I'm not a fan of wildcamping (1 Viewer)

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I think 'wilding' means 'at no cost'. It's certainly not 'roughing it' in most of today's motorhomes.

It amuses me that folk who have invested so much in their equipment try to avoid paying a small amount in the scheme of things to stay somewhere. Then there are those who claim they are pumping money back into the local economy instead. I don't think we're all tight and devious, however. It should be little surprise that we watch the pennies because the very attraction of motor homing is to be able to holiday more economically and often.

I will stop where convenient when en route somewhere, but try to do so inconspicuously and then it's only overnight. I'll pick an approved spot if I'm staying for longer, which means a site/aire/stellplatz/etc..
I'm not ant-wilding, so long as it's done in a way that does not spoil it for others. We don't want to become outlawed like Gypsies. That's not to say that all Gypsies have unsociable habits; I understand that some are very good at laying tarmac.
When I persuaded Nick to try Motorhoming we certainly didn’t think it was a way of having cheap holidays, they are quite expensive. We had many wonderful holidays camping with the children , then progressed to a trailer tent. I never managed to talk him into a caravavan, he hated towing the trailer tent but I won with the motorhome. By then the children had left home. For us motorhoming is camping in luxury, we moved from a tiny old PVC to a top of the range one. It’s a lifestyle choice.

We love the rallies and meets, have made some great new friends, it has added a new dimension to our retirement. We’ve done a bit of wildcamping but we like full facility sites as well. We certainly would not want to parkup where we might cause offense, that’s just selfish. It’s all about variety but I would not describe it as a cheap hobby for us, mind you it can be if you avoid the temptation of new vans!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Maybe not, but visitors should be aware of its legal meaning and not use the term to describe parking in lay-bys, etc here as “Wild Camping”
Beg to differ.. Colloquially within the motorhome community it IS referred to as wilding.. Might not be right or accurate but that is neither here nor there..
Many many folk refer to ball point pens as biros, or vacuum cleaners as hoovers.. motorhomers generally refer to parking any where not a designated site 'wild camping' or wilding'

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Lets say the average cl stop is £10 a night..
If we used Cl's that would mean an average yearly outlay of £900 for us ( not this year !! ) on site fees, plus the several gallons of diesel used in getting to the sites rather than simply stopping at an on route out of the way location
I can only say that using CL's is spot on for those who WANT to use them and for whom an extra yearly outlay of a grand is but a small amount to the individuals who are happy to spend that amount..
Of course there are also the others who use their motorhomes so infrequently the fee aspect is inconsequential

Which only amplifies that we are ALL different, and perhaps passing comments on others life style is perhaps not that good an idea ?

Absolutely spot on! We too like to be out for around 90 nights per year.
In the years when we had our sons holidaying with us we used sites both in the UK and in Europe but we now like to overnight as remote from habitation as possible or in a place like a typical French village aire that puts us within (or on the edge of) the local community.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I'd love it that there was a CL/CS everywhere I want to go. No problem paying £8 for a field and a tap and waste disposal. However, few of them take kindly to arriving at 2am because you prefer to drive in the evening/night rather than waste daylight hours.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
An odd post, presumably to promote discussion/argument.
I'm not a fan of ballroom dancing but dont feel the need to tell everyone.
You just have. I agree with you , I’m not a fan of ball room dancing either.🤭😂🤫
Oh good, I'm not the only one then. (y) :giggle: p.s. I don't like football either.
Thank god for that

I dont like either of them

Oct 25, 2016
Hartford Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-
Exp
Lots but slow learner.
Not wanted or needed to wild/free/of grid park up to now. Always found a suitable site with the facilities and security we prefer. Of course there will come a time when we will/need to but until that time it's authorised built for purpose sites for us.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We have the odd night, tucked away somewhere. We know a few lovely spots which have fabulous views. Toilet waste is never a problem for an odd night, we also carry a spare cassette but in truth we’ve never used it.

If you only stay one night and take your rubbish with you, I can’t see the problem.

M-J

Jan 15, 2019
Cambridgeshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido 986F
Exp
Getting there!
Whenever we see a ‘wild camper’ parked in a street, car park or layby I always say ‘ooohh freebie’ or ‘they’re brave’

Each to their own but not for me.

