Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
We are away in our motorhome for a few days ,there is a bus stop outside the site,it's a nice well laid out site between Shrewsbury and Oswestry.
The owners have recently taken on this site,all facilities are good,clean,and we'll maintained.
I just can't understand why the site is nearly empty they have loads of pitches available and the owners are really friendly and accommodating.
The charges per night are grass only £27 per night,hardstanding with electric £32 per night.Having seen how hard they work I am asking not for any bitchy opinions but a constructive opinions as the owners are so lovely I would like to see them make a go of it,they must have paid a fortune for this site and as it stands as I see it they need to make a reasonable return on their investment.

Solution
Well I certainly did not expect the amount of comments I got , thanks to you all for your feed back ,good or bad,that's what's it about ,the site is CRANBERRY MOSS BETWEEN OSWESTRY AND SHREWSBURY,just off the A5,about 60pitches grass non electric,grass with, hardstanding with electric, toilets, showers,laundry,washing up facilities, bus stop outside,no service on Sundays.
Small amount of goods sold in reception, no play area for kids,no shops nearby,or pubs.
But I have to say it suited our needs.
Then I for one will try it. Looks good👍

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
Their prices look average to me if its the site I am thinking off, ex C&CC site. As a comparison we have a booking for CAMC Beechwood Grange York in August at £36.80 per night for MoHo and 2 adults. To be fair we don't book on price but rather the location. If its where we need to be we will usually book it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
It depends what other facilities they have. Grass pitches, no electric seems a bit high. If there are showers, washing up facilities etc then it is perhaps comparable to a cmc site and hs pitches don’t sound too bad. It is a really nice area of the country, have they linked in with the tourist office in Shropshire?
you don’t say how big it is. For us, we might go there if exactly right position and bus stop might be an attraction if there is a reasonable service to and from Shrewsbury. If very large, we would be put off, and it is more than we usually pay. We tend to always use our own facilities, so don’t like paying £30 for a pitch, water and electricity.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Less than £225 for a weeks holiday
Still 50% more than my pension,
I use a site in sussex. grass pitches, water & toilets, no music ,no electric, £7pp/ night , excellent short walk for a choice of pubs /restaurants.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Quite possibly expensive as you can stay on the showground at Shrewsbury with electric for £20 and a short walk into town, But without knowing where the site is and what it has to offer its really difficult to generalise.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If it was where I needed to be I might use it but wouldn't go there otherwise unless it was very well marketed with stuff I was interested in.

Just how far is it to Shrewsbury / Oswestry? Are there cycle rides (ideally off road) or walks? Other attractions?

What facilities are there - laundry etc?

If it's a basic site without extras then it's probably a little on the expensive side. We pay between £12 (winter) and £18 (summer) a night with EHU, water and grey water disposal on the pitch plus black water disposal at a smell free distance - no other facilities but bus stop within half a mile (express buses each way every 30 minutes or so) and cycle path nearby as well as supermarket within walking distance for our favourite site just off the A1(M) in County Durham.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
It would be nice if the op came back and give us a bit more info and why he thinks it is worth it.
Has it got a clubhouse with cheap booze, swimming pool, kids play area what?
We don't really know what we are pricing.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
It would be nice if the op came back and give us a bit more info and why he thinks it is worth it.
Has it got a clubhouse with cheap booze, swimming pool, kids play area what?
We don't really know what we are pricing.
Spot on!

And we are all different,what is good for me may be hated by others. For some,just having a bus stop nearby is the clincher. For others it may be a nearby pub……….

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks
My opinion?
Firstly,there are quite a lot of folk with motorhomes costing up to £100k who won’t pay £5 over the odds on a site. Quite odd!
Secondly,that part of the world is very underrated so will never attract the volume market. For me,that is an attraction as it means less people!! I recall many years ago,when chatting at work about going to Shropshire on holiday,it was obvious quite a few folk didn’t reallyeven know where it was!

As for the price,I don’t mind paying over the odds if the site has what I’m looking for. There are no pockets in a shroud,and I’m trying to spend it,but not everybody is in that situation.

