MoT and stopped by police. (1 Viewer)

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
On the radio this morning there was an advert from Kwik-fit. Which stated, "Because your not doing many miles your engine battery may be on it's way out, come to Kwik-fit for a free battery check." Or words to that effect.

Now, if your car can get to Kwik-fit it probably started OK. Therefore are Kwik-fit inciting you to commit a crime, by making a non-essential journey to see if your battery is OK ?
No they are inciting you to do a non- essential journey to take money out of your wallet for a replacement battery you don’t need ,

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
The first part is even better and informative for those thinking any vehicle stop is lawful

I would be wary of taking anything from this website as gospel, as well as having the most irritating voice in the world it is not wholly accurate in respect of the law. Incidently did you see any police in the first clip?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
reasonable grounds
Yeah they do 🤔 but is “ you had a light flashing when you turnt right” a reasonable excuse? It’s an indicator but looked light a light flashing. If they want to stop you they will with excuses like that. Tbh if your not doing anything wrong I don’t see an issue 😁

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I would be wary of taking anything from this website as gospel, as well as having the most irritating voice in the world it is not wholly accurate in respect of the law. Incidently did you see any police in the first clip?
Ive watched literally dozens of this guys videos ...in everyone he clearly shows you the laws and acts. Ive also watched the ones where he has brought civil actions against the police and won them.

He has a channel go watch some.

Having had plenty experience with unprofessional cops who often dont know the law they claim to be upholding im all to aware of their misgivings.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Yeah they do 🤔 but is “ you had a light flashing when you turnt right” a reasonable excuse? It’s an indicator but looked light a light flashing. If they want to stop you they will with excuses like that. Tbh if your not doing anything wrong I don’t see an issue 😁
Depends how often it happens.

You may be lucky to have your time wasted once and don't mind but when its a regular occurrence just because you happen to drive a vehicle that draws their attention or you look a certain way etc then it fast becomes an issue.

Civil rights slowly being eroded all under the guise of protection.

Often the only people some need protection from is the police themselves.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
😂😂😂 you are also correct in assuming back, I guess from my user name. Back home after 34 years away 😀
You have been away Sooooooooo! long, repeat after me;
"Gid ooorf my laaaand!

(Unless you've got a Tenner)" :rofl:

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
I’m not acting like a bar room lawyer mate just stating things are different in Scotland and England. It get complicated as the norm. I said in the fist instance the officer did nothing wrong in stopping him. As his system didn’t probably update as fast thus his probable reason for stopping him showing no mot.
Sorry - wasn't suggesting you were, just a bit of generic advice from one who's been on the other end of it. 'Does your head go all the way up inside your helmet' and 'haven't you got any criminals to catch' wear thin after a bit, and can bring out one's inner arsehole.

Jun 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Advantage
Exp
Since 2008
Ive watched literally dozens of this guys videos ...in everyone he clearly shows you the laws and acts. Ive also watched the ones where he has brought civil actions against the police and won them.

He has a channel go watch some.

Having had plenty experience with unprofessional cops who often dont know the law they claim to be upholding im all to aware of their misgivings.
I don't disagree that some police stops are poorly managed and also show an embarrassing lack of legal knowledge on behalf of some of the cops. I have watched some of the videos which is why I made the original comment, some appear to be selectively edited and are not legally accurate. A very clear anti-police stance unfortunately casts a shadow over what could be informative stuff. He is not a lawyer, just appears to have a long standing grudge from an historic encounter with police. As the saying goes a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!
The things he offers on the website are all in the public domain.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
I went out to fill up with gas today, saw a copper but he never stopped me.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Trouble is normally if you have sold yours the buyer wants to be in ASAP and then you have to rush to find something or loose your buyer, the whole process starts again then☹️☹️

My buyer wants to be in by end of March to save over £18k stamp duty, not going to happen the way things are.
when we sod a house with a deadline for double tax relief for our buyers we just exchanged contracts and completed the sale with a moving date 3 months later

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
when we sod a house with a deadline for double tax relief for our buyers we just exchanged contracts and completed the sale with a moving date 3 months later
Trouble is they won’t have the paperwork done by the end of March, I sold 2 houses last September none of them were in a chain and it still took 11-12 weeks for legal stuff I think also it’s the local searches that take the time.

Feb 13, 2019
LLANELLI
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam Zefiro 685
Exp
6 years
Myself personally, would be happy to get stopped by Police. That means that if stolen, I would have a better chance of it being recovered.

