Mercedes Vario 814 Build - Our New Fulltime Home (2 Viewers)

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
What paint are you using I've got a carbon road bike to paint and Mazda soul looks ace!

As to spray booth how about 4' cube of plywood toughened glass window and welders gloves / gaiters for hands?!!
As far as the paint goes, probably this:

Great idea on the booth - hadn't thought about building one (y)

I'll have a float around YouTube to see what's involved once I have a bit more energy.

Nov 19, 2017
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta
Exp
Since 1989
Mate, take it easy on yourself. Life is short enough without you making it any shorter, and i have the tshirt.

Anyway, for selfish reasons, I really enjoy your thread and look forward to much more. Be kind and forgiving to yourself, let people wait for great work you are doing.

All the best, Mac

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Sand blasting of wheels is very cheap, especially if your not in a hurry, and they also know the best processes. I paid £60 or £80 for a set (5) of big Land Rover wheels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
On a slight tangent, anyone know anything about sand-blasting?

The wheels for a Vario are extortionate. I think even sending them off to be blasted would be fairly pricey (7 wheels), so figured I may as well just buy a cabinet and do it myself as I already have a large compressor.

Any suggestions for what cabinet I should go for, or anything related, would be appreciated. The Vario wheels are likely to be the largest I ever need to work on at 17.5".

Right, back to sleep.
I used one of these with great results on some engine casings if it's just for your wheels, used kiln dried sand from wickes on a big sheet of plastic so you can reuse the sand.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Like your layout, just one observation, you have the fresh water, heaters, UMass, toilet and 'barrery' 😊 all at one side with just the waste water on the other so could you end up out of kilter a bit? Swapping the fresh and waste would be better and/or moving the battery.

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Like your layout, just one observation, you have the fresh water, heaters, UMass, toilet and 'barrery' 😊 all at one side with just the waste water on the other so could you end up out of kilter a bit? Swapping the fresh and waste would be better and/or moving the battery.

If I had the option, I'd fit the fresh water tank central to the van. This is how I did it on my current van.

Sadly on the Vario I don't have the option as I want the fresh tank inside the van for better winter proofing, so it will be 350kg to one side. The iMass and toilet weigh next to nothing as neither have a tank. The battery weighs 38kg (460Ah LiFePO4), but the 2 x vehicle batteries weigh far more and are under the drivers seat.

Also, on the other side is a full size domestic oven and a large domestic fridge freezer. This won't equal out the weight of the fresh water, but Claira's wardrobe is also on that side :LOL:

(the waste will be winterised to some extent as I'll build a box to house the two diesel heaters and the waste water together, under the van)

EDIT: I hadn't mentioned I've dropped the idea of the flashy toilet as there's more to go wrong than with a cassette.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
The tilt will swap sides as the trip progresses!

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Why did Northernraider give up on this van?

Mar 23, 2018
East Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1995 + 20Yrs a 'Tugger' first.
I stopped following it when he got home as I thought he would be continuing to run a thread on the conversion. Only just found out that's not happening!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
If I had the option, I'd fit the fresh water tank central to the van. This is how I did it on my current van.

Sadly on the Vario I don't have the option as I want the fresh tank inside the van for better winter proofing, so it will be 350kg to one side. The iMass and toilet weigh next to nothing as neither have a tank. The battery weighs 38kg (460Ah LiFePO4), but the 2 x vehicle batteries weigh far more and are under the drivers seat.

Also, on the other side is a full size domestic oven and a large domestic fridge freezer. This won't equal out the weight of the fresh water, but Claira's wardrobe is also on that side :LOL:

(the waste will be winterised to some extent as I'll build a box to house the two diesel heaters and the waste water together, under the van)

EDIT: I hadn't mentioned I've dropped the idea of the flashy toilet as there's more to go wrong than with a cassette.
Im interested to know what a flashy toilet is :LOL: :unsure:, is there a choice other than caseete or black tank? Ive had both of these and generally prefer off grid andIm finding black tank so much easier, it goes easily a week and frequently much more without emptying and im generally finding few problems with dumping it. There are a couple more seals but generally less hassle than casette and sog.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Can’t be arsed. What hoping for a brief answer.
download.jpeg

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Im interested to know what a flashy toilet is :LOL: :unsure:, is there a choice other than caseete or black tank? Ive had both of these and generally prefer off grid andIm finding black tank so much easier, it goes easily a week and frequently much more without emptying and im generally finding few problems with dumping it. There are a couple more seals but generally less hassle than casette and sog.

Separator (more commonly, and incorrectly, referred to as composting ) toilets?

Incinerator toilets?

Ian

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
generally finding few problems with dumping it.
Yes, I got set up with a super duper pump and about 60m of hose so I can empty anywhere.
14 months on now and the only time it’s been out the box is when I tested it at home🙁🙁

Always managed to find drive over dumps😁

OP
OP
Wissel
Sep 16, 2013
Horncastle, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2006
Annoyingly, I think the colour is going to have to change.

Painting something the size of the Vario in a candy paint like the Mazda Soul Red will be really difficult and probably beyond my capabilities. It's a 3 part paint that needs to be consistent with each layer (taken advice now). I think even a good paint shop would struggle on this size of vehicle.

Also, in the back of my mind, I'm wondering if Soul Red will date quickly. It was only 2 years ago that Nardo Grey was the colour. Now, not really. Maybe a more classic colour that stands the test of time would be a better idea?

So, I need to decide on a colour again and open to suggestions?

Doesn't need to be in red, just something we like and suits the van. A nice simple metallic would probably be best. All of the outside accessories (awning, service doors, windows, etc) are in black (already ordered) so will go with most things.

Any ideas?

So far the best we have is Mercedes Mars Red.

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
What about some sort of volcanic orange?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back