They need to be sure what their best selling points are,and advertise accordingly.
What has the cost of a motorhome got to do with campsite charges? There seems to be a lot of price hiking going with campsites going on. I will choose a site based on value and location not on what I paid for my motorhom.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
What has the cost of a motorhome got to do with campsite charges? There seems to be a lot of price hiking going with campsites going on. I will choose a site based on value and location not on what I paid for my motorhom.
Absolutely nothing. I didn’t say it did. It just seems a little odd to me that if you’ve paid £100k for a van you could probably afford to pay a little over the odds for a site that has what you are looking for. But some choose not to,not a problem we are all different.

I too pick a site based on value and location.

Upvote 1
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Absolutely nothing. I didn’t say it did. It just seems a little odd to me that if you’ve paid £100k for a van you could probably afford to pay a little over the odds for a site that has what you are looking for. But some choose not to,not a problem we are all different.

That's the problem with this thread though, we don't know what it has got.
As a matter of interest I have just been looking through searchforsites in that area, and apart from the loveit or what it's called site, there are loads , some half the price of this one, so it's got to have something the others havnt got or its way over priced.
The op asked for opinions, and have give them, that's all.

Upvote 0

stevewagner

LIFE MEMBER
May 14, 2013
Pevensey Bay
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yonks

But you did you said you found it odd. I don’t see a connection between the two. Just because you may be in a position to pay more doesn’t mean you should.

Upvote 0

AMK

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
gainsborough
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Since 2014

Its not odd at all.

People like value for money and a site that works for them.

Matching the price of a Motorhome with the price of a pitch is Chavy

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Too expensive.
I remember our P.E. teacher stopping our football match and making us look at a passing train. He asked us how many people we saw on the train. In 4 carriages there were literally 3 or 4 people in total. He was South African and said they halved the train prices when he still lived there and then the trains were full. I learn't more from that interruption than kicking a ball around.

Make it free then put the taxes up.

I am up to be the next Chancellor of the Exchequer

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Who said it’s a cl?
Good point, well made
Guilty as charged of not properly reading the OP.

As a solo "commercial sites" are invariably more expensive than 'Club' ones.

In this instance perhaps as well as price being a disincentive, there's no brand awareness... so time is needed for word of mouth to be effective

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Advertising?

It's cheap enough (my opinion, others may think not) , but if people don't know about it, they won't come
Fine for tuggers, but not much use for Mh owners, too far out of Shrewsbury. The buses to/from it almost certainly stop around 6pm. Although we live here , wehn we do a mh meet we do it at the showground, OK facilities arent very good but we have our own and you get loads of space and its a hop and a jump from the town centre.

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Who said it’s a cl?
Good point, well made
Guilty as charged of not properly reading the OP.

As a solo "commercial sites" are invariably more expensive than 'Club' ones.

In this instance perhaps as well as price being a disincentive, there's no brand awareness... so time is needed for word of mouth to be effective

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bluethunder

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
We are away in our motorhome for a few days ,there is a bus stop outside the site,it's a nice well laid out site between Shrewsbury and Oswestry.
The owners have recently taken on this site,all facilities are good,clean,and we'll maintained.
I just can't understand why the site is nearly empty they have loads of pitches available and the owners are really friendly and accommodating.
The charges per night are grass only £27 per night,hardstanding with electric £32 per night.Having seen how hard they work I am asking not for any bitchy opinions but a constructive opinions as the owners are so lovely I would like to see them make a go of it,they must have paid a fortune for this site and as it stands as I see it they need to make a reasonable return on their investment.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bluethunder

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
Well I certainly did not expect the amount of comments I got , thanks to you all for your feed back ,good or bad,that's what's it about ,the site is CRANBERRY MOSS BETWEEN OSWESTRY AND SHREWSBURY,just off the A5,about 60pitches grass non electric,grass with, hardstanding with electric, toilets, showers,laundry,washing up facilities, bus stop outside,no service on Sundays.
Small amount of goods sold in reception, no play area for kids,no shops nearby,or pubs.

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Then I for one will try it. Looks good👍

Upvote 0
Solution
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Those prices are not exceptional, but I think the whole sector is going to have to review what they're charging in the not too distant futrure when foreign holidays open up again, next year.

We're off into Central London tomorrow: train tickets about the same cost as the fuel would have been, room in a very pleasant hotel I've used lots of times in Pimlico, £38 a night for two of us.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back