What's happening with Britstops? (2 Viewers)

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021

Free is better then £17

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Clear there is not much consistency here. I have written asking why they have not processed my cancellation request. I will check, but fairly certain I cancelled the payment.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Who taught you to read a map? ;)

If it wasn't for my time in Cubs, Scouts, and HM Forces, I possibly wouldn't be able to read road maps, or 4 grid or 6 grid OS Maps, ie, along the corridor and up the stairs.

Map reading skills are no longer taught, unless one becomes a member of HM Forces, or possibly joins an expedition group, but even then, they use satellite navigation equipment.........as it can be so much more accurate, with less chance of human error.

Cheers,

Jock. :)
Me school, my wife is a natural self taught on road maps especially the lanes and byways where the satnav cannot cope.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Me school, my wife is a natural self taught on road maps especially the lanes and byways where the satnav cannot cope.
Obviously using the wrong Sat Nav, (or files contained therein), as my Truck Sat Nav programmed correctly, doesn't take me down dodgy or unsuitable routes, and copes very well.

I find it extremely hard to read a map when I'm driving, as it tends to interfere with my levels of concentration. :doh:

Cheers,

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
That’s impressive my misses could get lost on our pitch 😳

Ejaydee

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2018
Penzance in (usually) sunny Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Roller Team T 590
Exp
Since retiring
I cancelled my subscription but today received the following:

1710956072346.png

£17 is a lot better than the £44. No explanation, No apology. Is it worth £17 for another year?

I had a similar email, but didn't get offered as big a discount as yourself.

However, I have told them to stick it, and the reasons why. I got fed up last year with several "hosts" demanding that we eat at their establishment (which we probably would have done anyway), or else pay a 'fee' to stay overnight! Perhaps I was unlucky, but I feel the concept of the early Britstops has been completely lost, and selling the company to owners from over the pond plus the increased annual subscription costs was the last straw.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I bought the first (or one of the first) issues, think it was about £15 in 2014. With it being quite expensive I thought we'd give it a few years before buying another.

Nice idea but they got a little greedy and I never bought it again. Park4Night is free and better.

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
Map reading -- I used to do a bit of club level night road rallying in the early 1970s as a navigator, that taught me to read an OS map in far more difficult circumstances than looking for an Aire in rural France.
I also worked in Birmingham (not a native of the city) and had to navigate my way around with a black & white A to Z on the passenger's seat!
Now easy to find overnight parking spots with whatever the internet & Google maps throws at me. Failing that I still have an old version of MS Autoroute with a connected GPS receiver which is good for everything except the newest roads.

So we use Searchforsites whenever we need an overnight parking spot which will interface with most online navigation systems seamlessly when using their app on a mobile device.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I bought the first (or one of the first) issues, think it was about £15 in 2014. With it being quite expensive I thought we'd give it a few years before buying another.

Nice idea but they got a little greedy and I never bought it again. Park4Night is free and better.
I told him years ago (twice) that it was too expensive and he should make it cheaper by reducing the quality of the paper and print in the book. We just want the information not glossy pictures, but he wouldn't have it! I think it will probably self destruct now.

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
Motorhomefacts, and thankfully, not Motorhomefun.co.uk. ;)

Cheers,

Personal circumstances, and market forces will determin the path of MHF just as brit stops has. You can choose what to do after that, just as people have with Brit Stops. In the mean time enjoy and utillise what you have, nothing lasts for ever. (y)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Using Pubs was a great idea when it was more affordable to do so. But a meal for 2 is virtually £60 these days. Would be better if there was an agreed min spend, then would be interesting in resigning.

There will be places that do that. The Half moon pub in the river near Ironbridge is one scuch pub. £15 pay in advance. They give you a voucher which you can redeem against/drinks food. So a couple of drinks and some snacks and you have a great spot. Better than paying £15 for a CL site up the road with no such benefits. (ok electric and water if you need it but we didn't) We had a great meal and drinks for £30 (including the parking)

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I told him years ago (twice) that it was too expensive and he should make it cheaper by reducing the quality of the paper and print in the book. We just want the information not glossy pictures, but he wouldn't have it! I think it will probably self destruct now.

