MoT and stopped by police. (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2020
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Globetrott
Exp
We are full-timers and ran out of gas yesterday so had to go to the garage to fill up. On the way back, we were pulled over by the Police as our correspondence / vehicle registration address is mum in laws in London. They asked us about our journey and I explained that we were full-timing, were resident on the site near Truro and registered with Cornwall County Council but needed gas to cook and heat the van.

The Policemen were polite, courteous had gloves and masks on and wished us well on our onward journey (all 3 miles of it :giggle:).

Good for them being observant and doing their jobs

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
The onboard system must update at certain intervals as if it showed no mot on his system that was his authority to stop you. But you did nothing wrong as the officer said. Just doing his job to 😷

For info, no need for 'authority' .. the police have the power under the 1988 RoadTraffic Act to stop any vehicle and ask for your name, date of birth and to see your driving licence and insurance and MOT documents. In truth as MOT and Insurance are now on line and accessible via the Police National computer, a lot less people get stopped than would otherwise.

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
For info, no need for 'authority' .. the police have the power under the 1988 RoadTraffic Act to stop any vehicle and ask for your name, date of birth and to see your driving licence and insurance and MOT documents. In truth as MOT and Insurance are now on line and accessible via the Police National computer, a lot less people get stopped than would otherwise.
Sorry I was thinking Scotland was the same as England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 different traffic laws I think 😷👍
The Code of Practice says that the police must have 'reasonable grounds' to stop and search you. This means reasonable suspicion that you have committed, are committing, or are about to commit a crime. Or that you're carrying an illegal item

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Sorry I was thinking Scotland was the same as England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 different traffic laws I think 😷👍
The Code of Practice says that the police must have 'reasonable grounds' to stop and search you. This means reasonable suspicion that you have committed, are committing, or are about to commit a crime. Or that you're carrying an illegal item
And im glad it does.

Ive reported police before for wasting my time on a random stop.

One cheeky bugger pulled me over in my vw splitty back in the 90's just to have a look as he was thinking of buying one ... Bloody cheek.

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Stop and search (person) requires reasonable grounds in England too.

Stopping a vehicle is as above - basically a documents check

Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
Stop and search (person) requires reasonable grounds in England too.

Stopping a vehicle is as above - basically a documents check
As said before. Different laws in different parts of the uk.

The police have the power to stop and search you and the vehicle you're travelling in.

If the police stop and search you, they must follow the rules set out in the Stop and Search Code of Practice.

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
We are full-timers and ran out of gas yesterday so had to go to the garage to fill up. On the way back, we were pulled over by the Police as our correspondence / vehicle registration address is mum in laws in London. They asked us about our journey and I explained that we were full-timing, were resident on the site near Truro and registered with Cornwall County Council but needed gas to cook and heat the van.

The Policemen were polite, courteous had gloves and masks on and wished us well on our onward journey (all 3 miles of it :giggle:).

Good for them being observant and doing their jobs
We had to get gas yesterday - where we are is a cold spot so had to do a 40 mile trip up and down the M6 to get gas, we also did the laundrette and food shopping at the same time. We passed 3 or 4 police cars en-route with no problems so that gave us the confidence to go for the house viewing. Hopefully Monday's trip will be as uneventful.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
MoT this morning, 7 a.m. at South Gloucester Yate testing station a week passed the 6 month extension date. Pass with no advisory thank you. On the way home police pulled me over just after 8 a.m., "are you on an essential journey", "yes just had an MoT", "oh yes at this time in the morning", "yes sir here is the certificate". I completed the interview with as I keep it on the road to comply with the law I have to keep it road worthy, hence the MoT. I don't but felt a bit smug in saying so. We parted our ways. So glad it was not a failure! Impressed by mask and gloves the PC was wearing. Be safe everyone.
I wouldn't have been calling him sir. Remember they work for you not the other way around 😁

Im all for being polite but sod the honorifics ..... respect is earned from me not automatically given.

7am mot though ...thats grim ...i dont get up before 9 these days 😁

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
My sentiments exactly as per usual theres always a few thats got to go searching for evidence to claim wrongdoing.

Its getting worse than facebook on here at times.
Agreed sometimes I question why I’m reading this stuff but it’s somewhat addictive!!
All these rebels going for MOT s the worlds gone mad!! 😂

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'm now cacking it - thanks..
We're hoping to exchange contracts shortly on a house that's been empty for about 18 months (we've been full timing for over a year). We did one viewing in October last year but not seen it throughout winter. It's a dooer upper so not 100% water tight and there are some big trees in the garden near the house. Before exchange we want to check it's still OK and no severe damage has happened over winter so I've arranged a second viewing on Monday. It's a 200 mile round trip and we've only got the moho to travel in. I'll be taking correspondence from the estate agents and camp site to demonstrate my situation and reason for travel but still worried. Hopefully we'll be OK but still a concern that I might get a wrong officer stopping us.
Not a problem.... House viewing anywhere in the country, house purchase and house removal are all acceptable reasons for travel.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No

The police have the power to stop and search you and the vehicle you're travelling in.

