I'm not a fan of wildcamping (1 Viewer)

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I am confused about the definition of ‘wild camping’. Pub car parks, lay-byes, boy racers, burying your toilet waste! Doesn’t sound like much fun to me. Had a brief look at the park4night sight for areas near ish us in the South East just to see what people are recommending. Ditto the issues I mentioned above with the occasional cul-de-sac in remote/rural area but also near houses where I would personally miffed if a few motorhomes stayed overnight. Not sure what the incentive is, they are not Aires, they are not in remote parts of Italy or Canada just seems to be an incentive based on cost. Why not stay in CL sites where they are set up, they have some facilities for dumping waste, grey and black and are in places that will not hack anybody off. If you want tob’wild’ it buy a small tent and walk off into the woods - just take your rubbish (and waste) back with you.

Note from Jim: This topic was split from another thread. It needed it's own thread as it would have ruined the one it was posted in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 27, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
Just to start a heated discussion, whatever happened to digging a big hole and emptying the toilet and then filling the hole back in again ? Of course you need to be aware of where you are doing the digging ..... Does a bear s##t in the woods (and bury it)?
I remember as a child going to CCC, DA sites and seeing a massive pit dug in the corner of the field. This is where all the toilets got emptied and then filled in by the farmer after everyone had left.
My Dad used to say "I'm just off to empty the gold fish bowl" I used to hate the job then, if it was my turn, and sitting in the toilet tent used to be an experience in it's self.

OP
OP
pandas
Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
So which CL is nearest to Ellon town centre? :unsure:
No idea but you might of clocked that I was talking generally about the concept of Wild- Camping. We camped in the centre of Palermo amongst a housing estate and the centre of Stockholm under a bridge both were fine for the convenience of visiting those cities.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I am confused about the definition of ‘wild camping’. Pub car parks, lay-byes, boy racers, burying your toilet waste! Doesn’t sound like much fun to me. Had a brief look at the park4night sight for areas near ish us in the South East just to see what people are recommending. Ditto the issues I mentioned above with the occasional cul-de-sac in remote/rural area but also near houses where I would personally miffed if a few motorhomes stayed overnight. Not sure what the incentive is, they are not Aires, they are not in remote parts of Italy or Canada just seems to be an incentive based on cost. Why not stay in CL sites where they are set up, they have some facilities for dumping waste, grey and black and are in places that will not hack anybody off. If you want tob’wild’ it buy a small tent and walk off into the woods - just take your rubbish (and waste) back with you.

in response (and when i use the word you Pandas - i dont mean you personally, i am using it to demonstrate a point and it isnt being aimed at you personally)

wild camping in my opinion can mean whatever anyone wants it to mean, generally means 'off grid' in one form or another, i dont see the confusion or even why we should try to limit its meaning? burying your toilet waste wouldnt be a thing i would do, but i dont see why it should bother anyone if it did occasionally happen in a suitable area in an emergency - there are still lots of people who dont clean up after their own dogs ...... you could also ask, what happens to human waste once you have deposited it down a CL site facility, water based products and 'soiled liquid' is just left to leech into the ground (can that be construed as being the same as burying it?) what happens to the solids .... if you ever get chance to spend a day or two at the CAT site in Wales it might open your eyes as to how good a nutrient human waste is, they even grow tomato plants bare rooted, with the roots fed by human urine !!

i have stayed in some fantastic pub car parks but there are also lots that i wouldnt stay in, thats no different to camp sites, some i would use, others i would avoid

'miffing' of the locals is something to be avoided, even on hotel holidays abroad, where the average annual wage can be less than a weekly wage for some in the UK

as for incentives and being cost driven, each to their own. some do it to save money, others because they love the life AND i agree it isnt for everyone and thank goodness we are all different

Nomadian

Free Member
Feb 21, 2020
Not up Jim’s arse like some
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
More than some less than others
1602930585412.gif

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Ok I’ll bite. What you are describing is not wild camping but seeing where you’re from I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. I would call wild camping finding a nice little off road pull in somewhere in the Dales or North York moors and further North. There probably isn’t a house or quite likely a person for miles.
I appreciate you probably don’t have these sort of uninhabited areas near you but quite a few of us can be in very empty parts of the country within an hour or so. This is what I would term wild camping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On the other side of the coin, I have never grasped the idea of paying an arm and a leg to park in a field because it has a tap.
CL's ( other types of site are available :) ) have their place
Indeed we are not anti using them ( witnessed by the fact we just spent a lovely couple of days at Jims place ) but if I wanted to stay on organised sites all the time I would not have a motorhome..
Wilding brings its own challenges which we prefer to those presented by site life

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I have stopped overnight, mainly abroad, many times at 'unofficial' places but never felt completely relaxed with doing it.

