What's happening with Britstops? (1 Viewer)

Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
Since 2021 (previous tent campers)
If you no longer get a book, how are you supposed to prove your membership?

You’re currently asked to show the hosts your book on arrival, we’ve never remembered to and haven’t ever been asked either.

I don’t know why the hosts would charge if you’re a non member, but I can understand them charging if you don’t intend on giving them your custom!
Do the host also pay to join the scheme?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
That is just one example but as I said I have never been turned away. It would be interesting if others were to let us know if they had been tried away because they were not Britstop members. I also wonder what Bristol's tell hosts when they sign up, do they encourage them to turn away non members, I wouldn't be shocked to discover they do.
It's perfectly reasonable for a publican to refuse non-Britstop subscribers free overnight parking if they've no intention to be a customer of the pub. I'm not a subscriber and have never been refused on the odd occasion that I've asked.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2020
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Columbus
Exp
Since March 2024
One question; what the percentage of pubs amongst Britstops? Aren’t there any farms or other rural businesses on the list?

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
what the percentage of pubs amongst Britstops?

Pubs are definitely the predominant type of establishment but there are Farm Shops, Wineries, Cafes and other types of establishments but I wouldn’t want to estimate the ratios.

Aren’t there any farms or other rural businesses on the list?

Yes.

Ian

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I can't remember where but we got turned away from one Britstop, a garden centre, somewhere in the Midlands, probably 5 years ago, because we presented an out of date book in April. We had the new book at home but forgot to pick it up. She was having none of it. She stated it was Britstops who told them what to do.

The other thing I doubt our American friends have thought of is that motorhomes tend to gather in rural areas. Many of those still have no mobile signal as here.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
The other thing I doubt our American friends have thought of is that motorhomes tend to gather in rural areas. Many of those still have no mobile signal as here.

Depends on whether or not it’s configured to operate off-line.

Ian

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
Many of those still have no mobile signal as here.
Unrelated to Britstops but it does jar me off when companies ask for a phone, you give them the landline. They then insist on a mobile so you give it with the caveat it does not work at home, always call the landline, yet every damn time the ring the mobile first and leave a message which arrives next time I drive 4/5 miles, but then can't read without stopping and is often days out of date. The dentist did it to me yesterday! 😠

Sep 19, 2019
Warwick, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis-t
Unrelated to Britstops but it does jar me off when companies ask for a phone, you give them the landline. They then insist on a mobile so you give it with the caveat it does not work at home, always call the landline, yet every damn time the ring the mobile first and leave a message which arrives next time I drive 4/5 miles, but then can't read without stopping and is often days out of date. The dentist did it to me yesterday! 😠
My mobile connects to the home WiFi to send and receive calls.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
Yes, had an issue with the surgery. They wanted mobile number to text appts and promised that if they needed to contact me for anything else they would use the land line, and that was on my notes. So …. Urgent contact, they phoned the mobile, left a message which I didn’t get. Why, when there was no answer didn’t they phone the land line? I removed the mobile number from there records.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
We are Britstop members and tried to telephone ahead to see if we could stay the night on a Sunday. Despite trying on at least six occasions at different times, there was no reply from the Marine Hotel. So we’ve decided to go and sort it out there (or not). Will post back later. Blowing a hooley at the moment.
Update: first officer has just booked us in at the Marine Hotel. Dinner at 6 pm, adked to see Britstops book and we can park till Midnight Monday.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I usually tell them I don't have a personal mobile. just a works mobile that is used by the on-call staff member.

If medical people still ask for that mobile number I ask how they will respect my privacy and confidetiality as it's a shared phone.

hja

May 8, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit Prim
Exp
Since 2019
I received the email with reference to the new site. Signed up. Not happy with all the measurements in feet! Very American. My van is 6.4 m, end of! I emailed with a couple of queries, heard nothing back. Our subscription is due end of month, don’t think I will be renewing. I was hoping there would be more non pub sites, there are, but by sniffling some of the CAMPRA Aires eg Louth cattle market is now on Brit Stops. I think we will just use s4s

Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
I do feet and I was born in 1970!
I managed to join with the discount (even I though I was already a member) but I agree the full price of £44 is too much.

RM_Marine

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2021
Poole, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Since 2021
You all could of just used this site with the overlays onto Google maps

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
I cancelled my subscription but today received the following:

1710956072346.png

£17 is a lot better than the £44. No explanation, No apology. Is it worth £17 for another year?

Oct 4, 2022
Henfield, West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Broadway
Exp
I would keep it for £17. Not for £44.
Not sure I like the autorenew though, I didn’t sign up for that it’s just kept my details!

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
Apps are the way to go for accuracy, especially if you can download offline versions.
Books are ok but quickly came outdated.

Same reason why 99% of people use sat navs and not A to Z maps now.

as for the cost??? not sre, all depends what its worth to the customer but it will reach far more than the book ever did
They use sat navs because they can't read maps.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I cancelled my subscription but today received the following:

View attachment 877800
£17 is a lot better than the £44. No explanation, No apology. Is it worth £17 for another year?
You are very privileged robin ... I had the same email today but with only £11 discount leaving £33 if I wanted to renew which I will not be doing.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
They use sat navs because they can't read maps.
Who taught you to read a map? ;)

If it wasn't for my time in Cubs, Scouts, and HM Forces, I possibly wouldn't be able to read road maps, or 4 grid or 6 grid OS Maps, ie, along the corridor and up the stairs.

Map reading skills are no longer taught, unless one becomes a member of HM Forces, or possibly joins an expedition group, but even then, they use satellite navigation equipment.........as it can be so much more accurate, with less chance of human error.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

Aug 6, 2021
Funster No
MH
panel van conversion
You are very privileged robin ... I had the same email today but with only £11 discount leaving £33 if I wanted to renew which I will not be doing.
I had similar email today. They haven't got my card details so the auto renew is not possible. Already decided not to renew as we haven't used them in the last year. I removed the sticker from the inside of my windscreen - it is a very gummy nasty one to remove.

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Me thinks we should complain .do they not realise we talk to each other
I would keep it for £17. Not for £44.
Not sure I like the autorenew though, I didn’t sign up for that it’s just kept my details!
Will be interesting to see their response. I'm away at present thought about renewing

Let's see what they have to say @britstops

Looks like they not longer subscribe 😕

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back