Adblue Question (1 Viewer)

Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Heading out today in the Van, and the Adblue warning light came on dash with Low level, top up scrolling round for a short time, and then left orange warning light on.
So, not knowing how much had been put in when picking the vehicle up when new, I now need to top it up.
This may seem like a very basic question, but, is all Adblue the same? ie, do different manufacturers have their own specific requirements?
it’s just looking on ebay, there seems a massive range in prices, depending on which manufacturer it is being recommended for.
I have seen some at Screwfix at £7.99 for 5 litres by Redex, and being familiar with the Redex name, feel happy to get this.
But just thought I better ask the question before putting any in, as have never had a vehicle previously that requires Adblue.
many thanks.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
From new it would have been filled at factory and its my understanding a tank should last a couple of thousand miles.
Maybe a faulty level sensor.

Aug 17, 2011
North East
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T7057
Exp
since 2011
Our light came on at 1300 miles. We did an urial fill of 4 litres but the light came back on around 200 miles further. We didn’t realise that you need to leave the ignition on when filling so this time we went to a pump and filled it there. It took 9 litres. Haven’t driven much further so don’t know if it’s sorted or if it’s faulty yet. I think in future I will try to use the pumps rather than bottles it’s a little easier than bottles, you can fill what you need and it seems to work out cheaper!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Toby28

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
Pembrokeshire. Wales
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
whatever you do don't get this stuff on your clothes. Make sure you clean up any spillages and if you carry some in your van make sure it's secure. If you spill it without wiping it up it crystallises and they keep growing. Smells awful too.

C33JAY

Free Member
Dec 13, 2019
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
2 x years Travelling in Europe in our VW T6
Would appear that I have done well then, as light came on at 3500 miles👍
On my previous VW T6 I used to do around 4 - 4.5k miles on a tank of Ad blue, in the VW book it states approx 5k to a tank but it depends on how you drive I believe just like Fuel, I used to get the 1st warning at 1000 miles remaining from memory and then it counted down.

I used too use any brand of Ad blue as long as it had the correct spec written on the container e.g ISO 22241.

Im not a mechanic this is just what I do :smiley:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Pull in to an hgv pumps at garage and there will be an ad blue pump, your only have to buy what you exactly need and no need to keep what is left

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
My car (Peugeot 3008) has got a 19 litre tank and is good for 12,500 miles.

Our new van (Ducato 2.3L 140bhp) apparently does far less than that. With owners giving various ranges, I’ve got 20 litres in my shed, just over £12 from Bearmach.

I also purchased a T Max tyre compressor so got free delivery. (y)

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
When looking on the Fiat Professional website, it states always top up with a minimum of 5 litres. What relevance is that?
I had a top up bottle in the Van which held 1.89 litres, so that’s what I put in.
3B2AE7CC-ED3D-471C-8EDF-ECE6ED327584.jpeg

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
I used too use any brand of Ad blue as long as it had the correct spec written on the container e.g ISO 22241.
That, in a nutshell, is all you need to worry about. I get about 3500 miles per fill, but the filler is under the bonnet and.... yes you need to be a contortionist to fill it. Have tried the special screw in leak free hose to fill it and it leaks every time, so have jury rigged a filling tube now. Pain in the arse.....

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
1000 litres bulk is about 27p a litre+vat
Gives you an idea of mark up/packaging/ transport/retail on a 5litre bottle at £8

And ad blue is all the same whether made by Aldi or the Rothchilds mining company.......and it never goes anywhere near your engine

Feb 5, 2020
Crosby
Funster No
MH
Smileo 202
Exp
Was a Newbie but getting the hang of it now.
whatever you do don't get this stuff on your clothes. Make sure you clean up any spillages and if you carry some in your van make sure it's secure. If you spill it without wiping it up it crystallises and they keep growing. Smells awful too.
And what did you expect pig Pee to smell of ?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It’s is urea

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
My VW Caddy is supposed to do 5k miles on a full Adblue tank. However i topped up after the van did 3.5 so wouldn't know. The van is almost 4 years old now and only done 9400 miles.
The MoHo diesel does not need adblue.

