LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Serious question, as I am fully aware that adblue is basically only pigs pee. How much adblue does an engine actually use? I bought a transit with adblue this summer and have still not had to top up. The garage say, just top up when the message pops up on the screen. The handbook mentions adblue, but not how much it uses

Still seems wrong spraying pee into a hot exhaust

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Hi, there was a thread about this just before Christmas that has some of the answers that you are looking for maybe? Similar base unit to ontheroadagain, I get about 4500 miles between top ups in my ‘van or approx 450 miles per litre. Low but could be down to the driving style or heavy weight of my ‘van. Peugeot Garage who do my service suggest it should be nearer 600m/l for a typical box van.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/adblue-question.232404/

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
The C Class MB that I had a few years ago never needed topping up between services, used to do about 12000 miles a year

Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2018
My transit uses 10lt for around 4.5k miles

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Serious question, as I am fully aware that adblue is basically only pigs pee. How much adblue does an engine actually use? I bought a transit with adblue this summer and have still not had to top up. The garage say, just top up when the message pops up on the screen. The handbook mentions adblue, but not how much it uses

if it is easy to get to top up once a week/month depending on your mileage some LGV's are done daily

OP
OP
TheBig1

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
so roughly 450-500 miles per litre

Thankyou all for your help

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.

It’s not pigs pee,it’s a man made variation,,,as for use, just top it up when you think of it,just remember to rinse off the residue ( or scrape it off when it dries),, you’ll find you won’t use very much at all.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My 2015 Merc motorhome had AdBlue but it also had an AdBlue gauge available on the computer display. I can’t understand why most manufacturers seem to think that a warning light is sufficient, it probably means people will carry around spare AdBlue just in case the light comes on. I just checked the gauge about once a month and put 10l in when it was a bit below half full. Never saw the warning light. It did consume a bit more than I expected when towing the car behind.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock

It’s a synthesised fluid not actually made from pigs pee (or any other animals) the range of the ad blue in a be transporter is between 5-6 thousand miles I just top mine up every 2-3 thousand.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Our car has a range for adblue on the display and a warning that starts at about 1500 miles. If we had just the warning light with that amount before empty I wouldn't bother carrying a container all the time even without the gauge. I'm sure the handbook will say what the expected range is once the warning is given I bet it's a fair bit.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
It’s a synthesised fluid not actually made from pigs pee (or any other animals) the range of the ad blue in a be transporter is between 5-6 thousand miles I just top mine up every 2-3 thousand.

So you don't really need to carry an emergency pig. Bacon butty time ...

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
As earlier post - it's man made pi$$ but I'm sure women's would work just the same 😂😂
ladies wee would probably work as the male species are full off cr@p .....................................
1612605163663.png

You boys asked for that
1612605226391.png

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
So you don't really need to carry an emergency pig. Bacon butty time ...
Exactly and as I’m a vegetarian no harm is done to pigs 🐖 and maybe it’s a cheese and marmite sarnie 👍

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
if it is easy to get to top up once a week/month depending on your mileage some LGV's are done daily
Hgv works hard yet most manufacturers reccomend you top up when gauge says quarter of tank ,I wait until the light comes on because if you keep topping up the management system thinks your not using Adblu and can derate the engine .

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Hgv works hard yet most manufacturers reccomend you top up when gauge says quarter of tank ,I wait until the light comes on because if you keep topping up the management system thinks your not using Adblu and can derate the engine .
that's an interesting phase 'derate an engine' if you don't mind I will steal it and use it and see how many blank looks I get as most of the drivers that I deal cannot even explain what an additive is
This could be as entertaining as exam invigilators playing playing human oxo or similar as they walk around the classroom :rofl:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I thought that if you run out it puts it in to limp mode now ? Didn't use to 6 or 7 years back

Mar 28, 2017
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Yes limp mode is correct or as we call it de-rate the engine to protect but the intelligent engine management system monitors injection and use of Adblu therefore can think by constant top up believes Adblu is not being used.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Yes limp mode is correct or as we call it de-rate the engine to protect but the intelligent engine management system monitors injection and use of Adblu therefore can think by constant top up believes Adblu is not being used.
I thought it was only limp mode until you stop then it will not restart.

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
This has got me thinking .. had to top up my new Octavia's AdBlu at about 5k miles, but it's now got to 19k and I haven't had to do it since then. Either the dealer's done it when it's had its warranty services, or summat's afoot.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Just seen this from Aldi: Broken Link Removed
Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.