Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
When Colin rings you back put the price up £50 🙂

Reminds me of a time I was doing a boot sale. I had some brand new angle grinders I was clearing out for £5 A guy strolls up with attitude. Does it work mate, No it’s just a box I replied. Give you £3 No I want £5 he starts to walk away, ok £4 he says No I want £10. He shouts you said £5. Yes but that’s inflation for you, you snooze you loose. Guy walks away muttering. ::bigsmile:

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
Went to my usual tool shop for some jigsaw blades but they were out of stock. so went to another tool shop and found some.
At the counter the man said that will be £10.00. I said that at my other tool shop they
were only £8.00 He said well go and get them then.
I replied I cant because they did not have any in.
He said well, when we haven't got any in ours are only £8.00 as well :Eeek: :imoutahere:

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
He has messed you about constantly as I recall, waiting for stuff, someone else not turned in. You would be better off with the small jobs. He will probably call you back saying the other guy didn't turn up.
Your call. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Went to my usual tool shop for some jigsaw blades but they were out of stock. so went to another tool shop and found some.
At the counter the man said that will be £10.00. I said that at my other tool shop they
He said well, when we haven't got any in ours are only £8.00 as well :Eeek: :imoutahere:
The old ones are the best..BUSBY😁😁

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Reminds me of when we had an aquatic and pet shop. I usually only worked in shop Saturday and Sunday as I had a workshop making aquariums and cabinets,
Anyhow spent 90 minutes with customer going through what filtration he required for aquarium, about a month later he came into shop and asked for parts for filter, me come out from rear asked him about filter he had purchased said oh I sent away for it and reply was well f****** well send away for the parts. Got me out of working in the shop at a weekend. My son used to say to my wife please mum don't let dad work in shop any more at weekends. :unsure:
This was in mid 80s

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
Good morning,,,,

lovely weather here in Norfolk,, and expected good all week!
Well my phone has gone mad,, job after job enquires, extensions mostly,, I have priced two this week and I have three to look at on Monday! I never quite expected this reaction!!

it appears a few local builders have quit after this Covid episode, and a few more have decided not to bother!!

now I think I will contact a quantity surveyor ( local) if I can, to find out the cost of them helping with quoting off drawings etc, depends on people’s time scale!! I’ve never used one before, but it may be a good thing, depending on cost of course!!

well I’m playing golf at 9.20, on my own today, but it will be a nice walk, and it will give me time to have a think and a chat to myself about finding a good labourer, and going over some aspects of how I am to organise myself, re these new enquires coming in!!

anyway, any advice is, as always, gratefully accepted, especially if you’ve had any experience of the above!!
Enjoy your Sunday, chat soon! Xxx

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
We have to be a bit careful people, although I’m pricing and looking at all this work,, none has hit my to do list yet! Lol. But I’m feeling very positive about things, wich is always good! Xxxx

ok what I have done this morning, is order what’s called Spons pricing book from amazon,, it’s a contractors price guide,, it will be very handy for referencing and a general guide, but I think the coatings will shock me! The price of the book is bad enough,, £135.00. For a book!!! Lol

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Good morning,,,,

lovely weather here in Norfolk,, and expected good all week!
Well my phone has gone mad,, job after job enquires, extensions mostly,, I have priced two this week and I have three to look at on Monday! I never quite expected this reaction!!

it appears a few local builders have quit after this Covid episode, and a few more have decided not to bother!!

now I think I will contact a quantity surveyor ( local) if I can, to find out the cost of them helping with quoting off drawings etc, depends on people’s time scale!! I’ve never used one before, but it may be a good thing, depending on cost of course!!

well I’m playing golf at 9.20, on my own today, but it will be a nice walk, and it will give me time to have a think and a chat to myself about finding a good labourer, and going over some aspects of how I am to organise myself, re these new enquires coming in!!

anyway, any advice is, as always, gratefully accepted, especially if you’ve had any experience of the above!!
Enjoy your Sunday, chat soon! Xxx
The best advice is, feet slightly apart and keep your eye on the ball.
Phil

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
We have to be a bit careful people, although I’m pricing and looking at all this work,, none has hit my to do list yet! Lol. But I’m feeling very positive about things, wich is always good! Xxxx

ok what I have done this morning, is order what’s called Spons pricing book from amazon,, it’s a contractors price guide,, it will be very handy for referencing and a general guide, but I think the coatings will shock me! The price of the book is bad enough,, £135.00. For a book!!! Lol

o_O jeepers weepers, that's a heck of a price for the book but hopefully it will be tax deductible, damn well ought to be..

