My last bike was an Aerial Square Four…… . (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Ok, so what was your last (or current motorbike) & would you have another one if you could afford it?

My last Bike was a Suzuki 1000GS & I loved it, but after many years as a paramedic, I wouldn't have or get back onto another bike.
I still totally get the freedom of it, but in the space of 9yrs we've lost 3 very close friends to collisions which were in no way attributed to the riders & that leaves a nasty taste in your mouth.

Ride safe & free folks.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I rode large BMWs for 20+ years and toured all over the UK and Europe before a worried wife led to their declining use and final sale. I don't think biking ever leaves your blood, and now I pootle around on a Honda 125 step thru' which I can tow around behind the MH and then explore around at 150 mpg instead of 27mpg and parking charges. I honestly have as much enjoyment out of the 125 as I did from the 1000 cc monsters I used to ride and the 125 probably suits my age and mobility much more than the big ones and I certainly wouldn't go back to one. If you haven't ridden a motorbike for some time I would consider going on a rider training scheme and start off on a smaller bike before jumping in on a large bike with no recent experience. Road conditions and mad motorists are considerably different from Square 4 days - take care out there, it's mayhem!

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I have just sold the second of two 750 Guzzis.
To me they are the perfect weight,handling great,reasonably economical,yes reliable bike for shall we say the older gentleman.I am older than you,just.
I have some other bikes but my current favoured ridr is a Kawasakivulcan650s,not my usual style but low height which suits my wife and some surprise grunt as has a Ninja Motor.Different but fun.
Whatever you do enjoy.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
My neighbour Andy, who I have known for almost forty years, is motorbike mad, trackdays bike, touring bikes and off-road bikes, often having four different ones, he had a bad smash about four years ago in Holland when a car in front braked sharply to turn with no indication and he ran into the back of it, retired from work after shoulder pinning took a long time to heal.
His best mate was killed a month ago and it’s shook him up quite a bit, Andy came in for so much grief from his wife and three sons to get rid of the bikes he has conceded, there sold. He now still has his 4x4 off road truck which he uses regularly, and proper off road stuff, and off-road cycling still goes on. Luckily motorbikes was never one of my things.

OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
Squarial! nice one! (y)
Worst bike I've ever owned. Bought it as a total re build but it had been done badly, very badly.
First long trip, I managed to shear half of the rear spokes.
A couple of months later, one of the 2 rear pots seized.
After repairing it a few months later the main bearing shells fell apart.
But a nice bike when it DID go.
Eventually sold it as a box of bits.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Ah, Aerial Square Four.

I was working in Katmandu for 2 weeks in the '70s. A friend was running the Gurkha Rehabilitation Scheme and his nepew had ridden one out from UK and left it. He offered it to me, but I had an interview scheduled and had to fly back - got the job.

Should I have shipped it back? What are they worth now?

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
My father bought a pile of bits and a frame that was apparently a Square Four. It sat in the corner of his garage since the sixties but he never did anything with it.
I can only assume he sold it when I was stationed abroad because it had gone when I settled back in the UK in the eighties.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
A Guzzi V7 , so you like fiddling with dodgy Italian electrics?
As a teenager I had a poster of said model on my bedroom wall next to a poster of Debbie Harry, lol.
they re a lot better these days. I've got a 1200 Griso and apart from the Cam issue its a fantastic bike. Showa suspension, modern brembo brakes, good switchgear etc. Its a Guzzi so of course it has its foibles but it really is not the same as the 80s ones.

OP
OP
Mixyblob
Jun 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30+ years
I rode large BMWs for 20+ years and toured all over the UK and Europe before a worried wife led to their declining use and final sale. I don't think biking ever leaves your blood, and now I pootle around on a Honda 125 step thru' which I can tow around behind the MH and then explore around at 150 mpg instead of 27mpg and parking charges. I honestly have as much enjoyment out of the 125 as I did from the 1000 cc monsters I used to ride and the 125 probably suits my age and mobility much more than the big ones and I certainly wouldn't go back to one. If you haven't ridden a motorbike for some time I would consider going on a rider training scheme and start off on a smaller bike before jumping in on a large bike with no recent experience. Road conditions and mad motorists are considerably different from Square 4 days - take care out there, it's mayhem!
Thanks for the advice.
I'm fully aware that road conditions and mad motorists (I am one) are considerably different from when I last rode a motor bike.
I cycle regularly on the roads, so I'm fully aware of the dangers and vuneability of using two wheels and after reading some recent threads on this forum, I ask myself if I should ever venture out again on 2 wheels, powered or otherwise.
Never the less, I'm still concidering it and the suggestion of taking some training beforehand, is top of my list of things to do, thankyou👍.

