What's happening with Britstops? (1 Viewer)

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Shame loose the book loose a customer it was their USP that apps don't have

Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2021 (previous tent campers)
We’ve used it for the last couple of years, I do think digital only is the way to go, but the price increase is a bit steep!
I

l’ll check out the new app in January but don’t think I’ll renew at that price.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I have owned camper vans since the 70’s. Being a traveller and liking pubs and meeting friends I have spent many nights in pub car parks over the years. After going into a pub and asking if i can stay in the carpark for the night as I will be in here drinking and eating, I have never been refused. 👍

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
I have been refused overnight stay at a pub where a LOT of money was being spent on a wedding reception by my cousin. I mainly use BritStops for garden centres etc but I too am thinking that the price seems like a hike from what I have paid previously. I’m tempted to try it and make a decision next year.

Gordon

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
ha, thanks I did wonder. Never heard of motorhome facts TBH
Some interesting reading for you then if you like. ;)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Probably a huge savings in publicising the book and concentrating on the mobile version.

Think Steve and Tracy are moving with the times

As said above Steve and Tracy have retired. I met Steve at so many shows and he was lovely.

I didn’t like the fact they tried to justify the cost with “existing customers pay £39 for the book and £4:95 for p&p”. As a continuous payment payer via PayPal I didn’t pay p&p, so for me gone up £5:00. I don’t think it’s worth it now, so cancelled continuous payment and they’ve lost another customer.
I will have a look at the new website when it goes live in Jan, but sadly i dont think I’ll be a 2024 customer.

I have cancelled my paypal pre-approval.

Bye-bye BritStops.

I liked updating the book as it gave me ideas of places to visit.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The idea of britstops came from the owner visiting France passion and thought of starting similar here, and up to a point it works but FP is mainly farms and vineyards and not pubs as they don't really have the same over there.
We also used fp and have had wonderful stops in France, so joined bs at the start but it was never the same , pubs here is just a business to get you to eat and drink at their premises, but FP is more of an experience to see how the various farms and things work and you then please yourself if you buy as at the majority of stops you never see a soul never mind sell you anything.
But I'm afraid even FP is now going out of fashion with all the Aires and campingcarparks taking over and bs is going to go the same way now that it is all about business.

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Steve & Mandy have retired and sold their business to Harvest Hosts, their son has been retained as an employee to smooth transition.

I was an avid Britstopper because the format suited me, yes in theory one could do without it but I liked to browse/plan.

It is disingenuous at best, if not a lie to say no price increase - I've just checked [to make sure my Paypal continuous payment is cancelled] - and I paid £32 last year, delivered.
£44 is a 37.5% increase.
Ditto.
I've hung on with Britstops because there are a couple of stops which I love and which are Britstops only. They don't allow non-members to stay, you have to book in advance and give your reg number, and then book in on arrival.
However, last year I didn't stay with either of them. So my subscription may well be dropped for 2024.
That said, I joined the CCC and CMC post-Covid, but am considering dropping one or both of those, too. I know they're great for some folk, but considering I spend 80% of my time off site, and don't do much international travel, the benefits are marginal at best for me.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I have really mixed views about the whole pub stops ‘scene’.

As a notion/concept it is great. However, it seems to be evolving in a way that is somewhat disconcerting:

• more and more establishment want to charge motorhomers for the privilege of parking overnight in what would otherwise be an empty car park (particularly galling when you will have eaten/consumed drinks in the establishment)
  • more and more motorhomers/vanners view them as an alternative way of having a holiday (as opposed to a mutually convenient stopover enroute to a final destination).
  • associated with the preceding point, on one of the FB groups there are now regular requests asking if it would be permissible to stay in a caravan at a pubstop. 🤷‍♂️
In relation to Britstops, I can never understand the extent of anti-Britstops diatribe that is spouted on the various social media platforms (that seems to be based on the assumption that the vast majority of Britstoppers NEVER spend money at the stopovers). Those that extol the virtues of the various Apps seem to conveniently ignore the extent of the plagiarism that occurred following the publication of the Britstops information.

Ian

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I have really mixed views about the whole pub stops ‘scene’.

As a notion/concept it is great. However, it seems to be evolving in a way that is somewhat disconcerting:

• more and more establishment want to charge motorhomers for the privilege of parking overnight in what would otherwise be an empty car park (particularly galling when you will have eaten/consumed drinks in the establishment)
  • more and more motorhomers/vanners view them as an alternative way of having a holiday (as opposed to a mutually convenient stopover enroute to a final destination).
  • associated with the preceding point, on one of the FB groups there are now regular requests asking if it would be permissible to stay in a caravan at a pubstop. 🤷‍♂️
In relation to Britstops, I can never understand the extent of anti-Britstops diatribe that is spouted on the various social media platforms (that seems to be based on the assumption that the vast majority of Britstoppers NEVER spend money at the stopovers). Those that extol the virtues of the various Apps seem to conveniently ignore the extent of the plagiarism that occurred following the publication of the Britstops information.

Ian
The membership allows for charge free parking whether you spend or not.
Many britstops charge non members a fee.
The way l look at it I get a safe stop and eat drink and toilets
I have a favourite in Somerset where they are very friendly leccy and water - shower if needed and the breakfast is great
Stopped at the viaduct in Wales free parking if britstopper £5.00 if not but you get that discounted at breakfast
......think about it

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Sadly I found my self checking I didn’t sign up to renew automatically by PayPal
We used Britstop twice last year and we’re never asked for BS ID
Doesn't add up , sadly

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I was referring to pub stops, not BritStops.

Ian
Confused now 😕 is there another app or just the general term. Sorry if I'm being a bit dim

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Confused now 😕 is there another app or just the general term. Sorry if I'm being a bit dim

Perhaps I should have used the term ‘pub stopovers’ rather than ‘pub stops’. 🤷‍♂️

There are various Apps, and Facebook groups, that identify places to stop (including pubs that allow stopovers).

Ian

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I wonder how much it cost to get the actual books printed ?
If this American company already have an app up and running, then they've already saved the cost of the print run and just need to carry the info over to the app ? I would have thought there might have been a price reduction to pass on to the users ?
As an aside, does anyone know of any other apps that cost around £44 a year ?

Jan 6, 2017
East Devon
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morocco XL
Exp
since 2014
I have to say I've never really seen the appeal of Britstops - a pub car park for the night, mostly with the expectation that you'll go in and have a couple of drinks and a meal - so probably £50 a night for the two of us. This would make our vanlife bloody expensive compared to our outlay now. One week of that in the UK would pay for our return trip across the Channel. I can see how it might work for an odd weekend away - but not for us!

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
I have to say I've never really seen the appeal of Britstops - a pub car park for the night, mostly with the expectation that you'll go in and have a couple of drinks and a meal - so probably £50 a night for the two of us. This would make our vanlife bloody expensive compared to our outlay now. One week of that in the UK would pay for our return trip across the Channel. I can see how it might work for an odd weekend away - but not for us!

I’m with you on this.

I don’t like the expectation that we will have a meal and drinks.

I don’t want to have a meal out every night or come to it a drink.

I may have to consider joining CMC or CCC again for their small sites.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
I’m with you on this.

I don’t like the expectation that we will have a meal and drinks.

I don’t want to have a meal out every night or come to it a drink.

I may have to consider joining CMC or CCC again for their small sites.
As a lone traveller for stop overs or meeting friends it's easy depending on what we're looking for it's an Easy meet up usually in town so we can have a stroll around and then eat at the pub.
If I'm on my own I spend less but meeting other usually like nice food not weatherspoons type place and do spend more

Jul 27, 2013
Wilts/Oxon border
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since childhood!
Not if you're solo, and not if you mostly use non-pub Britstops. 🙂 My favourite Britstops are farm shops.

Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2021 (previous tent campers)
They’re not a holiday.
We find pub stops are great as a simple stopover. Especially in winter.
We often use them if we finish work on a Friday and head off straight away. Get part way to wherever we’re heading, nice meal, sleepover and head off again Saturday morning.
When you live where we do you just need to get the M25 done and dusted asap so the weekend can begin in civilisation!

Dec 5, 2022
Lichfield, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail navajo
Exp
4 yrs
Looks like britstops could be panicking, they extended there 25% black Friday deal till the 10th Dec and now offering 30% off to new members, that's definetly going to pee any one off that has renewed at the smaller discount.
As an aside I have messaged them and been told anyone that has got the current book will get a message around the 10th January with a link too join the app until your membership runs out on 28th Feb, will at least give you chance to see what it's like before parting with anymore money.

Jan 3, 2023
Whitby, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starburst
Exp
From March 2023
I have in the past been a Britstops member, then I realised it was nowhere near as good as S4S in terms of accuracy and value. I cannot see any advantage whatsoever with Britstops. I. E. I have never been turned away by a place that is a Britstop because I wasn’t a member.
The Marine Hotel in Hornsea would only allow Britstop customers when I was last there. Not a problem as I have always used S4S and stay at the Victoria Hotel anyway.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
The Marine Hotel in Hornsea would only allow Britstop customers when I was last there. Not a problem as I have always used S4S and stay at the Victoria Hotel anyway.
That is just one example but as I said I have never been turned away. It would be interesting if others were to let us know if they had been tried away because they were not Britstop members. I also wonder what Bristol's tell hosts when they sign up, do they encourage them to turn away non members, I wouldn't be shocked to discover they do.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Never Been turned away but do know of many who charge non britstoppers

Just luck.of the draw