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
I only did 1800 miles before the AdBlue warning light came on my ducato 2.3 180bhp they definitely don't fill them in the factory may be it should be as part of your PDI this is from Fiat

OP
OP
Nigel L
Apr 25, 2016
Soham, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Exp
Since 2016
Yes, have read that, and on point 3, why does it say that you should top up with at least 5 litres?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
My VW Caddy is supposed to do 5k miles on a full Adblue tank. However i topped up after the van did 3.5 so wouldn't know. The van is almost 4 years old now and only done 9400 miles.
The MoHo diesel does not need adblue.
Have found in our transporters it varies depending on how it is driven and guess it’s down to mpg sometimes we get an indicated 5000 but the. It goes up to 5500 and sometimes when the adblue is added it shows 6000 or 5500 miles. So I guess it’s how you drive and the conditions you drive in, which is no different to how fuel consumption varies.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
Ours was 3500 topped up then got got to 7300 and light came on again.
Peugeot 2.0ltr 160bhp.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
My last motorhome on a Mercedes chassis had an AdBlue gauge, just had to page through the information to get to it. I put in 10l whenever it was below half, never had any warnings. I think it is pathetic that many manufacturers do not think an AdBlue gauge is essential.

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
Heading out today in the Van, and the Adblue warning light came on dash with Low level, top up scrolling round for a short time, and then left orange warning light on.
So, not knowing how much had been put in when picking the vehicle up when new, I now need to top it up.
This may seem like a very basic question, but, is all Adblue the same? ie, do different manufacturers have their own specific requirements?
it’s just looking on ebay, there seems a massive range in prices, depending on which manufacturer it is being recommended for.
I have seen some at Screwfix at £7.99 for 5 litres by Redex, and being familiar with the Redex name, feel happy to get this.
But just thought I better ask the question before putting any in, as have never had a vehicle previously that requires Adblue.
many thanks.
I got 10L for £10 in an Asda petrol station in Scotland when we were up there... I"m sure most forecourts have it and it's regularly on offer.. The 2016 Boxer we have takes 15L

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
My warning light came on at 5,000 miles, the handbook says when it comes on you have 1,200 miles to top it up. I struggled with a 10 litre container, it was spilling all over the place, much easier at a pump in a filling station.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Quick point when you fill it up it may take 10 miles or so of travel before the indicator showed it was full again. Full adblue tank will give me 3500 miles

Apr 30, 2020
Hartpury, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 796
Exp
Yes, have read that, and on point 3, why does it say that you should top up with at least 5 litres?
Nigel L This is down to the minimum reset volume for the countdown. There is a float in the tank that needs to be at a minimum level to reset the countdown. If the level gets too low, emissions would rise above EURO6 prescribed levels and hence the reason that adblue using vehicles will immobilise once the countdown hits zero.

Nov 5, 2011
Gironde, France
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
5 years
many thanks.
Hi our Westfalia Jules Verne on a Mercedes Vito chassis uses it. When the Adblu light came on I took it to our Mercedes garage-they used their machine topped up in a few seconds & there was no charge. Less happily our village has installed a slow-down chicane that I clonked with tyre that was flat by the time I got home-no spare! Luckily a mate had an aerosol leak reparer, drove slowly to tyre place & had 2 new front tyres fitted. Bought ResQ kit that I now carry with me. Happy Sunday

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
AdBlue is all the same, It all has to meet the same standard. Our Ford has a 20 litre tank. I bought 80 litres of Mannol (German) from Ebay for about £59 with a 10% discount coupon - PERCENTOFF... just under £15 for 20 litres.

After 3200 miles I've had to refill.

For those who drive a Peugeot, have a chat with your local dealer as they offer a drive in fill up service for about a tenner (I think?)

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ad Blue is Ad Blue. When you fill up, and this might sound obvious, but fill up 100%. If ad blue level gets too low, on some engines, the vehicle will refuse to start after turning off unless Ad Blue restored to 100%. If you dip below the ‘critical’ level whilst driving there is every possibility the engine will go into limp mode until you get to a garage.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back