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
Lovely machines the square fours but proned to over heating. Friend of mine fitted an oil cooler to his which helped. Been riding bikes for 51 years and been quite lucky with only a couple of minor incidents. Yes there is far more traffic on the roads today and apparently motorcycle accidents out number car accidents by 20-1. It hasn’t put me off but I am much more cautious than I used to be. If you do go for it I would recommend you try manoeuvring the bike by hand before committing as that’s the hardest thing about bikes when you get older.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Roads and drivers have changed a lot in 50 years.
I watched a car driver spend 15 minutes reversing into a parking space in Sainsbury's carpark.
Would you want to meet that on the open road?
I had a Nissan x trail under the motobility scheme in my wife’s name, I was the driver and as well as front and back sensors and all round cameras I hated parking it, beeping like mad and couldn’t judge it easily. After my wife passed away it had to go back and I bought a car for the first time in fifteen years, I got a dodge nitro 4x4 2.8 diesel, it only has rear sensors which don’t work. Using my exterior mirrors and internal rear view mirror I can park it anywhere with any racket from sensors.
I passed my PSV license on a double decker bus in the early seventies, I had to reverse that around a corner never having the rear wheel more than a foot from the curb. I don’t think reversing seems to be taught anymore.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
Does your age make you too old to ride a powerful bike? Probably yes since you have not been on a performance bike for years.
I was astonished when I got back to bikes in my mid 40's just how fast modern bikes go. The love affair was rekindled and i progressed to senior instructor with IAM. Until my late 50's when someone S**** pulled out on me. Was either the car or a granite wall and thank god for antilock brakes, the flight was good but not the landing, i only broke a vertebra. Mid 70's now and still suffer with back pain.
So do you feel lucky? I did until that incident!

Oct 24, 2020
Funster No
MH
VW
Exp
Since 2017
Got to love a Guzzi. Guzzis get under your skin like no other marque, but beware it’s well known that you’ll soon buy another to go with it. It’s what happens.

5D312201-124C-4C04-8F7D-0CCF7A58B01C.jpeg

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
when I was in my early 20's.
Now, at the ripe old (but reasonably fit) age of 71, I'm concidering buying a Moto Guzzi V7.
Am I a bloody idiot with a death wish (as some family members think) or should I go for it?
Absolutely not a bloody idiot and your choice of bike shows you know what you’re talking about. Get your money spent and enjoy it.
I’ve just bought an R1250GS that I clearly don’t need but thoroughly enjoy when I get out on it.

Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
The first time I did a ton was on an Aerial square 4 with a sidecar I was 16 heading towards Essex on the south side of the Dartford tunnel (there was only one then)

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
Worst bike I've ever owned. Bought it as a total re build but it had been done badly, very badly.
First long trip, I managed to shear half of the rear spokes.
A couple of months later, one of the 2 rear pots seized.
After repairing it a few months later the main bearing shells fell apart.
But a nice bike when it DID go.
Eventually sold it as a box of bits.
I once made a new head gasket for my mate's Squarial out of solid copper. It didn't blow any more head gaskets but the rear pots still overheated!

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
My reaction time is much slower at 70 than it was at 17...I think, if I could hold up a big bike, pull it on to the main stand...and ride it, I would most likely die in a day or so...that's why I only ride a Scooter now...300cc one though.. :giggle: :cool: :rofl:

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
when I was in my early 20's.
Now, at the ripe old (but reasonably fit) age of 71, I'm concidering buying a Moto Guzzi V7.
Am I a bloody idiot with a death wish (as some family members think) or should I go for it?
I have had several BMWs, Yamaha, Aerial, Triumph, BSA, MZ, Panther, Velocette (hand clutch and hand gear change) plus a few home made hybrids such as Aerial with JAP engine etc.
To answer your original question.
Do you feel confident? So why are asking for reassurance.
Do you feel confident in all the other 'Tossers' riding/driving around?

If you can answer 'Yes' to both questions, then go for it.

I personally stopped riding on the road at 73.

Geoff

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back