Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
We are away in our motorhome for a few days ,there is a bus stop outside the site,it's a nice well laid out site between Shrewsbury and Oswestry.
The owners have recently taken on this site,all facilities are good,clean,and we'll maintained.
I just can't understand why the site is nearly empty they have loads of pitches available and the owners are really friendly and accommodating.
The charges per night are grass only £27 per night,hardstanding with electric £32 per night.Having seen how hard they work I am asking not for any bitchy opinions but a constructive opinions as the owners are so lovely I would like to see them make a go of it,they must have paid a fortune for this site and as it stands as I see it they need to make a reasonable return on their investment.

Solution
Well I certainly did not expect the amount of comments I got , thanks to you all for your feed back ,good or bad,that's what's it about ,the site is CRANBERRY MOSS BETWEEN OSWESTRY AND SHREWSBURY,just off the A5,about 60pitches grass non electric,grass with, hardstanding with electric, toilets, showers,laundry,washing up facilities, bus stop outside,no service on Sundays.
Small amount of goods sold in reception, no play area for kids,no shops nearby,or pubs.
But I have to say it suited our needs.
Then I for one will try it. Looks good👍

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
It may seem expensive, but I feel, if you like it,it doesn’t really matter how much it is ( within reason), i value our R and R too much to worry about a few quid,,and I have paid more than that for a grass pitch and ehu , but it suited us,

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
They don't seem to be on searchforsites so it might be worth adding it for them and leaving a review.
I've tried to book a site in Bala area today, no chance fully booked until September. So I might give this site a go for a night or two.
It does seem comparable in price to sites I was looking at today that were booked up, but they were overlooking lakes.

Edit ; just found it on sfors. No reviews since 2019
It has an 'odd' website, click on any of the facilities listed and it takes to the home page. Whats on takes you to a Bingo night in 2020 ???

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
They don't seem to be on searchforsites so it might be worth adding it for them and leaving a review.
I've tried to book a site in Bala area today, no chance fully booked until September. So I might give this site a go for a night or two.
It does seem comparable in price to sites I was looking at today that were booked up, but they were overlooking lakes.

Edit ; just found it on sfors. No reviews since 2019
It has an 'odd' website, click on any of the facilities listed and it takes to the home page. Whats on takes you to a Bingo night in 2020 ???
Maybe they need help from a website designer,as in these times most business is done by searches and bookings,,maybe the OP should suggest this (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bluethunder

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
Maybe they need help from a website designer,as in these times most business is done by searches and bookings,,maybe the OP should suggest this (y)
They do need help in promoting the site on the Internet,they openly admit that they are not promoting as they should,I did mention company's like Pitchup,search for sites and even the C&CC but it was the high percentage of fees that put them off,Paul is a ex farmer and this is a family run business I think they did jump in at the deep end,they just need a bit of support.🙂🙂

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Bluethunder did that site not used to be a club site after the man in the adjacent bungalow who developed it sold it?

In truth, if the site served your needs and you enjoyed your stay the price is irrelevant. Personally I would drive on by and find a remote spot in the Welsh hills or a pub stop or two. I did just that a week last Thursday, past the gate where you are and on West!

Upvote 0
Nov 9, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Still think its expensive .Going to a none club site in Aug. 5 nights, hardstanding with electric For £90(y)
so if i went there it would be £70 more.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
We are away in our motorhome for a few days ,there is a bus stop outside the site,it's a nice well laid out site between Shrewsbury and Oswestry.
The owners have recently taken on this site,all facilities are good,clean,and we'll maintained.
I just can't understand why the site is nearly empty they have loads of pitches available and the owners are really friendly and accommodating.
The charges per night are grass only £27 per night,hardstanding with electric £32 per night.Having seen how hard they work I am asking not for any bitchy opinions but a constructive opinions as the owners are so lovely I would like to see them make a go of it,they must have paid a fortune for this site and as it stands as I see it they need to make a reasonable return on their investment.
I think sites at that price is too expensive can I assume that if you take children then it will cost you even more , as this is my beef about the C&mh club and c&cc if you have say 3 children in the high season (school Holidays )then the costs soar per night.

Upvote 0

Wabs

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Dartford
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E572
Exp
Always learning.
They do need help in promoting the site on the Internet,they openly admit that they are not promoting as they should,I did mention company's like Pitchup,search for sites and even the C&CC but it was the high percentage of fees that put them off,Paul is a ex farmer and this is a family run business I think they did jump in at the deep end,they just need a bit of support.🙂🙂
Why don’t you tell them to get involved on the Funsters site here,? There are thousands of members and that’s got to be a good thing,, it’s all great having a business of your own, but you need to be set up for it, ie advertising, marketing and so forth,,you can have the best plan in the world,but if no one knows about it,,,,it’s just a plan,,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bluethunder

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
Bluethunder did that site not used to be a club site after the man in the adjacent bungalow who developed it sold it?

In truth, if the site served your needs and you enjoyed your stay the price is irrelevant. Personally I would drive on by and find a remote spot in the Welsh hills or a pub stop or two. I did just that a week last Thursday, past the gate where you are and on West!
Yes it was owned by a gentleman in a bungalow adjacent, but after he sold the lease to another family who wanted to have it as a static camp site that was turned down by the council,they then sold on to the current owners

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bluethunder

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
Why don’t you tell them to get involved on the Funsters site here,? There are thousands of members and that’s got to be a good thing,, it’s all great having a business of your own, but you need to be set up for it, ie advertising, marketing and so forth,,you can have the best plan in the world,but if no one knows about it,,,,it’s just a plan,,
I agree with what you are saying,I have made many suggestions wether they take it up I don't know.