If the police stop and search you, they must follow the rules set out in the Stop and Search Code of Practice.

I think conflating different laws here....police have powers to stop and make examination of a vehicle in terms of road traffic act....

if they want to search a person there is usually specific legislation for whatever reason they wish to search you eg stolen property, firearms offences and for that they require reasonable suspicion.

In terms of RTA police can pretty much stop any vehicle/ driver at any time to ensure that have Docs and vehicle roadworthy.

Does that make sense.......?😀

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I think conflating different laws here....police have powers to stop and make examination of a vehicle in terms of road traffic act....

if they want to search a person there is usually specific legislation for whatever reason they wish to search you eg stolen property, firearms offences and for that they require reasonable suspicion.

In terms of RTA police can pretty much stop any vehicle/ driver at any time to ensure that have Docs and vehicle roadworthy.

Does that make sense.......?😀
As fat haggis stated above its different in Scotland 👍

There has to be a reason

Of course the police can and do simply create a reason .. didn't indicate etc
Sometimes they even say things like we dont see many of these cars or people this colour here etc .... YouTube is full of them 😁
If you've led a sheltered life and never encountered these officers then think yourself lucky

Some of us have ..... several times.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

I suppose reasonable grounds ,could be that they see a motorhome and think reasonably,Is this person going on a holiday or staying out overnight,when it's not allowed. (y)

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
I'm now cacking it - thanks..
We're hoping to exchange contracts shortly on a house that's been empty for about 18 months (we've been full timing for over a year). We did one viewing in October last year but not seen it throughout winter. It's a dooer upper so not 100% water tight and there are some big trees in the garden near the house. Before exchange we want to check it's still OK and no severe damage has happened over winter so I've arranged a second viewing on Monday. It's a 200 mile round trip and we've only got the moho to travel in. I'll be taking correspondence from the estate agents and camp site to demonstrate my situation and reason for travel but still worried. Hopefully we'll be OK but still a concern that I might get a wrong officer stopping us.
We are moving house ATM and on Tuesday took our MH from Northants to Cornwall, a 5hr trip. I was sure I would get stopped so had paperwork etc reference the house purchase from our solicitor. Guess what?.....
.....yep never saw a cop car 😃

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
And what was the official response to your complaint?
From memory i got a half arsed letter of apology.
But then there was quite a few incidents with myself and the police in the 90's
Still encounter the odd idiot one nowadays... They tend not to like when you dont cow down to them.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I suppose reasonable grounds ,could be that they see a motorhome and think reasonably,Is this person going on a holiday or staying out overnight,when it's not allowed. (y)
As someone above said thats ok as long as they are stopping lots of other types of vehicles at the same time and not just motorhomes otherwise it is discrimination.

Jul 26, 2018
Funster No
As fat haggis stated above its different in Scotland 👍

There has to be a reason

Of course the police can and do simply create a reason .. didn't indicate etc
Sometimes they even say things like we dont see many of these cars or people this colour here etc .... YouTube is full of them 😁
If you've led a sheltered life and never encountered these officers then think yourself lucky

Some of us have ..... several times.
Disagree I’m afraid...........RTA applies in all parts of UK.....power to stop and examine vehicle to ensure roadworthiness and docs.....rta says nothing about a reason....

power to stop and search an individual for eg a knife is different and requires reasonable suspicion etc

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
That went out the window with Cummins

Had he been fined and sacked immediately then a lot may have taken things more seriously.

After all what some deem essential isn't always what everyone else deems essential thats life.

Thats how there are coffee shops open for takeaway
Ps does adding 4 exclamation marks add any weight to the statement or have you a sticky key 😁

Last edited:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Disagree I’m afraid...........RTA applies in all parts of UK.....power to stop and examine vehicle to ensure roadworthiness and docs.....rta says nothing about a reason....

power to stop and search an individual for eg a knife is different and requires reasonable suspicion etc
That is a reason is it not?

But if they dont state that reason and say " i just wanted a look as i was thinking of buying one of these " then trust me in Scotland that is an illegal stop

So is " we dont see many of these aroind here "

And " theres been a lot of crime by asian males round here lately "

Ask me how i know 😉👍

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Mostly England and wales but this guy is great at bringing dodgy cops to attention and has successfully challenged in court.
Some of the videos are hilarious.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
The first part is even better and informative for those thinking any vehicle stop is lawful

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
That is a reason is it not?

But if they dont state that reason and say " i just wanted a look as i was thinking of buying one of these " then trust me in Scotland that is an illegal stop

So is " we dont see many of these aroind here "

And " theres been a lot of crime by asian males round here lately "

Ask me how i know 😉👍
Are you an Asian Male ? :)

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Cops can't win can they. If they are not stopping people for checks they are useless lazy and not doing their jobs. If they are out there "doing their jobs" they are harassing, and doing everything they shouldn't. Who would be a cop.
PS i am not a cop fan, far from it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back