Mercedes Vario 814 Build - Our New Fulltime Home (1 Viewer)

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
Two tone top and bottom?!

I agree light for traveling south

Dark for traveling north!

I like dark blue....

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Don't joke - my second choice after red. Quite like white vans with a few nice graphics, it's what we have now.
If you plan on doing any travelling abroad a light colour would better at reflecting heat.
If you still go for a red it will need a protective clear coat or it will probably fade and look awful after a few years.
Definitely a consideration Lenny. We will be going abroad more often than not now as not been able to for the past 15 years. I"ll be adding a lot of insulation into the van anyway, plus likely keep the roof white whatever (better for solar).

Still like the idea of a red (now on either Mercedes Broken Link Removed or Broken Link Removed), but whatever colour we choose the van is going to bare metal, then epoxy primer, then 2k paint and clearcoat.

Jul 7, 2021
Funster No
MH
dont own one yet.
Annoyingly, I think the colour is going to have to change.

Painting something the size of the Vario in a candy paint like the Mazda Soul Red will be really difficult and probably beyond my capabilities. It's a 3 part paint that needs to be consistent with each layer (taken advice now). I think even a good paint shop would struggle on this size of vehicle.

Also, in the back of my mind, I'm wondering if Soul Red will date quickly. It was only 2 years ago that Nardo Grey was the colour. Now, not really. Maybe a more classic colour that stands the test of time would be a better idea?

So, I need to decide on a colour again and open to suggestions?

Doesn't need to be in red, just something we like and suits the van. A nice simple metallic would probably be best. All of the outside accessories (awning, service doors, windows, etc) are in black (already ordered) so will go with most things.

Any ideas?

So far the best we have is Mercedes Mars Red.
Anthracite grey metallic is the best colour in the world!😇😎

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I like this Malibu PVC colour
image.jpg

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
I wonder how much difference there would be between a white or coloured van in the sun, with 50mm PIR insulation all around and 2 x MaxxFan's?

Without the insulation it would be a huge difference, but 50mm of PIR is a lot :unsure:

Nato green
I got that :LOL:

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Right, I've ordered a small amount of Mercedes 3636, which is this colour:

Merc3636.jpg

I've seen a Vario in this colour and it really suits the vehicle. It's also a pastel, so will be easy to get onto the van

The plan is, I have a window cutout kicking around from the sprinter (which is white) which I'll cut in half and spray one half in the red.

I'll insulate 2 x boxes, throw a Ruuvi tag in each (Bluetooth temp sensors) and attach one half of the window cutout to each box. Then face them to the sun and monitor over a few days. I'll cut small holes to simulate airflow in a van.

If the colour makes a big difference, then it will have to be white. If the insulation holds up well, and we like the colour sample, then red it is.

Sounds a faff, but I'd prefer to know for sure before painting.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
The red looks like a postal van. Two tone looks like a library bus. Yellow is nice. Mind you I always fancied orange

Cary
Agree, I like orange, the problem is that a flat orange will make it look like an ex council van in lots of countries. Imo as you re having to spray it anyway you might as well spray it some unique colour/ combo, if you do it white it just looks like you did a standard van. If you like the Mazda red Wissel would it help to do the bottom half in that and the top half in a white?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back