Well its digital now so even cheaper to produce. The problem is people post theses places online in apps such as search for sites and park4 night so no need to buy the book/subscription. Also - if you spot a pub with a big empty car park - go in and strike a deal! In the past they insisted you had to show the pub proof of membership but in my experience none did so its a failed model. Of course pubs will take the business and not turn you away if you are not a member. I had a CAMC CL who did that recently too!

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Personal circumstances, and market forces will determin the path of MHF just as brit stops has. You can choose what to do after that, just as people have with Brit Stops. In the mean time enjoy and utillise what you have, nothing lasts for ever. (y)
I was just explaining the origins of the abbreviation "MHF", to someone else who didn't know about FACTS, which came about in 2005.

Cheers,

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Is there any mention in all of these, just why you are getting a discount without even asking for one?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I was just explaining the origins of the abbreviation "MHF", to someone else who didn't know about FACTS, which came about in 2005.

Cheers,

yes, also joined in 2005 ..

popped in recently to see if it was still alive... amazingly my log-in still works..

it's limping along, like a wounded animal in it's death throws

Nov 1, 2023
Funster No
MH
Benimar 202
Using Pubs was a great idea when it was more affordable to do so. But a meal for 2 is virtually £60 these days. Would be better if there was an agreed min spend, then would be interesting in resigning.
Ha ha! Last time we used Britstops ( when it was new) saved a campsite fee by spending £70 in the Pub 😂

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Obviously using the wrong Sat Nav, (or files contained therein), as my Truck Sat Nav programmed correctly, doesn't take me down dodgy or unsuitable routes, and copes very well.

I find it extremely hard to read a map when I'm driving, as it tends to interfere with my levels of concentration. :doh:

Cheers,

Tried most of them none as good as a map. The map never takes the long way round and satnavs cannot read motorway information and diversion signs.

Oct 21, 2019
Halifax, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1985
I cancelled the recurring payment last March. This was acknowledged by Tom at the time. This March I received a message from them saying they had been unable to collect my payment. I replied stating the above and also the I wanted to cancel membership. I never received a reply but thought that was the end of it. Last week I received an email thanking me for renewing! I looked at my bank statement and they had managed to take the money. I was surprised they had managed as my card had been replaced so the number is different.
I have written to Britstop about this three times now but received no reply. I am now in correspondence with my bank to try and recoup the money.
Beware

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
I cancelled the recurring payment last March. This was acknowledged by Tom at the time. This March I received a message from them saying they had been unable to collect my payment. I replied stating the above and also the I wanted to cancel membership. I never received a reply but thought that was the end of it. Last week I received an email thanking me for renewing! I looked at my bank statement and they had managed to take the money. I was surprised they had managed as my card had been replaced so the number is different.
I have written to Britstop about this three times now but received no reply. I am now in correspondence with my bank to try and recoup the money.
Beware
Theft really

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Loving the app - much better than the book, various filters and much more info and reviews
Just had a stopover in a hotel car park followed by half price breakfast for showing the membership. £6.50 for full English and pastries etc plus offered a take away box for more pastries.
Made back a third of my member ship cost in one go for two breakfasts

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
There is no need to spend anything

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
Yes you're right there is no need to spend anything, as all the pub stopover sites are on this website as well as day parking and cheap sites and aires, I can't take the credit for owning or making it but I've been using it for the last 5 yrs or so

I have posted it multiple times and I'd rather donate to them than pay for brit stop seeing the issues with payments with them

During the times I've used this I've never been asked for evidence to say I'm a member of pub stop over

Last edited:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Thing is... if you were going to a pub anyway, it's a free nightspot

If you self cater, then a campsite 'might' be better value

Depends on what & how you travel

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Yes you're right there is no need to spend anything, as all the pub stopover sites are on this website as well day parking and cheap sites and aires, I can't take the credit for owning or making it but I've been using it for the last 5 yrs or so

I have posted it multiple times and I'd rather donate to them than pay for brit stop seeing the issues with payments with them

I hear what you say but I do like the certain knowledge of being able to stop rather than feeling I have to spend money and beg to stay. But, each to their own.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back