Where are all the brits (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I know it will be said they saw me coming:( but just where are all the Brits in this buetiful sun in France we have been down here 3 weeks and can count on one hand Brits we have met, much the same for Germans and Dutch .
We have been to mortagne today and every van there was French.
Just never seen it like this before no idea the reason.
Nothing new chaser, 30+ years ago it was the same. Northern Europeans don't tend to visit after the schools have returned from their summer break. They either go home or go south....:cool:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
It's not as cheap to travel in France as it was 20 or 30 years ago..

Fuel is now about the same price as the UK. Autoroute Tolls add to the cost, albeit they are not mandatory.

It's not cheap getting to France, ferry fares have risen quite a lot in the past few years..

and it's certainly not cheap living in France, foodstuffs are more expensive than the UK

Many camp sites, even places like Parc Verger and Twin Lakes are just as expensive if not more so than UK sites .. high season expect to pay well over £30 in a touristy areas.

I didn't mention booze.. or fags as we use neither.

All these factors combined with the poor exchange rate makes France an expensive destination.

For us, the days of the cheap fuel and cheap touring in France are but a distant memory and maybe over.

UK has become more popular, even with foreigners.. we often see Dutch, French and German vans.. touring in Suffolk..

Like many, we are now planning more trips and holidays in the UK .. it was one of the reasons we sold the motorhome and bought the caravan..as we always stay on sites, may as well have a caravan with the benefit of a car for sightseeing and day trips. Also, parking a motorhome in the UK is becoming more and more difficult..

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
On the other hand, I guess (only guess) that if one wants to meet lots of Brits, then Blighty might be a good place to start.

You would be hard pressed on that score JJ :rolleyes:.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
What is a surprise though , we always come at this time of year as it is still warm, hot, this year things still open and a lot quieter than earlier in the year and wonder why all on here who say they go to france don't take advantage, I know work and kids hold a lot back but we usually see lots of Brits but not this time, of the few we have seen half were just on their way to Portugal for the winter.

Deleted User
Mainly Portuguese here as you would expect, then French, a few brits, not too many.
A really nice place to visit is Portugal especially the north.
Phil

We came down to the Algarve last week via northern Spain and Portugal, a few Brits about but all the aires that we stopped on were mainly French

Drove down the upper Douro, and what a magnificent drive that is, the aire at Peso de Regua was almost full of French, out of about 30 vans, 2 Brits, 1 Dutch and one Swiss........the big attraction....free electricity......supposed to be €3 but nobody came round to collect.

Highly recommended even at the princely sum of €3, new facilities overlooking the river and additional spaces off the aire nearer to the river but also used by trucks.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
It's not as cheap to travel in France as it was 20 or 30 years ago..

Fuel is now about the same price as the UK. Autoroute Tolls add to the cost, albeit they are not mandatory.

It's not cheap getting to France, ferry fares have risen quite a lot in the past few years..

and it's certainly not cheap living in France, foodstuffs are more expensive than the UK

Many camp sites, even places like Parc Verger and Twin Lakes are just as expensive if not more so than UK sites .. high season expect to pay well over £30 in a touristy areas.

I didn't mention booze.. or fags as we use neither.

All these factors combined with the poor exchange rate makes France an expensive destination.

For us, the days of the cheap fuel and cheap touring in France are but a distant memory and maybe over.

UK has become more popular, even with foreigners.. we often see Dutch, French and German vans.. touring in Suffolk..

Like many, we are now planning more trips and holidays in the UK .. it was one of the reasons we sold the motorhome and bought the caravan..as we always stay on sites, may as well have a caravan with the benefit of a car for sightseeing and day trips. Also, parking a motorhome in the UK is becoming more and more difficult..
We agree on that for sure. We filled up at Jaca today @€1.22ltr now parked in Secorbe (not good, area is just at the road side by station). Calpe tomorrow. Then later in the week to La Oasis at Large Nucia for the lamb.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Well have got to say, coming up the West coast today we have met more brit vans coming down than we have seen in the whole last month.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hey @Portland we will be on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees from Pamplona towards Jaca in a few days time, do you have any recommendations for what to see or where to stay please? :)