Jun 8, 2020
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
in response (and when i use the word you Pandas - i dont mean you personally, i am using it to demonstrate a point and it isnt being aimed at you personally)

wild camping in my opinion can mean whatever anyone wants it to mean, generally means 'off grid' in one form or another, i dont see the confusion or even why we should try to limit its meaning? burying your toilet waste wouldnt be a thing i would do, but i dont see why it should bother anyone if it did occasionally happen in a suitable area in an emergency - there are still lots of people who dont clean up after their own dogs ...... you could also ask, what happens to human waste once you have deposited it down a CL site facility, water based products and 'soiled liquid' is just left to leech into the ground (can that be construed as being the same as burying it?) what happens to the solids .... if you ever get chance to spend a day or two at the CAT site in Wales it might open your eyes as to how good a nutrient human waste is, they even grow tomato plants bare rooted, with the roots fed by human urine !!

i have stayed in some fantastic pub car parks but there are also lots that i wouldnt stay in, thats no different to camp sites, some i would use, others i would avoid

'miffing' of the locals is something to be avoided, even on hotel holidays abroad, where the average annual wage can be less than a weekly wage for some in the UK

as for incentives and being cost driven, each to their own. some do it to save money, others because they love the life AND i agree it isnt for everyone and thank goodness we are all different
O lovely I must try one of them tomato ha. Not

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
I think wild camping is a term used mostly by people that don’t own motorhomes, is staying on an free Aire with water and waste disposal points wild camping..? I think not....

Wild camping is staying somewhere where you are disturbing no one and nobody probably knows your there...

I’ve parked up at campsites, Aires and in places that are tucked out of the way because if it’s where I wanted to be then I find the best location to it...

If it’s free, it’s a bonus...😁

Oct 8, 2016
Tunbridge Wells
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes, I see wild-camping as Off-grid too. (jessthedog, earlier). Not for us personally but I can see the attraction if you just need somewhere as a stopover. Certainly saves money and allows for flexibility of travel plans whilst keeping within a budget. If, like us, you prefer to book sites in advance then there’s no need to wild-camp but equally some motorhomers prefer to hit the road with only vague plans and make it up as they travel and I admire them. For them, wild-camping is a valuable tool in their armoury and, when the occasion demands, an excellent choice.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
I agree it is off grid camping ⛺ how on earth can it really be wild camping when you have heat light food and all the comforts of home.

I suspect many would not choose to spend time wild camping without the luxuries a MoHo affords

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I agree it is off grid camping ⛺ how on earth can it really be wild camping when you have heat light food and all the comforts of home.

I suspect many would not choose to spend time wild camping without the luxuries a MoHo affords
A few years ago ( welllll.. about 10 actually :) )my son and I was on our way to Garda for a bike meet.. Due to a late arrival in Calais we could not do our normal and do it in one hit..
Somewhere well down the A8 autobahn we just puled off, dived in to the forest and set up the tents ..
During the following years we tented up in the alps, and 4 years ago all over Scotland..Only rarely using camp sites
I reckon that rates wild camping without a motorhome :)

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I had another free night here last night ...surprisingly couldnt hear that road above ..it was drowned out by the river
20201018_100247.jpg
20201018_100157.jpg

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I feel really sorry for motorhomers who will never, ever experience the freedom, privacy and flexibility of "Off-Site" parking/staying because they feel they must stay on "official" sites.
JJ :cool:
I don't. The place would become over-run with 'wilders'.
Leave each to their own...

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
Real wild camping you don't take all your waste home, you carry one of these:
E784B3B9-5678-45F5-93E1-4F2705C46793.jpeg

but I am not talking about "camping" in a motorhome.

EdwardFT

Free Member
Aug 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
As far as the public who think that off-site campers do it to save money, do they also think that the millions and millions of car and van drivers who park for free every night in the UK are doing it just to save money on car parks?

Geoff
Well put. I am happy to pay for something that I want. I find that CLs and paying Aires are selling something that I want once or twice a week. Campsites are selling something that I normally don't want at all. Nothing against them, I have been known to stay on campsites to get a pool in the summer, or to get 24hr electricity in a hard winter, but mostly we are just not in the same market. And can you really accuse someone who has bought a motorhome of being cheap? Mine wasn't, but it was what I wanted, for its self contained nature, so I paid for it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back