Axe in the motor home UK law? (1 Viewer)

Mr Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 8, 2016
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
Since 2016, caravans before that, folding Caravan, tents before that
Bloody amateurs. Any decent Moho has one of these...

hqdefault.jpg

This is mine :)

Size isn’t everything:LOL:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I know that place, it,s Teepee Village, just up the road from Carmarthen!
must be the sister site of the one in Woodbridge.. they are "living the dream" ..:rolleyes:

more like living off the state :mad:

May 16, 2014
Ammanford
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Trend
Exp
since May 2014
Where is the one in Woodbridge? We used to live in Ipswich

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
You could always carry a log just too large to go into your wood burner as well as the axe.

Then you have visible proof that you need the axe for peaceful purposes...

Just as some folk carry a baseball along with their baseball bat. After all, you can't claim the bat is only for playing baseball if you don't have a ball!

I don't worry myself about this stuff... being a pacifist I am not going to hit anyone anyway.

If I want someone the clear off I just start singing. (y)

JJ (Superior and Smug) :cool:
I just lost the ball an hour ago officer honest
I was playing with the dog :p

OP
OP
Nemie

Nemie

Free Member
Sep 11, 2018
Essex/Hearts
Funster No
MH
FORD TRANSIT T350L 2.4 TD
Exp
No problem carrying an axe, I have one for chopping wood for having a fire if on a beach or on a site with a BBQ pit..
but why do you want a log burner.. ?

I considered one when living in an RV, but decided against.. I let me head rule my heart. Dirty and hard to control the heat output, logs to buy or find and store .. and also a fire risk.. romantic but impractical.

Just my view..

Hi scot I don't agree with you, used correctly they are clean to use and maintain and control of the heat output is very easy, also cost effective many times free even.

Safety I am confident with them, my installs are carefully planned I have now installed five and two of them on fibreglass boats which are into year three now no problems. I watch youtube videos of van installs that worry me and wonder how they don't catch fire though.

Plus I like them, I sacrificed a lot of space for it but they relax me.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I have carried one in every van I have had never had a problem.
And I don't have a wood burner but we do have camp fires
I am sure someone will be along to tell you your going to hell and damnation for even thinking abut it
Bill

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I carry a half size baseball bat by my drivers seat, I also have some balls. No problem !

D

DL42846

Deleted User
If you carry the axe in the boot of your motor home or somewhere where it is not close to hand you shouldn't have a problem. If you carry it beside the drivers seat then yes you might have a problem. I used to do a lot of scuba diving and carry a large diving knife. I used to carry it in the boot of my car along with the rest of my diving gear. The knife was always in a sheath. I was stopped a couple of times by the police for routine checks. I pointed out the knife. never had a problem.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I carry a half size baseball bat by my drivers seat, I also have some balls. No problem !

Yes, - problem.

An offensive weapon is defined as any article manufactured, adapted or intended to cause injury.

If the police decided that having a bat right next to the driver's door or within easy reach of the driver (regardless of the balls) meant that you intended to use it as a weapon then you could get charged. The CPS would then have to decide whether to take it to court and then the magistrates would need to be convinced.

Either way you would spend some time in the custody suite at least.

Anything remotely considered to be a weapon should be kept in the boot and you should have a genuine reason to have them in your possession.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nemie

Nemie

Free Member
Sep 11, 2018
Essex/Hearts
Funster No
MH
Exp
I just spoke to the police, the fact I have a log burner was a good reason for the axe, they requested a lock box in case someone broke in to the van and police arrive or myself or any members of public, to prevent having to confront someone now holding offensive weapon.

I accept the reasoning and will do what has been suggested.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
Anything remotely considered to be a weapon should be kept in the boot and you should have a genuine reason to have them in your possession.

So I am to lock the 'stoplock' steering lock somewhere in the back along with the chain I use both for securing front doors & as an attachment for the dog when he is outside + the fire extinguisher , the trolley jack pump handle , all of which are within hands reach , somewhere down the back ? I don't think so.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I used to carry an Axe everywhere in the 70's

Usually a six string as the twelve string rarely got played...……….

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I am nearing the end of my build, so now I am thinking about kitting out and would like to know is it legal to have an axe in my motor home? I do have a log burner.

OK so you run amok, you run down the street hacking with your axe, how many do you kill ?

OK so you run amok, you drive into a crowded street in your MH on full throttle, how many do you kill ?

Just to put the risk of the axe into perspective.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
So I am to lock the 'stoplock' steering lock somewhere in the back along with the chain I use both for securing front doors & as an attachment for the dog when he is outside + the fire extinguisher , the trolley jack pump handle , all of which are within hands reach , somewhere down the back ? I don't think so.
You are taking things too far!