Boy

Apr 17, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Since 195
I am sure there are police officer out there with the tack of a sledge hammer
but where would be if we did not have the police.
I have to say I’ve not been pulled over or stoped by the police in a long time
I have engaged with our local police on patrol in the streets not as much as would like to see but that’s the way it is
the saying comes to mind damed if do damed if you don’t
happy days

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Not a problem.... House viewing anywhere in the country, house purchase and house removal are all acceptable reasons for travel.
So how about considering a move to somewhere 300 miles away, say scotland, too far to travel there and back in one day?

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
I got stopped in Plymouth last week. Copper swanned up to the motor, opened the passenger door and asked "morning drive, can I ask where you have been, where you are going and is the journey essential?"

All I could muster was "you're having a laugh right?" to which he replied "no, im not in the habit of having a laugh, so if you wouldn't mind answering the question"? Oh here we go, copper on a power trip!

So, as politely as I could, I asked him to put on a pair of gloves before I showed him the movement order from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary Abnormal Loads officer, and a letter from DfT instructing the logistics and transport sectors to continue operating as normal where possible, regardless of what is being transported. He got a pair of gloves out, put them on and took the letter and notification from me. I think he must have just learned to read cause he took ages to look at the documentation.

I asked him if he wanted to download the tacho, which he declined (might not have known what I was talking about) so I asked him to make sure he closed the door properly when he's done.

He even had the nerve to smuggly say "ok drive, we have to be seen to be pro active during these times". Flipping idiot! It reaffirmed my distain for the Police service of today.

And this is what he pulled me up in?

20210207_103049.jpg

lynnian

Free Member
May 4, 2010
Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Ace Genova
Exp
Since 2008
Back on thread. Dropped van off for Friday MOT at 4.30 on Thursday 10 miles from storage as nearest one that can accomadate the height. Passed 1 police car no problems . Oh and it passed. Managed 1400 miles as well some how.

Mar 14, 2019
Sutton Coldfield but East Yorkshire man at heart
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest155
Exp
Since 2018
Yes pre booked, yes VED and insurance, and yes I do park on the road at least once a week although back on the drive for bed time to comply with insurance statement. Smug I was.

To be fair he was polite, did not ask to turn the engine off, looked knackered and was driving a Vauxhall van. No problem with them doing their duty, and I guess a moho on the road during lockdown could be suspect, and "had an MoT" at 7 in the morning not something you would expect.

Keep safe people keep safe.
As I understand it, you are not allowed on the road with an expired MOT, even for parking.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
.I think Northernraider raises the point of "Reason for vehicle stop" as checking the documents legitimately.

The RTA says officer can stop vehicle for that "Reason" and should that reason be given as "documents check" and the driver not have them then the 7 day wonder (HORT/1) ought to be given or it brings into question the original reason for the stop, which, lets be honest, is normally "Looking for grounds to search"

I always handed out a HORT/1 and taught my probies to do the same, or tell them to give another reason. "Is your battery secure?"

The Law appears to be the same in Scotland as it is in England for this

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I got stopped in Plymouth last week. Copper swanned up to the motor, opened the passenger door and asked "morning drive, can I ask where you have been, where you are going and is the journey essential?"

All I could muster was "you're having a laugh right?" to which he replied "no, im not in the habit of having a laugh, so if you wouldn't mind answering the question"? Oh here we go, copper on a power trip!

So, as politely as I could, I asked him to put on a pair of gloves before I showed him the movement order from Devon and Cornwall Constabulary Abnormal Loads officer, and a letter from DfT instructing the logistics and transport sectors to continue operating as normal where possible, regardless of what is being transported. He got a pair of gloves out, put them on and took the letter and notification from me. I think he must have just learned to read cause he took ages to look at the documentation.

I asked him if he wanted to download the tacho, which he declined (might not have known what I was talking about) so I asked him to make sure he closed the door properly when he's done.

He even had the nerve to smuggly say "ok drive, we have to be seen to be pro active during these times". Flipping idiot! It reaffirmed my distain for the Police service of today.

And this is what he pulled me up in?

View attachment 463501
Yes. Your disdain for the police is all through your thread.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Sorry I was thinking Scotland was the same as England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 different traffic laws I think 😷👍
The Code of Practice says that the police must have 'reasonable grounds' to stop and search you. This means reasonable suspicion that you have committed, are committing, or are about to commit a crime. Or that you're carrying an illegal item
Un necessary journey is illegal in England at the moment

Jul 11, 2020
Southampton
Funster No
MH
Benimar Tessoro T486
Exp
Since August 2020
MoT this morning, 7 a.m. at South Gloucester Yate testing station a week passed the 6 month extension date.
Does that mean that when you drove the 'van to the Test Station, it had run out of ticket?
You are permitted to drive to a test station without a valid MOT

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back