Upvote 0
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Still 50% more than my pension,
I use a site in sussex. grass pitches, water & toilets, no music ,no electric, £7pp/ night , excellent short walk for a choice of pubs /restaurants.
Where is that Gus? my neck of the woods and my price range, not quite a FLT but not in the circa 30 quid a night bracket unless there are Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically across the plain while I eat my beans on toast!!

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Their website badly needs updating - the photos show old MHs and caravan outfits so may be from several years ago. The references to C&CC still exist despite new ownership since last October.

There are good recent reviews, see https://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/reviews.asp?revid=7201

For us the location and the relatively high pitch fees would be offputting. Independents ought to be cheaper than the Clubs, unless they provide a wow factor. Or they are in an exceptional location. Neither really applies to this site, unfortunately for the owners.

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Yes it was owned by a gentleman in a bungalow adjacent, but after he sold the lease to another family who wanted to have it as a static camp site that was turned down by the council,they then sold on to the current owners

The gent living in the bungalow (if he is still there) worked for BT locally as did I.

Upvote 0

Jonno1103

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2017
Harrogate
Funster No
MH
F Line F70
Exp
Since 2012
If you want to stay on the Morris site in Ludlow have an awning and a pet it'll cost you £36.40 a night... and that's member tariff.

For non members that jumps to £39.90... a night.

Add another £3.00 a night if you want a super pitch.

The Morris site in Ludlow is 98% full until the end of September.

We had a week at Dornafield in Newton Abbot, a beautiful campsite. Their luxury serviced pitches including your own Elsan point are £28 a night, £26 a night for fully serviced grass pitch. Again the place was/is full.

Isle of Arran? £28 a night on Lochranza for a glorified gravel carparking space with hook up, no awning (extra £5 a night), no grey drain and quite basic facilities. Full... and you need a letter from God to get any type of restaurant reservation anywhere on the island this side of 2022.

Sites in France & Spain aren't particularly cheaper but most have good facilities are decent areas for the kids to play/swim.

Decathlon, the largest retail leisure company in the world, can't have camping equipment made fast enough. Brownhills, the biggest motorhome dealer in the country, can't get vans in quick enough.

It's the world we now live in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bluethunder

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
Just as a matter of interest, how did you find it, and what's your opinion of it?
We stayed here some 3years ago,it was quite busy and the buses were more frequent,I think it was less than £30a night with hardstanding and electric hook up,the woman who ran it then was a bit grumpy,( I since found out she had lost her husband ) so maybe I was a bit harsh.
As for now this site I wanted to go back,the standard has certainly improved and the new owners are really friendly and welcoming.
Yes I would go back if I was in the area or maybe a stopover 😁😁😁

Upvote 0
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I don't understand why 'stopover' sites, dont do as many French do and offer a two tier setup so motorhomes can stopover on a Aire type bit outside the gate without all the whistles and bells for a cheaper price. some motorhomes will just use that but never would have used the full site setup so its a nice bit of extra cash for not much and others will turn up planning just a stopover and be enticed into the site - yes Ive seen even French Mh's do that, especially if the aire bit is full.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Bluethunder

Bluethunder

Free Member
Jul 5, 2020
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoqest 155
Exp
6years
We stopped for one night here a couple of weeks ago Church House Farm, Cross Gates. lovely simple site on grass (there are a few hard standing) for £13 per night EHU extra.
We've used this site before and always been welcomed by the owners.
Looks pretty good.😁😁

Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2021
Truro, UK
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
2011-2013 and 2020 until now
The Love2stay site which is only a couple of miles away on the outskirts of Shrewsbury, (but still too far out to walk in,) are currently charging £58 a night for unit and two people 😲😲
And that’s probably empty too! We’re on a lovely immaculate site hard standing water and electric on pitch Ross on wye £121 for 5 days 😊

Upvote 0

Jethro

Free Member
Nov 19, 2018
Funster No
MH
Autotrail cheyenne
Exp
2 months
My opinion?
Firstly,there are quite a lot of folk with motorhomes costing up to £100k who won’t pay £5 over the odds on a site. Quite odd!
Secondly,that part of the world is very underrated so will never attract the volume market. For me,that is an attraction as it means less people!! I recall many years ago,when chatting at work about going to Shropshire on holiday,it was obvious quite a few folk didn’t reallyeven know where it was!

As for the price,I don’t mind paying over the odds if the site has what I’m looking for. There are no pockets in a shroud,and I’m trying to spend it,but not everybody is in that situation.

They need to be sure what their best selling points are,and advertise accordingly.

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2020
Harpenden
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Bit too expensive for us. We are accustomed to travelling in Europe at a substantially lower cost per night. I can only assume it’s a combination of advertising and price if the site is well kept and the owners are friendly.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The op asked for opinions as to why it hasn't got a lot on.
Well it would appear to be a combination of things, a bit out of the way, high rates, nothing of note on the site, but the main thing is definitely advertising, how are they going to get anyone on if no one knows they are there, it's not as if it is a recognised holiday area where they might get passing trade.
The very first thing they need to do is get someone, maybe the op, to put it on park4night, and searchforsites, this won't cost anything, and will work better than their own website.
But in doing this they might also have to drop their prices a bit to come in line with other places around them.

Upvote 0

jacksmith

Free Member
Jul 27, 2020
High Wycombe
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E495 2007
Exp
since Feb 2019
It's all about marketing. If customers can only choose on price they will usually choose the cheapest, even if they can afford more. To justify charging more you have to find a target customer base, tailor your offering to them and then and then get your message out to them. It's also worth remembering that a half-full site at £30 a pitch is making more money than a full site at £15 a pitch, and also has room to grow the business further.

Upvote 1

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back