What is it with insurers?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales & Burgundy
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 1988
Today was the day for the annual ring around to obtain quotes for the motorhome.

Firstly, there was over £800 difference between the lowest and highest quotes for essentially the same cover.

Secondly, I rang the Caravan and Motorhome Club Insurance line who gave me a quote which was £140 more than my renewal quote with Safeguard. When I told them this they mentioned their promise to “beat your renewal quotation by at least £25.” I gave them my renewal figure and they were immediately ready to knock £165 off their original quote. Why can’t they simply do that in the first place?

I eventually went with Comfort who quoted almost £70 less than the C&MHC’s revised quote. (y)

Jan 22, 2019
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Each insurer will have a different profile of customer they would prefer to insure. If you don't fit the profile they want, they will quote you a high price just in case. If they turned round and said " we're not going to quote you because we don't like your profile..." there would be outrage, so they just quote high instead

The insurance industry works on a bait and hook model. Many people buy on price, so to compete they discount new customer quotes, with the idea that come renewal, only a proportion will shop around and they will make some of the lost profit back.

There is an argument to go flat pricing - trouble is, if you set an insurance firm to do that, I suspect you'd never win any new business and go bust.

In the end, the most important fact you highlighted about your final choice of policy, was the price. Not the Defacto rating for how well they pay out, or the level of cover, or their customer satisfaction scores, or their financial stability etc etc etc Its a very competitive market👍

OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales & Burgundy
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 125
Exp
Since 1988
Ernesto
I accept your comment re profile fit etc but was surprised that the two “Members Clubs” ie C&CC and C&MHC were happy to accept my “profile” as a member for the last 20+ years but were among the highest initial quotes.:madder:

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML-T 630
Exp
Not long enough!
maison renewed with AIB Southampton. It's the same underlying Aviva policy as comfort and they were a lot cheaper.
Worth giving them a call. Thete is a cooling off period I think on your new policy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 19, 2012
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Concord
Exp
Since 2009
I renewed one of the cars a few weeks ago .. old insurer (Direst Line) quoted +50 % from the previous year with no changes / claims .. new insurer quoted lower than DL had the previous year. It pays to shop around !

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
C Class Diesel RV
Exp
Since 1990
I'm in the anyone but Comfort club :D

Jun 21, 2018
Habrough ,N E Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2010
maison renewed with AIB Southampton. It's the same underlying Aviva policy as comfort and they were a lot cheaper.
Worth giving them a call. Thete is a cooling off period I think on your new policy.
I had been with AIB for a few years prior to last renewal and the quote was higher than the year before so I rang round and the best quote was Comfort by £50 , I told AIB and they said they had given me there best price ,so went with Comfort as you say its the same underlying Aviva policy

Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Owning my own a newbie
The difference was about £500 from the big clubs and comfort. You only know how good insurance/service is when you need to make a claim. I have returned to Directline for the car/house/travel recently because I have found the quotes competitive and the once I needed to claim when some kind person stole my 2 year old, just paid for car they were really great helpful and efficient. I am keeping my finger crossed that I will not need their services.....

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Another vote for AIB. Been with them for five years... and have 3 vehicles with them (y)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
C Class Diesel RV
Exp
Since 1990
Would you like to give a reason Jim?
Just personal. No reason that should stop anyone else using them.

Funster Discounted tickets to the NEC Show
Rhino Installs
Safeguard Motorhome Insurance
Friendly professional service from qualified technicians
SMC Motorhomes Newark
Johns Cross