

Whats my chances , as I carry a chain saw in the RV ?

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
You could always carry a log just too large to go into your wood burner as well as the axe.

Then you have visible proof that you need the axe for peaceful purposes...

Just as some folk carry a baseball along with their baseball bat. After all, you can't claim the bat is only for playing baseball if you don't have a ball!

I don't worry myself about this stuff... being a pacifist I am not going to hit anyone anyway.

If I want someone the clear off I just start singing. (y)

JJ (Superior and Smug) :cool:

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
If you play your axe well I’m sure it will go down well at meets. But you’ll need a decent amp!:D

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I had an old firemans axe and pouch lying behind my drivers seat
Was that in a fire engine

That prompted me to go and see if i could find mine:LOL:
A posh one and a working one:D
Dont know where the leather pouch is:(
Andy

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Bloody amateurs. Any decent Moho has one of these...

hqdefault.jpg

This is mine :)

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
well, first all you can only stay for 28 days on a CL or 21 days on most sites .. (unless you know the owner and they are happy with you staying longer ) and I doubt if many would be happy with the smoke from a wood burner billowing over the site..

however, if you have your own bit of woodland with an abundance of fallen trees to chop up .. I can see the attraction.. I can just picture it.. converted bus, kids running about in rags.. dad chopping up wood.. mum gutting the rabbit caught in the snare.. yip.. go for it ..lol
I know that place, it,s Teepee Village, just up the road from Carmarthen!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back