Steve and Denise

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2011
Spalding LINCS
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Ian glad things are going well. The best thing is with the quality of your work, you will soon get a reputation and then word of mouth will bring you all the work you need
Look out Ian you could end up with a Reputation 🤣🤣 and you know what people say about ? Maybe I am confusing Reputations 🤣

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
What does the book actually tell you Ian that you don’t know. excuse my ignorance. (y)

well mikey, it should tell me everything about pricing,, time allotted per job, cost to do, price to charge, plant hire costs, profit, wages etc,,, Apparently it’s quite comprehensive, and I will be able to use it as a reference book, just to make sure I’m not over or underpricing! I hope!! I shall post about it when I have it and have had a look! Xx

it’s arriving tomorrow!!

May 26, 2020
Funster No
MH
On the lookout
Exp
On and off since 2006
Hi Ian, i,m a new poster and i just wanted to say how thoroughly entertaining and enjoyable it has been to read all the tales of your travels from getting the motorhome
to where you are now.Can't wait until you get another one, infact i'll give you a pound a week towards it:LOL:. Good luck and hope all goes well for you(y)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Th

That’s cause there too bloody expensive!!
TP and jewson etc run similar, the price is the manager choice. He can offer as much or little discount as he sees, just his bonus is less. The same with staff and wages etc. MKM is similar but it’s a franchise.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Ian

there are some online pricing sites.
my local builders merchants used one to price the cost of building my houses.
very handy as you can change material and labour cost and it prints out a list of things you had included for to give to the clients and a materials required for the project.
Also just put in the profit % you want.

let me know if you want the one I have and you can play about with it to see if you can use it.

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Good morning!!!

well the weather has been lovely,, and life is good !!

my adverts in the local free paper have gone in, started last week,, I have had 2enquiries already,, been to see them, one is already priced and sent , that one is to brick/ block in an existing back door, plaster to a finish inside etc, just up to the customer now!!

2nd one is a small side extension for a downstairs we and basin, 1.4 mtrs deep, 2 mtrs long, with a sloping tiled roof and anew doorway through from the hall,,i shall be pricing that this week and emailing customer ASAP!

I did have a bit of a setback though!
That builder I’m supposed to be doing the two story extension for, in Norwich rang me, and asked me to come and build the footings so they can get the oversite in,, ok I said I can do it wed,,,( today) the price was £300 ,
160 concrete blocks and 300 bricks,, I think I could have done it in a long day!!

he rang me Tuesday night and said, come Thursday it’s not ready,, ok says I !!!

got a call last night, Ian, I’ve got another bricklayer to do it. £ 50 cheaper than you,,

ok mate I said, thanks for the previous work and good luck to you!

can’t you match his price he said ?

yes I said,,,,, but I’m not going to!! I’m sick of working cheap to save you money,, you agreed the price,, you’ve changed your mind, no problem to me Colin,,, good luck with it all,,,,

I’m hoping I havnt cut my nose to spite my face, but I’m just fed up with people who know nothing of the job that just want to save money,,,, now this is what’s going to happen,,,, I gave him a good price to build the extension,most of the face work has to be built overhand, due to a fence that’s right next to the build ,, I’m pretty sure the other bloke won’t want to do that,, for my price,,,, we shall see!!

anyway, onwards and upwards, feeling pretty positive about things, especially with the early reactions from my advert! Watch this space!!

I hope your all well, and getting to somewhere back to normal ? Xxxxx

I priced a tiling job, (can't remember the price now, we'll say $200) Client phoned back

"what would the price be if I did all the "fulls" and you just did the "cuts" ?"

"$200!"

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i tried pricing work from a book years ago always came in at about double what you could charge my builder reckons extentions are £1500 per square metre without glazing thats for the shell dry lined felt roof no services includes basic drainage

OP
OP
ianthebuilder
Oct 24, 2015
Helgas house
Funster No
MH
hymer e650 battered!!
Exp
None
i tried pricing work from a book years ago always came in at about double what you could charge my builder reckons extentions are £1500 per square metre without glazing thats for the shell dry lined felt roof no services includes basic drainage

yes mitzi, I look at a price between £1,200 and £1,400 per mtrs ,,, usually,, On average! X

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back