I understand that, most feel the same initially. it's one of those things you need to get a bit numb too, and the more you do it the easier it gets. That said, when I'm wildcamping in unfamiliar areas I am quick to wake at the slightest noise.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I think 'wilding' means 'at no cost'. It's certainly not 'roughing it' in most of today's motorhomes.

It amuses me that folk who have invested so much in their equipment try to avoid paying a small amount in the scheme of things to stay somewhere. Then there are those who claim they are pumping money back into the local economy instead. I don't think we're all tight and devious, however. It should be little surprise that we watch the pennies because the very attraction of motor homing is to be able to holiday more economically and often.

I will stop where convenient when en route somewhere, but try to do so inconspicuously and then it's only overnight. I'll pick an approved spot if I'm staying for longer, which means a site/aire/stellplatz/etc..
I'm not ant-wilding, so long as it's done in a way that does not spoil it for others. We don't want to become outlawed like Gypsies. That's not to say that all Gypsies have unsociable habits; I understand that some are very good at laying tarmac.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Ok I’ll bite. What you are describing is not wild camping but seeing where you’re from I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. I would call wild camping finding a nice little off road pull in somewhere in the Dales or North York moors and further North. There probably isn’t a house or quite likely a person for miles.
I appreciate you probably don’t have these sort of uninhabited areas near you but quite a few of us can be in very empty parts of the country within an hour or so. This is what I would term wild camping.
Speaking as someone who can see the north Yorkshire Moors out of the window at the moment I think you're right and if tucked away what's the problem. If though it came to be 15 or 20 crowded onto small parking areas with cars then strewn around in dodgy places I can also see there could be a problem. I can see why parts of Scotland are getting miffed !

Oct 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner td590 lyseo
Exp
campervan for 5 years, motorhome since May 19
...and the pegs they sell are first class!

Graydo

• Funny
Reactions: f6c

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I think Motorhomers like to use the words “Wild Camping“ coz it sounds better than Free parking.
Im wild camping at the back of Lidl’s! Yea, of course you are😀
If you own a Motorhome, with a toilet, sink and shower etc. You are never wild camping!
Off grid is a far better name for it.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
I think Motorhomers like to use the words “Wild Camping“ coz it sounds better than Free parking.
Im wild camping at the back of Lidl’s! Yea, of course you are😀
If you own a Motorhome, with a toilet, sink and shower etc. You are never wild camping!
Off grid is a far better name for it.

I started a thread with the suggestion of the acronym OGG (Off Grid Guys/Gals) instead of FLT or the like, but it got nowhere.

Geoff

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Its STILL off grid motorhoming regardless of whether you are in the middle of the dales or a carpark in the centre of Birmingham

But everyone knows by this day and age that the term wildcamping encompasses all.

As every member of this a motorhome forum likely owns a motorhome we should all just accept the fact that here the term wildcamping involves a motorhome anywhere bar an official site.

It would save the same argument over and over

Until theres an official aire system in the uk then off grid camping is the only way to be parked near anything you actually want to visit as campsites are generally not

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
I spent last night parked in a German equivalent of a b&q carpark.

Not very scenic but then it was dark and raining so who cares ...it was however free ...a stones throw from the town had i wished to get soaked visiting it ....and i can say hand on heart it was one of the quietest places ive parked that close to a town in my life ...and it was a friday night.

Did the job

Then a leisurely 30 minute drive south and over the border to Austria.

Im now in a church carpark having lunch

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
The term I believe comes from camping in the wilderness and was cited well before the MH community adopted it. Does it matter what you personally call it. Do not make a mess be respectful

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
It amuses me that folk who have invested so much in their equipment try to avoid paying a small amount in the scheme of things to stay somewhere.
Lets say the average cl stop is £10 a night..
If we used Cl's that would mean an average yearly outlay of £900 for us ( not this year !! ) on site fees, plus the several gallons of diesel used in getting to the sites rather than simply stopping at an on route out of the way location
I can only say that using CL's is spot on for those who WANT to use them and for whom an extra yearly outlay of a grand is but a small amount to the individuals who are happy to spend that amount..
Of course there are also the others who use their motorhomes so infrequently the fee aspect is inconsequential

Which only amplifies that we are ALL different, and perhaps passing comments on others life style is perhaps not that good an idea ?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It only becomes a problem when multiple units stay multiple nights in the same place...
Or when very large numbers are in one place even if they move on or large numbers in residential areas or people who leave waste/rubbish etc. We like staying off site but if it was like a French Aire (we like them) but not officially licensed/permitted it could well annoy people.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Wild Camping does have a legal definition in Scotland. It covers camping when walking, cycling or on horse back.
It does but it isn't the type thats meant when discussed by motorhomers

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back