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Hey @Portland we will be on the Spanish side of the Pyrenees from Pamplona towards Jaca in a few days time, do you have any recommendations for what to see or where to stay please? :)
Hi we tend to just use this route to pass through, however Jaca is a good town to visit there is an aire in it and you walk up to the town.
Have a good trip.;);)

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Most of the aires we have been on for the last few weeks have been rammed full of French vans with just the odd Brit, yet the commercial aire we are on now in Locronan, which is a gorgeous small town full of tourists only has us and two German vans. The car parks dotted around the town have loads of French vans on them and there is a never ending stream of vans stopping at the barrier to our aire, reading the notice and driving off. The reason? It's nearly 10€ for the night to stay with no electricity. Obviously the exchange rate has put Brits off coming but I think we have a long way to go to match the French for parsimony!
Quelle surprise,,French are allergic to spending money,,,BUSBY;);)

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We would normally be there at this time for a month after the schools go back but we both have various medical tests scheduled so had to give it a miss this year.

Portland

Free Member
Oct 31, 2013
Conwy
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
20 years
Benidorm has just suffered its worst month for British holiday makers, we have seen very few Brit motorhom on the way down, we are now on Camplng Med in C alpe with just one more Brit. Where have the gone and why??

May 19, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1995
Been in Germany & Slovenia for last month, very few Brits think mainly time of the year.
The next period for Brit migration will be Dec/Jan enroute for Spain & Portugal.

May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Funny I was in Welshpole, sorry Welshpool the other day and was asking the same question. Where are all the Brits :whistle::LOL:

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
Got back from a 5 week tour of France last Monday (Aquatine, Pays de Loire, Vendee & Brittany - scarcely a Brit to be seen!! :)

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I haved solved it, I called in cite Europe yesterday, bugger me, they are all there(y)

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
After 5 weeks touring France using mostly Aires no brits hardly. But on the two sites we have used for a couple of nights loads of Brits. Here at La Flèche more Brits than we have seen anywhere and it appears most are new to Motorhome life and using their van like a caravan.Drive here then park for 2 weeks then go home! Means more space on Aires for us!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
it appears most are new to Motorhome life and using their van like a caravan.

basically what we did.. and certainly not new to motorhome life..

aires are great for stopping for a night, but IMV for a holiday , a site is much better ... you can leave the van, go out for the day cycling, come back have a BBQ .. relax site out under the awning.. can't do that on many aires.. not everyone likes travelling every day .. and many aires we have used were little more than car parks , vans so close you could barely open a window..

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
We've been touring southern Germany and Austria for over a month. Glorious weather for all but a couple of days and seen no more than a handful of Brits. In fact, virtually nothing but Germans in Germany......what a surprise! Referencing another thread, our impression is that whilst some Germans seem friendly enough, there are more who ignore smiles and good mornings or are even a bit rude. I wonder why?

Sue

Aug 13, 2014
Suffolk. Near Bury st Edmunds
Funster No
MH
IH 600rl/rd
Exp
Like PVCs the best

aires are great for stopping for a night, but IMV for a holiday , a site is much better ... you can leave the van, go out for the day cycling, come back have a BBQ .. relax site out under the awning.. can't do that on many aires.. not everyone likes travelling every day .. and many aires we have used were little more than car parks , vans so close you could barely open a window..
The beauty of a motorhome is that you can do both...Aires or sites.
We have travelled through France and Spain and are now in a fabulous little finca for a week. Absolute comfort....true heaven. The van is great...but honestly I am thinking why not sell it and have this type of Holiday every year?
Hubby says NO!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
We have travelled through France and Spain and are now in a fabulous little finca for a week. Absolute comfort....true heaven.

yes, I agree.. we went to Scotland for a week and stayed in a lovely cottage .. all the home comforts .. and really enjoyed it, and when I worked it out, taking into account he fuel saving by going by car it didn't cost a lot more than taking the motorhome + site fess..

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012

Each to their own but surely a caravan is better for long stays on sites! Just my view and whatever peeps do is up to them.(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Each to their own but surely a caravan is better for long stays on sites! Just my view and whatever peeps do is up to them(y)

yes perhaps.. and indeed..

but your post implied that if they didn't do as you, they were "new to Motorhome life" .

that is being judgemental about how they do it.. and indeed how we do it..

as you said "whatever peeps do is up to them"

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Quite a few here at Parc Verger...!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun