MoT and stopped by police. (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
MoT this morning, 7 a.m. at South Gloucester Yate testing station a week passed the 6 month extension date. Pass with no advisory thank you. On the way home police pulled me over just after 8 a.m., "are you on an essential journey", "yes just had an MoT", "oh yes at this time in the morning", "yes sir here is the certificate". I completed the interview with as I keep it on the road to comply with the law I have to keep it road worthy, hence the MoT. I don't but felt a bit smug in saying so. We parted our ways. So glad it was not a failure! Impressed by mask and gloves the PC was wearing. Be safe everyone.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
House viewing quizzed twice in two hours, had to show letter of appointment.
Details taken watched as they entered my registration.
No comment utter silence both times.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
MoT this morning, 7 a.m. at South Gloucester Yate testing station a week passed the 6 month extension date. Pass with no advisory thank you. On the way home police pulled me over just after 8 a.m., "are you on an essential journey", "yes just had an MoT", "oh yes at this time in the morning", "yes sir here is the certificate". I completed the interview with as I keep it on the road to comply with the law I have to keep it road worthy, hence the MoT. I don't but felt a bit smug in saying so. We parted our ways. So glad it was not a failure! Impressed by mask and gloves the PC was wearing. Be safe everyone.
MoT this morning, 7 a.m. at South Gloucester Yate testing station a week passed the 6 month extension date.
Does that mean that when you drove the 'van to the Test Station, it had run out of ticket?

Swifter

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2020
Herefordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2019
MoT this morning, 7 a.m. at South Gloucester Yate testing station a week passed the 6 month extension date.
Does that mean that when you drove the 'van to the Test Station, it had run out of ticket?
Yes it does but as he was going directly to a pre booked MOT, I believe this is ok .

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
House viewing quizzed twice in two hours, had to show letter of appointment.
Details taken watched as they entered my registration.
No comment utter silence both times.

"quizzed twice in two hours,"
"No comment utter silence both times"

Did they use Sign language or smoke signals?

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie

That is perfectly legal providing you are taking a direct route to the MOT station and itā€™s pre booked.

No need to have VED on the vehicle either but insurance is required.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Yes it does but as he was going directly to a pre booked MOT, I believe this is ok .
"I completed the interview with as I keep it on the road to comply with the law I have to keep it road worthy, hence the MoT"

So in saying that, you were talking, "Pony." Nothing to be smug about.
And no doubt, the Copper would have been the worst in the World had he reported you. (You did admit the offence)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Clivefog
Jul 4, 2018
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg
Exp
A few years.
Yes pre booked, yes VED and insurance, and yes I do park on the road at least once a week although back on the drive for bed time to comply with insurance statement. Smug I was.

To be fair he was polite, did not ask to turn the engine off, looked knackered and was driving a Vauxhall van. No problem with them doing their duty, and I guess a moho on the road during lockdown could be suspect, and "had an MoT" at 7 in the morning not something you would expect.

Keep safe people keep safe.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2016
Taynuilt, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer 655 Starline
Exp
Village idiot
The onboard system must update at certain intervals as if it showed no mot on his system that was his authority to stop you. But you did nothing wrong as the officer said. Just doing his job to šŸ˜·

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
And no doubt, the Copper would have been the worst in the World had he reported you. (You did admit the offence)
There was no offence for Clivefog to admit.
You are allowed to drive a vehicle without a current MOT (and untaxed if it has run out) to a pre-booked test.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
oh yes at this time in the morning", "
That's the smarmy answer that would set me off.
completed the interview with as I keep it on the road to comply with the law I have to keep it road worthy, hence the MoT"
No requirement to have an mot to park on the road only tax and insurance
Yes but he said it was kept on the road.
As above.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
"I completed the interview with as I keep it on the road to comply with the law I have to keep it road worthy, hence the MoT"

So in saying that, you were talking, "Pony." Nothing to be smug about.
Blimey,,,,,BUSBY :LOL: :LOL: ..

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Answer: If your car has no MOT, it should not be parked on the public highway and you should look to book it in for its MOT immediately. Whilst it's parked on the public highway without an MOT it could be reported, resulting in you being fined and your car seized.

I am not planning to drive for a while, can I still park without an MOT?​

Vehicles that are parked on the public highway without an MOT can be reported. Therefore, you can be fined and have your vehicle seized. If you do not have the intention of using your vehicle for a while, you need to register your vehicle as ā€œSORNā€ and keep it off the public road (park it on your driveway or in a garage instead).

This way, you are avoiding falling foul of the law.

Needs MOT for Tax too

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
There was no offence for Clivefog to admit.
You are allowed to drive a vehicle without a current MOT (and untaxed if it has run out) to a pre-booked test.
Have another read of the OP.

Then have a read of my post (No.8)

In his OP, as written by him, he admitted to parking the 'van on the road without an MOT . He did not clarify until after I pointed out to him, (he did that later) that had didn't park the van on the road during the period between 1st Feb. and today.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
That's the smarmy answer that would set me off.

As above.
"No requirement to have an mot to park on the road only tax and insurance"

I beg to differ.

Don't risk parking your pride and joy on a road without an MOT. It will end in tears.

Aug 4, 2019
North East Riviera
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Enough to Survive
From the Ask the Police website.....

3AA9CA5A-D6DB-47E0-9A9D-0C2E711A84BE.jpeg

<Broken link removed>

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
I'm now cacking it - thanks..
We're hoping to exchange contracts shortly on a house that's been empty for about 18 months (we've been full timing for over a year). We did one viewing in October last year but not seen it throughout winter. It's a dooer upper so not 100% water tight and there are some big trees in the garden near the house. Before exchange we want to check it's still OK and no severe damage has happened over winter so I've arranged a second viewing on Monday. It's a 200 mile round trip and we've only got the moho to travel in. I'll be taking correspondence from the estate agents and camp site to demonstrate my situation and reason for travel but still worried. Hopefully we'll be OK but still a concern that I might get a wrong officer stopping us.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I'm now cacking it - thanks..
We're hoping to exchange contracts shortly on a house that's been empty for about 18 months (we've been full timing for over a year). We did one viewing in October last year but not seen it throughout winter. It's a dooer upper so not 100% water tight and there are some big trees in the garden near the house. Before exchange we want to check it's still OK and no severe damage has happened over winter so I've arranged a second viewing on Monday. It's a 200 mile round trip and we've only got the moho to travel in. I'll be taking correspondence from the estate agents and camp site to demonstrate my situation and reason for travel but still worried. Hopefully we'll be OK but still a concern that I might get a wrong officer stopping us.
If you get pulled tell them your a CELEB,,,,or better still Rita Ora or Pierce Morgan,,they can please themselves,,BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back