My last bike was an Aerial Square Four…… . (1 Viewer)

Jan 3, 2015
British West Hartlepool
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 884
Exp
Since 2017
One of mine...

Z1.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
76 years old this month, still riding regularly, part of a Classic Motorcycle Club, and just bought another bike last Saturday.

Our Club which consists mainly of gentlemen of “a certain age”, oldest member still riding is 86 yes old, is known as “Hell’s Anginas” to some.

My two present bikes.

A4500B72-71CB-44D0-8F4D-8733FBC2284B.jpeg

B3F99BFD-7315-40F8-AF5F-190FE29CD553.jpeg

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
76 years old this month, still riding regularly, part of a Classic Motorcycle Club, and just bought another bike last Saturday.

Our Club which consists mainly of gentlemen of “a certain age”, oldest member still riding is 86 yes old, is known as “Hell’s Anginas” to some.

I'm 77 and my biker chums are of around similar age and that of our bikes and for maybe 20 years have also been known as 'Hell's Anginas' as in my post #45 ...........
Me and my Hell's Anginas chums on a Sunday Brunch Run - average age 70.

View attachment 656678

Last edited:

Deleted User
when I was in my early 20's.
Now, at the ripe old (but reasonably fit) age of 71, I'm concidering buying a Moto Guzzi V7.
Am I a bloody idiot with a death wish (as some family members think) or should I go for it?
I had a 1939 Squariel with cast iron block. no problems with rear cylinders overheatin. That started when the "improved" aluminium block was fitted.
Suggest you join local bike section on IAM and do their advanced skills course to prepare you for modern riding challenges.
Otherwise go for it. Look at Honda Deauville V twin as well, mega reliable and mega comfortable with weather protection, plus great handling and brakes.

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
Square 4 a great design had a 1939 with cast iron cylinders, girder forks and rigid rear when I was 16 in 1958. Overheating only started when cast iron was replaced by aluminium block.
Get a bike, but suggest smaller lighter one, same or better performance than you remember.
Do the IAM advanced rider course BEFORE you take to the roads alone.
Enjoy.
Finally gave up bikes and sailing when I had a triple by pass in 2016.
You only live once, and quality beats longevity!!
Just been reading back through this thread and read your post, actually it wasn't the change over from Cast Iron to Aluminium that caused the problems, Aluminium actually dissipates heat better than Cast Iron, Ariels decision to save cost and reduce the size of the cooling fins attributed to the overheating problem, this was of course on the 500cc engine.
The problems carried on into the bigger engines until Val Page was given the job to sort the problems out, this he did by re-designing the engine, introducing an airport between the front cylinders and increasing the cooling fins on the head.
By the 1950's the engine was now 1000cc and the overheating problems re-emerged, so the MK11 square four was treated to 4 exhaust ports fitted to the head by an exhaust manifold, cylinder barrels were separated and a re-designed cylinder head solving once and for all the over heating problems.
Incidentally the Healey brothers fitted a revised Square Four engine into an Egli Frame in the 1970's "The Healey 1000/4, they built less than 30 of these machines due to lack of parts, a great shame as it was a fantastic machine.
This bike sold by Bonhams in 2013 for £29.000

healey 1000:4.jpeg

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Just been reading back through this thread and read your post, actually it wasn't the change over from Cast Iron to Aluminium that caused the problems, Aluminium actually dissipates heat better than Cast Iron, Ariels decision to save cost and reduce the size of the cooling fins attributed to the overheating problem, this was of course on the 500cc engine.
The problems carried on into the bigger engines until Val Page was given the job to sort the problems out, this he did by re-designing the engine, introducing an airport between the front cylinders and increasing the cooling fins on the head.
By the 1950's the engine was now 1000cc and the overheating problems re-emerged, so the MK11 square four was treated to 4 exhaust ports fitted to the head by an exhaust manifold, cylinder barrels were separated and a re-designed cylinder head solving once and for all the over heating problems.
Incidentally the Healey brothers fitted a revised Square Four engine into an Egli Frame in the 1970's "The Healey 1000/4, they built less than 30 of these machines due to lack of parts, a great shame as it was a fantastic machine.
This bike sold by Bonhams in 2013 for £29.000

View attachment 714161
I'm pretty sure they ve got one of these at national motorcycle museum.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I'm 77 and my biker chums are of around similar age and that of our bikes and for maybe 20 years have also been known as 'Hell's Anginas' as in my post #45 ...........
Oh, dear, and we thought it was original!:eek:

Still, it’s good to see that we are not leaving all the fun to the youngsters.😎🏍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back