OP
OP
Nemie

Nemie

Free Member
Sep 11, 2018
Essex/Hearts
Funster No
MH
Exp
This thread seems to be going ott and moving away from the legality of the original question, so far it seems from a policeman's perspective a suggestion was offered and even though I accept the logic I don't necessarily regard it as UK law, once registered as a motor-home I would assume that the law would be the same as a house, in this case.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This thread seems to be going ott and moving away from the legality of the original question,
yip.. but that's the way of Fun.. keeps the old codgers brains ticking over (y)

Just waiting for Godwins law to be proven.. :LOL:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I don’t think it matters to be honest. I have carving knives filleting knives, a rolling pin, Cast iron pans, bleach, fire extinguishers, all I guess could be dangerous, I would imagine it’s the intent.

Not that the Police matter any more, too busy cautioning people for transgender “deadnaming” and investigating “serious homophobic issues” within their own ranks “Sarge, Sarge, He called me Gay!”

I personally think there will be a huge vigilanty backlash, don’t know when, but there will be.

Years ago, and I mean years, before the time of some of the older members, people carried arms, and took steps to protect themselves, and their homes.

The various guilds would employ guards to protect their members, as would the richer folk, eventually to avoid a long post, the concept.

Sir Robert Peel came along and Did some amazing things, one of which was to hire a thousand men, salaried, uniformed working to a set of rules, and the Metropolitan Police Force was founded. As we know the concept was rolled out across other Cities and Towns, eventually the whole Country.

The deal was, give up your arms, we will protect you, the unwritten tripartite covenant between, the State, The Police and the People: the state make the laws to protect everyone, the Police enforce those laws, the People obey those laws.

The trouble is the State doesn’t provide funds, The Police don’t use the funds they do get wisely, and the Public don’t get the protection they should so have started to arm themselves, as they see it, for their own protection.

Add a strong dose of ethic diversity, where gun and knife culture is different, and add a sprinkle of affected clever young things who are offended about everything, and a dash of vacuous celebrities who’s opinion is taken far too seriously by far too many people thanks to Social Media and you have, for Society, a definite “best before” date.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
I don’t think it matters to be honest. I have carving knives filleting knives, a rolling pin, Cast iron pans, bleach, fire extinguishers, all I guess could be dangerous, I would imagine it’s the intent.

Not that the Police matter any more, too busy cautioning people for transgender “deadnaming” and investigating “serious homophobic issues” within their own ranks “Sarge, Sarge, He called me Gay!”

I personally think there will be a huge vigilanty backlash, don’t know when, but there will be.

Years ago, and I mean years, before the time of some of the older members, people carried arms, and took steps to protect themselves, and their homes.

The various guilds would employ guards to protect their members, as would the richer folk, eventually to avoid a long post, the concept.

Sir Robert Peel came along and Did some amazing things, one of which was to hire a thousand men, salaried, uniformed working to a set of rules, and the Metropolitan Police Force was founded. As we know the concept was rolled out across other Cities and Towns, eventually the whole Country.

The deal was, give up your arms, we will protect you, the unwritten tripartite covenant between, the State, The Police and the People: the state make the laws to protect everyone, the Police enforce those laws, the People obey those laws.

The trouble is the State doesn’t provide funds, The Police don’t use the funds they do get wisely, and the Public don’t get the protection they should so have started to arm themselves, as they see it, for their own protection.

Add a strong dose of ethic diversity, where gun and knife culture is different, and add a sprinkle of affected clever young things who are offended about everything, and a dash of vacuous celebrities who’s opinion is taken far too seriously by far too many people thanks to Social Media and you have, for Society, a definite “best before” date.
I've been saying it for years, Surprised it hasn't happened yet.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

yes, would also predict this is going to happen..

did you see the Ch4 dispatches last night.. Lawless Britain, Where Are the Police. more or less says the same..

Broken Link Removed

Nik

Oct 29, 2014
Cornish exile in Surrey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
1 year
No Problem having the axe. You can claim Lawful authority/Reasonable excuse for its possession as long as your intent in possessing it does not change from the use it's designed for, i.e. chopping wood. If you change that intent by uttering those famous words 'I have it for my protection' then you would be in the back of the station van in no time.
regards
Nik

Hilewaychile

Free Member
Oct 10, 2017
Very variable. UK and Spain are the loci
Funster No
MH
DIY Vaux Movano
Exp
10 years, on and off.
I suppose it depends on how it's stored and the attitude of the man or woman in blue.

My policeman pal scoped the interior of a friend's micro-camper [Renault Kangoo]. Lying about inside was what looked like a baseball bat.

"That's a pull. Offensive weapon".
"Bob," says I, "She'd be on her own and anyway, it might look like a baseball bat but it is actually a giant pepper grinder" [for so indeed it was]
"Still a pull. Offensive weapon."

I think the axe would be fine if stored in a cupboard, strapped in - not just loafing about.

I shall ask the Bob and see what he says.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
I think a motorhome in the wrong hands would be a more lethal weapon than and axe:whistle:

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
.. I can see the attraction.. I can just picture it.. converted bus, kids running about in rags.. dad chopping up wood.. mum gutting the rabbit caught in the snare.. yip.. go for it ..lol
Just go to the rec park at Nuneaton Shifty has posted about and you can see all that :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back